Reply to this topicStart new topic
Ed's Arm In The Movie, Random questions
Syn
post Mar 28 2005, 02:30 AM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,458

Ed seems to have an "ordinary" (not so much) prosthetic arm in the trailer for the movie, and I've heard that this is the case on various forums and whatnot.

But at the end of the series, he seems to have his automail arm.. such as in that final shot where he's stretching his arm out of the window and it shows what's beneath his clothing.

So is it known why he ends up with a prosthetic and loses his automail? Did he just lose his arm and leg entirely again during that final transmutation, and that last shot in the series was just for effect, when he actually had a prosthetic already? Or is all of this just speculation, and will be explained in the movie? :P

Just curious if I overlooked something.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
xrninja
post Mar 28 2005, 02:52 AM
Post #2

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 501

when he crosses over to our world, his automail arm becomes a prothestic arm because, well, we don't have automail in our world. in the last shot of the series, when he's stretching his arm towards the sun, his clothes disappears and they show the automail arm, right? i'm 99% sure that's just for effect and the symbolism (which would be not nearly as powerful with the prosthetic arm).

his new arm, the one in the movie trailer, seems to be pretty darn nifty though, with the lawnmower handle and disappearing skin and all. the movie will most likely answer questions about his limbs. smile.gif

--------------------
- ON HIATUS UNTIL COLLEGE STOPS KICKING MY ASS -
ninja + quis = <3

+Quote Post
utsukushii
post Mar 29 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #3

Citizen

Member No.: 10,632

As for Syn's questions what xrninja said is true. Ed didn't 're-lose' his limbs but the automail just doesn't work...like alchemy, Ed still knows it, he just can't use it.

QUOTE(xrninja @ Mar 28 2005, 03:52 AM)
his new arm, the one in the movie trailer, seems to be pretty darn nifty though, with the lawnmower handle and disappearing skin and all. the movie will most likely answer questions about his limbs. smile.gif
[snapback]140965[/snapback]

That's got me curious too. After I saw the preview, I said..."did he just start his arm like a lawnmower? blink.gif "

--------------------
user posted image
A painless lesson is one without any meaning.

+Quote Post
Ballistic Alchem...
post Mar 29 2005, 08:24 PM
Post #4

Citizen

Member No.: 10,697

maybe starting the engine or whatever in his arm, might give him energy sorce to do alchemy in the real world. I don't know maybe??? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Alchemist_ed
post Apr 1 2005, 05:29 AM
Post #5

Citizen

Member No.: 10,748

this may be stupid to ask this as i havnt got a chance to see all of FMA but does he ever get a chance to bring his a rm back to nomal or is he sent into our world before then?

--------------------
user posted image

People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something...............

The best flash site ever!!!!!!!!!!! Newgrounds

+Quote Post
Tobu Ishi
post Apr 1 2005, 09:35 AM
Post #6

Alchemists

Member No.: 6,815

Edward /did/ re-lose his limbs.

Think about it. Al restored him. He had his arm and leg back. Therefore, his automail was gone. Vanished. Finito.

Then, Ed sacrificed his arm (and possibly leg) in trade for Al's life. The equation actually balances; I worked it out once. It's somewhere on these forums. It involved the overbalancing of one side with the sacrifice of Al /and/ the Philosopher's Stone allowing for a minimal sacrifice on Ed's part (though he didn't know it at the time, poor kid).

So he was dumped into Europe again minus his arm (and possibly leg). He's got a typical 1910s prosthesis in Ep. 51 (yes, I did research this--I'm trying to be period-accurate in Fullmetal Folly, the RP I'm playing Ed in). The reach-for-the-sky shot at the end was, indeed, just for effect; notice how he clumsily raises the prosthesis which then fades into his old hand. It's his imagination.

And apparently by the time of the movie, he's made some adjustments to it, such as artificial skin. The artificial skin annoys the heck out of me. They did /not/ have that in the post-WWI era. They had better do some good explaining.

--------------------

The Restoring Earth Alchemist
Big Sister to Chiyo, Little Sister to Tokage, Edward to WrenchFreakWinry

An Appetite For Grief Dividing the Bones Elysium FULLMETAL FOLLY
Good Neighbors Jaybird Letdown Mater Familias Mea Culpa Play With Me
Rosarium Seven Years The Shadow of Him Some Assembly Required Wired Wooden

<3 The EdWin 100 Themes <3
She remembers the way her inexplicably riveted gaze slid unbidden
down the curves of his back, slowly, like honey. And she particularly remembers
the rush of prickly heat, the unfamiliar melting sensation that made her duck
her head to hide a blush that caught her entirely by surprise; as she realized
for the first time, in an entirely new way, that Ed was a
boy.

Click here to read more...
THEY'RE STILL UPDATING! PLEASE DON'T FORGET THEM. ;_;

+Quote Post
utsukushii
post Apr 1 2005, 10:28 AM
Post #7

Citizen

Member No.: 10,632

That's good research, Tobu Ishi...thanks for that info--I had forgotten about his one minute restoration. Very nicely explained *thumbs up* smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image
A painless lesson is one without any meaning.

+Quote Post
Envy's lil...
post Apr 1 2005, 11:30 AM
Post #8

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 7,890

Well here's my theory.

Ed fixed his hand after I think Wrath broke it off with some spare metal parts he found lying around which is why his hand looked different. When he reaches for the sky at the end it's the spare parts hand he has. I think he get's fitted with regular prostheses because he outgrew his automail, remember it would of been two years and he would of grow some, that and the fact that there would be no one there to fix his automail.

That's my crackpot theory I hope it made sense, I'm on lots of cold medicine. wacko.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Mahou_Alchemist_*
post Apr 1 2005, 12:43 PM
Post #9

Guests

yea but when ed was with hohenheim before he left for transylvania we could see that whenhe was packing he had automail. personally i think ed removed his own automail and got a prosthetic (however it's spelled)arm. so that way he wouldn't appear suspicious

+Quote Post
MasterKris
post Apr 1 2005, 02:24 PM
Post #10

Brigadier General

Member No.: 8,833

Edward /did/ re-lose his limbs.

Think about it. Al restored him. He had his arm and leg back. Therefore, his automail was gone. Vanished. Finito.

Then, Ed sacrificed his arm (and possibly leg) in trade for Al's life. The equation actually balances; I worked it out once. It's somewhere on these forums. It involved the overbalancing of one side with the sacrifice of Al /and/ the Philosopher's Stone allowing for a minimal sacrifice on Ed's part (though he didn't know it at the time, poor kid).

So he was dumped into Europe again minus his arm (and possibly leg). He's got a typical 1910s prosthesis in Ep. 51 (yes, I did research this--I'm trying to be period-accurate in Fullmetal Folly, the RP I'm playing Ed in). The reach-for-the-sky shot at the end was, indeed, just for effect; notice how he clumsily raises the prosthesis which then fades into his old hand. It's his imagination.

And apparently by the time of the movie, he's made some adjustments to it, such as artificial skin. The artificial skin annoys the heck out of me. They did /not/ have that in the post-WWI era. They had better do some good explaining.

First of all, Ed sacrificed his arm and leg, the Philosopher's Stone, AND the 4 years of hard work for both Ed and Al. Ed did sacrifice his leg because in the movie magazine scans, it shows Ed's leg with an artificial limb.

Also, this is just all science-fiction. No need for our world to be perfect in the FMA movie. The movie-maker guys tried they're best to make our world like our world. Besides, Ed can't do anything without artificial limbs. Also, if it WAS realistic, Envy can't be in the movie because he's a dragon...and a Homonculus.

--------------------
HYO!!
Known as the Sadistic Feedbacker. The Wise Spanish Apprentice of *~vachi~*
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Mas...-sensei-sig.png
Siggy & avvy made by me.

Visit My Manhwa/Manga Raws Thread!!

+Quote Post
WynterMajik
post Apr 1 2005, 03:18 PM
Post #11

Citizen

Member No.: 10,083

QUOTE(Mahou_Alchemist @ Apr 1 2005, 03:43 PM)
yea but when ed was with hohenheim before he left for transylvania we could see  that when he was packing he had automail. personally i think ed removed his own automail and got a prosthetic (however it's spelled)arm. so that way he wouldn't appear suspicious
[snapback]144479[/snapback]

I agree with that. In the last episode we did see that he had an auto mail arm, if i'm not mistaken. I could be but I watched teh episode yesterday so it's still pretty fresh in my memory and I remember seeing it.

--------------------
user posted image
WARNING: MIDDLE SCHOOL QUOTES!!!!
WynterMajik's Friend's Funny Quotes:
*Help End Poverty... Eat the Poor.
*God Made Mud, God Made Dirt, God Made Boys So Girls Can Flirt.
*I swear to Drunk i'm not God

My Favorite Quotes Fron The Harry Potter Books:
*"I was saying that Saturn was surely in a position of power in the heavens at the moment of your birth...your dark hair...your mean stature...tragic losses so young in life...I think I am right in saying, my dear, that you were born in midwinter?"
"No," said Harry, "I was born in July."
Ron hastily turned his laugh into a hacking cough.
*"Aaaah," said Ron, imitating Professor Trelawney's mystical whisper, "when two Neptunes appear in the sky, it is a sure sign that a midget in glasses is being born."

My Favorite Quotes From FMA:
*Childbirth isn't alchemy you dope!!! -Ed
*"Oh yes, I'm so small that you can't see me amongst the grains of sand, like always--!"
**Sighs* What do you think is the matter?Once again I'll have to listen to colonel sarcasm tell me how I screwed up! Struck out on the Philosopher stone again huh?How am I suppose to keep funding this goose chase?Money doesn't grow on trees there chief.Ed where did you run off too? Oh wait! There you are, I couldn't see you there beyond my paperwork.Seeing how you are so short and all.

*Imitates Roy's Laughs* -Ed

+Quote Post
Kamajii
post Apr 8 2005, 01:22 AM
Post #12

Citizen

Member No.: 11,370

I'm not so sure. The first screen we see Ed eating wearing his automail. But in the second we see him packing. It looks more prostetic then metalic to me.
IPB Image
IPB Image

As far as the human hand you see in the ending it is Alphonse reaching out to his brother from his world. But what gets me is that it shows Edward reaching back w/ his automail and with the time period prostetics weren't as advanced as automail is and he was able to twist his arm and grip his fist.

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Electrastar
post Apr 8 2005, 05:15 PM
Post #13

Alchemists

Member No.: 9,372

Yeah, but I don't have my animes in my computer anymore, but I think that if you look at another shot, his arm seems more brown than grey (maybe a shift from metal to wood ) and it doesn't seem to be his automail arm.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Envy's lil...
post Apr 8 2005, 05:45 PM
Post #14

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 7,890

QUOTE(Electrastar @ Apr 8 2005, 05:15 PM)
Yeah, but I don't have my animes in my computer anymore, but I think that if you look at another shot, his arm seems more brown than grey (maybe a shift from metal to wood ) and it doesn't seem to be his automail arm.
[snapback]148977[/snapback]

One more time.

He made another hand out of spare metal lying around after Wrath broke his hand off so it looks much different than his regular automail hand.

I actually went back and watched the end of episode 51 to double check and yes it's still his automail. When he's on the train he's wearing his gloves so it looks like the new prostetics that he has in the movie.

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Apr 8 2005, 08:00 PM
Post #15

Guests

where can i see the movie trailer because i saw all the fan subed episodes of FMA and i wanna see the trailer

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2016 - 09:29 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css