HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 30: The Ishvalan War Of Extermination - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! May contain spoilers for the first 30 episodes!!
Billea_the_Turtl...
post Nov 1 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #46

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 71,334

-Kimbly always had blue eyes?
-a touch of EdWin is always nice. At least we should be able to see the aftermath of that in Briggs.
-eyecatch of Riza
-loved that part with Kimbly talking about a soldier's duty.
-what's with Olivia in a commercial? oh and who's her voice actor?
-overall, a decent episode. but it was a bit too short for the whole Ishbal arc. I mean, come on, only 1 episode!? they better spread out Ishbal through some other episodes.

IMO for some reason Roy looked a bit weird to me compared to some of the other episodes.

--------------------
"Wisdom begins in wonder." ~Socrates
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
montyalbo
post Nov 1 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #47

Citizen

Member No.: 67,732

Like many others I was disappointed to see a bunch of material missing from this episode. But I have a feeling that we'll see the scenes later in the series. Honestly I think that the Kimbley flashback shouldn't be shown until after we get a proper introduction to present day Kimbley.

+Quote Post
zonkiethegreat
post Nov 1 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #48

Alchemists

Member No.: 55,197

Umm...this ep was definitely not as good as it should have been. I'm a little disappointed as many of you are as well. I think this needed at least 2 eps.

Am I the only one who feels like there wasn't enough emotional build up in this ep??? Everything seemed rushed. Especially the Ishbal annihilation, which in the manga is heart-wrenching stuff. I felt like the ep kinda fell flat in this regard.

And the Riza eyecatches were good, but not so great. I feel like they could have given her more detail and better lighting, and maybe not have her sooo hunched over in the second eyecatch.

All in it was an OK ep.

--------------------

Visit the Roy X Winry fansite : http://royxwinry.weebly.com

+Quote Post
Mistress of Mise...
post Nov 1 2009, 09:13 PM
Post #49

Citizen

Member No.: 34,631

The episode stood on its own; shakily, yes, but still standing - as long as you don't compare it to the manga. It pretty much just fails in comparison. There were definitely a lot of profound scenes cut and I have to admit I'm disappointed, but just going by what was in the episode itself, it was...ok.

--------------------

If everything appears to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post Nov 1 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #50

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,555

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Nov 1 2009, 11:56 AM) *
Oh, and Bradley was finally made justice! So far he's been looking chubby (facially), IMO. The lines of his face has been ridicilously thick at times, making him feel really cartoonish. Now he resembled his serious-looking anime1 counterpart more. Which I think is good.

They probably changed his face only to look a little younger in the flashback. He does normally have a lot of linework on his face, but I don't see how that looks "chubby"; he actually looks rather thin and bony with his current look to me. I'm just glad that King Bradley has a consistent design in this show. I read some of the manga, and his face seems to change shape every chapter. I'm amazed that the first anime managed to make Bradley look decent most of the time with the 30 or so chapters they had to work with.

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Nov 2 2009, 07:37 AM
Post #51

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,737

I think that having all of the Ishbal moments spaced out throughout the series is a huge mistake. Telling it all in one story arc really allows the material to sink in and you can invest yourself in the reality of that war.

And furthermore, some of the moments that were removed would not make sense without the context of the scenes that -were- in the episode, and vice versa. Mustang's resolve towards the end to protect as many people as possible is really most powerful when the viewer has really seen and appreciated the hell that is the entire Ishbal story before it.

Some of the stuff that I really liked that were removed:

Armstrong letting two Ishbalan survivors escape , who then promptly get blown up by Kimbley.

Rounding up Amestrian soldiers of Ishbalan descent, and the military using them, their own comrades, to create the first philosopher's stones.

Everything about Winry's parents, which gave them a sympathetic human face before being killed.

The moment near the end where Mustang's basically ashamed of being considered a hero.

The scene at the Ishbalan child's grave, and the moment when Hawkeye asks Roy to burn the secrets of flame alchemy tattooed on her back.

Should have been at LEAST two, preferably three episodes.

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Nov 2 2009, 10:19 AM
Post #52

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

particually since we didnt see Riza asking Roy to burn her back when a) thats in the opening and cool.gif the whole scar on her back isnt otherwise explained, sais to me that we're gonna get more ishbal, we've allready had shattered flashbacks in previous episodes, so theres nothing to say that we won't get more in later eps, particually since about half the opening is ishbal, that seems kinda rich if it was just gonna be one ep

--------------------

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Nov 2 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #53

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,737

QUOTE (Forsaken Love @ Nov 2 2009, 12:19 PM) *
particually since we didnt see Riza asking Roy to burn her back when a) thats in the opening and cool.gif the whole scar on her back isnt otherwise explained, sais to me that we're gonna get more ishbal, we've allready had shattered flashbacks in previous episodes, so theres nothing to say that we won't get more in later eps, particually since about half the opening is ishbal, that seems kinda rich if it was just gonna be one ep

That may be true, but having it dispersed like that makes the whole story much less powerful. I felt the weight on everyone's shoulders as they were experiencing it, because of the way it was told.

And the scenes that -were- included were done so quickly and without proper context. When in the manga Roy resolved to become furher to protect as many people as he can, the frustration, disillusionment, and eventually focus on his part were palpable, due partially to the scene itself being much stronger and more emotional in the manga, and due partually to the fact that it came after a pretty powerful experience for us the reader and Roy himself.

("'HERO'? I'm a FAILURE!!" Love that moment...)

+Quote Post
Nzm
post Nov 2 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #54

Citizen

Member No.: 70,107

Really good episode. Some adaptation mistakes, some missed things - maybe. But emotionally intense, musically great and still telling an awesome story. I hope that the soundtrack comes out soon.

The scene with young Roy and Riza, the conversation of Edward and Riza (minus the failed humourus 'I do not love Winry' stuff), those psychedelic war sequences, the insanity of Kimbley - it made it worthwile. As always, can't wait for the next one.

+Quote Post
Thalogens
post Nov 2 2009, 11:52 AM
Post #55

Alchemists

Member No.: 70,644

QUOTE (Forsaken Love @ Nov 2 2009, 05:19 PM) *
particually since we didnt see Riza asking Roy to burn her back when a) thats in the opening and cool.gif the whole scar on her back isnt otherwise explained...

I'm not sure if it's just me being unobservant, but err... Arakawa hasn't mentioned the tattoo since volume 15... right? I know she done an omake with the tattoo mentioned, but I don't recall a conversation about it explaining it properly, maybe she's saving it fo chapters not out yet o.o ... *goes to reread*
But the anime didn't exactly highlight the fact that Roy learnt his flame alchemy from Riza, or that he crushed her back... Ahh, ignore that.

QUOTE (Forsaken Love @ Nov 2 2009, 05:19 PM) *
...sais to me that we're gonna get more ishbal, we've allready had shattered flashbacks in previous episodes, so theres nothing to say that we won't get more in later eps, particually since about half the opening is ishbal, that seems kinda rich if it was just gonna be one ep

Yeah, and (hopefully) there'll be more Ishval scenes (like the Riza/Roy ones, etc) because people who haven't read the manga won't know the scene in the OP was the Roy/Riza scene... Hmm, the thing is... how on earth are they gonna put flashbacks only Riza and Roy know into future episodes? Does this mean Riza and Edward will have another chat... or will Roy remenisce about Ishval while gazing fondly at Riza?

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post Nov 2 2009, 09:05 PM
Post #56

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 52,558

I wish that they could have left more in from volume 15. But I hope that they will have more flashbacks if they fit into the episodes.

Did anyone else notice the fact that Roy's alchemy glove made a sound effect whenever he put it on in that episode?

+Quote Post
archronos
post Nov 2 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #57

Citizen

Member No.: 70,040

Perhaps it was the tremendous expectations I had for this episode, but I was greatly disappointed by this episode. A brief list of all the important things left out.
- Roy and Riza's meeting in Ishval
- Dr. Knox's brief conversation with Dr. Marcoh
- Basque Grand killing his corrupt commanding officer
- The soldiers under Roy's commando who latter return to help in his coup
- Armstrongs emotional breakdown
- Kimbley killing his superior officers
- The rumors surrounding the Rockbells
- The induction of Roy's subordinates
- And perhaps the most important one of all, Riza asking Roy to destroy her back as well as the explaination for her tattoo (feel free to remind me of any I miss)

All in all I'd say this was my least favorite episode so far (recap episode notwithstanding). It wasn't just my own hype but the poor way in which the material was handled. The series has done a relatively good job at condensing chapters in the manga to fit into a single animated episode but here is case where it simply couldn't and shouldn't have been done. What we have here are what are arguably the 5 best and most important chapters in the series. It's simply a shame to see the source material receive such a poor adaptation, hopefully this isn't repeated.

+Quote Post
Imbris
post Nov 3 2009, 02:38 AM
Post #58

Citizen

Member No.: 63,564

QUOTE (archronos @ Nov 3 2009, 02:51 AM) *
- Armstrongs emotional breakdown

Didn't you see him crying behind the wall he created? Also, they showed his breakdown in a previous episode as well in more detail.

And they're going to get to the majority of the stuff they left out, if I had to wager on it. People freaking out need to let the series ride its course before you scream bloody murder about ruining the manga or whatever.

+Quote Post
Jealous Rogo
post Nov 3 2009, 05:24 AM
Post #59

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,019

Okay a lot cut, but I do personally think people are overreacting a tad... alot of what's cut (specifically everything involving Kimblee and Winry's parents) will almost certainly comeNo id up again in the future. Other stuff (like the role of Fesler) was cut because it wasn't important, and the rest was cut but what stood in it's place did pretty much the same job, just alot more subtley (everything involving Hawkeye's back). I think the way the Ishbal flashbacks have been handled haven't been perfect, and I think I'd preferred them to have been lumped together like they were in the manga, but I then also remember that the manga still exists and is still sitting on my desk.

Yes it would've been nice to see the whole thing animated, but beggers can't be choosers, and alot of people pretty much begged for this new series, which is, if anything, an animated cliffnotes of the original manga. I also think it's rather amusing to watch people complain abou tthings being removed and changed in the tiniest ways here, when their are mangas and books that have been adapted and been pretty much gutted by the people adpating them (Harry Potter ring any bells?)

Now I'm not saying this episode was perfect, no, but it did a pretty good job of editting down a massive bulk of material to one episode and still getting the same basic message across; that Hawkeye, Mustang, Armstrong and everyone else in the military, are basically preparing their own nooses by trying to overthrow the military. I think it's something that's easily forgotten, but these characters we know and love are murderers in the eyes of many, and are not destined to end up living happy lives. It's a powerful message, one you rarely see as well, and I can forgive them cutting scenes that are almost certain to come up again in the future, to keep that message alive and well.

I officially love Kimblee's new voice; it's absolutely perfect. His scenes were also cut down, but they cut it down to show the bare minimum and get across the two sides of Kimblee's characters. The soft-spoken, charming gentlemen that speaks to Hawkeye and Mustang (yeah he was being a jerk, but he was a gentlmen about it) and then the insane, poetic mad killer that kills Scar's family. The shaking in his voice as he describes the sensation was just awesome.

Hmmm so they changed the Ishbalan soldiers to just generic Ishabalans, but I'm not too bothered about that.

Okay about... five or six people have said some variation on 'Why did they cut Mustang burning Hawkeye's back when it's in the opening' and while I'm surprised they did cut it and think it should've stayed, I also say 'bwuh? it's in the opening?!' because after those comments I've watched the sucker over and over and I cannot see it ANYWHERE. So can someone point out to me where it is? Cause clearly I'm going blind or something.

Now for the most interesting thing of the episode to me, which not many have mentioned: didn't Al and May's conversation seem tacked on? I mean really tacked on, like it didn't fit in this episode? Like they added it at the last minute? Like maybe they didn't animate it originally? Like maybe they HAD to animate it? I'm not saying that's what happened, but I am reminded of JK Rowling forcing the director to put Kreacher back into the Order of the Phoenix film, so maybe Arakawa told them the scene needed to be animated?

Of course if they hadn't, all of May's adoring Al stuff would have to be cut and er... I think that needs to be there.

Anyway not a great episode, I am disappointed with some cuts, but I also have confidence alot of it will come up again in the future (I can almost take a guess at the exact point some parts will be put in) I also just wanna point out again that despite all the changes this series has had, you gotta remember that we're really lucky the changes have a. been so minor and b. are taking place in the second series of a manga that's already been adapted. There are fans of other mangas that got terrible adaptions that are probably sick with envy right now.

smile.gif

--------------------

Please check out my comic if you have the time

+Quote Post
Flamez_Freak
post Nov 3 2009, 07:47 AM
Post #60

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 66,548

blind alchemist ova out...i know this is the wrong place to post this...but posting it here because ppl will read it...ahah..unlike in other threads...sorry...tombow

subbed .....

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2016 - 02:26 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css