HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 8: The Fifth Laboratory - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! Possible Spoilers for the first 8 episodes!
KenRik
post May 28 2009, 03:11 AM
Post #61

Citizen

Group: Members
From: Somewhere where the sky is blue and hearts are one.
Member No.: 68,268

The eighth episode for me was mostly the best of all 8 episodes I watched pertaining to the art. But as usual, during the episodes so far, there is always
something about the art that ticks me off. At least now, they managed to fix Ed's expressions quite nicely. But still, the background isn't working for me. It was like it was made in 30 seconds. Couldn't they put in more precise details?

And then the fight scenes. The fight between them was better in the first anime. In Brotherhood, the fight scene seemed shorter and lacking in audience impact. Sure, there was audience impact, though not the gravity I was hoping for. And yeah, it could've been better if they showed Barry actually cutting the soldiers' head in half compared to just throwing his weapon. I liked the coloring of the blood though. As well as how they directed Barry's story. Now, inside of the laboratory, there was just a little too much light. It was so bright. They could've dimmed it more so as to make the viewers thoroughly follow and feel the fight scenes. And I don't know whether or not it was because of Ed's height deficiency, but his movements weren't fluid. As No. 48 said, "Like a monkey." Haha! But seriously, they could've lengthened the fight scene. (I'm comparing the art and directing to other animes since I want FMA to be the best... or even just one of it, and not just by the plot but on the overall.)

The part where Ed turned into his chibi form was funny for me. It was during the part where he was asking if there was a third brother. Haha! I liked the motion and art they gave Ed in there. And all in all, Ed's character was drawn better here. THANK HEAVENS! Truth be told, I couldn't take his facial expressions during the seventh episode. Episode eight was really a break through for the FMA Brotherhood artists. Though I wish them better for the following episodes.

Sorry if I ranted mostly about the art. Sure, it's nice that they made them all look younger; slimmer; etc. but the detail and the expressions (mostly on the main characters) really destroyed the first few episodes for me.

--------------------

I'll end this fight with one big blow.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SneakyRuler
post May 28 2009, 07:51 AM
Post #62

Alchemists

Member No.: 67,760

One of the best episodes, maybe the best one! The story went nicely and without stumbling. I ADORED Barry the Chopper and his cute fairy tale of an executed murderer, thanks for sticking to manga! Envy here was amazing and lovable and freakishly maniac at the same time, his VA did an excelent job, even I wouldn't recognize wheter it's a boy's or a girl's voice.
Anyway... this one was a good one and please stay this way, animators and the like! *Looking forward to see Winry and her fine wrench work*

+Quote Post
kkg22104
post May 28 2009, 12:27 PM
Post #63

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 68,640

QUOTE (KenRik @ May 28 2009, 06:11 AM) *
The eighth episode for me was mostly the best of all 8 episodes I watched pertaining to the art. But as usual, during the episodes so far, there is always
something about the art that ticks me off. At least now, they managed to fix Ed's expressions quite nicely. But still, the background isn't working for me. It was like it was made in 30 seconds. Couldn't they put in more precise details?

And then the fight scenes. The fight between them was better in the first anime. In Brotherhood, the fight scene seemed shorter and lacking in audience impact. Sure, there was audience impact, though not the gravity I was hoping for. And yeah, it could've been better if they showed Barry actually cutting the soldiers' head in half compared to just throwing his weapon. I liked the coloring of the blood though. As well as how they directed Barry's story. Now, inside of the laboratory, there was just a little too much light. It was so bright. They could've dimmed it more so as to make the viewers thoroughly follow and feel the fight scenes. And I don't know whether or not it was because of Ed's height deficiency, but his movements weren't fluid. As No. 48 said, "Like a monkey." Haha! But seriously, they could've lengthened the fight scene. (I'm comparing the art and directing to other animes since I want FMA to be the best... or even just one of it, and not just by the plot but on the overall.)

The part where Ed turned into his chibi form was funny for me. It was during the part where he was asking if there was a third brother. Haha! I liked the motion and art they gave Ed in there. And all in all, Ed's character was drawn better here. THANK HEAVENS! Truth be told, I couldn't take his facial expressions during the seventh episode. Episode eight was really a break through for the FMA Brotherhood artists. Though I wish them better for the following episodes.

Sorry if I ranted mostly about the art. Sure, it's nice that they made them all look younger; slimmer; etc. but the detail and the expressions (mostly on the main characters) really destroyed the first few episodes for me.

The background does seem a little bland, but it's not like there was anything extremely significant around the lab besides the transmutation circle on the ground. (Plus I think Bones is rushing through these beginning episodes...hopefully they'll start putting more effort into details later on...)

About Barry killing the soldier, I'm glad they still showed it but the way they did it made it slightly "censored" and not as "bad" as it was in the manga. Makes me wonder how much stuff they're planning on censoring...

And the length of the fight wasn't supposed to be that long anyway. I think in the manga it didn't last that many pages. And then there's the rushing factor again. They got through a lot of important events and information in this episode, so they traded out action scenes for dialogue I guess.

I'm really looking forward to the next episode, even though it's a pretty sad one (poor Al). But the next one is gonna be even sadder. sad.gif

--------------------

Sig made by Forsaken Love ^_^

+Quote Post
KenRik
post May 28 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #64

Citizen

From: Somewhere where the sky is blue and hearts are one.
Member No.: 68,268

QUOTE (kkg22104 @ May 28 2009, 11:27 AM) *
(Plus I think Bones is rushing through these beginning episodes...hopefully they'll start putting more effort into details later on...)

Yeah, I think so too since mostly the first few episodes were already shown as it was in the first anime. So I'm really looking forward to the following episodes where the plot entirely changes from the first anime. Maybe then the art will be better.

QUOTE (kkg22104 @ May 28 2009, 11:27 AM) *
About Barry killing the soldier, I'm glad they still showed it but the way they did it made it slightly "censored" and not as "bad" as it was in the manga. Makes me wonder how much stuff they're planning on censoring...

Haha! Censoring! Of course, that notion never really came into mind. But seriously, it would've given more impact on Barry's color, actually chopping it up, I mean. But yeah, sure I'll take it.

And about the next episode, I'm really looking forward to it as well. biggrin.gif

--------------------

I'll end this fight with one big blow.

+Quote Post
Haineko
post May 28 2009, 08:49 PM
Post #65

Citizen

Member No.: 68,002

Whew, finally got a chance to watch this episode. Overall, easily one of the best so far.

- This may seem like a minor point, but I'm always a stickler for the storytelling/directing and transitions, and I think they got this down perfectly, unlike in some previous episodes. I was surprised by how fluid everything was, but when I went back to read the original manga, I realized that the flow of the scenes was taken pretty much verbatim from the manga. I never realized how cinematic the presentation of those chapters was, it's definitely a testament to Arakawa's storytelling skills. The new transition from Roy and Hughes to Maria and Denny was pretty hilarious as well ^^

- Oh, Barry! <3 <3 <3 yesss

- There were so many manga panels I saw animated, but I especially loved Barry's story. The cartoonish animation was fantastic.

- Fight scenes looked pretty good. Nothing spectacular, but still very fluid and exciting to watch.

- The brief interlude with Roy and Hughes was a great choice to add into this episode instead of where it originally was a little later in the story, as next episode would've been too "crowded" otherwise. There are some episodes where I just want to applaud the directing, and this is one of them.

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post May 30 2009, 05:08 PM
Post #66

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

Wowza. 0.0 I JUST now watched the episode. I was in Disney World with my family all week, so I couldn't get an opportunity to slip away and watch it. XD

I can't really say anything that everyone else hasn't.... *looks through previous comments* Let's see.... wonderful animation.... great music... timing.... voice acting..... yup! Everything seemed to have been covered, so let's see what's in store for future episodes by my guestimations!

- Winry again, as seen in the previews. I'm not totally sure, but they may do a little more EdxWin stuffage in this episode, since (based on the last series) it seems they like to do that. (Not that I take issue with that.)
- I predict excellent voice acting in the next episode. Lots of screaming, muttering angstfully, crying, gentle encouragement, and nervousness coming up, so the voice acting must have really been hammered through.
- The Maria Ross slapping scene may be done differently, because that was something done in the last series.
- The reminiscing scene has got to be done because of, uh.... stuff. You know.
- (I'm not pushing the no-spoiler limits here am I? I'm trying really hard. T_T)

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
Fubuki
post May 30 2009, 11:54 PM
Post #67

Citizen

Member No.: 69,001

QUOTE (kkg22104 @ May 28 2009, 12:27 PM) *

Well, you have to take in to account, as well, that this is airing at %;30 PM in Japan - and even with Japan's higher tolerance of violence in front of the kiddies, they're probably not going to show the poor Extra Guard's head being graphically sliced in two as it was in the manga.

It could have been worse - could you imagine FMA if they censored all the blood? tongue.gif

( And besides, I feel that the shot of Barry holding the bloody cleaver was awesome and more than made up for a lack of head-chopping, but that's just me. biggrin.gif )

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post May 31 2009, 07:08 AM
Post #68

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

I liked this episode a lot. Great animation, great music, great VAing. No weird interruptions in the story or any off-key pacing, like in episode 7.

A few things that ran through my head while rewatching ep 20 of the old anime though, was:

- While not being as fluent and realistically paced as in Brotherhood, as well as being way more (stereo?)typically "anime-styled", the fight sequence between Ed and 48 was actually more enjoyable in the old anime. There it's longer, more dramatic and really builds up the tension for you; it feels more dangerous and threatening, and you can feel that Ed is only able stand up by sheer willpower at the end of the fight.

- Something that was better in this round of Ed vs Slicer the Homicide was the way they showed Ed remembering Scar's destruction-only technique. It was handled more cinematic and just looke more awesome.

- The traps in FMA1 were a funny addition from Bones. Of course I can't complain at the material not being present in Bro-hood, since it's not in the manga, but Ed's weird laugh when he was hanging on the edge of that spike-filled pit was just hilarious XD
Wouldn't mind having them keeping that, but, hey, at least we still got the vent joke tongue.gif

Someone also said that the backgrounds and environments weren't as detailed this time around. Well, maybe not inside of Lab 5, but comparing the backgrounds outside where Al is having his punch-out with Barry, they are way better looking and more detailed in Broherhood than in FMA1.

And when talking about Barry, am I the only one who didn't find his little.. err.. story.. cute and adorable? Despite it's chibi style it was kind of creepy. Not that this is a bad thing, I just didn't find it warm and fuzzy in any way. Though when revealing himself as the "infamous serial-killer, Barry za Choppa!!" and then the steaks started flying, that cracked me up a bit x)

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 3 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #69

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Please add FMA:B English dubbed episode 8 (on CN on Adult Swim) talk-back/discussions here. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Apr 3 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #70

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

Yay Barry!!

and LOLOLOLOL. Typo/fail on funimations part.
When Hughes is on the phone and it switches to Mustang, subtitles pop up and say "East city--"
Well for a brief second, it is in Japanese. I lawled. I even paused it (I have Dish) and kept it there and grabbed my brother. It's pretty funny. I'll try and take a crap cellphone picture and put it up.

Other than that. Solid episode was solid.
I'll discuss the dubs in the appropriate thread.

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Apr 3 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #71

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,737

Failure on Adult Swim/Funimation's part when they didn't show the after-credits sequence between Mustang and Hughes.

Other than that, fine episode.

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Apr 3 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #72

Alchemists

I totally forgot about that part.

It's actually Adult Swims fault.
They probably thought it wasn't important.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post Apr 3 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #73

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,555

I read on the Adult Swim board for this show that the English dub of this episode was leaked online a day early, and it included the after-credits scene. I guess that's more evidence that Funimation only shortens the credits and removes the commercial bumpers, then Adult Swim goes in and quickly fiddles with the ending to make it fit the allotted time better.

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Apr 3 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #74

Alchemists

It was leaked and we didn't know?
I'm surprised no one got on here and posted a link to the video.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post Apr 3 2010, 10:46 PM
Post #75

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,555

Yeah, that surprised me too. Supposedly it was accessed by typing in the right URL at video.adultswim.com, but I couldn't figure out where it was.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2016 - 06:15 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css