HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Should I Watch FMA-1 Or FMA:B First?
Which to watch first, FMA or FMA:B
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 105
Guests cannot vote 
Tsumiko
post Aug 7 2009, 09:58 AM
Post #31

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 63,331

honestly I was scared to watch FMA just after watching few AMV's on YouTube. The main scene that made me so scared was Roys suicidal try (and fullmetal vs. flame with this strange ending) . So I think if one knows manga and got used to characters and their features, should probably watch Brotherhood first.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eddman
post Aug 26 2009, 01:52 PM
Post #32

Citizen

Member No.: 70,797

~ Watching Fma-1 Before Fma: Brotherhood: How Many Episodes Of Fma-1 Should I Watch? ~

I know that others have already made this question, but the answer wasn't definite. So, let me put it like this:
I'm planning to watch 28 episodes of FMA, in order to not to miss anything important that is also in manga, then start watching FMA: Brotherhood.
Is it enough? or maybe I should watch more?

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Aug 26 2009, 02:26 PM
Post #33

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 3,267

QUOTE (eddman @ Aug 26 2009, 01:52 PM) *
I know that others have already made this question, but the answer wasn't definite. So, let me put it like this:
I'm planning to watch 28 episodes of FMA, in order to not to miss anything important that is also in manga, then start watching FMA: Brotherhood.
Is it enough? or maybe I should watch more?

Watching the first FMA is not a supplement to the early parts of the manga. Even in the early parts of the first FMA anime there are differences from the manga storyline (the differences just get even greater as the series goes on.) If you want to find out what is missing from Brotherhood then your best bet is to read the manga.

+Quote Post
eddman
post Aug 26 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #34

Citizen

Yes, I'm aware of that, but the differences aren't that big. As far as I know it's after episode 28 that first FMA became really different compared to manga. Am I right?

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Aug 26 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #35

QUOTE (eddman @ Aug 26 2009, 02:36 PM) *
Yes, I'm aware of that, but the differences aren't that big. As far as I know it's after episode 28 that first FMA became really different compared to manga. Am I right?

Actually yes in some cases they are even in the early episodes. If you consider the fact that later events build on those earlier scenes than even minor changes can have a big impact.

+Quote Post
eddman
post Aug 26 2009, 03:24 PM
Post #36

Citizen

OK, read this. http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=95318
Now it clearly says: "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood will deviate from the story of the first TV series and proceed to a brand new chapter from July 12th (episode 15)."
I just want to know, at which episode, first anime completely stops following manga? that's it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fullm...hemist_episodes

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Aug 26 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (eddman @ Aug 26 2009, 04:24 PM) *
OK, read this. http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=95318
Now it clearly says: "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood will deviate from the story of the first TV series and proceed to a brand new chapter from July 12th (episode 15)."
I just want to know, which episode that is in the first anime?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fullm...hemist_episodes

You are not getting what I am saying: Look I've seen the first series, read all the manga, and I am currently watching Brotherhood.

Yes the first series covers scenes of the manga to a point. But even those scenes it covers are different from the manga version.

For someone who has already seen the first series but has not read the manga it would be understandable why they would be frustrated at the early episodes of Brotherhood because they are similar to the first series (but similar does not mean the same). That is why that information is on MAL because it is telling these viewers that Brotherhood will eventually become completely different from the first series by episode 15.

But I don't understand why anyone would watch the early episodes of the first FMA and then the later episodes of Brotherhood. That makes no sense to me because you are literally watching two different versions of a story. And they don't actually correlate when you put them together.

+Quote Post
eddman
post Aug 26 2009, 03:41 PM
Post #38

Citizen

Man, I KNOW THAT. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to watch FMA until some point, then watch Brotherhood's later episodes. I plan to watch Brotherhood from the beginning. I just want to watch those episodes of FMA first, that have something in common with Brotherhood. That's it.
Anyways, guess I found the answer myself. It has to be episode 34. Maybe I'm wrong.
Thanks.

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Aug 26 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (eddman @ Aug 26 2009, 03:41 PM) *
Man, I KNOW THAT. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to watch FMA until some point, then watch Brotherhood's later episodes. I plan to watch Brotherhood from the beginning. I just want to watch those episodes of FMA first, that have something in common with Brotherhood. That's it.
Anyways, guess I found the answer myself. It has to be episode 34. Maybe I'm wrong.
Thanks.

It seems a strange way to watch the series if you ask me. And I am telling you the first FMA will not fill in for what it is missing in Brotherhood from the manga. But yes I guess episode 34 of the first series is where they stop following the manga storyline at all.

And don't get me wrong I am not trying to discourage you from watching the first series. If you are going to watch it up to episode 34 you might as well watch it to the end. Just don't use it as a supplement for the early parts of the manga. Brotherhood does leave a lot of things out from the manga but it's still a closer adaption of the manga even in the earlier episodes.

+Quote Post
eddman
post Aug 26 2009, 04:00 PM
Post #40

Citizen

Yes, thank you. That's the answer I was seeking. FMA 1 completely stops following manga after episode 34. Done.
I was planning to have a look at manga too.
The reason that I don't want to watch FMA till the end, is that I don't like animes that part ways with the manga, like Gantz and Berserk. I really liked those mangas and their animes just spoiled them. And yes, I know. FMA is a great anime, but as I said, it stopped following manga. I may watch it till the end though.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Aug 26 2009, 07:22 PM
Post #41

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

All right then, seems that's settled, right? ^^ That was an interesting question. Thank you for the fine advise, Kirara, and welcome to our board, eddman! Hope you will enjoy watching the series! biggrin.gif

Closing the thread. I'll be adding these posts to Should I watch FMA:1 or FMA:B first? thread later. I think this discussion would add a nice dimension to that topic. smile.gif

ETA: Thread merged.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fallen Gemini
post Aug 27 2009, 02:00 PM
Post #42

Citizen

Member No.: 22,736

As of now, l think the first series has a better beginning than brotherhood. Prior to Hugh's death, the first anime somewhat follows the manga more closely than brotherhood. I mean, FMAB is made to be more accurate to the manga than FMA, yet they remove some chars/eps/parts so that the series can enter the manga arc quicker

In my opinion, this causes some problems since it makes Hugh's death less emotional in FMAB. It also makes some important eps less important. For instance, other than one line, Rose's devotation to revive her boyfriend is greatly omitted in the new series. Even some "filler" eps like the bandits on the train(which is also in the manga) isn't seen in this series.

I prefer FMA more than FMAB, however, that is because l have seen the entire first series whereas FMAB is still going. IMO, FMAB is actually getting better after the Hugh arc whereas the eps now focuses on the characters rather than just to the story. I wouldn't be suprised if l would end up liking FMAB more than FMA.

I do not think it would hurt watching FMA first since l believe Bones intentionally made the FMAB the way it is so that the audience can watch FMA and see the difference in FMAB

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Aug 27 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #43

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Reminder:

Presumably, some people who hasn't watched the series may read this thread for some advise on which series to watch first, etc., and hence we ask everyone to be very vigilant with any spoilers for both FMA series when posting your opinion and advise on this thread. Thanks!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Aug 27 2009, 03:26 PM
Post #44

QUOTE (Fallen Gemini @ Aug 27 2009, 03:00 PM) *
As of now, l think the first series has a better beginning than brotherhood. Prior to Hugh's death, the first anime somewhat follows the manga more closely than brotherhood. I mean, FMAB is made to be more accurate to the manga than FMA, yet they remove some chars/eps/parts so that the series can enter the manga arc quicker

In my opinion, this causes some problems since it makes Hugh's death less emotional in FMAB. It also makes some important eps less important. For instance, other than one line, Rose's devotation to revive her boyfriend is greatly omitted in the new series. Even some "filler" eps like the bandits on the train(which is also in the manga) isn't seen in this series.

I prefer FMA more than FMAB, however, that is because l have seen the entire first series whereas FMAB is still going. IMO, FMAB is actually getting better after the Hugh arc whereas the eps now focuses on the characters rather than just to the story. I wouldn't be suprised if l would end up liking FMAB more than FMA.

I do not think it would hurt watching FMA first since l believe Bones intentionally made the FMAB the way it is so that the audience can watch FMA and see the difference in FMAB

I disagree that FMA one is closer to the manga in the earlier parts. Yes it has some scenes from the manga that do not appear in Brotherhood but it also makes many huge changes.

The Nina story is almost completely different (well not what happens to her but everything else)
The Lab 5 story is expanded
Al's memories storyline is handled completely differently
And on another note while Hughes does have a bigger part in the first series than Brotherhood. He just happens to have a smaller part in the manga to begin with.

And yes certain side stories like the train incident & the coal mine episode make it to the first series but these are handled differently from the manga versions of these stories. Especially the coal mine with the introduction of Lyra.

Then you have things like Mahjal, the Phantom Thief, and the Other Elric Brothers stories which do not appear in the manga at all. So yes Brotherhood cuts things from the manga but overall it's still closer to the manga version (note: I didn't say better)

As I said previously the only way to really find out what is missing from Brotherhood that is in the manga is to read the manga.

+Quote Post
eddman
post Aug 27 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #45

Citizen

If Bones did that on purpose, then they both succeeded and failed. Succeded in making me watch so later I'll be able to see the differences between it and FMAB, but failed in making me to finish the series. 34 episodes are enough for me.
There is no point to continue watching something that isn't even written by the original author herself. I mean, Germany, Britain, WWI, wrong.
I'll begin watching FMAB, starting tomorrow.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2016 - 04:45 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css