HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Saiunkoku Monogatari, It's like a twisted Fushigi Yuugi!
Amethyst Sunset
post Oct 30 2007, 01:02 AM
Post #1

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,435

The Story of Saiunkoku (彩雲国物語 Saiunkoku Monogatari?, lit. Tale of the Land of Colored Clouds) Produced by Madhouse Studios and directed by Jun Shishido, the anime adaptation of The Story of Saiunkoku premiered in Japan on NHK on April 8, 2006. The first season ran for 39 episodes until its conclusion on February 24, 2007. The second season, referred to as Saiunkoku Monogatari 2nd Series, premiered on April 7, 2007 and ran for another 39 episodes until its conclusion on March 8, 2008.
(Source - Wiki)

List of Characters

SYNOPSIS: Saiunkoku Monogatari (a.k.a. Colorcloud Kingdom/The Story of Saiunkoku) is about a poor girl, Kou Shuurei, who comes from a prestigious yet impoverished family. In the hopes of earning more money, she gladly accepts a job at the palace - and only realizes later on that her "job" is becoming the emperor's concubine and teaching him how to become a proper ruler! Shi Ryuuki, the emperor, is a lazy man who apparently has affairs with men and no interest in politics, and at this rate, it's going to take a miracle to change that.

Or just his new concubine.

Anyhow, has anyone heard of this anime? It's reminiscent of ancient China, like Fushigi Yuugi, but the female protagonist is much less of a damsel in distress and has a lot of sense. The art is stunning, and the guys...erm...*swoon*

XD

Genres: comedy, drama, romance, supernatural
Themes: bishounen, feminism, historical, male harem
Episodes: 39
Age Rating: Older Teen
(Source - ANN)

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mei_tenshi
post Mar 3 2008, 07:58 PM
Post #2

Major General

Member No.: 3,343

Saiunkoku, squee~!

*cough*

I love it. All the infobits about the series tend to emphasize the romantic aspect of the story--which makes sense, considering Shuurei's status as Ryuuki's reluctant concubine is a huge part of the story. Well, the early part. Not sure if you've watched past that point by now (I mean, it has been, what, 4 months since you started this thread? Hopefully you're still watching it. :x), so I don't want to spoil anything for you. Considering the length of the series (2 relatively long seasons so far!), I'm immensely glad that eventually focus more on political intrigue and Shuurei's role in it rather than the romance, where she'd be in danger of being reduced to something like the sappy heroines of many shoujo animes.

I must say, though, whenever the romance pops up again, I get all soft and fuzzy on the inside. X3

--------------------

CoF #11

+Quote Post
Amethyst Sunset
post Mar 4 2008, 02:04 AM
Post #3

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 38,435

I've stopped at episode 20-something; I know who Sakujun is, that's how far I've gone (Stupid college stuff. XD). It's really interesting how Shuurei is surrounded by so many guys who could be her perfect match - but as for me, it's going to be a very close fight between Seiran and Ryuuki. Sorry, not too much of a fan of Sakujun/Shuurei.

Anyhow, I agree; it's not as sappy as other shoujo anime, which is good. It focuses on more important points, and doesn't reduce Shuurei into someone like Miaka from FY (I'm so sorry, Miaka fans. Really). Sure, she does need to be saved every once in a while, but they don't overdo those scenes too much. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mei_tenshi
post Mar 4 2008, 09:25 PM
Post #4

Major General

Member No.: 3,343

Ha, I'm not fond of Sakujun/Shuurei, either. He's too twisted. Sure, there are signs that Shuurei has some romantic feelings toward Sakujun, but she seems to want to help him more than spend all of eternity with him.

That's how I read it, at any rate. It just isn't like Shuurei to fall for a few pretty words. (It didn't work when Ryuuki said them!)

I like to think that her emotional investment in Sakujun stems from her sympathy towards troubled people and her desire to help them. As much as I dislike Sakujun (and I do, oh I do), what happens to him at the end of the season does bolster Shuurei's resolve to be a good official, so I guess he has his uses. tongue.gif

BTW, I know how troublesome college gets, but I vehemently--vehemently--suggest that you finish season one and start on season two at some point. Some point soon. If you like what you've watched so far, I can confidently say that you'll like what follows even more. smile.gif

--------------------

CoF #11

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2016 - 05:33 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css