HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Symbols & Symbolisms You See In FMA: Flamel, Ouroboros, And Whatnot, Designated thread for everyone to post what you find out on Wikipedia
IceSkadi
post Jan 4 2010, 03:31 PM
Post #61

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 72,103

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post it, but I have some general informations about the Philosopher Stone and the sulphur chemical element. These curiosities can be related to the manga / FMAB as well.

I hope that I'm not writing something that has already been said somewhere P:

Studying mineralogy for my next exam I've found out an interesting mineral that is the Cinnabar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnabar
As you can see it is red as the philosopher stone should be, besides the chemical composition of this element is HgS that is mercury and sulphur. Well I've found out that this mineral was a chinese alchemical ingredient to reach the immortality and seems that some emperors died swallowing extracts of this mineral trying to lengthen their lives (due the mercury). Old chinese scrolls say that the famous "Terracotta Army" is surrounded by cinnabar rivers too. Isn't it similar to the whole Xing alchemy?

Besides in organic chemestry the SH (S=sulphur H=hydrogen) group is called "mercaptan". This word derives from latin and means "take the mercury" (mer=mercury* captio=take something) because compounds with this kind of group were used to extract the mercury. Now what this has to do with FMA? Well Kimbley's name "Zolf/Solf" is similar to the Italian (and other latin languages) word "zolfo" that means "sulphur" and funnily Kimbley has almost always a philosopher stone with him tongue.gif or two as seen in the manga and in FMAB

Probably I'm reading too much into it but it was funny to do this type of researches (and useful too 'cause I have to study these things)

*argentum vivum is the exact latin word for the mercury element but lately they started to use the word mercurius as the name of the god

Sources: Wikipedia and personal knowledges
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wacholder
post Mar 1 2012, 11:44 PM
Post #62

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 89,670

I'm actually starting a Thesis Paper with Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood) as my subject and have been doing research on the religious / historical aspects of it. (Large part of why I joined this forum) Certainly interesting.

Here are some examples (I'll omit parts that've already been mentioned) purely on speculation, correct me if I have it wrong ><

- The entire Ishvalan war of Extermination started over the killing of a child by a soldier acting on his own will. A single person. This parallels WW1, where Austrian Francis Ferdinand was assassinated by Gavrillo Princip, part of a Bosnian terrorist group that certainly did not speak for the entire Serbian nation. In both of this incidences, outcry over these killings did not come until a while later and escalated to a huge scale.

- Yeah, Scar wears a cross on the back of his jacket, almost as if he's carrying a cross on his back. Like Jesus. Carrying the weight of humanity's sins and trying to rid the world of it.

- Gate of Truth = Gate to the garden of Eden, anyone? In FMA's case, however, it's reversed. In the original garden, Adam and Eve are kicked out of the garden through the gate because they had committed a sin, and thus learned the 'truth'. In FMA, characters also commit the sin of human transmutation and also learn the 'truth'. However, both instances 'taint' their humanity, flawing them.

and etc.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2016 - 12:59 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css