"the Worst Thing I've Ever Done To Him", My 3rd fanfic-Memories of Ed
Hagane no Renzy
post Mar 13 2005, 05:10 PM
Post #1

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,256

-Prologue-

Ed's automail and flesh footed steps could be heard thumping down the soft, carpeted stairway of the Rockbell home. The Fullmetal Alchemist breathed in deeply, absorbing the peace in the atmosphere. He made his way to the first floor and sat in a large wooden rocking chair. It was almost seven in the morning, and he was the only one in the house awake at the time. Besides one boy who sat against the side of the house outside.

Al finally managed to get the thoughts of overwhealming sorrow out of his head. Those thoughts entered him at night. Without the ability to sleep, he'd have to stay awake...all night long. No one to comfort him but the moon in the night sky. Al sighed, and got up. Night was over, thank goodness, and he had a long twelve hours of happiness with Ed, Winry, and Aunt Pinako. Ofcourse, it would go by quickly, leaving Al to mourn against the side of the home until dawn once again.

Ed didn't know Al was outside. He was looking out the window, staring across the fields of his old home Rizenbul. He decided to leave the house and walk about outside. He loved the feel of the morning dew inbetween his real toes, although he knew that it probably wasn't good for his automail leg. He stepped outside to hear the chirping of the birds. He was content now. He wandered about, following the old dirt road with the run-down fence on the side. Eventually, he reached an old, far too familiar bridge that led to a schoolhouse. Ed had lots of memories of his old school.

-Chapter 1: Memory-

Ed was always jealous of Al when it came to 'popularity.' When he was nine, Al had tons of friends that would follow him everywhere during recess. Ed, respecting the fact that brothers didn't want brothers around them with their friends, stayed in the corner with no one to talk to but Winry. Yes, Ed got very jealous. And things would sometimes get worse.

It was late night at the Elric house. Ed and Al decided to sleep up in the attic where many old alchemy books were. When they slept up there, they talked to eachother about random little nothings for hours until slumber took them over. This one night, one of their usual topics came up.

Ed whispered to Al, "Do you think Winry is kind of cute?"

Al blushed and nodded, "Yah...kind of."

A conversation instantly emerged.
"Well? Do you think you'll marry her?"
"Yah! I will, I think."
"No way Al! I'm gonna marry her!"
"Nope. Because I'll ask her first, and she'll have to say yes because I'm stronger!"
"YOU ARE NOT!" Ed screamed, although it was almost midnight and he could have easily awoken anyone.
"I am too! And I'm taller than you also! And you're a year older than me! Haha!" Al teased.
Ed flushed red and got angry instantly. He turned around, making a fit, thinking mean thoughts of the worst thing he could do as pay-back to his brother.
A few minutes later Alphonse turned around and apolagized. "I'm sorry, Brother...I didn't mean it, I'm honestly sorry! Really...so do you forgive me?"
Ed's shoulders dropped and he grunted, "Sure." He pretended to sleep. Of course, nothing was really forgiven. Al would get his, Ed thought.

--

The next morning, since school was off, the Elric brothers enjoyed a special day outside without work. They were quite aware of their mother's birthday which was coming the next day. Ed and Al were playing outside--racing snails, picking flowers, catching moths.
After about an hour of being outside, Alphonse saw the door to their house open and their mother leave. She walked up to the children and hugged and kissed them goodbye. "I have to go out for a little while now, boys," she said sweetly. "If you need anything, then just ask Auntie Pinako. Goodbye!" she waved. Ed waved and smiled, and so did Al, but the younger of the two seemed rushed. The second their mother was no where to be seen. Al briskly entered the house. Ed had a confused look on his face and called to Al, but he didn't turn back. Ed was still very angered at his brother about his comments the night before, so Ed followed his brother into the house in a fit.

"Al? Hey Al! Get outside now!" Ed shouted for no real reason. He searched the house until he entered the attic. There, his eyes met something marvelous-a beautifully painted picture. It was on large paper, with brilliant water colors and shading. He'd never believe who painted it. He examined it in awe, and eventually noticed that it was a painting of Trisha, his mother. Written on the back was 'To Mom-The very best Mommy in the world! Love, Alphonse' and following the passage was a little smiling face. Ed at first felt shock, then pride for his brother's work, and then instantly, rage.

Ed, quivering in half anger and half sorrow, took a few withering flowers out of his pocket. They were dying and had dirt and mud all over them. That was his gift. Some dead plants. Compared to a masterpiece painting. Ed felt ready to cry. Without thinking, Ed threw the flowers on the ground, abandoning them. He picked up the painting and, making sure no one was around, tiptoed into the living room with it.

-Chapter 2: Unthinkable-

Ed cleverly look to cleanest white paint in the house and neatly stroked over Al's birthday message. When there was no trace of leftover black ink, Ed took the prettiest blue paint and was about to make Al's work his own. But before he did, he got an even better idea.

Al waved goodbye to Winry, and gave Den a pat on the head. Al was especially fond of the Rockbell's dog. He continued waving as he ran in the direction to his own home. Soon enough, he reached it, and saw a red shine from the window. The fire was on. Then Al instantly remembered what his mother told the two--to never, under any circumstances, put on a fire when she was gone. Al ran to the door to stop Ed.

When Al entered, he gave a suspicious look to his older brother, who was staring into the flames with malicious glee. Ed turned and saw his brother, and quickly stood in front of the fire, shouting with fake suprise, "Alphonse! What are you doing here!?"

Al remained cool. "This is my house, Brother..." he said meekly. He slowly walked up to Ed, his suspicion rising. "So...what're you doing?"

Ed began to panic. "Wh-what, me? Nothing, just...hehe, warming my arms..." he said. Al nodded, and quickly tackled his brother to the ground.

"HEY! What's the bid idea!?" Ed shouted, being wrestled by his taller but younger brother. Al got up to look into the fire, and at first was excited. Then his face slowly turned into shock and fear.

In the flames, the remains of Al's hardwork could be seen burning. All that remained was Trisha Elric's face, the paint melting off the paper. It burned.

Al stood there, dumbfounded. Ed got up, not knowing what to expect. "Ah, um...Al..." Al quickly shoved his brother with tears of rage in his eyes.

"Why, Ed!? Why did you do that? I w-w-worked so h-hard on it..." Al whiped his eyes, desperately trying to hide his weakness from his brother. Al shouted out, "I hate you!" and ran upstairs to his room. Ed's eyes were blank.

Trisha Elric was still out, and it began to rain. The flames in the fireplace were long gone. Ed stood, pondering, in front of the door to Al's room. He lifted his hand to knock, slowly, but then put it down. He did this several times before deciding to barge in. "Al! You in here?" he said. Of course he was in there. Al lay face down on his bed, his face in his pillow. Ed felt the spikes of guilt stab into him. "Umm...Al? Are you awake?"

Of course he was still awake. "I still hate you," Al said bitterly. Ed bit his lips, and hid his face away. He shouted out, "FINE! I DON'T CARE ABOUT THAT! I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU OR YOUR STUPID PAINTING!" Ed ran out to his own room to cry.

When Trisha finally got home late at night, she heard the whole story. To Ed's suprise, neither of them were punished. But when their mother entered her room, she didn't come out. She didn't come out for a long, long time. The worst part about this whole event was that Al quit painting. Although he was probably an art prodigy, because of that day, he never painted again. The brothers apologized eventually, yet the damage was done...

-Epilogue-

Ed clenched his automail arm into a fist. It was time to stop daydreaming about the past. He was fifteen now, and he had a job to do. "Brother?" he heard from behind him. Ed turned around quickly to see not Al, but a suit of armor. He shook his head. That is Al, he thought. He was saddened by the fact he couldn't even recongnize Alphonse any longer.

"Brother, what are you doing up this early? You should rest, we have to head back to Central tommorow." Ed, with a serious look on his face, nodded. He began to head back to the house. He stopped before opening the door, and without turning around, spoke.

"Al?"
"What is it, Brother?"
Ed paused.
"I'm sorry."
There was more silence.
"For everything." Ed entered the house and went to bed.

-Fin

--------------------
Quote of the Day:
"Zonkoku na tenshi no you ni...
Shonen yo shinwa ni nare..."
--Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cruel Angel's Thesis
Zio Animated Series
Zio the Matt! The comedy/action anime series created by me and my good friends! Episodes 1-8 complete...care to take a look? See them for free at the forums!
Mi Familia:
Kit- HELLO~!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tempest_Strife
post Mar 13 2005, 05:29 PM
Post #2

Citizen

Member No.: 8,631

Awwe.... I loved it... Even though I don't think Ed would be that mean to his brother...

Haha!! Al the artist!! *officially loves Al even more*

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Hagane no Renzy
post Mar 13 2005, 07:10 PM
Post #3

Apprentice

Heheh, glad you liked it biggrin.gif Yah, I was wondering what people would think of Al as an artist.

--------------------
Quote of the Day:
Zio Animated Series
Zio the Matt! The comedy/action anime series created by me and my good friends! Episodes 1-8 complete...care to take a look? See them for free at the forums!
Mi Familia:
Kit- HELLO~!

+Quote Post
hidden_death
post Mar 14 2005, 04:25 AM
Post #4

Apprentice

Member No.: 6,634

awesome-ness

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
ed's secret ...
post Mar 14 2005, 01:04 PM
Post #5

Apprentice

Member No.: 3,674

Really great!

+Quote Post
Yukina_Raven
post Mar 14 2005, 01:05 PM
Post #6

Alchemists

Member No.: 4,976

Awww! That was wicked good! Much angst! It's interesting to see this side of them. They may be close brothers, but of course they always had their serious squalls. Great job!

--------------------

(Sig copyrighted to Hikusa.)
Winter in Germany - POST SERIES! EdXWinry - Ed is trying to cope with his new life on the other side of the Gate. But now he must decide: Does he love Winry or her relfection? *COMPLETE*
My December - Sequel to 'Winter in Germany'; Ed returns after leaving again for 4 years after his return from the Gate. What awaits him is a very different place and a very broken Winry.
Brothers - A collection of short stories of Ed & Al's childhood. Implied EdXWinry.
Silkspun Dreams - Various EdxWinry one shots

+Quote Post
Hagane no Renzy
post Mar 14 2005, 02:08 PM
Post #7

Apprentice

Wow! //blush// Thanks a bunch, everyone!

--------------------
Quote of the Day:
Zio Animated Series
Mi Familia:
Kit- HELLO~!

+Quote Post
Le Monkey
post Mar 16 2005, 08:19 AM
Post #8

Major General

Member No.: 2,167

YAY!!

Good!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2016 - 04:05 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css