HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do You Believe In Alternative Medicine?, Herbs, psychic healing and the like
Do you believe in alternative medicine?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 48
Guests cannot vote 
Raven
post Feb 4 2005, 08:33 AM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,168

Here's one that I've found to be an interesting debate subject. I intended this thread to be a proper debate, so do try to keep the messing about to a minimum.

If anyone wants to know, yes, I do believe in alternative medicine.

--------------------
Beauty often comes hand in hand with elegance.
But few realise they are two completely different things.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Feb 4 2005, 08:45 AM
Post #2

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 3,228

I believe there is alternative medicine laugh.gif

Seriously, I'm pretty sceptical of alternative medicine. For the most part, I feel that it's results are often the same as a placebo (sugar pill). I guess I'd like to hear about reputable studies done for it and then I'd be more interested in the results.

Important note: If it works, that does not necessarily mean that the reasons why it works are right. For instance, just because I feel better because I've been poked with needles doesn't prove that there is some spirtual energy that's being manipulated in me. I don't like how mystical explanations get for it. Positive results are never an indicator of proof.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jaganshi
post Feb 4 2005, 01:19 PM
Post #3

Alchemists

Member No.: 4,412

I belive in healing herbs. My family has always used alternative medicines for as long as I can remember. My mom never takes me to the doctor because she thinks that real Real, actual medicines are bad for your system.

So, yea. So far it's worked for me.

--------------------
"The Moon and stars are ganging up on the Sun."
IPB Image
Little sister to SlashRose1010
Openly Pervy, G.O.O.P

+Quote Post
Prinz_Zoisit
post Feb 4 2005, 01:22 PM
Post #4

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 30

i chose i am not sure.... cause there were stories from ppl who were cured by a technique which was very weird............ ^^

--------------------
IPB Image

"Two things fulfill my mind with always new and increasing admiration and reverence the more frequently and continuously i think about it busily:
the sky full of stars above me and the moral law inside of me..." (Immanuel Kant)

+Quote Post
hitokiri
post Feb 4 2005, 01:43 PM
Post #5

Brigadier General

Member No.: 650

that depends on what you mean by alternative medicine... if you mean stuff like pyschic healing/surgery, healing stones, chakra alignment.... no thats crap. that stuff is absolute bullshit. the amount of people that are actually cured by that stuff is low enough to be considered statistical anomalies.

as far as herbs and acupressure/puncture... now thats kosher. medicinal herbs generally contain compounds that are either chemically similar to that of pharmaceutical drugs or that of compounds that are found in the human body. acupressure/puncture is based on the meridian lines, which show points on the body where there are nerve ganglion. the pressure/needles stimulate these ganglion to cause increase bloodflow or some other form of autonomic response.

--------------------
peace,

hitokiri

------------------------------------------------------------
"argh...my neck is one gargantuan monkey fist..."
- J. Peterman -

+Quote Post
Slashrose1010
post Feb 4 2005, 02:24 PM
Post #6

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 3,609

^I agree on the healing stones, mystic water, etc. How would stones heal you? Anyways, I do believe in herbs. Herbs have been used before any pills and such have been formulated. How do you think people of the olden days cured sickness? They didn't use mermaid tears and holy water (items from FF rolleyes.gif). Ginger actually IS good for digestion and herbal teas have been proven to reduce heart attacks/disease and other stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Raven
post Feb 7 2005, 03:47 AM
Post #7

Citizen

QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Feb 4 2005, 01:22 PM)
i chose i am not sure.... cause there were stories from ppl who were cured by a technique which was very weird............ ^^
[snapback]106525[/snapback]

Do share! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Le Monkey
post Feb 7 2005, 03:57 AM
Post #8

Major General

Member No.: 2,167

Yeah, Come on Prinz

--------------------

+Quote Post
sevter
post Feb 7 2005, 04:59 AM
Post #9

Apprentice

Member No.: 1,174

Coming from a chinese background, my family has always believed in alternative medicine for as long as I could remember. In fact, I rely more on these traditional medicine rather than the so-called "real" medicine like antibiotics and those stuff.

Ah yes, by alternative medicine I was actually talking about acupuncture and herbs.

--------------------
"We're from the same mold and that is a sexy, sexy mold" ~ Roy speaking to Masuta in The Alter Series

+Quote Post
Gashole
post Feb 7 2005, 05:06 AM
Post #10

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 685

^ Same here. I was a victim of Chinese medicines when I was a kid. Nowadays I prefer NyQuil, though.

+Quote Post
Le Monkey
post Feb 7 2005, 06:27 AM
Post #11

Major General

Member No.: 2,167

I think that herbs and acupuncture works, But psicic and stone healing is all in their heads...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Raven
post Feb 7 2005, 08:29 AM
Post #12

Citizen

I'd prefer to use alternative stuff any day, mostly because most medicine you buy tastes horrible (even though they put additives in it to make them 'taste nice'), or, as with tablets or pills, theyr'e big and lumpy, and often end up going down the wrong way with me. Also, the 'ingredients' (ie. chemicles) they put in usually put me off. I'm doing AS biology at the moment, so I have a fairly good understanding of what does what in the human body, and these chemicles they put in sometimes, I haven't even heard of. Once or twice, Iv'e asked my biology teacher (aka. fountain of all knowlege) what they are, and even she doesn't know.

Anyway, I'd be willing to give any of this alternative stuff a try, if I thought it wouldn't do any damage.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Feb 7 2005, 11:11 AM
Post #13

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

I studied psychology which makes me very bias on this topic now. The idea of using herbs I believe in as alot of drugs are based from herbs. Faith healing and all that is a complete load of balls. Basically, you can think yourself ill so you can think yourself healed. People make money off convincing people they are doing this for them but they are not. It's all the persons own will power to be better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Raven
post Feb 8 2005, 05:33 AM
Post #14

Citizen

QUOTE(Chiyo @ Feb 7 2005, 11:11 AM)
I studied psychology which makes me very bias on this topic now. The idea of using herbs I believe in as alot of drugs are based from herbs. Faith healing and all that is a complete load of balls. Basically, you can think yourself ill so you can think yourself healed. People make money off convincing people they are doing this for them but they are not. It's all the persons own will power to be better.
[snapback]108499[/snapback]

Mostly I agree. I learnt in biology that if your stress levels are too high, for example, then it weakens your anti bodies so your more suseptable to catching colds and other infections. Meditating or taking other psycic healing may help to calm a person, and let them build up immunities to their illness, so it looks like the psycic healing has worked.

However, I have heard of a few cases where people are cured of uncurable diseases (eg. bad cases of cancer) with what may be called psycic healing. I know this may sound like it's going into the realms of sci-fi, but psycic healing might be possible; after all, we still don't know what most of the brain (about 70%, I think) does.

I think that with any cases of healing in an unusual way usually gets covered up by anyone in authority; because if psycic healing did work, then there would be no use for pills or other mass produced medicines, and they would all be out of a job. So, naturally it's in their best intrest to keep anything out of the ordinary hidden away.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hidden_death
post Feb 11 2005, 04:53 AM
Post #15

Apprentice

Member No.: 6,634

i do belive in it ><

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 07:40 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css