Joined: 27-January 05
From: a land called Honah Lee
Member No.: 6,466
Gender: Not Telling
Bag - funnily enough I thought exactly the same thing.
The best way to explain how I felt about this episode is, at the start my mouth was wide enough to squeeze a grape in, by the end you could have slotted a grapefruit in there.
- Hurray for Mei and really having her moment. Though she ends up hurt she really is a little fighter. - Paku Romi proving why she cannot be beaten as Ed. "His" voice has matured as he has and such a thing can't be too easy to get right. - Same for Winry at this point. The people of Amestris falling was painful to hear, and I think hers was a good "final voice". - Winry as eyecatch though? Random. - I agree with FailToImpress. This was epic in the manga but, when done so well, it is spine tingling animated.
Joined: 12-April 09
From: The lair where the Sidekicks hang on their down time
Member No.: 67,873
Gender: Not Telling
lol, Psycho! The first thing I thought of when I heard of the track actually was this track (at around 1:05, I suppose) from the Halo 3 game.
Thoughts: - Awww, Denny and Maria meet up. lulz at Denny. - Mei, you are WAY out of your league fighting Father. - Gotta love them Ishbalans running around trying to carry out their plans. - I didn't really like the Scar v. Wrath. It looked more like action lines than actual movement to me. But then again, I didn't like this portion of their fight in the manga either. But Wrath still looks like, well, a rather angry person. So that's always cool. - The FatherGun... um, no. Not really. It looked rather lame. - Ed v. Pride: Um, this looks strangely familiar. :/ - Wait, bloodgush? Did this happen in the manga and was there really that much of it? o.o - Of course Father was just playing with them! - That general is really freaking out... but then again, I would too if I knew I could save my life simply by moving to the "center" - Hey, Greed. Loved the music that waltzed in with you. Very... freaky. - JK! The center's here on my piece of paper - Zomg, the music here for when the "world is ending" is excellent. It's creepy, but I love it! - And now everyone's dying and Lapis Philosophorum is playing! Excellent. >:D - Truth sucking in God: Well that was nothing short of brilliant. It was disturbing and just plain freaky.
A very interesting episode. If I was a random viewer who decided to tune into the show one day, I'd be "WTF"'d and hooked.
Joined: 21-January 08
From: The cold, icy north
Member No.: 55,758
The gun was not in the manga I take it? My memory is a bit hazy.
The little we got from Scar vs. Bradley looks alright, nothing overly spectactular. But I remember feeling exactly the same when reading the manga. I was a bit let down at how unimpressive it was (the anime is definitely on par here at least, might even be a bit better). But then came the final stage, in which there were some serious epic moments. So my hopes lies with that Bones will follow the manga's path, and get the next part of the battle right. For now, this was okay, but nothing special.
Laphis Philosorum was a great choice for music, a trademark sort of song of Brotherhood and it felt very fitting. It's a bit sad and really dramatic, and since it was a while since we last heard it, it has even more effect. I even got a little nostalgic, because I started thinking of episode 1, where the song is heard for the very first time. But the 'Psycho' music I think could have been better for the 'swallowing' sequence rather than the track in use. We've heard that one more than a couple of times before, haven't we?
I've only watched the raw of this episode, so may have some more thoughts after having found a sub.
EDIT - More comments after having watched the sub. Not anything I didn't get without the subtitles though, but meh... just felt like commenting a little some more. Lulz.
- I loled at Father's "Are you gonna break my home again?" and all his weird sounds and expressions when he attacks/does stuff. I for one liked the gun. And I love the face makes when he asks "dudes, did you ever think about THAT??", with that one big ol' eye, when he talks about the gate. - Aww, Xiao Mei running after her hurt master :'( Brave but stupid Mei. - And Ed called her by name, a sign that things just took a turn for the graver. - Wow, that blood spurt is really... if I didn't know better, I'd think that Ed would have, if not died, as established that they won't kill him, at least lost some pounds of meat. - And then is the transmutation scene, which I've already commented on. I agree that it's a lot easier grasping what's going on with Father here than in the manga. But the manga showed Father going through the earth's gate down in his lair, before coming out on the other side in the sky, didn't it? Or am I mistaken?
I'll conclude by saying this episode was pretty great. The music was put to perfect use, animation was better than it's ever been, and it was full of general awesomeness.
Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3 Bye bye, Edward Elric :(
Joined: 13-February 07
Member No.: 44,714
The sub is already out, which you can find in all the usual places
The Wrath/Scar disappointed a little, but only in comparison with the utter epicness of the second half. That was some freaky stuff. FMA just went Evangelion on your a** lol. I do wish they would have left the cliffhanger the way it was in the manga though, with Sephiroth!Father lol
Joined: 5-February 10
Member No.: 72,768
-Oh Denny. I lawled. - Poor Colonel Useless. What makes is so funny is that you had that nickname before all of this. - MEI! That was.. really awesome You go girl! - concerned alphonse is concerned, for his love is injured!! -"Ishvalans are appearing all over the city" LOLSUPRISE I'M ABOVE YOU! -Silly lady, they're not here to rape you and devour your soul. They just want to look at their map. - What I love about Brotherhood animating this, is you can see that it really is actually getting darker as the sun disappears behind the moon. In the manga, it was hard to picture that. Ya know? -THIS NEW MUSIC IS AWESOME AND I LOVE IT - If only I could film my facial reactions. I must have the biggest grin on my face watching Scar fight Bradley. I love...I can't even find the words to express how awesome this is. -Bradley puking blood from the stress on his wounds was brilliant -YESS YES YES YES AND THUS SCAR REVEALS HIS ARM! Oh heck yeah! -The episode could end here, and I'd be happy. Forget everyone having their souls sucked out! -May and Xiao eyecatches look awesome. Winry?? Random. -(Hohenheim: Little girlie look out! His finger is awesome! Father: LUL-PALM-FACE SHOVE.) I giggled. -I laughed out loud though when Father made is little "Ooohhh" noises at Alphonse. But kept firing. That was awesome XD -Oh-HOH. Bones you lazy studio. That's recycled footage, and I know it is. -Wow Edo, that was a bloody gush of blood. -Alphonse showing he is better than the first animes Alphonse. -HEAD-BUTT! Haha, your face fell off. -Yay! Izumi's crossbow. I loved that manga panel, good to see it put to use! -Would have made my day if they had Clemin foaming at the mouth. -Hey Greed! How you doin! -Manga panel of happy Pride. Yay! I love seeing manga panels. -THERE IT GOES! AHAHAHAHA!! - Oooh. I like how they animated the circle connecting! -collapse! collapse! collapse! - Just realized I've had this huge grin on my face this whole time, but others who haven't seen this. Are probably bawling. -Such amazing animation! Can you say BUDGET! Haha!
-AW, come one! It ends there! Oh well. >_<
Wow. What an amazing episode, as you can see. I had much to say about it. My one complaint is that they left out Grummans "Lul I'm dying, oh well" line.
Joined: 7-April 09
Member No.: 67,706
- Denny and Maria? Okay, random, but I dig it. - Exposition! - And more exposition! - HO CRAP--Mei! - The suspense building up with the darkening sky is killing me. - That's right, animation boost for Wrath only. Save for the action lines. - OHH EFFFFFF YEAHHHHH SCAR - Lol Father's gun could fit in perfectly with Mario. - The Fullmetal Alchemist, child abuser and molester. - Despite being a demon child, Pride's pretty cute. - Lol Father's getting an orgasm from excited alchemical energy. - That music when Greed makes his completely fruitless entrance sounds like it's from friggin' Coraline. - Aaaaaaaahhhh it's startingggggg - - All of the shots of the soulless citizens are shocking, but...Mrs. Bradley. Just Mrs. Bradley. - Disappointed that they didn't have Elysia and Gracia, but maybe in next episode?
This episode made me shat bricks. Concrete bricks.
Joined: 22-September 09
Member No.: 71,198
^Nice video! This episode was pure epic AMV material.
Of all the apocalypses I've seen... this is topping the list of best ends of the world ever!
Music during the eclipse with the Ishvalans was just gorgeous! It was very mystical and full of anticipation - until Bradley started striking and then it was intense! Same with the music right before the transmutation. I felt cold right to my core! As soon as I saw the eclipse complete - it reminded me of "Heroes" ... but at least FMA is awesome to the end.
When Father went all liquid and moved to his "throne" the animation was very well done! Anything that occurred after Father's evil laugh is just pure terror/awesomesauce.
Father's gun was definitely a lolwut?, but Izumi's crossbow was a WIN!
If you have attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this in your signature.
Joined: 16-April 09
Member No.: 68,002
It's been a while since I've posted here, but this episode was just too EPIC (overused, I know, but... seriously, this was the very definition of EPIC at the end there).
I pretty much agree with what everyone has said here so far, but I'll add/reiterate a few thoughts:
- I'm so glad the music choices are finally pulling it all together. While I think that the overall soundtrack for Brotherhood is fantastic, the usage of the music earlier in the series has been some of the worst I've ever seen in an anime, which is a first for me. It ranges from overusage of certain tracks (*cough* Lurking *cough*) to inappropriate placement that just ruins or distorts the mood entirely. I will say though that it's improved a lot, and I thought all the tracks that played during this episode were appropriate and really enhanced the mood. Lapis Philosophorum was the perfect track to accompany that scene.
- I'm also glad they kept in the Denny/Maria reunion! I thought it was 50/50 that they'd leave it in and knew that the beginning of this episode would be the last chance to show it, because after that some serious S*** starts hitting the fan and doesn't let up til the end.
- Loved all the fights in this episode, as usual. I especially loved the change to Mei's attack - for all the complaints from various people about how annoying she is, I'm glad she's being portrayed as competent and very useful in battle, even if she did take on more than she could handle this time. I'm also actually kinda glad they didn't go with a more dynamic and fluid animation for Scar vs Bradley. I love Wrath as much as anyone, but it would've been overkill if he was repeatedly shown to be so overpowered. I have a feeling we have one more Badass!Wrath scene coming up, anyway.
- This episode covered basically two manga chapters, but it didn't feel rushed at all to me. A good reminder that pages of action aren't as intimidating to fit in as pages of dialogue. Which bodes well for the next two episodes, which sounds like they're gonna be covering 105-107.
- How evil of them to end it on that note... everyone dies, the END! No smoke clearing afterwards, no nothing. Takes guts to do that, and I love it.
QUOTE (deet-tastic @ Jun 6 2010, 12:58 PM)
-Silly lady, they're not here to rape you and devour your soul. They just want to look at their map.
Dude, I had that exact thought when I heard that woman's screams. I was like, sheesh, you sound like you're getting gangraped or something! That entire exchange was just so over the top and distracting from the scene that I wanted to smack whoever did her voice.
QUOTE (deet-tastic @ Jun 6 2010, 12:58 PM)
- Just realized I've had this huge grin on my face this whole time, but others who haven't seen this. Are probably bawling.
Me too... I was grinning and/or gaping the whole time... awesome ep.
Joined: 24-February 06
Member No.: 31,830
They hit totally the wrong beat for the Denny and Maria bit. (And if there's anything that ever needed a flashback for the viewers...) The music didn't help, but I thought the tunes were used well in the rest of the episode.
A lot of weird fight changes. Also, I preferred Scar slipping on the blood rather than Bradley just suddenly getting a shot in through skill. I was honestly kind of confused spatially by a few parts. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but things seemed way clearer in the manga.
Also, looking at this storyline again, I think it's safe to say the story in FMA did officially go off the rails a bit with this Father stuff. Too much crazy, too many plot devices. :\
(I almost wish Gring had somehow succeeded in messing up Father's plan and they all miss the eclipse and then it goes from there with the final battle with Father in his normal mode.)