HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Shounen Or Shojo?
Shounen or Shojo Manga?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 51
Guests cannot vote 
Jeneration
post Nov 25 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #31

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 71,634

When I started reading manga, I read the shounen series first, but over time I started getting into shoujo series. Most shoujo is too fluffy, unrealistic, and just too girly! I couldn't stand reading shoujo after a while, but I found a couple of shoujo series that I could actually get into and that actually made sense, if you know what I mean. But most of my favorite series are shounen, like Dragon Ball, Shaman King, and of course, Fullmetal Alchemist! : D

--------------------
Hughes: Be careful, Roy. You've got some enemies here, and in very high places. My advice to you is to make as many friends as you can around here, friends who will support you when the time comes. Which is why I make this crucial suggestion: [whispering] You find yourself a wife!
Roy: [slams phone] Give it a rest!
Hawkeye: Please, Colonel, don't take it out on the phone.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Deadbeat007
post Dec 4 2009, 08:19 PM
Post #32

Citizen

Member No.: 72,024

Definitely shounen for me. I love me a good fight scene.

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post Dec 16 2009, 02:08 PM
Post #33

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

When I was younger, it was all Tokyo Mew Mew and pretty much everything written by Koge Donbo, but...Fullmetal Alchemist changed my life xP Okay, not really. I still like shoujo, but I find that I approach it with caution a lot more than I used to because of all the cliches, and Mary Sues make me sick. Shoujos like Ouran (a sattire of shoujo cliches!) and Fruits Basket (which developed well and really left an impression on me) are great, but other some can fall into the same trap as, say, Vampire Knight (which I used to enjoy a lot): average girl, mysterious guy, and anger management dude: which will she choose???! It gets old...

Same can go for shounen, when they go on forever and the people keep leveling up, it can get tedious. I've read a lot of excellent shounens, though (such as FMA, Black Butler, Death Note, D. Gray Man, and Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro) which are not only ineresting and original, but also make you think at times. I feel like the writers explore more story lines than average shoujo writers, who play by the rule of an average girl with huge eyes stuck in a love triangle...

Currently I go for shounen more, but if a shoujo is original enough, I can enjoy it just the same.

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
KoolCat
post Dec 17 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #34

Citizen

Member No.: 72,211

I like a good, moving story regardless of genre, but most Shojo I've read just annoys the crap outta me. So, I pick Shonen (although most over-the-top, plotless, fight heavy Shonen annoy me too. Hence, why I read FMA)

+Quote Post
EniviD EiraM
post Jan 29 2010, 08:42 PM
Post #35

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,525

~ Shounen Manga With Some Shoujo Twist And School Life Category Manga Recommendation S Pleeease ! ~

my title sounds a bit weird so to sum it up,

I want a mix of shounen-shoujo-slice of life manga to read .. thanks !

smile.gif

<Thread merged to Shounen/Shojo thread. ~ Board Staff> smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Jan 30 2010, 10:51 AM
Post #36

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

i havnt actually read/watched barely any of this (it annoys me the cardcaptors characters are reused) I am intending to pick this series back up! Anyway the recomendation is tsubasa chronicals, from first impressions and little bits I know about it, I think it fits into what your lookin for =3

edit: sorry its not a school life one though! >_< I'll keep thinking

--------------------

+Quote Post
rosieechan
post Jan 3 2011, 02:53 PM
Post #37

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,287

I'm a huuuuuuge shoujo manga reader.
Granted, most shoujos are full of cliches, but they're fun to read anyway. Some mangakas can write/draw cliches really well, which I like! It helps me take my mind off things.
FMA, Death Note, and Inuyasha are probably the only three mangas I've read that aren't shoujo. laugh.gif
I don't read that much shounen...or any other...unless it's a good story (like FMA biggrin.gif) that appeals to anyone...then I'll read it. But mostly I'm more into romance and school life. XD

And yes, I'm quite a bit of a girly girl. happy.gif

--------------------

Pink n Black icons @ LJ

EdWin :: AlMei :: LingFan :: Royai

+Quote Post
Emily_BrokenAnge...
post Jan 4 2011, 10:00 PM
Post #38

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 32,325

Absolutely shounen...

I prefer action, suspense, a few drops of blood and real comedy, rather than a pink life style
I tried to read Shojo once....and I didnīt like it at all >_<

Pink + pink + pink = Sick Emily

--------------------

Hey there!! Are you a fan of Armony or EdXArmony?! Join us at our club!!. Im the president or agent , Nekokitty is the vice-president and Herumastaa Kanaru is our secretary
If you want to join us, please PM one of us. Also, when you become a member, put "Im a member of the EdXArmony club" or something similar in your signature xD

+Quote Post
Dark-Winds
post Jan 18 2011, 08:20 PM
Post #39

Apprentice

Member No.: 75,903

Shojo. I really like romance and drama. But especially drama lol

Surprisingly, FMA is one of the only shounen that I got really into. But it's my favorite xD Maybe it's because of the drama.

--------------------

Roy x Riza - Edward x Winry - Ling x Lan Fan - Alphonse x Mei - Havoc x Rebecca

+Quote Post
xUltimate_Shield...
post Jan 18 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #40

Apprentice

Member No.: 75,845

QUOTE (Dark-Winds @ Jan 18 2011, 09:20 PM) *

Surprisingly, FMA is one of the only shounen that I got really into. But it's my favorite xD Maybe it's because of the drama.

I totally agree! I'm such a sap for a good drama, it's pretty terrible. I love making myself cry xD Plus I'm a sucker for all the romance too, even though strangely enough I never get too into any of the couples in Shojo.

And yeah, FMA is my favorite manga ever, but pretty much the only shounen that I find amazing. I think it's cause shounen's are just nonstop pointless fighting and yelling and the repetitiveness just gets annoying. FMA was very different though; it had a good plot.

I suppose I just prefer character development to constant fighting. FMA just happened to have
an incredible balance of both.

--------------------

Roy x Riza ~ Ling x Lan Fan ~ Ed x Winry ~ Havoc x Rebecca

+Quote Post
rosieechan
post Jan 18 2011, 09:10 PM
Post #41

Apprentice

QUOTE (Dark-Winds @ Jan 18 2011, 10:20 PM) *

I agree with this. happy.gif

Plus I'm a sucker for all the romance too, even though strangely enough I never get too into any of the couples in Shojo.

And yeah, FMA is my favorite manga ever, but pretty much the only shounen that I find amazing. I think it's cause shounen's are just nonstop pointless fighting and yelling and the repetitiveness just gets annoying. FMA was very different though; it had a good plot.

FMA just happened to have
an incredible balance of both.

And this. laugh.gif Except I get into one or two couples in shoujo...but not that much. Not as much as in FMA. XD

FMA's good balance is what appeals fans from both shoujo and shounen. ^^

--------------------

Pink n Black icons @ LJ

+Quote Post
KimbleeWorshippe...
post Jan 27 2011, 09:39 AM
Post #42

Citizen

Member No.: 75,852

I absolutely have to say shounen. I really, honestly hate most shojo. For one, I CRAVE action and fight scenes. Plus I feel like shojos are just packed with copious amounts of drama. Please. There's enough drama in real life. I can't stand to deal with much more than that. Don't get me wrong. Some people love it. It's just not my cup of tea.

I feel like the plot lines in shounen are just way more appealing too. Most shojos that I've read are totally driven by random sad stuff that's supposed to make you feel bad for people and squee at super cute romantic moments. But shounen tends to be a lot more unique and well-developed in story lines.

And by the way... a big "tsk tsk" to whoever might say that shounen is just a bunch of "pointless fighting." I've heard that many times before and I strongly disagree. Just because there's a lot of fighting, doesn't mean that it's pig-headed or anything. But I'll stop ranting pointlessly... *gets smacked*

Shojo's got romance, and romance is always nice, of course. But you can find plenty of romance in shounen as well.

So I honestly have no reason to favor anything else smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
rosieechan
post Feb 8 2011, 08:06 PM
Post #43

Apprentice

I understand where people are coming from when they like shounen better, lol.

I think the reason why fans don't get into too many pairings in shoujo (even though it's romance) is because of the plot...I mean, most shoujos I read are just meant for entertainment, not for in depth discussion like in FMA. XD There are only a couple of shoujo manga that I would pick out to discuss over.

Anyway, just as shoujo can get annoying with its characterization and lack of a decent plot, shounen has its bad sides, too, like pointless fighting or long, endless arcs.

FMA is consistent, its battle scenes aren't pointless or repetitive, its characterization and plot is amazing...and basically ANY kind of fan can like it...from any genre. It's like Harry Potter (I compare everything to HP, sorry, it's a habit!) - anyone can enjoy FMA, whether they're into romance or sci-fi or action, etc.

Anyway, it's all about opinion and preferences on which you think is better. I love romance and drama, and others love action and fighting. :3 That's pretty much what it all comes down to.

--------------------

Pink n Black icons @ LJ

+Quote Post
PwnedByPineapple
post Feb 22 2011, 04:39 PM
Post #44

Citizen

Member No.: 76,679

For me, it depends. There are good things and bad things about both genres, and you can find crap in both of them. What I really like is a mix - I like fighting and drama in decent amounts, and I like a little romance and comedy to go with it. I guess I just like balance. Like FMA. happy.gif

For shounen, I like things like FMA, Death Note, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, D.Gray-man.
For shoujo, I like stuff like Ouran, D. N. Angel, Fruits Basket, Dengeki Daisy.

My favorite thing is when a manga really sticks with me, no matter what the genre may be. Too much battling or too much mush = no. Balance = yes.

--------------------

a v a t a r and s i g n a t u r e by: m e

+Quote Post
rosieechan
post Feb 24 2011, 05:49 PM
Post #45

Apprentice

QUOTE (PwnedByPineapple @ Feb 22 2011, 06:39 PM) *
For me, it depends. There are good things and bad things about both genres, and you can find crap in both of them. What I really like is a mix - I like fighting and drama in decent amounts, and I like a little romance and comedy to go with it. I guess I just like balance. Like FMA. happy.gif

For shounen, I like things like FMA, Death Note, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, D.Gray-man.
For shoujo, I like stuff like Ouran, D. N. Angel, Fruits Basket, Dengeki Daisy.

My favorite thing is when a manga really sticks with me, no matter what the genre may be. Too much battling or too much mush = no. Balance = yes.

I agree! biggrin.gif Balance is the best, and that is why FMA has such a variety in fans.

I must check out D.Gray-man, I've heard so much about it. >.<

Dengeki Daisy! That manga needs to be more popular, it's probably one of the best shoujo manga I've ever read. Seriously. Next to Fruits Basket and Ouran...

--------------------

Pink n Black icons @ LJ

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2016 - 06:42 AM

Copyright Đ2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css