HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Ishbal War Vs. Iraq War, And Other Analogies To Fma Story, Post your FMA analogies here!! ^^
Guest_Guest_*
post Jul 28 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #31

Guests

I thought of the WW's
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Jul 29 2005, 12:54 AM
Post #32

Guests

I'm native american, and I saw a relation to indians being wiped off their land.

Some of you are hardcore liberals, and see the iraq war.

It's all about perception, and the people talking about Tolkien and allegory/allusions are right. FMA is most definitely NOT about the Iraq war, though you could infer such a thing.

Oh, and there are pleanty of recorded times that the Iraqi people tried to rebel against Saddam, but were crushed, and 300,000+ people have been killed. Children died all the time due to the pirated Oil for food program... oh, and speaking of oil, this war is NOT about oil!! That might be some portion of it, but come on people, this is why we haven't been able to help out in Sudan. Bush brought up the horrible acts being committed there, and all the dems could say is "he wants the oil." THERE IS NO OIL SURPLUS IN SUDAN!!!

Anyway, this thread isn't about that. It's about how FMA isn't about the Iraq war. Get off it, they are insanely different, and besides, Japan is insanely for the Iraq war.

+Quote Post
Guest_FCFISCHBACH_*
post Sep 14 2005, 09:44 AM
Post #33

Guests

QUOTE(Hilde Knight @ Feb 14 2005, 08:12 PM)
As you can guess, there is a great possibility for spoliers here. Beware.

War is a current issue that is plaguing our newspapers and televisions, and it also plays a big role in Fullmetal Alchemist.

Watching FMA the first time through, I noticed some similarities between the war that is taking place in Iraq right now and the attacks on Ishbal. Most of the things I noticed at first were petty and vague such as things like skin color (that probably sounded incredibley racist). Obviously, things that are, as I said earlier, petty and generally insignificant.

However, after watching through it a second time, I was able to take notice of more things that struck me as similiar. An example of this would be that, in a way, the head priest of Lior could be compared to Saddam.

What really struck all this, though, had to be in episode 14 with the men in the same building as Roze and the children she was looking after. I believe Roze said something along the lines of "We don't need your help, we have our own legs," which I feel to be very comparable to what we are doing in Iraq right now.

I know I'm definitely not the first to bear witness to this comparison, so I want to hear everyone elses' thoughts on the differences and similariities between Ishbal and Iraq.

Also, I don't mean to turn this into flame-fest. This isn't supposed to be about your thoughts on whether we should be in Iraq or not so don't derive the topic at hand into that.
[right][snapback]113928[/snapback][/right]

First off that wasn't Ishbal, that was just a part of the eastern region. Second though I can see how you would see Cornello (the head preast) as a Saddam figure Saddam didn't claim to be a profit of any kind he just claimed to uphold the beliefs of Muhammed (which he never did). I have to agree that there are major similarities to the Iraq war, and the quote does make some sence except for the fact that the military wasn't trying to help her just Ed and Al.

To the actual Ishbal rebellion was more like the annialation of the native americans than the Iraq war, but like I said it was a rebellion and the ruling force is in no way going to tolerate a rebellion. There are many ways to connect these being that the series is very well writen, and I have many times made all sorts of connections to many different real life aspect with this series.

+Quote Post
Ed-o Elrich
post Sep 14 2005, 11:50 PM
Post #34

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,774

I kind of saw a corellation between Ishbal/Lior and Vietnam/Iraq...both wars based on a lie....that's just me though. I don't think it was entirely intentional, just thought it was interesting though.

+Quote Post
Creepy_Lizard
post Apr 15 2007, 06:18 AM
Post #35

Citizen

Member No.: 46,110

I’m amused by the amount of ignorance in this topic, I really am. As an Arab and a Muslim, living right at the center of the Middle East, knowing everything that could possibly be known about Middle Eastern traditions. I’d proudly like to point few things that prove that Ishbal are based on Palestine. No, not Iraq. Palestine. Firstly… Full Metal Alchemist was created at July 2001, the Iraqi war started at March 20, 2003. There’s no way Ishbal is based on Iraq. Secondly, Isballah sounds a lot like Allah. Obviously, that’s what the creators where reffering to. And if you watch the episode where the war of Ishbal was firstly mantioned, you’d notice a building looking a lot like a mousqe in the back. Pretty much like THE QUODS, to be exact.
http://www.ouraqsa.com/images/4.jpg
Plus, the “doctor” mantioned something about Ishbal looking at their reilgon strongly, which is also another similarity to Muslims. The part where the Fire Alchesmist was ready to kill the Ishbalian child, he was holding a gun, wasn’t he? Kids holding weapons to protect themselves is pretty common in Palestine. The last thing I’d like to point out are the colour of the skin and clothes.

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Apr 15 2007, 06:24 PM
Post #36

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 3,284

Mind pointing out exactly where you are and giving some evidence to back that up instead of just saying "Right in the center of the middle east"? That doesn't provide a very strong argument.

Not very related but also a matter of curiosity is that you seem to have joined and posted once only for the sake of ressurecting this old topic. Is that your sole purpose for joining the community?

Lots of analogies can be interpreted between the cultures of the FMA world, and certainly, not all of them are flattering. It's very possible that the creators of the FMA anime wanted to take this plot point of the war and this particular desert culture as an analogy for modern struggles. (Which feels unsettling and even a little cheap. Thinly veiled allegory is not nearly as powerful as a universal story about war, racism and human depravity in general. I won't pretend that I adore everything about the anime without question; there are many narrative flaws and weaknesses, and that point is one of them, imo.)

It might be noted, however, the differences in the manga's vision of Ishbal, and the anime's as well as the transliteration of the names. It's very obvious that the cultures are drawn to be similar but different in some ways to our own world cultures: Xing to China, for example, and with Ishbal seeming to be a melting pot of various middle eastern influences, much as Amestris is shown as an odd steampunk country of european origin. However, in the manga, Ishbal was not far from Amestris, nor even its own country, but was a small region within Amestris itself, and the war was not a diplomatic exploration attempt gone wrong, but a civil war. If anything, the more accurate parallels drawn up in that situation would be to A- America and its opression of the natives, or B- America's imprisonment of Japanese American citizens in WWII. Of course, none of these parallels run perfectly pure and through, but rather, the Ishbal War is its own story, which draws from common travesties committed in many wars over the course of humanity, thus making it both and original war, and also "Any War".

But of course, in both the anime and the manga, the driving forces behind the war: the manipulators, the minds, the ideals and the people who push the agenda, are not clearly parallel to any individual culture, issue or political force that comes to mind.

Unless of course, it turns out that George W Bush is a 500 year old body snatcher with a case of bad rotting skin who seeks immortality. Doubt it.

Also, the name is most likely to be intended to be romanized as "Ishvar", which makes their subsequent name for God "Ishvara", which seems to be derived from the Sanskrit term for "Lord". All of these are merely projections, of course.

--------------------

+Quote Post
helmet boy
post Apr 16 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #37

Citizen

Member No.: 46,143

to quote Hilde Knight, because i cant quote for some reason, what your saying is complete bull..... The fact that you compare both of them sickens me. 700,000 people killed, most iraqi, and about 3 million refugees i think, with 100,000 leaving each month. "get up and use their own legs"? in case you havnt noticed, iraqs legs have been broken by the allied forces, but the only thing now holding it up is the allied forces. One cell over their fighting back has 160,000 members. thats more than the iraqi army, and thats ONE cell out of god knows how many smaller ones. the fact is the coalistion started this problem, and their going to need to fix it, and it isnt going to happin over night you know.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 16 2007, 01:02 PM
Post #38

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

What I'd like to point out and remind everyone, is that we don't really know what Arakawa had in mind when she wrote FMA, and Ishivarans in the FMA (as far as FMA manga goes, she is still writing the story, but we also know, from the Interviews she gave, that she already has the ending of FMA manga, and pretty much known that from the beginning of FMA.)

Having said that, FMA is a very interesting story, and we can draw many analogies to the situations we know/learned personally, be it Palestine situation, European colonialism, the history of Indian natives in the U.S., or the Japanese-Americans in the concentration camps during WWII, and so on, and I'd like to keep this thread as a thread where we can post such analogies to FMA story.

@Creepy_Lizard - Welcome to the board!! I think your analogy of comparing Ishvar to Palestine is interesting, and I tend to agree that if we compare FMA to the Middle East, Palestinians are good example to compare to Ishvarans. smile.gif
(Although, IMO, Palestine - Israel wars, the latest in the centuries old conflicts in that region, might not exactly match the FMA story. ^^)

@helmet boy - Also, welcome to the board!! I see you have a strong opinion about the current Iraq war, and I appreciate your input. Tho, a little reminder that I would like to see this thread to remain as a place to bring out the analogies to FMA story, and staying away from becoming a vehicle to debate the current Iraq situation. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AudioAlchemist
post Jun 7 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #39

Citizen

Member No.: 46,978

QUOTE(Guest @ Feb 26 2005, 10:12 PM) [snapback]121999[/snapback]
Muslims also believe that Black Magic can only be done with the devils help.

blink.gif You're crazy. blink.gif

is true

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Jun 7 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #40

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

QUOTE(AudioAlchemist @ Jun 7 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]550409[/snapback]

is true

Well I'm convinced. Who the hell needs proof when some newbie can just pop along and confirm it? rolleyes.gif
Seriously, proof please.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Menelvir
post Jun 15 2007, 11:20 AM
Post #41

Alchemists

Member No.: 46,907

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Jun 8 2007, 01:38 AM) [snapback]550410[/snapback]
QUOTE(AudioAlchemist @ Jun 7 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]550409[/snapback]

is true

Well I'm convinced. Who the hell needs proof when some newbie can just pop along and confirm it? rolleyes.gif
Seriously, proof please.

Umm... If AudioAlchemist's location is correct, then he should know. Malaysia is a Muslim country. (BTW, welcome to the forums, AudioAlchemist!)

Did some research on it anyway... The Quran states this:

“They followed what the Shayaateen (devils) gave out (falsely of the magic) in the lifetime of Sulaymaan (Solomon). Sulaymaan did not disbelieve, but the Shayaateen (devils) disbelieved, teaching men magic and such things that came down at Babylon to the two angels, Haaroot and Maaroot, but neither of these two (angels) taught anyone (such things) till they had said, ‘We are for trial, so disbelieve not (by learning this magic from us).’ And from these (angels) people learn that by which they cause separation between man and his wife, but they could not thus harm anyone except by Allaah’s Leave. And they learn that which harms them and profits them not. And indeed they knew that the buyers of it (magic) would have no share in the Hereafter. And how bad indeed was that for which they sold their ownselves, if they but knew.

And if they had believed and guarded themselves from evil and kept their duty to Allaah, far better would have been the reward from their Lord, if they but knew!”

[al-Baqarah 2:102-103]

I hope this is proof enough.

--------------------

~A painless lesson is one without any meaning; There is no coming to consciousness without pain~

Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

+Quote Post
Night Shadow Alc...
post Jun 15 2007, 11:29 AM
Post #42

Citizen

Member No.: 47,107

I know this is quite obvious but

Hitler = Furhrer = King Bradley

BRADLEY IS A NAZI!!!!!!! ie Homunulus are nazis!!!!!!!!!!

ignore the last line XD

--------------------

________________________________________________________________________________
NIGHT SHADOW ALCHEMIST

+Quote Post
Menelvir
post Jun 17 2007, 03:07 AM
Post #43

Alchemists

Member No.: 46,907

Hmm... Not exactly, Night Shadow Alchemist! The Homunculi weren't in political power. It'd be more accurate to say that the military are all Nazis. Edward Elric is a Nazi. laugh.gif

No, on a more serious note, Fuhrer simply means 'leader' in German. Nazi Germany was ruled by a totalitarian system, i.e. only one person in power: Hitler. The Nazis didn't have much of a say, especially those Hitler thought to oppose him. Remember the Night of the Long Knives?

Amestris is more of a military dictatorship. The military has sole power, although Bradley didn't hold on as tightly to his power as Hitler did. He gave the military certain power too.

((Someone correct me if I'm wrong... I didn't really like History lessons... And I absolutely hate politics and learning all the types of government...))

--------------------

~A painless lesson is one without any meaning; There is no coming to consciousness without pain~

Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2016 - 01:26 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css