HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 6: Road Of Hope - Content Discussion Thread,, Warning! Possible Spoilers for the first 6 episodes!
Rating 5 V
montyalbo
post May 10 2009, 08:21 PM
Post #31

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,732

QUOTE (Vagrant @ May 10 2009, 10:28 PM) *
(but the fansubs on what I watched had Ed say "It's too hot!" when Armstrong went to embrace him. Eh?)

It's pretty hot if you ask me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd3bl9G4yow
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post May 10 2009, 09:06 PM
Post #32

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

While I enjoyed what the first series did by tying the Marcoh bit with the Scar attack, and giving the Risembool visit a punch with the watch bit from the Rush Valley arc (which I thought was boring, and am not looking forward to seeing), this episode did a fairly good job of handling the material in a pretty seemless fashion. It's not as good as how it was handled in the first series, but it was acceptable, even impressive given they used two chapters.

A few more thoughts:

- The town Marcoh is a doctor in is so beautiful!
- Alphonse was pretty quiet until towards the end when Ed was sleeping. I'd forgotten that he barely said anything in those chapters.
- I want the rest of that visit by Lust! I guess it isn't entirely necessary, though. I guess the next time we see Marcoh will be... when, when he's locked up?
- I'm not sure about this new Winry voice. I guess I'm just so used to the first one. It's not as though I care that much about Winry anyway, but she is still a pretty vital player to the lives of the brothers, so I'd like to be able to adjust to the new voice.
- The score still pales in comparison to Oshima's. Every bit of it pales.
- Is it just me, or does Armstrong seem EXTRA CREEPY in this series?

Wooh, Sheska is in the next episode! Too bad she's pretty much out of the story after all that. Somebody put some extra scenes with her in later!

Arakawa, show her again in the manga! I love Sheska and her Yumiko Readman-like personality.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post May 10 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #33

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

I couldn't even remember if Sheska was in the manga, to be honest. :\

And for the folk talking about Ed's schizophrenia; I think the problem solely lies in how much they exaggerated his "emoness" in the previous episode. Otherwise it about fits, I think.
Besides, him spending time with Winry and Pinako and having hope for a philospher's stone would be more than enough to bring him back to normal, surely.

Oh, and I'm sure this will piss a lot of people off but I would have rather they cut out the Ed peeking over Winry's shoulder scene and put more manga stuff in there. Hell, even just Ed talking to Al about how he hates "taking a break" would've been preferable to me.

QUOTE (montyalbo @ May 11 2009, 04:21 AM) *
(but the fansubs on what I watched had Ed say "It's too hot!" when Armstrong went to embrace him. Eh?)

I'm honestly too afraid to click that link. D:

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post May 10 2009, 09:26 PM
Post #34

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE (Vagrant @ May 11 2009, 12:19 AM) *

I already checked, and it's entirely safe. biggrin.gif
It's just a 30 sec loop vid of poor Ed being squeezed to death by Alex. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anakishi
post May 10 2009, 09:26 PM
Post #35

Citizen

Member No.: 67,896

Considering how boring this part of the story is, they did a decent job, the funny parts caught my attention. I still find the art beautiful, but now I'm starting to get pissed at how the characters (especially Ed) are portrayed sometimes. It seems they don't keep track of their proportions very well: in this episode, we have Ed's ultra-long hair in the pestering-Winry scene, and a little before that, when he wakes up, his eyes are almost as huge as Hawkeye's. Please, animators, try not to slack off too much...

I'm pretty sure next episode we will see a bit of the Marcoh-Lust confrontation. It may not look like it, but it's pretty relevant: Lust still has to make Marcoh spit off the location of the files to her. Not so sure they can just assume it all happened without confusing new viewers.

About Winry... well... never liked her, but I like this initial, ruthless appearance of her. (It's a shame it's not gonna last for long, though) Loved the new colors of her clothes; yes, women not always have to wear pink. And, is it just me, or does her new voice sound kind of familiar? I can't say for sure, but I kept hearing Kagami (from Lucky Star) every time she spoke. A little high, yes, but not so annoying, IMO.

--------------------
- Goodbye, FMA, please help me find the strength to move on and get stronger, too!! ^^
- If I don't answer your reply, it could be because:
1) I'm too busy to turn on my computer.
2) I got shy, and didn't come back to the discussion.
3) I hate you, and I'd rather ignore you.
4) Your point got me speechless, congratz!

+Quote Post
Full Metal Elf
post May 10 2009, 09:43 PM
Post #36

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 23,332

I thought this episode went just fine. I was sad they cut-out the short jokes with Ed and the military gang. sad.gif

I was also sad they cut-out the "I have a message from Roy..." part between Hughes and Ed sad.gif. That was the greatest! I'll have to watch the original episode for that I guess tongue.gif.

But, overall...it was good. Good timing, not too rushed or anything. I hope we see the rest of Lust and Marcoh in the next episode. I need to re-read the manga again and see how things flow from this point on.

--------------------

Proud member of the Anti-Shou movment....
Staff Member of M.S.A (Miniskirt Army)

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post May 10 2009, 09:53 PM
Post #37

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

You know what? I was watching the final episode of the first series again recently, and you know what I saw?

In the montage at the end, Winry was wearing a GREEN bandana when she's working with Domnic.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post May 10 2009, 09:53 PM
Post #38

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

QUOTE (Tombow @ May 11 2009, 05:26 AM) *
QUOTE (Vagrant @ May 11 2009, 12:19 AM) *

I already checked, and it's entirely safe. biggrin.gif
It's just a 30 sec loop vid of poor Ed being squeezed to death by Alex. laugh.gif
Oh god! Why does he seem to be thrusting?!

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post May 10 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #39

Citizen

Member No.: 44,714

I thought this was a pretty good episode - and the second half at Risembool was better than the first half with Dr. Marco. Armstrong, Pinako, and Winry were the stars of this ep. Winry is much cuter than she was in the first anime, especially after she hit Ed with the wrench and welcomed them home. I agree that this episode definitely had some precursor EdxWin moments. Heck, Ed even blushed, and he definitely acted differently around her.

I like some of the instrumental/choral themes, but I still think the music from the first anime was 5x better.

+Quote Post
AA battery
post May 11 2009, 12:02 AM
Post #40

Brigadier General

Member No.: 7,450

I meant to draw this a while ago but I was lazy. Since episode 6 had the right screencaps... well, why not use them? XD

--------------------
*June 11, 2013 - New Doujinshis Added*
Hi, I got a bunch of FMA merchandises (keychains, pencil boards, cards, figurines, book in figure red...etc) for sale at my LJ. Please visit my sale post here if interested! Thanks ^_^

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post May 11 2009, 12:51 AM
Post #41

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

LOL@AA battery. That's just priceless. xD

I honestly don't really have ANY complaints about this episode. I thought it was the best one yet! I think my only problem was not getting to see Lust attack Marcoh like in the manga, but as somebody stated above I'll bet we'll see it in the next episode. I really REALLY loved seeing Winry! She's so beautiful! And I loved the hints of EdxWin. <3 It was positively adorable. I loved how Ed kept peeking over her shoulder to see if the automail was finished and the scenes with Armstrong were definitely hilarious. I was pleased with the pacing. I didn't feel anything was too rushed and I'm glad they kept the Marcoh scene short as that part IS kinda boring in the manga. All in all, this episode was awesome. I loved Winry in it, as (besides Ed) she's my favorite character. So yeah, my two cents. tongue.gif

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
mira mirth
post May 11 2009, 02:24 AM
Post #42

Citizen

Member No.: 44,190

Um, a clarification of my earlier rant: I don't mean to say that Ed's emotions aren't legitimate. I don't think he's reacting wrongly to things, exactly, and I agree with Kirara and Vagrant when they said that it's all part of Ed's character. What bugs me is the *way* it's been portrayed and the *speed* with which Ed is going through all these emotions. It's not Ed's fault, per se, it's just the directorial decision to rush through these episodes, and hence have Ed act like a human pendulum with his emotional reactions. And the director *has* to rush through this, so it's not anything anyone can help. When the pace slows down, the problem is going to disappear, simply by virtue of Ed having more screen time to get over each situation.

And, Vagrant, I'm with you on the whole cutting out of Ed peeking over Winry's shoulder happy.gif but then, I'm not a fan of EdxWin, so I'm saying this is all purely sibling-y behaviour. Yes yes. None of that lovey-dovey stuff. Denial, I hear it's nice this time of year.

I'm very excited about the appearance of Plot in the next episode!

+Quote Post
N. Havoc J.
post May 11 2009, 10:11 AM
Post #43

Citizen

Member No.: 35,009

The mustached man was on the train. laugh.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Sword Alchemist
post May 11 2009, 11:19 AM
Post #44

Alchemists

Member No.: 17,591

Is it just me or did Winry look way too thin. She didn't look as skinny in the first series.

It was really touching when Al talked about how much he appreciated Pinako and Winry during he and Ed's last night in Risembool.

+Quote Post
Edamame
post May 11 2009, 02:09 PM
Post #45

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 38,530

Overall I found this a rather enjoyable and entertaining episode; nothing too deep nor philosophical here, but I still love how we as audience members, get to a see brief glimpse into the destructive nature of the Philosopher´s Stone. For viewers of this series who haven´t read the manga nor seen the first series, I think that the truth behind the stone is always the greatest shock. I am pleased that they kept Ed´s line: "I have already seen hell" in this episode because it conveys so much about what these two brothers have already been through and shall have to continue going through.
I thought that the return to Risembool was handled well, and I found the scene with Ed constantly peering over Winry´s shoulder and pestering her to be quite funny. I loved Paku Romi´s voice acting in that scene! After watching this episode, I have to say that I never really realized how much I like the character of Pinako Rockbell. Although she comes off as an old woman from a small town in the middle of nowhere, she has a strong personality and gruffness to her. Yet, the viewer can also tell that she has a strong love for her own granddaughter and both Ed and Al who she treats as her own grandsons. I do have to say that I was a little bummed that they cut out the brief flash-back to Ed and Al burning down their house, but I suppose that they may leave that until a latter episode.

I think my favorite part in this episode was at the very end when Ed is sleeping with his belly exposed and Pinako overhears Al chiding his elder brother. I love the line spoken by Pinako where she states that Al really is like Ed´s personal protector. I think that just that tiny little line tells so much about Al´s character in the manga. Unlike the previous series, I thoroughly enjoy how Al plays an active role as his brother´s constant protector. I also found it really sweet how Al thanked Pinako for taking both him and his brother in as members of her own family. Winry and Pinako are such important anchors in the lives of Ed and Al because they offer solace and home when none can be found.

Although some scenes from the manga were left out, it did not affect the episode as a whole. I actually felt that the episode flowed quite well from one scene to another.

Some things I didn´t like- I am not sure what to think of that one choral piece that played when Marcoh showed the brothers the incomplete Philosopher´s Stone. I always think "chanting" sounds so corny and over the top. I do have to say that the pieces so far are no where as memorable as the scores from the previous series. Man, I miss "Bratja".

- I also missed Marcoh "defending" himself against Lust.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th August 2016 - 06:43 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css