HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 20: Father Before The Grave - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! May contain spoilers for the first 20 episodes!!
kkg22104
post Aug 16 2009, 01:27 PM
Post #16

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 68,640

QUOTE (Jen_Elric @ Aug 16 2009, 02:30 PM) *
I haven't even SEEN this episode and already I'm not happy. No hairstyle scene?! I love that scene cuz Ed really doesn't want to be like his father.
No "Pinako, I have seem to have lost my house"?! That line is so cute! I LOVE that line!><

And I can't believe that they don't have Ed making a grave for the "Thing" he and Al created. It shows how moral he is. Did they at least have him Mention making a grave?
Ugh.

I'm really sad that they missed two of Hoho's funny scenes. Now anime only watchers will get a different first impression on Hoho :/

Actually, I'm pretty sure the DID include the grave. They didn't say anything about it, but there was definitely a gravestone there (though with nothing carved on it).

--------------------

Sig made by Forsaken Love ^_^
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Aug 16 2009, 04:55 PM
Post #17

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

QUOTE (Womie @ Aug 16 2009, 03:41 PM) *
Does it seems to me, that Ed has longer hair in this episode? ohmy.gif

Ed's hair grows instantaneously when it's let down, don't cha know?

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
Jen_Elric
post Aug 16 2009, 05:23 PM
Post #18

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 9,551

QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Aug 16 2009, 04:27 PM) *
QUOTE (Jen_Elric @ Aug 16 2009, 02:30 PM) *
I haven't even SEEN this episode and already I'm not happy. No hairstyle scene?! I love that scene cuz Ed really doesn't want to be like his father.
No "Pinako, I have seem to have lost my house"?! That line is so cute! I LOVE that line!><

And I can't believe that they don't have Ed making a grave for the "Thing" he and Al created. It shows how moral he is. Did they at least have him Mention making a grave?
Ugh.

I'm really sad that they missed two of Hoho's funny scenes. Now anime only watchers will get a different first impression on Hoho :/

Actually, I'm pretty sure the DID include the grave. They didn't say anything about it, but there was definitely a gravestone there (though with nothing carved on it).

They DId include the grave? Well, great! I'm feeling a little better about this episode now. I'm just waiting for subs...

--------------------

Phyco-girl made my siggy! She's so cool! ^_^
My Family! (Wanna join the Elric family? Please PM me and I'll add you to the family list!)
Little Sisters: ~.:Anime Gal:.~, ~FMAgurl~, Kit, Azura Elric, chocolate_eds_everywhere, Kakashi's#1 girlfriend, FullMetalAlchemist01FAN, Kal Rommel
Brothers:«°~Envy™~°», Mustang's apprentice, niagra flame, Jamal Mana alchemist, bloodlust alchemist

+Quote Post
Zii
post Aug 16 2009, 08:28 PM
Post #19

Citizen

Member No.: 10,818

QUOTE (Fee @ Aug 17 2009, 03:04 AM) *
Maybe Hoho will have his quirky moments later on.

Hah!

I need to keep away from this forum 24 hours after watching the RAW. When I re-view it, it reminds me of all the cuts and makes me feel so disappointed. But because it's FMA I still look forward to every Sunday. |:
Makes me wish I could draw animations. Best alternative I can do is make 3D models and animate those, ohoho

QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Aug 17 2009, 12:16 AM) *
-And what the hell!? They cut out the part of Ed making a grave for the thing!? How could they!? That was freakin' imortant!!

They did show a picture of the unmarked grave, that was close enough I guess.

+Quote Post
Serb Alchemist
post Aug 17 2009, 02:08 AM
Post #20

Citizen

Member No.: 69,818

I have a download link for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Episode 20...

If anyone wants it, he can send me a message, and I will give him the link... wink.gif

--------------------
Kosovo is Serbia, Our Holly Land!!!!

Oh Serbia our mother, do not grieve.
Call us, just call us
All the falcons will
Give their life for you!

+Quote Post
Jealous Rogo
post Aug 17 2009, 06:46 AM
Post #21

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,019

Another week, another new episode of Brotherhood. This weeks was a bit of a come down after last week's high action kickassathon, but that should come as no surprise really. This episode was less abotu kicking [All hail lord Xenu] and more about character and more importantly, about advancing the plot. With that said, here's a quick summary of my thoughts on the events of the episode:

- WHY, OH GOD WHY DID THEY GIVE HOHENHEIM A DIFFERENT VOICE TO FATHER?!? This really bugged me, it's eliminated any suspicion we may have had that they were the same person and that Hohenheim was the ultimate villain of the series. Very dissapointed with that, but I'm sure I'll get over it.

- Hohenheim seemed to lose a little of his personality in the translation. He just came off as rather stiff here. I mean he's supposed to be but all his little quirks (commenting on Ed's hairstyle, telling Pinako what a great friend she is, etc) were lost and again, think this is a shame. I'd have to say the portrayal of Hohenheim is the most dissapointing thing for me in this episode. Though I'm sure this all came as a result of time cuts in an episode that had to portray, let's face it, ALOT of information.

- I always liked that Pinako and Ed had time to interact with each other during this story. It's nice to see Pinako acting like a parental figure, think it shows a great contrast to Hohenheim.

- Now with all the the things removed from this episode, BONES actually ADDED something I liked. I'm referring to Pinako stating that the thing Ed adn Al transmuted was a man. I don't know why I liked this, it just felt like a good change.

- I like Ed's beige jacket.

- Love Ling and Lan Fan stuffing their faces. Makes me giggle. Surprised Homunculus weren't mentioned here. How are they gonna work that in?

- Love that they added the height chart, in case you forgot that Ed was short. (Though I suspect it was to emphasise that Al was shorter than Ed back then)

- Izumi is always awesome.

- Al and Ed's discussion on the stairs - stupid place it may be to have THAT conversation (Apparently they don't see a problem discussing their court martialable offence, loudly in the middle of a military hotel) - was great. The music and everything was perfect. Also liked how the shine on Al's helmet was made to look like tears.

- You hear that? It's the sound of a thousand Edwin fans screaming all at once....

- Don't know how much further into Volume 11 we'll be getting next episode, but something tells me the episode will take us right to the end of it. Bored of the talking this week? Well we're in for some kickass string of episodes by my estimation. Is gonna make waiting an extra week for the episodes worth it, I assure you.

All in all not a thrilling episode, and a bit of a step down from episode 19, but still solid, except for the problems with Hohenheim previously mentioned.

--------------------

Please check out my comic if you have the time

+Quote Post
Full Metal Elf
post Aug 17 2009, 08:40 AM
Post #22

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 23,332

Well...this week's wasn't HORRIBLE like some of them have been, when they rush and cut scenes, but it wasn't as amazing as last week either.

They didn't show any humor between Ed and Hohenheim, which I'm disappointed about. YES...the hair scene! T____________T I loved that scene.

I felt they pushed together and rushed the intensity a little. I guess it should have been done in one episode, but I don't know. I need to go back and re-read it.

I must say...that the scene where Ed digs-up the thing him and Al made, was done fairly well, but I still feel it was more intense in the manga.

Also...Ed's supposed to look older now, at least a little...enough that Winry notes it, and she does in the anime...but I could barely see it! o_O;;

Anyway...I'm REALLY excited for next week ^____^

--------------------

Proud member of the Anti-Shou movment....
Staff Member of M.S.A (Miniskirt Army)

+Quote Post
Womie
post Aug 17 2009, 08:59 AM
Post #23

Citizen

Member No.: 69,364

Anyway...I'm REALLY excited for next week ^____^

But .. Next week won't be the next episode :c [as I heard]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post Aug 17 2009, 09:01 AM
Post #24

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

QUOTE (Jealous Rogo @ Aug 17 2009, 04:46 PM) *
Also liked how the shine on Al's helmet was made to look like tears.

I also noticed this. It's great how Bones managed to catch Al's sad emotions this time around, even while he doesn't have a real body, let alone a face to show his expressions on. This artistic way of doing it is just perfect!

(just like the 'waterdrop falling like a tear'-scene some episodes back. )

I have to say that i really liked this episode. Sadly the animation and drawing style wasn't all that top-notch like it was in ep 19, but it was still good enough. biggrin.gif

The grave scene wasn't as intense as in the manga, but I'm glad they at least tried. (Ed vomiting once in a while, Pinako helping him out, etc. I was afraid they might have cut some of these off, but luckily they didn't.)

Throwing all those small flaws aside, I've really begun to like Brotherhood now. Seeing all the manga scenes coming into life just makes me look forward to every single episode. No doubt this will rise much higher than the first anime ever did in my book. smile.gif

EDIT: Womie-- where did you hear that? D: is it true? *sob*

+Quote Post
Womie
post Aug 17 2009, 09:07 AM
Post #25

Citizen

Member No.: 69,364

Just read beginning of this topic. I have heard it from here smile.gif
Next episode - 30 August

--------------------

+Quote Post
kkg22104
post Aug 17 2009, 09:10 AM
Post #26

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 68,640

QUOTE (Trakonda @ Aug 17 2009, 12:01 PM) *

I also noticed this. It's great how Bones managed to catch Al's sad emotions this time around, even while he doesn't have a real body, let alone a face to show his expressions on. This artistic way of doing it is just perfect!

After checking the manga, I found that the shine was also present in the manga panel, I just never noticed it before. So we should really be giving Arakawa credit instead of Bones laugh.gif

EDIT: Here ya go: http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/44/34/

--------------------

Sig made by Forsaken Love ^_^

+Quote Post
Jealous Rogo
post Aug 17 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #27

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,019

QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Aug 17 2009, 09:10 AM) *
QUOTE (Trakonda @ Aug 17 2009, 12:01 PM) *

After checking the manga, I found that the shine was also present in the manga panel, I just never noticed it before. So we should really be giving Arakawa credit instead of Bones laugh.gif

EDIT: Here ya go: http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/44/34/

So it was... oh well

SCREW YOU BONES

lol

--------------------

Please check out my comic if you have the time

+Quote Post
paperstars
post Aug 17 2009, 11:10 AM
Post #28

Citizen

Member No.: 70,600

So it was... oh well

SCREW YOU BONES

Haha, quite right. I would normally settle with being happy with the fact they left it in, but I'm still kinda sad that Hoho's awesome humor didn't make an appearance. In the manga he's all " I am pure awesome yet still utterly adorable" (I think he's adorable, anyway wink.gif ) but here...not so much.
Aside from that, I thought they did pretty well, I loved Izumi and the digging up of Ed's not-mother. Ed's laughter really scared me though!!! Probably how it should be, I'd be a leetle freaked out if I had to go through that. Nice portrayal Romi Paku biggrin.gif.

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post Aug 17 2009, 12:23 PM
Post #29

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

Ah! I didn't remember that panel, either. Well, props to Bones for adding it in the anime, then! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Womie @ Aug 17 2009, 07:07 PM) *
Just read beginning of this topic. I have heard it from here smile.gif
Next episode - 30 August

Okay, thanks. I somehow missed this. ^^ Kinda disappointing news, but.. oh well.

+Quote Post
Mr. Deathy
post Aug 17 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #30

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,164

I really dont like something that they lost in this episode.

They didn't properly explain that the REASON Ed knew he could get Al's body back is because his brain must still exist somewhere to store his new memories, as the suit of armour isn't capable of storing memories, meaning his body must still exist in some place, probably on the other side of the gate.

What prompted him to think about all this is the realisation that you can not revive the dead, meaning that Al should not exist if his body was "dead".

Instead of this in the anime we basically just got Ed suddenly getting some sudden realisation that Al's body could be pulled back from beyond the gate without any depth to WHY he realised that.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2016 - 06:12 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css