Carnal Malefacto...
post Feb 15 2007, 07:42 PM
Post #16

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Group: Members
From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

Okay, let me put it a different way.

Person A tells Person B that he does not like rap music.

Person B asks why.

Person A says, "Because I can't stand the way they act and the language they use."

Person B says, "Well, that's racist, because most black people act and talk like that."

Is it fair for Person B to call Person A racist for not liking elements typically ascribed to black culture?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ed_drink_your_mi...
post Feb 15 2007, 07:46 PM
Post #17

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 39,252

No. It's not racist. It's personal opinion. And, personally, I think that Person B is making silly generalizations. Perons B is thinking that that's how most people black people talk and act because that is the most publicized and stereotypical view of blacks. They're the one being racist for putting an entire race in a tiny characteristic box.

--------------------
Apprentice and fellow Button Klutz to Seventh_sky *grubbly fist* [stolen]

^<3 Zarp^

+Quote Post
Taskinst
post Feb 15 2007, 07:53 PM
Post #18

Alchemists

Member No.: 28,427

I agree with ed_drink_your_milk. Person B is being very stereotype. Am black and don't speak in 'black' slang ( well maybe I'll say Yo once in awhile). Thinking about it just the other day, a Chinese boy was asking me if it's true that all African American people speak in a certain way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Envy's lil...
post Feb 15 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #19

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 7,890

I agree with Nepharski on all accounts. Growing up in California I was explosed to people of all races throughout my entire life so people are people to me.

One thing that does piss me off is hearing that someone, say a black person, is not black because they say, went to college and bettered themselves to get ahead in the world and therefore and abondoning their race. I feel this is BS. I've heard of black people being refered to as "acting white" because they don't act in a stereotypical fashion. This to me is not society keeping black people down but they themselves keeping each other down. Why is it wrong to want a better life?

Yes, I know many are decended from slaves but that doesn't mean you can't rise above that and go forth and conquor.

This business about people like Barack Obama not being black reeks of self segrigation. He is of African decent but so are the slaves that were forced to come over and wait on lazy white people. Are the people in Africa not black? Why are they different besides not being direct decendent of slaves?

I often wonder if political correctness has had some play in this. While we should embrace our culture when it makes someone narrowminded it does more harm that good.

Oh, and I'm using blacks and an example because I lived in Oakland Ca for 15 years which is prodominately black so this is something I had more experience with rather than Hispanic or Asian cultures.

There's my can of worms, have fun kids!

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Feb 15 2007, 08:12 PM
Post #20

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 3,284

They're not saying he's not 'black'; they're saying he's not 'african american'. Or some such.

African American is a silly term anyhow.

I'm reminded of ninth grade when this girl I knew discovered the term "Oreo" and went around telling people what it meant like it was the best thing ever. Like, it was so funny and true, lolol, coz they're white on the inside and black on the outside, hahaha! (She's also the same girl who went around bragging to everyone she could about how her boyfriend was a Blood.)

Culture is a weird concept, especially when you get into a society like the US where there are people coming in from all over. Outside of a few elitist headcases, I don't think people get much grief for not being 'Irish enough' or not being 'German enough.'

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Feb 15 2007, 08:21 PM
Post #21

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 23,257

QUOTE(Abstruse Eulogy @ Feb 15 2007, 06:24 PM) [snapback]505733[/snapback]
To put it simply, does race only mean biology, or does it go beyond that?

Your race is defined by your skin color and ancestral history; your culture is defined by the effects of the society you live in as a whole. However, these should only show where you come from, not show who you are or where you're going.

And as for "African-America," I've yet to meet a single Black person who was offended by the term "Black." Not to mention Blacks live elsewhere than just in American or Africa. What about African-Britains?

--------------------
Attention Manga Lust fans:
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

My LiveJournal, because I'm a closet conformist

+Quote Post
Envy's lil...
post Feb 15 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #22

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 7,890

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Feb 15 2007, 07:12 PM) [snapback]505754[/snapback]
They're not saying he's not 'black'; they're saying he's not 'african american'. Or some such.

African American is a silly term anyhow.

When I say black I'm refering to what I've heard other black people say. They never say African American always black and don't elaborate on how said people are not black.

+Quote Post
kaizenyorii
post Feb 15 2007, 11:08 PM
Post #23

Alchemists

Member No.: 23,850

barack obama has lived in america and has black skin. his father isnt related to slaves in any way or whatnot but when people see him, they treat him like they would treat a black man. what is the the more important aspect of the african american experience; having dark skin or complaining about what happened to your great-great-grandparents? to claim that obama hasnt lived the "black experience" makes no sense. maybe his father didnt, but he has. Hes a first generation african-american and a black man whos lived most of his life in america. the fact that hes not from the hood doesnt change that.

im what people call a "banana", or yellow outside, white on the inside. to white people i'm uncultured and ackward, and to chinese people im an embaressment because I cant write chinese characters. you cant adopt a race you wernt born into, so dont try.

--------------------

please dont steal my $hit// obey the Crouch

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Feb 15 2007, 11:29 PM
Post #24

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 23,257

Come to think of it, nobody who's criticized Obama for not living "The Black Experiance" has lived it either. Unless, of course, they've convinced themselves The Man is hard at work, keeping 'em down, in which case I wash my hands of that matter.

I think we can all agree that this world would be a far better placed if we stopped focusing so fixatedly on what people's ancestors did, and what they themselves are doing.

--------------------
Attention Manga Lust fans:
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

My LiveJournal, because I'm a closet conformist

+Quote Post
ed_drink_your_mi...
post Feb 16 2007, 02:32 PM
Post #25

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 39,252

Honestly, I don't think that most of people who claimed that he hasn't lived the "Black Experience" don't really mean it that way. He's in the running for the primaries, so of course, people against him need some 'dirt.' And they happened to have pressed the racial button and blew it out of proportion. (And, IMO, made it completely rediculous.) Anyway, even IF he hadn't lived it, it wouldn't make much of a difference. It's the president of the country, not the African-American heritage society.

And though I think it's wrong to judge people by thier ancestors, I think it's wrong to put the past completely behind you. Today, it seems to be one extreme or the other; either people forget the past entirely, or they judge others harshly about what thier great-great-grandmother did. Isn't there a happy medium to be achieved??

--------------------
Apprentice and fellow Button Klutz to Seventh_sky *grubbly fist* [stolen]

^<3 Zarp^

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Feb 20 2007, 06:53 PM
Post #26

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Well, I think it meant that his family didn't have the same stories to tell that the families descended from slaves did. They didn't have to endure the Jim Crow laws and the Civil Rights movement. They didn't experience the same process of assimilation into America that 'the black community' did.

Does Obama share racial characteristics with other African-Americans? Sure. Most of his values are also probably similar. But when he's on that election trail, he's not going to be able to give a speech at a black church, or in front of the NAACP and act like he's no different than his audience, he's going to have to use language much closer to that of a mainstream white candidate than someone like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cmChimera
post Feb 21 2007, 03:48 PM
Post #27

Citizen

Member No.: 43,252

All I have to say about this topic is that I hate the term African-American and similar terms.

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Feb 21 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #28

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Well whoopideefuckin'doo!

Don't you just feel special? rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
cmChimera
post Feb 21 2007, 11:16 PM
Post #29

Citizen

Member No.: 43,252

Yes....You said it in a earlier post, so I decided to mention it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2016 - 02:05 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css