HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Other Side Of The Gate, Is the history right?
Dark State
post Jan 26 2005, 12:40 PM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,268

I was curious about how true the portrayal of our world was in the anime. They mention Einstein, the atomic bomb (when that flashed on the screen it scared the hell outta me ohmy.gif), Churchill, and London, but how true are these? If I'm correct Ed went to our world in 1921 or somewhere near there, was Churchill the prime minister of Britain at that time? Also, were zeppelins ever used for military purposes? I wouldn't think so because with one bullet they would be down and out, right? Did you guys/gals notice anything else like that?

Also, they said that our world doesn't accept the laws of alchemy so we studied, produced, and use machines. How come the alchemy world is just as advanced as we were if not more. If you noticed the cars were the same, and Winry created that modern oven...I don't think they had ovens like that in the 1920's. Also, look at Ed's arms, they're mechanical, even today I don't think we can do something like that. So does that mean the alchemy world is better and more advanced than ours in every way?

--------------------
user posted image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daveman!
post Jan 26 2005, 03:56 PM
Post #2

Citizen

Member No.: 6,321

The Alchemist World would be crushed by the military might of the Zepplin squadron of doom. happy.gif

Some of this is slightly overthought, I mean it's anime, they aren't necessarily free of anachronisms. You're just suppossed to get the basic idea, and the machines and such just make it more conveniant action-wise and socially accessible to the current generation.

It may not be our world, it may be very close, it may be intended to be our world, but either way it's a cartoon version of Europe done by a buncha guys on an Eastern island, so don't think about it too hard or you'll hurt yourself.

--------------------
Rawr.

+Quote Post
Dark State
post Jan 26 2005, 07:24 PM
Post #3

Citizen

i'm already hurt laugh.gif

I was just curious...that's all

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Daveman!
post Jan 26 2005, 08:07 PM
Post #4

Citizen

I know they were used in warfare but I didn't think they actually used them to attack anything.. ever.. I didn't think London got bombed during WWI either blink.gif but maybe I'm wrong. I think the 1940's jeeps, automatic weapons, auto-mail, ovens, and every other thing they left in was either for comedic value or to make it easier for the writers.

I still think it woulda been pretty funny to see Ed in a wheelchair with a nubby arm beating the bad guys down happy.gif

The alchemy world seems to have tanks in mass production, large cities, railroads/trains, automatic weapons, and all that stuff, but suppossedly are outclassed by our.. biplanes.. :-\ But our world is developing technology at a much faster rate than theirs, or so I assume. So by the time they get helicopters in alchemy land, we'd end up with an army full of railgun-toting cyborgs or something cool like that happy.gif

The story may also have been planned to take place around the 1920's-1930's or so, with this "Fuhrer" business, but they changed the time period to keep from pissing a lot of people off. I just thought of this recently after re-watching the episode with Armstrong's rebellion, Havoc whips out an MG-34.. made in 1934.. and then I realized most of the other stuff seems to fall into this time frame too, like the ghetto tanks and such. And when he went back to England during the blitz it might have been the blitz of the early 1940's ohmy.gif. But then some other stuff doesn't quite fit, so blah, BLAH.

*Winces in pain*

--------------------
Rawr.

+Quote Post
Daveman!
post Jan 26 2005, 08:08 PM
Post #5

Citizen

I need to stop typing so much blink.gif

--------------------
Rawr.

+Quote Post
Artemis Winter
post Jan 27 2005, 12:37 PM
Post #6

Apprentice

Member No.: 2,515

Nah, typing so much means that your answer was fairly well-thought-out; and that's a good thing. biggrin.gif

As for me...I have no theories to offer up. They've all been said and dissected on the fm_alchemist Livejournal at some point or another.

ZEPPELINS! are love. happy.gif

--------------------
Royai fan! *waves flag frantically*
-----
GRAMMAR-CONSCIOUS AND BLOODY PROUD OF IT. if you be of the n00b type, go spork yourself, plzkthxbai.
-----
user posted image
I made this sig. Steal it and I smite j00.

+Quote Post
Dark State
post Jan 27 2005, 05:35 PM
Post #7

Citizen

thanks alot. That answers a lot. I geuss the writers either did it to show that it's not our world...or just didn't do a history check biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Jan 29 2005, 04:31 AM
Post #8

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

There is alot of history flashed up during 'The Gate' scenes. It seems to be more WW2 when Ed is in London apart from the clothing and such. Of course I wasn't there at the time nor do I know too much about history. We studied WW2 alot in school (this being England and all) and if I remember the Zepplins were the pride of the 'opposing side' so perhaps that is why they were included.

The alchemy world looks very European, which would make sense because if where Ed ends up. Plus, all the writing in the anime is English (am I right?) Funny that he is (at some point) in the countries at war with each other. Don't know if that is significant or not

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dark State
post Jan 29 2005, 12:00 PM
Post #9

Citizen

yeah...everything that is written is in english. However, with the WWII thing, the last episode showed Ed in Munich *i may be wrong about his location* in 1920 something....WWII didn't start until the mid 1930's. I don't think that there is any time travel involved so I don't know how possible that is

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Phoenix_alchemis...
post Jan 29 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #10

Citizen

Member No.: 4,570

The scenes in London should be during WWI, since Ed goes back into the late 1910's / early 20's.

At that time, London DID get bombed in WWI, but Zepplins were not used in this way, the Germans used GothaG bombers.

And also, Winston Churchill was serving as secratary of war during WWI.

--------------------
~不死鳥の錬金術師~

+Quote Post
Hikari no Hohenh...
post Jan 30 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #11

Citizen

Member No.: 3,366

Zeppelins were also used in the WWI by german air force to bomb London and other cities.

--------------------
...And Make Love To You Without Touching Your Skin, And Have You In My Soul Without Having You By My Side...

user posted image

Trisha Elric (Vanessa Readi), My Only Love

Hagane no Renkinjutsushi: The Last Jihad // A HagaRen RPG

+Quote Post
Jacen
post Jan 30 2005, 01:39 AM
Post #12

Citizen

Member No.: 5,527

but if it were really world war I, then how could they be mentioning an atomic bomb? That wasn't dropped until the end of WWII. Unless there was an incomplete prototype of it at the time.

+Quote Post
Guest_D_*
post Jan 30 2005, 05:04 PM
Post #13

Guests

Just another weird note: The rifles the military uses bare a striking resembelance to the M-14 rifles used at the beginning of the vietnam war. Also the machine gun used by Havoc was an M-60 not MG34, which was also used during the Vietnam war..........And I also heard somewhere that the cars are steam powered (hence the long tubes things and such). And since trains are steam powered too, there is no problem........and I have not seen any internal combustion engines so it all checks out.... except for the mini tanks and automail...and they did have ovens back then.........

+Quote Post
Dark State
post Jan 30 2005, 07:35 PM
Post #14

Citizen

QUOTE(Jacen @ Jan 30 2005, 03:39 AM)
but if it were really world war I, then how could they be mentioning an atomic bomb?  That wasn't dropped until the end of WWII.  Unless there was an incomplete prototype of it at the time.
[snapback]102145[/snapback]

When Ed and Honeheim (spelling?) passed through the 'tunnel' to the gate the 'truth' was revealed to them. If you look closely at the images which pass through, you see stuff which in in their future. That's how they know about the bomb.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Tobu Ishi
post Jan 31 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #15

Alchemists

Member No.: 6,815

Yep, the reason they know about the A-bomb is the Gate. Hohenheim is explaining the process of life-forces being the source of alchemical power, and telling Ed how the millions killed on this side of the Gate fuel their reactions. He says something like, "And millions more will die...you've seen it, haven't you?" and Ed goes wide-eyed and remembers the image of the atom bomb he saw in the Gate.

Otherwise, between zeppelins, Churchill, and clothing, it sounds like their London was relatively accurate. A few liberties taken, but nothing horrendous. Points to them. happy.gif

--------------------

The Restoring Earth Alchemist
Big Sister to Chiyo, Little Sister to Tokage, Edward to WrenchFreakWinry

An Appetite For Grief Dividing the Bones Elysium FULLMETAL FOLLY
Good Neighbors Jaybird Letdown Mater Familias Mea Culpa Play With Me
Rosarium Seven Years The Shadow of Him Some Assembly Required Wired Wooden

<3 The EdWin 100 Themes <3
She remembers the way her inexplicably riveted gaze slid unbidden
down the curves of his back, slowly, like honey. And she particularly remembers
the rush of prickly heat, the unfamiliar melting sensation that made her duck
her head to hide a blush that caught her entirely by surprise; as she realized
for the first time, in an entirely new way, that Ed was a
boy.

Click here to read more...
THEY'RE STILL UPDATING! PLEASE DON'T FORGET THEM. ;_;

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2016 - 09:50 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css