HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Philosophy And Anime, Which shows have got you thinking?
Popogeejo
post Oct 1 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #1

Master Alchemist

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,420

It's well known that Anime is crawling with diffrent, often pesimistic, philosophies.
FMA covered what defines a Human (See Al and thr Homunculus), I'm pretty sure Neon Genesis may have a hint of philosophy and who can forget the many lessons from Azumanga Daioh?

Which shows have really got you thiking about something and what was it they got you thinking about?

Melancholoy of Haruhi Suzumia got me wondering about existentialism (the theory that the Universe only exists becasue we are aware of it.)
Elfen lied also got my Gray cells stirring on human behaviour, Nature V Nutrue and all that mallarky.

*Opens flood gates for "Wats Philosophy?" and "FMA MADE ME THINK!" posts.*

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ana~Banana~bel
post Oct 2 2006, 02:54 PM
Post #2

Citizen

Member No.: 39,487

For me lately it's been Naruto and FMA. Naruto because they question ALOT throughout the series but the whole Sasuke and Naruto got me thinking alot: you know, about friendship, working towards a life bent on revenge and letting hatred and distrust and so forth consume you, and then of course the importance of friendship and protecting those who are precious to you.

With FMA i think alot of the whole science vs. religion, leaving the dead to rest and reconciling yourself with their death, never giving up on one's own goals and the price of hefting a burden on yourself.

Alot of thinking....

--------------------
I am on vacation. Will be back when i feel like it. Have a good one.

- Sig

+Quote Post
JoshP1389
post Oct 2 2006, 03:29 PM
Post #3

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 29,359

QUOTE(Ana~Banana~bel @ Oct 2 2006, 05:54 PM) [snapback]454227[/snapback]

For me lately it's been Naruto and FMA. Naruto because they question ALOT throughout the series but the whole Sasuke and Naruto got me thinking alot: you know, about friendship, working towards a life bent on revenge and letting hatred and distrust and so forth consume you, and then of course the importance of friendship and protecting those who are precious to you.

D:

...but I'll forgive you since your interests are Reno 911 and Chappelle's Show.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Oct 2 2006, 04:34 PM
Post #4

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 3,284

Ergo Proxy.

I can't tell you what episode 21 made me think about because it's a spoiler, lawl, but it broke my brain for a minute.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Oct 2 2006, 04:45 PM
Post #5

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Oct 2 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]454297[/snapback]

Ergo Proxy.

I can't tell you what episode 21 made me think about because it's a spoiler, lawl, but it broke my brain for a minute.

Considering the very title of the show comes from that famous quote by Descartes, it's second nature for EP to be philosophical...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Molecular Alchem...
post Oct 2 2006, 04:57 PM
Post #6

Brigadier General

Member No.: 24,926

As pathetic as it may seem, my philosophical savior would have to be Gundam Wing...i pretty much used all of Relina's quotes about war and peace and all that crap to get an "A" in phil when i was a UG. Yeah, i mean...granted i DID put my own spin on it to make 10 pg papers, basically the show did all of the thinking for me. Hehehehe...bc i had better things to do with my time than write papers that didnt pertain to my major.. laugh.gif

--------------------

Proud Member of the Anti-Shou Movement
Honorable Vice-Captain of the Anti-Inoue Squad
BLEACH FANS UNITE!!!--new manga-based arc starts at epi 109!

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Oct 2 2006, 05:23 PM
Post #7

Gallery Mod Emeritus

QUOTE(Molecular Alchemist @ Oct 2 2006, 07:57 PM) [snapback]454317[/snapback]

As pathetic as it may seem, my philosophical savior would have to be Gundam Wing...i pretty much used all of Relina's quotes about war and peace and all that crap to get an "A" in phil when i was a UG. Yeah, i mean...granted i DID put my own spin on it to make 10 pg papers, basically the show did all of the thinking for me. Hehehehe...bc i had better things to do with my time than write papers that didnt pertain to my major.. laugh.gif

...at least it's not InuYasha or Naruto...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Molecular Alchem...
post Oct 2 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #8

Brigadier General

QUOTE(Void @ Oct 2 2006, 05:23 PM) [snapback]454328[/snapback]

QUOTE(Molecular Alchemist @ Oct 2 2006, 07:57 PM) [snapback]454317[/snapback]

...at least it's not InuYasha or Naruto...

laugh.gif Nah, there are no real philosophical lessons that i can drag out of those....GW had speaches that would last an episode or two...talk about convient! Besides, Naruto is just good for a laugh....and i stopped watching Inuyasha years ago smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Oct 2 2006, 06:36 PM
Post #9

Gallery Mod Emeritus

I find InuYasha to be a complex rollercoaster of moral and philosophical enigmas, rife with contraversy and deep emotional impact, its universal questions finding a niche in their applicability to the issues we face as a society, both in the past, and in modern times.

The constant need to yell out the names of attacks, for example, is primely demonstrative of our human need to declare our intentions, innermost feelings and problems with utmost verbosity, even when their vocalization is entirely unnecessary. This of course, is doubled in significance when coupled with the deep characters that they are called out by. InuYasha himself is a prime example. Saddled by the dillemma of denying his hormonal flings with the girl who betrayed him as well as her reincarnation, he also must bear the crushing weight of his outcast position, unnaccepted in society of demons or humans, by those who cannot see him as a whole, complete being, rather than his mixed breed origins. They can neither see his humanity, nor his demonity, and are most often drawn instead, to his fuzzy white ears. Indeed, I think we can all relate to Inu-Yasha. We all have some fuzzy white ears of our own to deal with day to day, and it sometimes hurts us inside out, to the point that we also feel the need to call out "WIND SCAAAAAAR!"

And the Shikon is a symbol for nukyular weapons, lolz.

--------------------

+Quote Post
beyondredemption
post Oct 2 2006, 06:51 PM
Post #10

Citizen

Member No.: 35,001

My philosophical musing are over FMA, Ghost in the Shell, and Cowboy Bebop. Ah, but isn't anime wonderful when it makes you think?

--------------------

My Family! PM Me to Join!
My Crazy Older brother: Jato
Click here or you will be zapped into an alternate universe...

+Quote Post
Molecular Alchem...
post Oct 2 2006, 06:55 PM
Post #11

Brigadier General

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Oct 2 2006, 06:36 PM) [snapback]454361[/snapback]

I find InuYasha to be a complex rollercoaster of moral and philosophical enigmas, rife with contraversy and deep emotional impact, its universal questions finding a niche in their applicability to the issues we face as a society, both in the past, and in modern times.

The constant need to yell out the names of attacks, for example, is primely demonstrative of our human need to declare our intentions, innermost feelings and problems with utmost verbosity, even when their vocalization is entirely unnecessary. This of course, is doubled in significance when coupled with the deep characters that they are called out by. InuYasha himself is a prime example. Saddled by the dillemma of denying his hormonal flings with the girl who betrayed him as well as her reincarnation, he also must bear the crushing weight of his outcast position, unnaccepted in society of demons or humans, by those who cannot see him as a whole, complete being, rather than his mixed breed origins. They can neither see his humanity, nor his demonity, and are most often drawn instead, to his fuzzy white ears. Indeed, I think we can all relate to Inu-Yasha. We all have some fuzzy white ears of our own to deal with day to day, and it sometimes hurts us inside out, to the point that we also feel the need to call out "WIND SCAAAAAAR!"

And the Shikon is a symbol for nukyular weapons, lolz.

laugh.gif Those are all good points, Toby...i never knew inuyasha had some sort of moral highground...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Oct 2 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #12

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Indeed. Let us now discuss phallic symbolism in YuGiOh and how it pertains to the Freudian development of the generation of impressionable children viewing it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Oct 2 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #13

Gallery Mod Emeritus

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Oct 2 2006, 09:58 PM) [snapback]454379[/snapback]

Indeed. Let us now discuss phallic symbolism in YuGiOh and how it pertains to the Freudian development of the generation of impressionable children viewing it.

Uh... let's not and say we did...

--------------------

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Oct 2 2006, 07:40 PM
Post #14

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 3,228

Geez, you can find Freudian issues everywhere tongue.gif

Just think about the moral implications in Pokemon where you raise a cute little monster only to use it to fight for you in hopes of fame and badges. Obviously since humans can speak more than their names, they are perfectly suited to use Pokemon for their own gains.

But you ask about Ash and his apparent genuine love for Pikachu and his other Pokemon. Well of course this love is misguided. Considering he left home at a young age in order to seek recognition as a Pokemon trainer, it's obvious that he has hidden demons that motivate him to go that extra mile with his Pokemon. But of course, that motivation is driven by the primal urge to impress his mother by showing that he can be independant and surpass any father figure that may have been in his life.

In the end, unless Ash deals with these issues, he will turn on his Pokemon when he realizes his mother cannot love him sexually as she did his father. When Ash realizes this, he will have to strike out with that inner anger and sexual frustration he has hidden away because he has only had Pokemon fame as his goal.

Anime like many other forms of entertainment find ways to present common philosophical issues. I liked Kinos Journeys for philosophy and ethics. I found it interesting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Molecular Alchem...
post Oct 2 2006, 07:44 PM
Post #15

Brigadier General

QUOTE(Void @ Oct 2 2006, 07:17 PM) [snapback]454392[/snapback]

Uh... let's not and say we did...

hehehe, awww...com'mon Void...it could be quite entertaining. laugh.gif Erm...granted ive seen like...only one or two epis, but thats enough to draw Freudian conclusions...hehe, i bet it would be fun to do with Pokemon too but im not sure if that would be concidered philosophy or psychology hahaha tongue.gif

EDIT:
hold crap, i think Arche just read my mind...and beat my post...damn my slow typing...lol

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2016 - 01:09 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css