Reply to this topicStart new topic
Raiden-18, Arakawa's Other Work, Chapter 1, Chapter 2
adamclark
post Jul 19 2005, 12:41 PM
Post #1

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,467

Did you read what she wrote in the front of volume one? first i was surprised to find out that the creator of the show was a woman.

personally i guess i never really thought about the creator's gender, but i guess it took a woman to come up with such a intricate and creative storyline.

but anyway, she wrote that she loves b-movies, and that they were in part inspiration for her story.

now that's shocking! i'd never thought those things could produce anything good, since nothing good was put in producing them!

--------------------
"Everybody's a jerk. You, me, this jerk." -Bender
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Envious..._*
post Jul 19 2005, 02:49 PM
Post #2

Guests

Yes I was also surprised when I found out the creator was a woman (nothing sexist mind you).

Her B-movie comment was amusing.

"What the hell kind of alchemy is that?!"

+Quote Post
MasterKris
post Jul 19 2005, 06:49 PM
Post #3

Brigadier General

Member No.: 8,833

At first, I thought Arakawa-sensei WAS a woman. (Her comments sounds so woman-ish) But then I heard around that she was a guy, so I'm like, REALLY??? blink.gif
But then I knew they were misunderstood after I read the Hiromu Arakawa-sensei's biography at Encyclopedia.com.
Mostly, I'm suprised at guys who draws mangas, not women.

--------------------
HYO!!
Known as the Sadistic Feedbacker. The Wise Spanish Apprentice of *~vachi~*
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Mas...-sensei-sig.png
Siggy & avvy made by me.

Visit My Manhwa/Manga Raws Thread!!

+Quote Post
Chibi Viki
post Jul 20 2005, 09:10 AM
Post #4

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 32

actually, what makes arakawa-sensei stand out is the fact that her series is a shonen (boys) title which are usually done by male artists. she's like rumiko takahashi, creator of the ranma 1/2 and inu yasha series.

but what makes her different is the way she tells her story. she doesn't need the addition of nudity, exagerated violence and other types of fan service to capture her audience ... just her story.

since FMA was under a shonen manga magazine, Shonen Gangan Monthly, most people thought she was a guy.

Have you guys seen her first project? the leading characters look like Havoc and Lust, someone posted the pic in this forum a few months ago.

--------------------
- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
adamclark
post Jul 20 2005, 12:28 PM
Post #5

Alchemists

yeah, chibi, i was impressed that she was able to tell a great and captivating story without unneccessary nudity and volence. which, of course, male writers (and readers) usually tend to add/want.

and i'm not going by stereotypes, i'm a guy, and i know that is common in American pop-culture at least, far too common.

it shows that Arakawa is a very talented writer and artist, that she didn't have to pander to create an execptional manga. I would love to read other things she's created.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensenic
post Jul 20 2005, 01:58 PM
Post #6

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 11,694

QUOTE(Chibi Viki @ Jul 20 2005, 05:10 PM)
Have you guys seen her first project? the leading characters look like Havoc and Lust, someone posted the pic in this forum a few months ago.
[snapback]220042[/snapback]

Where be it? Me wants... ohmy.gif

--------------------
貧乳神・・・

+Quote Post
MasterKris
post Jul 20 2005, 03:16 PM
Post #7

Brigadier General

Member No.: 8,833

What's more suprising is that this is her very first manga!! Such a sucess at her first story. Arakawa-sensei has the definite talent for mangas.

--------------------
HYO!!
Known as the Sadistic Feedbacker. The Wise Spanish Apprentice of *~vachi~*
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Mas...-sensei-sig.png
Siggy & avvy made by me.

Visit My Manhwa/Manga Raws Thread!!

+Quote Post
Envy's lil...
post Jul 20 2005, 03:25 PM
Post #8

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 7,890

I wasn't all that suprised when I learned the author was a woman. It makes perfect sense since, like a couple of people pointed out, there's not a lot of fanservice nudity or violence. Also there are several strong female characters in this series which is rare in anime.

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Jul 20 2005, 05:56 PM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE(MasterKris @ Jul 20 2005, 03:16 PM)
What's more suprising is that this is her very first manga!! Such a sucess at her first story. Arakawa-sensei has the definite talent for mangas.
[snapback]220474[/snapback]

It's not her very first manga. She has drawn up a few short one-chapter mangas (less than 10) before this. FMA is her very first serialised manga however.

+Quote Post
foolmetal alchem...
post Jul 20 2005, 06:09 PM
Post #10

Major General

Member No.: 12,269

FMA was actually the first manga I had ever read, so I wasn't surprised by Arakawa being a female. I had no idea that most shounen authors were male at the time.

--------------------

Currently EKE's GP Deshi-in Training!
*Has been nicknamed "Dai-chan" by Celes.*
Aily: He's so adorable. :3

+Quote Post
Chibi Viki
post Jul 20 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #11

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 32

QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 21 2005, 12:56 AM)
QUOTE(MasterKris @ Jul 20 2005, 03:16 PM)
[snapback]220474[/snapback]

It's not her very first manga. She has drawn up a few short one-chapter mangas (less than 10) before this. FMA is her very first serialised manga however.
[snapback]220591[/snapback]

oh, i see. sorry about that. but does anyone know where we could at least see her past works? (hehe, me wonders if she has other characters that look like roy and riza)

--------------------
- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
adamclark
post Jul 21 2005, 12:04 PM
Post #12

Alchemists

yeah, i like the fact that she included many strong and significant female characters.

in that sense it is very well-balanced. there are strong male and female characters that help move the story along.

i mean, in reality, it was the influence of a woman that started the story in the first place, i.e: Trisha Elrich.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saturn Stars
post Jul 21 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #13

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 11,102

I also became another fan of hers. The way she tells the story and keeps the readers captivated without anything BUT the story (as was said) is truly amazing.

People go crazy for FMA, I being one. And when I found out that the author was a female, I was certainly suprised. But now that I look at the manga and start to realise more, I would be shocked if a male was writing something as FMA.

You can tell a female writes it and the input of strong female characters makes it all that more intresting

--------------------
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>LOL!</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>~*~Lialiakicks' evil parter in crime~*~</span>
*Yukina_Raven's lil sis* *Chiyo's lil sis* My big sisters rock!
Taken Away EdxWinxRozexWin? Lost in Your Heaven EdxWin... er... WinxMunichAl? (It's up to your imagination lol) EdxWinry 100 Themes Uh yeah that's EdxWin Someone Who Cares For Me EdxWin... again... Manga Related? Stand Up and Walk Forward Umm yes... EdxWin His Gift *Cough* Edxwin *Cough* Manga related? First Kiss [Edxwin] Nah really saturn Stars? Let me tell you... if fluff could kill... *Manga, Chapter 48 related*
Above is my army of Edxwin fics... lol enjoy!

+Quote Post
Guest_GS4Life_*
post Jul 22 2005, 08:54 PM
Post #14

Guests

Yeah I'm suprised that a lot of women write Mangas. My favorites are Fullmetal Alchemist, Dragonball, Inuyasha, DBZ, and Yu Yu Hakusho. IY was also written by a women IIRC.

+Quote Post
adamclark
post Jul 29 2005, 12:46 PM
Post #15

Alchemists

but in terms of her b-movie comment , i'm beginning to see its influence. not in the story, but all those corny little jokes at the end of each manga is very b-movieish. good thing they didn't bring any of that over to the anime!

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2016 - 10:15 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css