HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Thread for Royai Fans who had finished reading/watching FMA Manga/FMA:Brotherhood, Warning! Please do NOT click if you haven't seen series final
Tombow
post Jun 11 2010, 02:43 PM
Post #16

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

"Accidental-spoiler prevention" post

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 11 2010, 03:06 PM
Post #17

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

The actual discussions start below. smile.gif

Now that you have read FMA manga chapter 108, the final chapter, please post your reflections/thoughts/opinions on the Royai pairing in the FMA manga on this thread. This of course can include your opinions and thoughts on Roy and Riza scenes in the chapter 108, what is there, and/or what is not included in the concluding chapter, etc.....

However, we also hope to see your thoughts and opinions on the Royai relationship as a whole in the series, what it means in your opinion, and your opinions of the relationship now that you know how it stands at the end of the series, etc.

Note: This thread is created for specifically for Royai fans to post Roayai related discussions upon the conclusion of FMA manga series. And therefore....
If you have comments on the ending of the series OTHER THAN Royai related content, please post that on FMA Manga Ending: Your Thoughts On How The Series Has Concluded thread.
Or, if you have GENERAL COMMENTS on the CONTENT of chapter 108, please post that on Chapter 108, The Final Chapter, Content Discussion Thread.
And, please AVOID any OFF-TOPIC comments and discussions on this thread.

Also please note that:
As with any and all of our FMA character discussion threads, please refrain from posting any dissing of other FMA pairings, or 'shippers of such pairings. If you happen to forget and make any such comments, please do not mind that the board staff may Delete/Edit such comments with or without any further notice. We hope to see this thread to be used for the meaningful discussions about this wonderful pairing in the series, and not the dissing and trashing of other pairings/shippers. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
angelofsarcasm89
post Jun 12 2010, 01:47 PM
Post #18

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 70,605

I loved everything else about the ending, but I definitely wasn't satisfied by the lack of resolution for Roy and Riza. Yeah I'm glad that we see them together still, but compared to what Ed and Al got it's not much. I'd have been overjoyed with just a simple picture of them in civilian clothes with him offering her his arm or something.

Even the dog got more resolution at the end. dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Jun 12 2010, 02:18 PM
Post #19

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

I think we should have had some more closure for Roy and Riza... but there must be a reason why Arakawa didn't include it. I think if we knew why, then it'd probably make a lot of sense and we wouldn't be so unsatisfied.

For me, I'm perfectly content seeing them together as commander and subordinate once again, because they're still progressing in their goals. I really don't think that they would even consider a romantic relationship just 2 years after everything happened, it doesn't fit in with their goals, or them as people. In a way, it's just starting for them. So, it doesn't surprise me to see them still working hard (this is about as much as I can gather from one small panel lol) after 2 years, 10 years yes, but not so soon. Plus, it's never been about Roy and Riza as a romantic couple, they've been on the same page for too long now for one big event to change things between them that drastically.

After everything that's happened, I think they both realise now than ever before that the country, Ishval, and their goals are the most important thing. That's what stands out for me.

At least they're back together in military sense, he has his Queen back. wink.gif

+Quote Post
black~hayate
post Jun 12 2010, 03:18 PM
Post #20

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 67,859

Okay. I can finally write this xD
First when I saw the raws I was REALLY dissapointed. I needed to learn for a test, but the whole "waiting for Raw" thing and the lack of Royai almost killed me that evening, so the test was forgotten quickly. I was really frustrated, since it seemed to be nothing special Royaish in the last chapter. I liked the Edwin. I liked everything else. But there wasn't the thing I expected to love about the chapter.
After reading the translations the day after I throught that it wasn't THAT bad. It was actually pretty cute. And there was some Royai. Roy saying, "Call my subordinates blabla" was great and Hawkeye worrying about him was pretty cute, too. And about Grumman, I know that Roy will be Fuhrer after him.

It's just that we expected some romance, like a kiss, one more hug and some fans even expected a proposal, while I bet, the Edwin guys didn't expect this to happen in their case.
So the truth is, I like Edwin, but my pairing is Royai. And I wasn't annoyed about the proposal in the final chapter. But I was annoyed of the lack of Royai interactions.

It was like "you saw enough in chapter 107. You don't need more Royai now." As if this is what Arakawa wanted to tell us.
I hope that we will get more in episode 64. I was pessimistic about it, but since it's an extra episode of the future, it must be something special. And it's not like they can leave out Roy and Riza out of it.

--------------------
You have to leave me alot of cute messages! I love messages =3

Bark! Bark bark bark!

+Quote Post
spectator
post Jun 12 2010, 03:43 PM
Post #21

Alchemists

Member No.: 34,836

The last few pages remind me of the scan depicting Winry and Riza dashing for the bouquet. I think Winry won. mellow.gif

I personnally think that Arakawa sensei will not continue the story by giving a gaiden, omake, or a movie. If she will, I just hope there is nothing like the CoS.

And about Riza wearing a bra... Hmmm... You guys do know that female officers in the front line wear sports bra underneath right? That will be so awkward without one, consider that they are more susceptible to injury.

Overall, Royai's ending is inconclusive. They could have married or even have started a family, but there is no way to find out.

BTW, Black Hayate rules! XD

--------------------
'Prince of Dawn' Fanfiction - Envoy of Love: The True Prince

Eastern Headquarters' Attraction - Something fun to read.

CoS and FMA1 Fanfiction - Right person, wrong place, wrong time

+Quote Post
poopatroopa
post Jun 12 2010, 04:35 PM
Post #22

Citizen

Member No.: 73,316

I don't think a start of a "real romance" would be necessary. Just something that acknowledged that their relationship actually moved somewhere from the start of the series. The two were given a lot of time/development over the series (the fight with lust, the explanation of their past, two scenes of the final battle) as well as little hints/tidbits like "the call" scene which really wasn't necessary from a story point of view. Giving them no fruit at the end just seems cheap and a waste given all that happened.

+Quote Post
crazyanimefan
post Jun 12 2010, 05:32 PM
Post #23

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,696

I'm glad I didn't spoil myself because I thought the level of Royai was perfect. Somehow, I didn't feel like there was a need for there to be any Royai in 108. I noticed that there wasn't any "closure" for Royai, but I am perfectly content with what Arakawa gave us. For me, I feel that while we as readers get more and more glimpses into their life, Roy and Riza's relationship hasn't really changed at all. They've been on the same page for forever, and they're going to continue that way for forever. I think that all the drama with the Gate and his blindness was more than enough to satisfy my shipping heart. They didn't even need to interact because what Roy said about following him again and what I knew Riza would do coincided perfectly. They will continue to be a loyal, supportive pair, and even though Arakawa does not blatantly state any romance, there is enough there for me to infer a romantic relationship between the two and I am perfectly fine with that.

Did I think they would get married or kiss? No, because that's not like what I imagined them to be like. They are still two professionals working on their goals. When I started in FMA, I would've done anything to have them kiss, but I found that what portrayed their feelings more than a kiss was their subtle actions and their carefully thought out words. The idea of Riza helping Roy on his dream, the idea of Roy taking care of his subordinates just seems to scream Royai more than a canon kiss ever would. With that single picture at the end, that is what Arakawa got across to me, so I am happy.

Hopefully not off topic, I did not actually find anything odd with the fact that there was more EdWin than Royai. Honestly, I thought it was quite fitting. FMA has always been the story of Ed and Al, of the brothers, their actions, and how it affects the people around them. I believe that they are the ones that truly needed the closure. As I previously stated, I believe that Roy and Riza have developed more in their relationship than Edward and Winry, being "on the same page" with one another. This may be due to age, the Ishballan War, and other factors. Ed and Winry have always had this tension, and while Winry's feelings were outright stated many chapters ago, they needed a kind of resolution to finally bring everything together, something that I dont think Royai ever needed. (And yes, I am an EdWin shipper, if that has relevance.)

This was my attempt to organize all my thoughts on Royai (and EdWin, since I have a feeling that may get brought up, but this may be up for edits), so I hope this makes sense. Not trying to offend others who thought differently, just writing out my own opinions. Overall, very happy with the conclusion of FMA. Twas epic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kaori Ayanami
post Jun 12 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #24

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,575

QUOTE (crazyanimefan @ Jun 12 2010, 06:32 PM) *
Ed and Winry have always had this tension, and while Winry's feelings were outright stated many chapters ago, they needed a kind of resolution to finally bring everything together, something that I dont think Royai ever needed.

Indeed. Roy and Riza are way more mature than Ed and Winry (which doesn't mean they're not dry.gif). To say they needed to "move" their relationship to a "higher" level or something like that is to underestimate them (no offense intended... really).

I have a theory! (Finally, Royai spoilers allowed! And no spoiler tags! ^^)
Remember Black Hayate and his pups? I think that, no matter how incredibly good is Riza as a dog owner, she just can't keep them. She may give them to others, but the very fact that there is a photo of them with their parent(s) (damn, even the fact that she didn't avoid Hayate's pups!) means they're kind of accepted. Sooo, given that neither she nor her old teammates are as free as they used to be, I suppose she'll need some kind of alliance. *wink wink* *hint hint*

What do you think about it? After all, the pups' photo seems kind of random, and Arakawa is everything BUT that...

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Jun 12 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #25

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

Even just one page of some sort of closure would have satisfied me. Personally, I think we all know that they care deeply for each other, and I don't think a relationship is that far off, but a little reassurance would be nice. Maybe it'll say something in a guidbook, or gaiden... hell, maybe even Brotherhood will add something. (We all know Bones ships Royai!) I just am a little upset that Arakawa didn't give us anything there. Maybe she thought the whole chapter would have to much of a sappy, romancy feel to it if she included even one more couple. Who knows?
And seriously, people. No need to be upset about Edwin! It was like... *checks calculator* 4.5% of the whole chapter! But I guess with that little bit they were given quite a bit of closure. I would be happy if Royai got even 1% at this point. ;_;

Will Riza become a crazy dog lady?

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
angelofsarcasm89
post Jun 12 2010, 07:47 PM
Post #26

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,605

QUOTE (FailToImpress @ Jun 12 2010, 04:18 PM) *
I really don't think that they would even consider a romantic relationship just 2 years after everything happened, it doesn't fit in with their goals, or them as people.

The thing is though, it doesn't have to be two years. The picture of Ed and Al and May and Winry with the kids obviously had to have been taken several years later.

The two of them staying together in the military didn't need any confirmation. I don't think anyone expected them to just drop it and go do whatever. I would have just liked to see them outside of work. Like I said, a picture of them with each other wearing civilian clothes would have been more than enough.

--------------------

+Quote Post
spectator
post Jun 12 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #27

Alchemists

Have you guys realized that FMA games ship more tinny tiny royai moment? Some of those are quite random which I dislike. And, it's sort of non-canon if Royai is depicted in the games rather than the main stream manga.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Jun 13 2010, 02:31 AM
Post #28

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

QUOTE (angelofsarcasm89 @ Jun 13 2010, 03:47 AM) *
The thing is though, it doesn't have to be two years. The picture of Ed and Al and May and Winry with the kids obviously had to have been taken several years later.

I suppose, I think I'm just getting confused with the end of the chapter and the very last page. smile.gif

I'd just love for Arakawa to let us know why she didn't include more for them, because like I say I'm sure her reasons would make sense. In all honesty I wouldn't have liked to see them married or with kids, since all it really does is satisfy our fandom. It's a bit like Scar's name, we could have found out his name at the end, but we didn't and it doesn't really make any difference whether we do or not.

It's a lot different to Ed and Winry since they had progressed through the whole series whereas Roy and Riza already had something established. It may not be perfect, but they had a relationship of some sort. I don't imagine it's easy to break free from that either. I suppose you could say that Roy and Riza did spark up a deeper relationship afterwards, and that's totally plausible, but the reason why we don't see it is that it isn't at the forefront of their minds, so it shouldn't be so important to us as readers, either. Their goals have always been put first and that isn't about to change.

That said, I do think that the very last page lends itself beautifully to animation. I think we'll definitely get some scenes out of that. First I'd like to see a bit more Royai, second on the list is Ed and Winry with the kids T_T

+Quote Post
edward435
post Jun 13 2010, 05:28 AM
Post #29

Citizen

Member No.: 74,322

QUOTE (FailToImpress @ Jun 12 2010, 04:18 PM) *
I think we should have had some more closure for Roy and Riza... but there must be a reason why Arakawa didn't include it. I think if we knew why, then it'd probably make a lot of sense and we wouldn't be so unsatisfied.

For me, I'm perfectly content seeing them together as commander and subordinate once again, because they're still progressing in their goals. I really don't think that they would even consider a romantic relationship just 2 years after everything happened, it doesn't fit in with their goals, or them as people. In a way, it's just starting for them. So, it doesn't surprise me to see them still working hard (this is about as much as I can gather from one small panel lol) after 2 years, 10 years yes, but not so soon. Plus, it's never been about Roy and Riza as a romantic couple, they've been on the same page for too long now for one big event to change things between them that drastically.

After everything that's happened, I think they both realise now than ever before that the country, Ishval, and their goals are the most important thing. That's what stands out for me.

At least they're back together in military sense, he has his Queen back. wink.gif

@FailToImpress - i agree with everything you said.

+Quote Post
spectator
post Jun 13 2010, 07:16 AM
Post #30

Alchemists

Guys, I finally understand Arakawa sensei's motive to lack of royai closure.

Unfortunately, Roy and Riza will not consider marriage or starting a family. It's very unlikely, at least not until the world gains peace (Come on! The world will never be at peace).

You see, the living hell in Ishaval changes them. They do not live for themselves anymore, but for the humanity. You can say that they have 'died' in Ishaval once and for the second time in overthrowing Bradley, like Scar. I think working together is the only acknowledgement of their relationship. Sad...

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2016 - 12:34 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css