Reply to this topicStart new topic
Yu-gi-oh!
Kihaku
post Jan 7 2005, 02:15 PM
Post #1

Brigadier General

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,360

Yu-Gi-Oh! (遊☆戯☆王 Yūgiō?, lit. "Game King" or "King Of Games") the 1998 series. is the title of the first anime series based on the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga. aired on TV Asahi from April 4, 1998 to October 10. It is often referred to as "season 0".
(Source - Wiki)

List of characters

Plot Summary: Game loving Mutou Yugi was given an ancient relic by his grandfather called the Sennen (Thousand-Year) Puzzle. He completed the puzzle and was possessed by the spirit of an ancient Pharaoh. The Pharaoh has no memories of who he is or how he got in the puzzle to begin with. The Pharaoh looks out for Yugi and his friends and Yugi agrees to help the Pharaoh recover his lost memory and help him be put to rest so he can go on to the afterlife and finally leave Yugi's body.

Episodes: 27
(Source - ANN)

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters (遊☆戯☆王 デュエルモンスターズ Yūgiō Dyueru Monsutāzu?), is the series that introduced Yu-Gi-Oh! to the Western world. It was produced by NAS, and was first aired on TV Tokyo on April 18, 2000. It was later translated into more than 20 languages, airing in more than 60 countries. The series is mainly based on Yu-Gi-Oh! manga volume 8 and onward, and ended its 224-episode run in Japan on September 29, 2004.
(Source - Wiki) !

Plot Summary: 3000 Years ago marked the turning point of an Egyptian Dynasty; the Pharaoh's spirit was sealed inside one of the ancient relics, the Millennium Puzzle, after saving the kingdom from an enemy army. Now, in the present age, the Millennium Puzzle is found by a young boy, Yugi Mutou, who unlocks the spirit of the puzzle and is possessed by the sprit of the old Pharaoh, who lost all of his memories from his old life. As a thank you to the spirit who saved him from bullies and gave him new friends, Yugi decided to help the spirit out and find a way to recover his lost memories and send him to the after life.

Episodes: 224

OVERALL
Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy
Themes: card games, monsters, magic, multiple personality
Age Rating: PG
(Source - ANN)

-------

I searched for this topic and didn't find any... although it had been mentioned in other topics wink.gif Just like me starting a topic that has already been discussed, but anyways.. anything about the anime serieses... both Yu-gi-oh! and Yu-gi-oh! Duel Monsters.. or the manga goes here! biggrin.gif
Hmmm.... how should I start (big problem)
Okay after FMA and Digimon Yu-gi-oh! (Duel Monsters) is my favourite anime series. Even though I started watching it without even knowing what it was.. and I was watching dubbed eps, I loved it right from the start wink.gif I don't know what it was, but I loved the feeling in it and also I had a lot of fun laughing at it. Later i appreciated the plot, theme and characters wink.gif I'm happy that I got to see the rest of the series with the original voices though. I felt a bit empty after it ended, but there's still the manga! (okay that ended even before the anime, but I'm not reading scanlations...)

Hmm.. favourite characters: Yugi.. both "Yugis" because I grew to like them as the same person tongue.gif Bakura (well, just Ryo, but I like Yami too wink.gif Kaiba (even though I loathed him at first)

favourite pairings: (yes, just favourite tongue.gif) JouxMai, SetoxKisara, IsisxKaiba, AtemxYugi

--------------------
The Delirious Dreamy Airhead
~Queen of Shounen-ai~
An Open-Minded Perv & Member of G.O.O.P
user posted image
Here's the thread for you s-ai/yaoi fans:Shounen-ai Fans Unite!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Omakase Shimasu
post Jan 7 2005, 02:25 PM
Post #2

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 330

Yay, yay, cheers for you, Kihaku~! biggrin.gif The thread's official!

Um, guess it's my turn to add my own two cents: I've only seen a few episodes and read up to volume 3 of the manga, but I like it. The opening credits were what attracted me to the series, and I mean the original. wink.gif Once the dubs started being aired in the Netherlands I promised myself I'd watch it all. Unfortunately I lost track of everything because of school. >_> And unfortunately I gave up on this series after that. But then a few days ago I caught a marathon of Yu-Gi-Oh!... uh, the series after Battle City and saw commercials for the one and only Movie and just like that my obsession with the fandom had been rekindled, which I'm very grateful for. biggrin.gif

Favorite characters: Yami & Yugi, but I also like Yami Bakura... and Kaiba, Jounouchi, dammit I just like pretty much everybody to a certain degree, so don't mind this list. tongue.gif
(Note: I call Yami-Yugi Yami, Yami-Bakura Bakura and his hikari Ryou)
Favorite couples: Kaiba x Yami, Jounouchi x Yugi, Bakura x Yami

smile.gif Yay~

--------------------
:: King of Shonen-ai ::
:: - Sister to Prinz_Zoisit ::

- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
telepika
post Jan 7 2005, 03:00 PM
Post #3

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 1,937

Ooooh, is this your first thread Kihaku? laugh.gif

Hmmm, Yugi... I stopped watching it after that virtual reality tournament (When the bosses of Kaiba Corp. tried to take over the company) in Kaiba's tournament.

--------------------
I've decided to officially support the American Dub!! Go Ed!!! Power to the short people!!!!
user posted image

+Quote Post
Omakase Shimasu
post Jan 7 2005, 03:10 PM
Post #4

Moderator Emeritus

laugh.gif She meant the first Yu-Gi-Oh! thread, I believe~

So, you're not really a fan? Me neither, but I like it enough to call myself a fan. happy.gif Now I'm curious: Who are your favorites~?

--------------------

- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
icanflyouch
post Jan 7 2005, 03:21 PM
Post #5

Citizen

Member No.: 5,141

I haven't been much of a fan since the Doom Arc thing started airing, but Malik is my favorite, by a long shot. I also really like Bakura, Yami Malik(artichoke head), Ryou, Kaiba, Jou, and Honda~. Yami and Yugi are ok, but not my favorites.

I can't wait to see the Egypt Arc, though~.

--------------------
. Nicol Amarfi Love .

+Quote Post
Kihaku
post Jan 7 2005, 03:28 PM
Post #6

Brigadier General

Kase: I obviously always do what you suggest tongue.gif
Hmm.. anyways... Opening credits? I loved the original Japanese ones. I downloaded them and couldn't wait until I got to the "saga" with certain credits while watching the Japanese version...
I really liked the English one too.. how wierd tongue.gif
I have high hope that this will be aired in Finland. I want to laught at the dub wink.gif But instead.. we got Duel Masters tongue.gif which I'll be watching early tomorrow morning, I mean today tongue.gif
Series after Battle City.. you mean the virtual reality one? The Noa saga.. or something..?

telepika: Yay, you posted here too! No, this isn't my first thread, but my second(I didn't say it was my first, did I wink.gif ) tongue.gif the first is the anime(and manga) pairings tongue.gif I'm very reluctant about starting new threads, because I'm afraid people won't post.. or something tongue.gif
Ooh the virtual reality part was great! (but there wasn't a tournament...) I just love virtual reality.. and then came Battle City wink.gif That was really good too.. but I guess if you got tired of the card game. Still you got to have some favourites, right?

EDIT: sorry icanflyouch, you posted in between... You mean that you haven't liked the Doom arc that much? But you liked it up to that?
my brother stopped watching Yu-gi-oh! when I started watching the Doom arc.. Those were Japanese subs though because the dub hadn't aired yet.
he likes the dub more, but says that Yu-gi-oh! became "bad" when Malik left tongue.gif
I was so hyped when I started watching the Egypt arc wink.gif It's prob. one of the best wink.gif

Again Kase surprised me wink.gif I though you were a fan.. (at least a little bit)

--------------------
~Queen of Shounen-ai~
user posted image

+Quote Post
Slashrose1010
post Jan 7 2005, 03:49 PM
Post #7

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 3,609

I watch Yugioh whenever it is new. I like Bakura (the evil one) and Marik a lot. Raphael is pretty cool, at least better than Valon and that gay looking guy. Pegasus was pretty cool and eccentric. His eye is so awesome. Duke is OK. Mai is a tuff chick, better than Tea, that clutzy anime girl cliche. The story is OK, sometimes it can get really corny and cheesey, especially the dialogue. Basically, it's a pretty good show. smile.gif glad to see older people can appreciate it too. I like the dueling, the monsters look so cool.

What is your favorite duel monster/s?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Omakase Shimasu
post Jan 7 2005, 04:02 PM
Post #8

Moderator Emeritus

@Kihaku: It makes me feel very special indeed. wink.gif

Yep, the Japanese opening credits drew me into the whole series. biggrin.gif Too bad they decided to remix the opening with the dub. T__T I had my heart set on seeing and hearing that first opening when it finally aired in the Netherlands. Alas~

Well, I've never watched the English version, but my Brother bought one of the games for his PC and I got to hear their American voices for the first time: ph34r.gif What a shock that was. I couldn't believe how old they sounded! biggrin.gif Maybe I'd get used to it at some point, but since I don't own the DVDs...

It hasn't aired in Finland? That comes as a surprise. blink.gif Um, I wouldn;t know what Duel Monsters is. biggrin.gif;; I've heard about it countless of times, but I didn't understand if it was a part of Yu-Gi-Oh! or not.

Yes! I meant the Noa Saga~ Noa might have the most disturbing voice I've ever heard in my life, but I still love that saga~ Best drawn in my opinion too. wink.gif And Yami got a different voice actor there. Yugi's voice actor did Yami in the first few seasons, but apparently Yugi's role was already much for him to handle. *shrug* I really don't mind, because I kinda like this new voice better. ^^;;

Well, for my standards I'm not a true fan, since I kinda dropped the fandom in the beginning and just now picked up on it again. biggrin.gif;;

@icanflyouch: laugh.gif I knew you'd have Malik as your favorite~!

@.@ How many arcs does this series have anyway?? Egypt arc?

@Slashrose: What a pleasant surprise~ Didn't take you for a fan of this series. biggrin.gif Oh yes, Pegasus~ XD Awesome character, really. I don't understand why many don't like him though. I mean, just look at him! He's got the Eye! And he's a pimp. -^^-

Hmm, my favorite monster would be Dark Magician/Black Magician because of his awesomness and past self. ^^v

--------------------

- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
icanflyouch
post Jan 7 2005, 04:22 PM
Post #9

Citizen

Member No.: 5,141

@Kihaku I don't like the Doom arc that much, no, it failed to catch my intrest. Though I do like some of the characters, the plot didn't intrest me. Also, my heart aches at the lack of Malik~.

@Omakase Shimasu Malik is teh coolEST kthxbai. XD Yep I actually cosplayed as him once. Sort of... I dressed up as him on the Friday before halloween and paraded around school. XD Oh but his dub voice burns my ears. ;-;

There are quite a few. A lot of those in the anime are anime only, though. The manga goes like "Duelist Kingdom -> Battle City -> Alcatraz (sp?) -> Egypt" I believe, but the anime is "Duelist Kingdom -> RPG -> Battle City -> Noa -> Alcatraz -> Doom (or Doma) -> KC Grand Prix (I believe) -> Egypt". Though there's a high possibility that I'm wrong.

--------------------
. Nicol Amarfi Love .

+Quote Post
Kihaku
post Jan 7 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #10

Brigadier General

Oh, oh.. I still have to reply even though it's really late... I mean early in the morning..

Slashrose: Yay, you like Yu-gi-oh too wink.gif I also find it an asset when "older" people like this series. I feel like they apprciate it for the right reasons, no the cool card game;) Although the card game is cool too...
yay for Yami Bakura wink.gif his character didn't get enough screen time... There was so much potential...
Gay looking guy? You mean Amelda? (even the name is girly tongue.gif) I thought he was okay, a little stubborn though... goes well with Kaiba tongue.gif
Mai. Yes, Mai is one of the few female characters I actually like. Although her attitude in the Doom saga was well... questionable...
Favourite duel monster? Beta the Magnet Warrior! And Sagi, Clown of Darkness...
I like Beta... and Sagi was the last card that Kaiba used in his duel against Pegasus... I was so touched that I almost cried... and suddenly really liked Kaiba. Sagi is also a card that shouldn't be underestimated...
I have other favs too... Hmm.. like Blue Eyes White Dragon, Red Eyes Black Dragon.. I like dragons wink.gif

Kase: old voices? The characters sounded old? Well Yami Yugi maybe a little... tongue.gif
yeah.. I'm also surprised that Yu-gi-oh! hasn't aired here.. But this is Finland after all tongue.gif
I really liked the Noa saga! wink.gif Another great filler.. And it's a lot about Kaiba.. and his (and Mokuba's) past.. I really liked that! biggrin.gif
Noa is bit disturbed after all..so his voice would have to make up for it tongue.gif
Duel Masters... an obvious Yu-gi-oh! copy.. but I'm giving it a chance.. I've seen half of the first ep (because I slept through my alarm) so I don't know much of it.. a card game with monsters..
ooh I hope you'll go back to the true fan stage wink.gif Of course it might be hard if it's been so long. I'm keeping my thumbs up biggrin.gif

icanflyouch: I loved the Doom arc! For a filler it was really great and it actually fitted the concept of the series really well... So you really love Malik then, don't you? He makes an appearance in the Egypt arc if that makes you feel better. biggrin.gif

kthxbai???? you cosplayed Malik? How adorable! wink.gif Yes, I suppose that's how the "sagas" go. I can't say much about the manga... I haven't even got to vol 7 (stupid slow releases) RPG can be divided into the Virtual reality thing and Dungeon Dice Monsters (oh that's in the manga too)... and Battle City into Battle City and Battle Ship (aka BC finals) Hmm.. otherwise it's like that wink.gif

--------------------
~Queen of Shounen-ai~
user posted image

+Quote Post
Slashrose1010
post Jan 7 2005, 04:59 PM
Post #11

Master Alchemist

QUOTE(Omakase Shimasu @ Jan 7 2005, 04:02 PM)
@Slashrose: What a pleasant surprise~ Didn't take you for a fan of this series. biggrin.gif Oh yes, Pegasus~ XD Awesome character, really. I don't understand why many don't like him though. I mean, just look at him! He's got the Eye! And he's a pimp. -^^-

Hmm, my favorite monster would be Dark Magician/Black Magician because of his awesomness and past self. ^^v

Why is that? I like a lot of shows that aren't necessarilly for older people (I'm not even that old). I like Yu*Yu, InuYasha (usually shunned by older viewers), and Teen Titans (if this even counts.) But yeah, I appreciate the fact that there are others here that like Yugioh, I thought I was the only one tongue.gif

I like Dark Magician Girl better. She's so cute and bubbley. I also like Obelisc, he looks so cool. I probably could name a few more but haven't watched Yugioh in quite a while.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sevter
post Jan 7 2005, 07:58 PM
Post #12

Apprentice

Member No.: 1,174

Favorite characters: In order...Seto Kaiba, Yami

I got sucked into Yu-Gi-Oh and liking Kaiba bacause of fanfiction. I didn't like the Anime or Manga much so my knowledge is limited to what I read in ff and "Pyramid of Light" movie. Other than that, I love the Duel Monster card game. Did any of you buy the Starter deck?

--------------------
"We're from the same mold and that is a sexy, sexy mold" ~ Roy speaking to Masuta in The Alter Series

+Quote Post
Vx Tao Ren xV
post Jan 7 2005, 09:27 PM
Post #13

Alchemists

Member No.: 646

Oh wow.. I can't believe that I didn't discover this thread sooner..

Anyway, yeah, my favorite character is Kaiba Seto (I have 2 posters of him in my room.. hehe).. he's so misunderstood.. tongue.gif

I've never seen the original Yu-Gi-Oh! series (except for the opening and ending), I really want to see it though.. Yuugi's so much cooler when he tortures people..

Oh! While I have it in my mind, has any of you seen Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX? I gave up on it after the second episode, I personally think it's a waste of diskspace.. (although I'd rather watch that than the Pyramid of Light movie.. that was garbage in my opinion..)

--------------------
Crazy doesn't even begin to cover it...

+Quote Post
water_alchemist
post Jan 7 2005, 09:40 PM
Post #14

Alchemists

Member No.: 4,688

i watch Yu-Gi-Oh too! it's a ver interesting show....i like the torny's..anyone watching the new season?

Favorite Characters: Yami/Yugi <-----these two are really awesome in the show!
Kaiba is pretty cool too...he and his brother share a very simaler bond like ed and al.

--------------------
IPB Image

Time Square Can't Shine As Bright As You.

+Quote Post
Slashrose1010
post Jan 7 2005, 09:45 PM
Post #15

Master Alchemist

@Sevter: I used to play Duel Monsters but it is an expensive hobby and I had no one to play with. I was good at it too. Has anyone ever played Magic the Gathering?

--------------------

+Quote Post

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2016 - 11:54 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css