Ah, the names issue all over again...
QUOTE (Tombow @ Jun 13 2009, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Jun 13 2009, 12:56 AM)
.. I'm still confused about Ling/Lin. Check out this page: It clearly says "Ling Yao" on his nametag thing.http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/35/24/
- Good memory!! ^^ Haha, I remember that scene!
Yeah, it's confusing, isn't it?
These spellings for Xing characters look as if some English speaking person who had no knowledge on Chinese names was consulted for the English spelling of these names, over the phone, and then just randomly assigned some English words that do sound similar to the phonetic sounding of these names. >.<
Yup, that's why I'll keep going with the Chinese-looking names anyway.
I mean, May, Who, Ranfun... just no. Those are clearly transcribed so English people pronounce them right.
As for Lin/g... I guess either one's fine. Personally, I'll keep going with what the manga said.
(then again, the manga has "Selim Bladley" once or twice on it. And the 'l' came from "Lebecca" XD Clearly a spelling misstake)
Oh, and thanks Kale and reef for those scans!
Fairy tale omakes are
QUOTE (AA battery @ Jun 15 2009, 10:38 AM)
Hi! Just wanted to give you guys a heads-up. Since I'm back, I'll do the omake translations in a few days, so please check the Hagaren Omake Thread later for the scans
(Any volunteer for editing? If there is any, please PM me. I'm a little picky with editors, though! *shot*)
Double post (will get merged, I guess?) for flipping over scans...
- Three chapters: 1- Elrics and other good guys/civilians, first Amestrians, then Xings. 2- Mustang and the military. 3- Bad guys.
In the first one characters are ordered by chronological appearance, importance and relatedness, in that order: So, for example, Rose is the third and Cornello, technically the fourth, only appears as a minor related character. XD (The bartender is the fifth XD )
- I find the Best Scene selections very well chosen in general.
- Western transcriptions are given only for the most important (main) characters. Chapter 1:
- Jude the Blind Alchemist has his own little spot too. The unknown-by-the-bad-guys confirmed human sacrifice! Nice.
Nina and Shou Tucker get only a minor mention (a quarter of page) in the same page. Screw Shou, but poor Nina.
- Hohenheim appears quite early, though... perhaps because of Trisha (who appears as Hohenheim-related, since he's more important than her)
- Marcoh and Scar's "get naked" is one of Marcoh's Best Scenes. xD
- Dominic is called a tsundere XD
- The Rich Couple gets a page!
- Scar's weakness to all things cute is pointed out too.
- Whole 4 pages
for Yoki sama! Including his cameos (Yoki Circus... XD )
- 2 pages for Mobuo Mobuta, several (if not all) appearances. At the end, Arakawa says there are other non-introduced recurring characters?!
- Brother Clay/Cray does not get no name. He was named so in the first anime, but no official name here. Too minor, I guess.
- Yoki's minions when he was the Feudal Lord at Youswell appear working as bartenders for Kayal's father later!! (on Mei's arrival) Nice one there!
- Ishvalan kid from the slums isn't named either, again unlike anime 1.
- Guardian A who gets killed by Barry (and thus gets volume 3's inner spine) gets a mention as such.
- Resembool station master and wife count as recurring chars too. Cute.
(Ekio san and Ekiko san XDDD )Chapter 2:
- To Be Continued... (or not, go figure.