Reply to this topicStart new topic
Discussions On Character Names!
Nepharski
post Mar 17 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #16

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,257

The Crimson Lotus Alchemist, eh? That's a pretty cool title, I'll venture. Still wondering when Kimblee will come into play.

And what was Marcoh's title? I mean, in the Anime, it's "The Crystal Alchemist," but I assume it could be different in the Manga.

--------------------
Attention Manga Lust fans:
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

My LiveJournal, because I'm a closet conformist
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensenic
post Mar 19 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #17

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 11,694

QUOTE(Nepharski @ Mar 18 2006, 01:26 AM) [snapback]364780[/snapback]

The Crimson Lotus Alchemist, eh? That's a pretty cool title, I'll venture. Still wondering when Kimblee will come into play.

Hopefully soon (as in, at least from the 12th of April onwards in the best case sad.gif ), now.

And what was Marcoh's title? I mean, in the Anime, it's "The Crystal Alchemist," but I assume it could be different in the Manga.

No title so far for him. Anywhere. Neither the manga nor the PGB2...

And Scar, who somehow had memorized the names of all the state alchemists (go figure how), didn't recognize him at all.

So, so far, now he seems to be more one of those alchemists working secretly for Bradley and Dad (and so far the only one who wasn't "stoned" later), so undercover they probably didn't even need to be State Alchemists.

--------------------
貧乳神・・・

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Mar 19 2006, 04:38 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 23,257

QUOTE(Sensenic @ Mar 19 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]365917[/snapback]

Hopefully soon (as in, at least from the 12th of April onwards in the best case sad.gif ), now.

No title so far for him. Anywhere. Neither the manga nor the PGB2...

And Scar, who somehow had memorized the names of all the state alchemists (go figure how), didn't recognize him at all.

So, so far, now he seems to be more one of those alchemists working secretly for Bradley and Dad (and so far the only one who wasn't "stoned" later), so undercover they probably didn't even need to be State Alchemists.

I think Marcoh was more of a behind the scenes Alchemist, like Tucker. Not on the battlefeild. Since he ran away, they might have erased some records, or listed him as missing or dead or whatnot.

--------------------
Attention Manga Lust fans:
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

My LiveJournal, because I'm a closet conformist

+Quote Post
Sensenic
post Mar 19 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Nepharski @ Mar 20 2006, 12:23 AM) [snapback]365926[/snapback]

I think Marcoh was more of a behind the scenes Alchemist, like Tucker. Not on the battlefeild. Since he ran away, they might have erased some records, or listed him as missing or dead or whatnot.

Well, the "behind the scenes" part was more or less what I meant... But Tucker was the exact opposite, I'm afraid: He was a low-class alchemist who was used as a facade on the chimera research (as Greed's chimeras had been made far before... therefore they didn't kneed Tucker's knowledge at all), so he was kept public as the man with the best chimera knowledge to hide (my guess) the existance of the other chimeras to the other alchemists. So they don't begin suspecting things and stuff.

To put it on another way: Remember your quote in one of your sigs on "there is a world under yours where light doesn't reach..." or similar? Tucker belonged to the upper world, as a cover to this darker one.

And, for the rest, you're right... we certainly do not know all we can about Marcoh... But this one thing is certain: if he was a SA, his second name hasn't been mentioned ever (nor him being a SA, actually. Always been called a researcher.).

--------------------
貧乳神・・・

+Quote Post
NeoKakashi
post Mar 20 2006, 04:22 PM
Post #20

Apprentice

Member No.: 4,239

I own the second perfect guide book, so I can show my sensei tomorrow. I really want conformation on the subject!

Edit-It reads Guren, like in the anime, she says.

+Quote Post
Sensenic
post Mar 24 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #21

QUOTE(armor-alchemist @ Mar 17 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]364516[/snapback]

QUOTE(Sensenic @ Mar 17 2006, 03:53 AM) [snapback]364493[/snapback]

Uh? o_O Hakai-kun or... no, that guy whose name I don't remember (Murasaki was it?) that made a thread on PGB2 uploaded them...

If ya want, I can upload... one of these days x_x

But don't you have it already in Chinese? o_O

but eh well I am nerdy enough to want to own the raw scans too! *gets beaten to pulp*

like how I collected all the Tsubasa ans xxxHolic raws that I could get..... and yea, FMA raws starting from chapter like 44-ish...............

Poor harddrive. XD

(I compare them too... for the Vol 12 omake I compared the Chinese one with the Japanese one.... for some to get the actual translation as some words don't exist in Chinese, as well as getting the tenses right because Chinese doesn't have some specific tenses.)

*beats her to pulp*

*offers RAW*

*beats a-a to pulp again* Hey, this is fun!

PS: Sorry for the delay sleep.gifU
QUOTE(NeoKakashi @ Mar 21 2006, 12:07 AM) [snapback]366375[/snapback]

I own the second perfect guide book, so I can show my sensei tomorrow. I really want conformation on the subject!

Edit-It reads Guren, like in the anime, she says.

OK, thanks go to your sensei, then. and to you too.

So I guess in this case she advanced info to the anime ppl... So i guess we can expect a pretty similar Kimbley.

--------------------
貧乳神・・・

+Quote Post
AA battery
post Mar 24 2006, 07:49 PM
Post #22

Brigadier General

Member No.: 7,450

QUOTE(Sensenic @ Mar 24 2006, 05:06 PM) [snapback]368734[/snapback]

*beats her to pulp*

*offers RAW*

*beats a-a to pulp again* Hey, this is fun!

PS: Sorry for the delay sleep.gifU

Yay thx! *puking blood at the same time*

aww it's not the whole book- *gets beaten to dust*

--------------------
*June 11, 2013 - New Doujinshis Added*
Hi, I got a bunch of FMA merchandises (keychains, pencil boards, cards, figurines, book in figure red...etc) for sale at my LJ. Please visit my sale post here if interested! Thanks ^_^

+Quote Post
Antimony
post May 15 2006, 06:03 AM
Post #23

Alchemists

Member No.: 23,225

~ Character Names According To Arakawa-sensei! The secret meanings and inside jokes! ~

I thought for sure there was a thread about this already but I searched and searched and couldn't find it. So I will post this anyway and hope nobody locks it.

Ahem! So have you ever wondered why the characters of FMA have the names they do? Some names seem strange at first sight, but even the normal ones have secret origins. Hiromu Arakawa has explained in interviews before why certain names were chosen, and here I will reveal them to you!

Edward Elric-- Named after the title character of the Tim Burton movie "Edward Scissorhands"
Alphonse Elric -- This is the only one I do'nt know! If you have any info, please leave it in a comment!
Hohenheim-- Named after a real life alchemist named Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim (aka Paracelsus)

Members of the Military-- All named after WW2 fighter planes; Mustang, Hawkeye, Havoc, Fury, Breda, Falman, etc.

Winry Rockbell-- Named after Winly, a tool manufacturing company in Taiwan
Pinako Rockbell-- Named after Pinaco, a tool manufacturing company in Vietnam

The Homunculi-- All named after the Seven Deadly Sins: Lust (Latin, luxuria) Gluttony (Latin, gula) Greed (Latin, avaritia) Sloth (Latin, acedia) Wrath (Latin, ira) Envy (Latin, invidia) Pride (Latin, superbia)

Barry the Chopper-- Name based on that of the famous serial killer Jack the Ripper

Dante-- Named after the author of "the Divine Comedy", Dante Alighieri

--------------------
IPB Image

I've got a deviantART gallery! --> http://nanashi.deviantart.com/
I've got a fan art thread! --> http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/...?showtopic=7090

+Quote Post
major_ed_pride
post May 15 2006, 08:38 AM
Post #24

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 32,549

Are you sure about Ed's name? Just wonderin' ^.^

--------------------
RED DAAAAAWWWWWNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Automne
post May 15 2006, 08:44 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 13,171

Well, Antimony said that it was Arakawa who explained the meanings of the names herself, so that's certainly true.

--------------------

mspaint_lolz on livejournal

'Buffy and Angel had gone out before and Buffy wasn't really comfortable talking to Spike and Angel at the same time, because now Spike and Buffy had been going out for 6 months and Buffy was afraid that Angel might tell Spike that him and Buffy went out, but it turns out that Angel had told Spike that they went out, Spike was heartbroken that Buffy never told him that they went out, so Spike broke up with Buffy to get back at her for not telling him that Angel and Buffy went out.'

-NOT MINE

TEH BESTEST (AND MOST FRENCH) ROMANCE EVAR

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post May 15 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #26

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

*looks up at her Edward Scissorhands poster*

That must be one of the first times an obsession started before I even knew what I was going to be obsessed by haha.

And that would be why no-one can find the meaning of the name Winry, its completely random.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nil-chan
post May 15 2006, 02:02 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 34,017

Omg, those are amazing! I already knew about the military ones and the Homunculi, but the rest surprised me. They made sense, though. happy.gif

--------------------

||-------------------------------|| [deviantArt] || [royai] || [fanfiction] || [graphics] ||------------------------------||

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post May 15 2006, 08:13 PM
Post #28

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 3,284

Arakawa didn't make Dante.

... did she?

Either way, the homunculi were an obvious thing, as well as Dante, if you know your religious history, then it's a 'duh'. Knew Hohenheim. The others were an interesting suprise.

(So it -is- Winly?)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post May 15 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #29

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

It would be funny if Al was named after Alfonso Ribiero, or some offbeat thing like that...

--------------------

+Quote Post
asunder
post May 15 2006, 09:54 PM
Post #30

Special Ops (Intelligence Officer)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 30,877

QUOTE(Void @ May 15 2006, 09:41 PM) [snapback]395971[/snapback]

It would be funny if Al was named after Alfonso Ribiero, or some offbeat thing like that...

Carlton from the Fresh Prince of bel air? or from that show silver spoons?

--------------------
Everytime you post something mind numbingly retarded, this forum crashes.

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2016 - 12:33 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css