HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 61: The One Who Swallowed God - Content Discussion Thread, Warning, possible spoilers for the first 61 episodes
Broken Chouchou
post Jun 13 2010, 09:10 AM
Post #16

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 55,758

Animation was bloody fantastic, but everything else was much less so. This was way too fast. Still have to watch it subbed, but I can already say I do not like this episode particularly.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Jun 13 2010, 09:14 AM
Post #17

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

They left out Hohos "stand by my side" sad.gif
I wasn't expecting Fathers old man voice. But I got over it.
Scar vs Wrath had amazing animation. I smiled throughout the whole thing.
It did feel rushed I suppose. They just didn't put in as much as they should have. I'd have preferred the the beginning to have more "Oh noes, everyone is dead" and show people like Olivier and Alex on the ground, as well as Heinkel Marcoh and Yoki.
They left out Greed shoving Mustang to the ground (faceplant) to dodge a father attack. That's one of my favorite's!
They let Father actually kill those Briggs soldiers. In the manga, Hoho stops him before the Briggs men collapse.
They didn't have Prides face shatter the way I wanted it to sad.gif

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
Mr. Deathy
post Jun 13 2010, 10:10 AM
Post #18

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,164

My feelings for this episode episode basically sum up my overall feelings towards Brotherhood I think.

An overable passable adaption of excellent source material, with some amazing moments but too many pacing issues overall to be even close to a perfect adaption and hence disappointing considering its potential.

Seriously though, I liked some parts of the episode for the animation, but I think overall this was extremely disappointing for pacing some of the best scenes in the series too quickly. Also, some anime only viewers are sure to think "what was the f*!@ing point of taking all the souls to have them returned INSTANTLY?" It was too fast in the manga as it was, but cutting ALL of Father's time being an unstoppable monster was ridiculous!

The pacing was worse than even my most pessimisstic estimates because they resorted to skipping scenes again. At this point in the series that's seriously strange. It really suggests that they didn't have a clue until after they'd already decided on the direction of this episode that they would be allowed an episode 64. I bet they only were given the permission to do an extra episode after they were supplied the storyboards for 108.

To list a few tragic losses in picture form: 1, 2. 3, 4 (the awesome oil drills) and 5 (art wasn't nearly as awesome as this panel).

The preview looks really dodgy by the way, it better be misleading as hell considering the importance of next week's episode.

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Jun 13 2010, 10:29 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (Mr. Deathy @ Jun 13 2010, 07:10 PM) *
My feelings for this episode episode basically sum up my overall feelings towards Brotherhood I think.

An overable passable adaption of excellent source material, with some amazing moments but too many pacing issues overall to be even close to a perfect adaption and hence disappointing considering its potential.

Seems we have similiar opinions. Brotherhood is likely one of the most uneven productions I've ever seen. I pretty much agree with all else you said about this particular episode as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Isa-Sama
post Jun 13 2010, 10:35 AM
Post #20

Citizen

Member No.: 73,546

The scene with Kimblee is just strange happy.gif'

It's a very important time in the fight Ed/Pride and the music when the face of Kimblee appears gives me the impression that he's the hero who comes to save everyone... Not really fitting I think dry.gif

He's a vilain with principles, that's all. What is BONES thinking ?

+Quote Post
Fawfulhasfury
post Jun 13 2010, 11:42 AM
Post #21

Citizen

Member No.: 31,483

Whatever to you people.

Anyway, this is the episode that made me glad Brotherhood was made. I won't be complaining about it anymore after this. Edward entering Pride reminded me of Edward opening the Gate from the inside in the first anime. Scar Vs. Bradley reminded me of Spike Vs. Vicious. Kimblee and Pride's scene reminded me of (Warning: Death Note spoiler under the Spoiler cover) Ryuk killing Light and his reasons for it.

I didn't think anything they cut was all that important; I liked the pacing.

+Quote Post
Irena
post Jun 13 2010, 01:16 PM
Post #22

Apprentice

Member No.: 69,592

While I wish that it wasn't quite so fast-paced, I always thought that some of Father's attacks were sort of over-the-top in the manga. It wasn't really necessary to cut them out, but it doesn't bother me that they did, considering the number of episodes they have to work with.

Kimblee showing up was kinda neat in the manga, but here it was just really weird. :| Pride getting crunched wasn't as epic, either.

It was definitely another one of Brotherhood's "blink-and-it's-gone" episodes, although it's what I was expecting, considering how hit-and-miss things have been throughout the entire series.

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Jun 13 2010, 01:18 PM
Post #23

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

I did do a double take "wtf" when it played the TRIUMPHANT HERO RETURNS music with Kimblee. It's like, "Hey BONES, this guy is a psycopathic killer, who delights in the screams of tormented souls, Remember? Don't give him hero music, give him some -yo suckas, i'm back- music. Thank you"

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
Mr. Deathy
post Jun 13 2010, 01:24 PM
Post #24

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,164

QUOTE (Irena @ Jun 13 2010, 01:16 PM) *
While I wish that it wasn't quite so fast-paced, I always thought that some of Father's attacks were sort of over-the-top in the manga. It wasn't really necessary to cut them out, but it doesn't bother me that they did, considering the number of episodes they have to work with.

You know because they rushed this episode, they now have 3 episodes left to cover just over 2 chapters.

Okay, one of them is the final chapter, which is 108 pages or so, almost triple the length older chapters are, so that's nothing to sneeze at....but...

They honestly have plenty of time now. Knowing what happens in 108, it's easy to see them fitting it all into 63 and 64. There was no need at all for Pride's defeat to have to be in this week's episode, it could've been in next week with plenty of time to spare I'm sure.

Next week worries me now. The pacing should be fine, but for some reason the art in the preview is very suspect.

By the way although I actually kind of understand storyline logic behind skipping to Father using the sun (perhaps you could say he took his time playing around needlessly in the manga), the fact they cut out one of Hohenheim's VERY FEW badass show off scenes in the ENTIRE series...that's stupid as hell.

+Quote Post
PaperFace
post Jun 13 2010, 01:47 PM
Post #25

Citizen

Member No.: 74,462

Great episode I thought, while they did try to cram way too much into it (even without the intro) I felt it made a nice change considering how often they've dragged out story-threads before, I'd have liked them to have done Hoemheim a bit more justice, he's never really had a chance to shine at all in the whole series and they cut his moment short here.. but other than that it's really building up well towards the final.

+Quote Post
black~hayate
post Jun 13 2010, 02:00 PM
Post #26

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 67,859

So I finally was able to watch it. The subs were finished pretty fast this time.
My opinion: I don't think it's rushed. But the fact that they left out the opening made me laugh. It's like "We don't want to spend the 1 minute as the opening. We better use it for something else. The time was used well, I loved that "baby crying when souls returned" thing. But all souls being red-blackish sure is strange biggrin.gif.

I noticed something. If Dad (lol Father) needed a Philosophers Stone so badly, why didn't he absorbed Pride? Seems like there are tons of souls inside him, as seen in this episode. If he would have had absorbed Pride, I think he would have won.

I LOVED Kimbley in this episode. People complain. I have no clue why. I liked it.
And Brotherhood explains so much. I remember getting confused on chapter 106/107 and now I get it all.

And the Royai was pretty good, too biggrin.gif Can't await the next episode.

And since it's relevant to the contents of this episode: Blind Roys eyes being grey means that his original eye color is black biggrin.gif. Not blue. It's seen clearly in this episode. Usually when a person faints or gets blind in anime, her/his eyes turn pale and empty. And the pale shade of black is grey biggrin.gif.

And I really enjoyed this episode. The sound was awesome. The animations, too. Oh, and VSBradley fight! I liked his hair turning grey towards the end. When people die, they start looking older.

Overall I am very much pleased. Very very much.

--------------------
You have to leave me alot of cute messages! I love messages =3

Bark! Bark bark bark!

+Quote Post
AXavierB
post Jun 13 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #27

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,365

OK, I watched the episode, and... I really don't know what to think. On one hand, the animation and music were absolutely amazing. When Father created that sun, when the soulnado spewed out of his body. It all looked awesome.

On the other hand, I feel the actual events of the episode and the way the scenes were handled ruined chapters 105 and 106. So many cool scenes were cut out, and dialogue was cut and changed in such a way that it didn't really make much sense without already having read the manga. For example, in the manga, Father's mini-sun was explicitly explained as creating nuclear fusion in keeping with the science theme. Here it seems more like magic, but maybe I'm nitpicking. Felt the same way about that purple Hadoken he fired at Hohenheim. What was that?

Complaining about minute details aside, I enjoyed this episode. I just... hate the pacing. I feel like it should've been two episodes, which wouldn't have been too hard considering how much manga material they have left to cover and the fact that they have three more episodes. I hope the next episode is better.

I noticed something. If Dad (lol Father) needed a Philosophers Stone so badly, why didn't he absorbed Pride? Seems like there are tons of souls inside him, as seen in this episode. If he would have had absorbed Pride, I think he would have won.

Hm, I actually never thought of that. Now that you mention it, that is kinda weird. That would've reinforced what Ed said about Father not really loving Pride, too.

--------------------
"There is no such thing as wrath inside me."

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Jun 13 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #28

I think the way it started out without an opening was great, it gave it a really cinematic feel.

And the animation was excellent throughout the whole thing.

My problem with this episode, is that the fight versus Father underground is shortened, a lot of cool moments are excluded entirely, and everything has a rushed sense to it. Things don't make an impression on you. I found it better the second time I watched it, but, this is not how it should be, it shouldn't require a rewatch for you to be able to enjoy an episode. It should be good on first watch, and it really wasn't for me. It was like everything just passed by - and I've said this before about Brotherhood - without really making you care notably.

When the ending music kicked in after Ed had beaten Selim as he walks towards the camera (they do this with the ending theme to add effect to scenes, as we know), it was a bit awkward. It was like it was supposed to be an epic, and climactic scene, but really, it didn't feel that way at all. I felt more inclined to shrug than anything else. It felt rather misplaced letting the ending theme start early here.

The music does it's job, but it doesn't stand out. Brotherhood is making the same mistake again in making a little too much use of the same number of tracks - at this point I would be expecting something new. Are they going to wait until the final episode to introduce new music? Because I sincerely believe they must have composed some new songs for these last episodes. Also, I'll add, thematically there was a very bad choice for music during the Kimbley scene, as stated. "Fanfare for the Brave" is not fitting at all. When did Kimbley become one of the good guys?

Score: 2.5/5

--------------------

+Quote Post
AXavierB
post Jun 13 2010, 03:15 PM
Post #29

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,365

I hope FUNimation finds hot!Father's grandpa voice weird too and gives him a younger voice actor. Doubt it'll happen, though. But I was hoping they could get Aaron Dismuke to do his voice since he'll be voicing Hohenheim in the Xerxes flashback.

--------------------
"There is no such thing as wrath inside me."

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Jun 13 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #30

QUOTE (AXavierB @ Jun 14 2010, 12:15 AM) *
But I was hoping they could get Aaron Dismuke to do his voice since he'll be voicing Hohenheim in the Xerxes flashback.

I've said it already; as things are, that wouldn't make any sense. In fact, it would be contradictory.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2016 - 08:31 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css