Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mary-sue Test, Take it NOW.
Kal Rommel
post Dec 28 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #46

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,057

Oh dear....dreadfully high score...no, my heart is no longer singing a melodious rhapsody. It's more of a squeaky tune...
-sigh-
Yes, my character is horribly Mary Sue.

I do love angst.

Oh well. I'll keep her Mary Sue-ness.
She's been developing it gradually for the past 4 years. It's a monumentally acquired angst...

--------------------

^Siggy made by me
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The random alche...
post Dec 28 2006, 10:58 PM
Post #47

Alchemists

Member No.: 42,778

I find this test horribly innacurate. my character got 39 =/ but I tested different ACTUAL character from REAL stories, even without answering the author related question. Character like for example: Gluttony got above acceptable levels, some got over 80 for sh*t sakes and their very lovable character and not too mary sue at all x.x

--------------------
Where there is random you shall find me : D

+Quote Post
Triss Hawkeye
post Dec 29 2006, 03:39 AM
Post #48

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,067

My character got 49. 49!!!

I know she is a bit of a Mary Sue - yes, A BIT, but 49?

Ah well, a bit of fun, I guess. I might change her a bit, with some of the more obvious Mary Sue qualities.

--------------------
"You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."
~C.S. Lewis~

+Quote Post
Nikki Neko
post Jan 2 2007, 06:53 PM
Post #49

Citizen

Member No.: 43,425

....Oh...my...lord...THIS TEST IS HORRIBLY INACCURATE!!!!My character probably got the highest score out of any of you guys!!!(Well,besides Little Washu)) I swear,I'll...I'll burn this test!*twitch*This is one of the-you know what?I'm just going to stop right there.I'm not gonna waste another freaking minute doing something like that ever again!I don't trust this test whatsoever.I won't believe it,nope I won't.*twitch*

((Sorry I'm like in spazzing mood today sleep.gif Anyways,I agree with those who said that test is inaccurate,GOD BLESS YOUR SOUL.*twitch*Sorry,lost it again.AIII!!!!Well,thats that.No test is gonna tell me whether or not my fanfic character is a mary-sue.FREEDOM!!!!*spazzes and falls off the chair twitching on the floor*))

--------------------

Credits to whoever made this,its very pretty ^^

Oh same goes for this one <3

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Jan 2 2007, 07:17 PM
Post #50

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 3,284

Don't get mad at it just because of the score it gave you. It's probably true. Especially judging by your behavior in other areas of the forum.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Ani-chan x3_*
post Jan 8 2007, 01:53 PM
Post #51

Guests

so does turning you charater into a homunculus count as an oc?

+Quote Post
haganenohono
post Jan 12 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #52

Citizen

Member No.: 43,808

I think there's something wrong with this test. Don't get me wrong, it makes many valid points, and several of the things it mentions are indicators for Mary Sues, but I don't think it is an absolute indicator as it doesn't allow for original plot development in a fanfic. I took canon Ed and put him to the test-- he got an 85. Check it out that way yourself.

As for my own charrie, she got a 65. But I'm not sure if she would classify, as she only occassionally comes into an active part in the story. In fact, she more works as a catalyst than anything else, I believe. So though she ranks high, does that make her a Mary Sue?

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Jan 20 2007, 03:26 PM
Post #53

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

^There has been debates about Ed being a Mary-Sue himself...however we are talking about O.C's because they usually have something to do with the main character. Ed IS the main character, he can't be like himself.

Ani - the main problem with creating a Homonculus is there are only 7 sins...no matter what you name an eighth it'll just be a different word for one of the true sins.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astria
post Jan 20 2007, 06:42 PM
Post #54

Apprentice

Member No.: 34,515

That only works for the anime homunculi, and even then only barely.

Dante named them after the sins, but that doesn't mean that someone else performing human transmutation would create 'a Sin', nor even that there can only be seven homunculi at once. The anime homunculi acted the way they did because they were under the influence of the red stones, and Dante's plans. It is quite possible (and *correct in canon*) that with the right resources (an abundance of red water/stone) a person mad enough to try to resurrect someone would end up with a homunculus. No real memories, no sense of identity, and certainly no in-built 'sinfulness' (why did that end up fanon, why?). It would be, as Wrath puts it, a creature with a mind and body of its own, but no soul. Which is why the idea is so grotesquely brilliant.

I normally can't stand fics with 'eighth sins', because they misunderstand what homunculi were actually supposed to be. We're never told for certain that they were the 'embodiment of sin', but too few writers exploit this loop hole. And too few seem to realise that 'Vanity' and 'Pride' are the same darn thing. dry.gif

As far as the manga goes, the creation of homunculi has so far only come down to the actions one person (Father). So the possibility of additional homunculi, especially created by anyone else is...questionable.

@haganenohono - um, sorry, but the very fact that your character acts as a catalyst in the story might condemn her to sue-dom. If she's got a high score, then the vast majority of readers are likely to dismiss her as a Sue. Which is a shame for the writers who've bothered to do the test in the first place. I think these tests give OCs a very bad name. If you know the sort of character you're dealing with (Sue or not), then just go with it if that's what you want to do.

And yes, I think Ed does count as a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu. This is often the case with central characters.

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Jan 21 2007, 09:33 AM
Post #55

Moderator Emeritus

^ well yes, I was refferring to the character she had named which clearly sounded like an attempt at another 'sin'. But its true that people rarely write about homonculus that don't have a sin name

--------------------

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Jan 21 2007, 10:48 AM
Post #56

Lt. General

Member No.: 31,492

I re-took the test and changed my character a bit and got a................................ 54!!!!! I went from a 203 to 54, now that's weird. All I did was decide to not name her after myself, (My account name on Fanfiction.net) She's gone from Cloud Arcanine to Shinobu Testunoske. I very much like the sound of that ^^. And one of the best asspects of that is, Kakashi is still hers (mine). Oh yeah, and in a Fruits Basket story, if you kill a Sohma from the zodiac and replace them with your own chacter, does that count as an oc? Or is just the same as the homunculus thing???

--------------------

d a| Y a k u s o k u |t u m b l r

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Jan 22 2007, 08:48 AM
Post #57

Moderator Emeritus

an OC is a character you created, so yes it is an OC. Even if people make their own homonculus its still and OC

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astria
post Jan 22 2007, 02:56 PM
Post #58

Apprentice

Member No.: 34,515

QUOTE(Chiyo @ Jan 21 2007, 04:33 PM) [snapback]496162[/snapback]
^ well yes, I was refferring to the character she had named which clearly sounded like an attempt at another 'sin'. But its true that people rarely write about homonculus that don't have a sin name

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that because there are only seven sins, there can only be seven homunculi. I shouldn't have ranted at you. Apologies.

+Quote Post
Becca-chan
post Jan 22 2007, 03:49 PM
Post #59

Alchemists

Member No.: 39,345

Hmm.. a character of mine got a 31 in the ' All characters' section O.o
Well I'm not going to change her..even if she's close to being a Mary.. my little Quartina's been developing for 6 years now..I'm not about to remodel her just because of what some inaccurate test says.

Supposedly half of the actual characters in anime's we adore turn out to be Mary-Sues or Gary-Stues anyway O_o; maybe we should run some of the FMA characters through that section and see what comes up.

:: goes to run Tucker through the gauntlet:: I'll post the result I got for him.

Edited - Okay.. Shou Tucker got a 32 in the ' All characters' section.. that would make him a border-line Sue.. or e-heh a border-line Stu as it were XD;

--------------------
Becca-chan; Your local Tucker addict...I am 100% sane, I swear! O.O;

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Jan 22 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #60

Lt. General

Member No.: 31,492

Becca-chan~ That's the spirit! Destroy the test! *forms a riot* Yahhhhh!
Shinobu Tetsunoske is now my official property. Hahahaha. So is Kaede Sohma. Hmmm. Hey, did anyone besides me notice that in Fruits Basket, no one is the Rooster? I'm a dog so I got Shigure (the best character!) but who will my friend Jenny get? So confuzzleing........

--------------------

d a| Y a k u s o k u |t u m b l r

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2016 - 05:02 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css