Reply to this topicStart new topic
Haibane Renmei, Charcoal Feathers
Triss Hawkeye
post Feb 8 2007, 04:43 AM
Post #16

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,067

[spoiler]It is generally thought that Rakka and Reki both commited suicide, given their depressed state and them becoming Sin-Bound. However the Haibane in general are probably children who died before their time.[/spoiler]

--------------------
"You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."
~C.S. Lewis~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Haruka_The_Alche...
post Feb 12 2007, 01:19 PM
Post #17

Citizen

Member No.: 43,598

Hey I've heard of this,I'm intrested in the series but I dunno where I could find the DVDs at a good price (since I don't have that much money happy.gif').

+Quote Post
CodenameElizabet...
post Feb 12 2007, 01:32 PM
Post #18

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 41,714

I have SO MUCH LOVE for this anime. I own the entires series-- in the limited edition box-- and it's definitely one of my favorites.

It gets bonus points for totally making me tear up. I never get like that over movies and stuff. The characters are so well developed and real for being from a fictional story. (I was like, OMFG-- Reki has the same emotional baggage as me!! WTF?)

The series never really does answer the question of "what are the Haibane?" You are still left wondering after the show ends.

Triss Hawkeye, your icon WINS.

AND I picked up the same undertones about Rakka and Reki [spoiler]both being 'sin-bound' due to being suicides[/spoiler]. Good to see I wasn't the only one who picked up on this. The tought was kind of morbid to me at first. I wonder if our theory was correct... (I love philosophical anime like this.)

--------------------

BONES SHIPS ROIAI. (We have Proof.)

+Quote Post
Triss Hawkeye
post Feb 12 2007, 02:24 PM
Post #19

Alchemists

Yeah, me too. Do you know of any other good philosophical animes? Makes a change from all the action (don't worry Ed - we still love you!!) biggrin.gif

--------------------
~C.S. Lewis~

+Quote Post
CodenameElizabet...
post Feb 13 2007, 11:47 AM
Post #20

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 41,714

Triss, one simply cannot beat Evangelion for a philosophical anime. It's the ultimate mind-fcuk IMO. wink.gif

If you like ABe's art style from HR, you can always try Serial Experiments LAIN. Another good, thought-provoking series.

Another series I like is "Now and Then, Here and There." It's not well known, and it has a simply art style. But the simple art masks a crazy deep message about the futlilty of war, and the people it affects.

Seeing this thread caused me to go home from work and MAINLINE Haibane Renmei last night. In a six-hour geek-a-thon.
And yeah, it still makes me cry after all these years...

Back on the topic of HR, when I was watching the series last night, I got to thinking about your theory about the Haibane [spoiler]all being children who died 'before their time.' Since every Haibane has a 'dream' before thy are born, I was thinking that perhaps the dream had something to do with how they died. Take for instance Rakka and Reki. Our theory is that they were suicides-- Rakka jumping from a high place, and Reki throwing herself in front of a moving train. So, the other Haibane could easily have their 'dreams' compared to the way they died. Nemu dreamed of sleeping, so I equated this with a coma, or perhaps Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Kuu had a similar dream as Rakka, but was not sin-bound, so I assumed she also died from a fall, but hers was accidental. Hikari dreamed of being surrounded by bright light, so I immediately thought of a fire causing her death. Kana dreamed of floating in a river, so she may have drowned. Hyoko (spelling?) the boy from the abandoned factory, was named after a frozen lake, so maybe he fell through a frozen lake and also drowned...[/spoiler]

Just my two cents, but figured I'd share. wink.gif

--------------------

BONES SHIPS ROIAI. (We have Proof.)

+Quote Post
Triss Hawkeye
post Feb 13 2007, 02:50 PM
Post #21

Alchemists

That's a very good point.

Yes, Haibane Renmei made me cry too. I practically burst into tears at the final episode and also [spoiler]when Kuu had her Day of Flight[/spoiler].

--------------------
~C.S. Lewis~

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Feb 13 2007, 02:58 PM
Post #22

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

QUOTE(CodenameElizabeth @ Feb 13 2007, 06:47 PM) [snapback]504696[/snapback]
Back on the topic of HR, when I was watching the series last night, I got to thinking about your theory about the Haibane [spoiler]all being children who died 'before their time.' Since every Haibane has a 'dream' before thy are born, I was thinking that perhaps the dream had something to do with how they died. Take for instance Rakka and Reki. Our theory is that they were suicides-- Rakka jumping from a high place, and Reki throwing herself in front of a moving train. So, the other Haibane could easily have their 'dreams' compared to the way they died. Nemu dreamed of sleeping, so I equated this with a coma, or perhaps Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Kuu had a similar dream as Rakka, but was not sin-bound, so I assumed she also died from a fall, but hers was accidental. Hikari dreamed of being surrounded by bright light, so I immediately thought of a fire causing her death. Kana dreamed of floating in a river, so she may have drowned. Hyoko (spelling?) the boy from the abandoned factory, was named after a frozen lake, so maybe he fell through a frozen lake and also drowned...[/spoiler]

Just my two cents, but figured I'd share. wink.gif

I read something similar on Wikipedia. Nemu could have been anything from a coma to suffocation.

The ending managed to surprise me.
[spoiler]I knew Rekki would be freed from being Sin bound but I didn't expect her to get her day of flight. The twin cocoons were a cute little extra.[/spoiler]
I wouldn't have minded seeing a bit more but thats always the way with most anime...

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Triss Hawkeye
post Feb 13 2007, 03:05 PM
Post #23

Alchemists

Yes - with a lot of things you just want there to be more, but I guess it's best being short and 100% wonderful, rather than long, bloated and filler-full. *cough*Naruto*cough*

--------------------
~C.S. Lewis~

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2016 - 07:53 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css