Reply to this topicStart new topic
Harry Potter=devil?
Naivete
post Oct 22 2007, 12:41 AM
Post #16

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,484

The fact that people take fiction seriously as a form of conversion make me want to inwardly cry. I can understand children believing such things for a bit, but honestly, children may be willing to believe anything but they take their parents more seriously than a few pages with text.

Common sense lesson for those who have grown out of the childhood days of believing in dreams:
Fiction = not reality. ohmy.gif

Sorry if I have gone slightly off topic. >.<"

--------------------

Destitute shrine maidens need no donation boxes.

Romantically Apocalyptic
It summons cancer.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Oct 22 2007, 09:29 AM
Post #17

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

In terms of Dumbledore is gay, it will add to Harry Potter being devil worhip for some....and everyone else won't care.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Oct 22 2007, 09:48 AM
Post #18

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

In terms of Dumbledore is gay, it will add to Harry Potter being devil worhip for some...

How will Dumbledore add to Devil worshipping accusations?
Homosexuality may be a sin but it's got nout to do with Devil worship where as unnatural magic does.

BTW, why is this in debate district? Shouldn't a debate have two side rather than everyone sitting about and agreeing?

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
GREEDisGOOD
post Oct 22 2007, 10:17 AM
Post #19

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,729

Yeah, well, I hoped that perhaps there might have been someone out there that disagreed with this book. Maybe they just haven't seen it yet.

Anyway, I've read dozens on these attacks on the books, and favorite stupid rant to read is their almighty trump: The books have witchcraft in them. My defense: So what? The books' focus aren't on the witchcraft and all that. That's just the setting. They could have been written in a real wrold setting, and Harry would have gone to a school to learn math and history, but damn, that would've been boring. If you've read the last book, you'll know that in the end, Harry doesn't even use magic to defeat Voldermort. First, he lets Voldemort kill him without defending himself, and when Voldemort finally dies, it was because of the Elder Wand. Harry didn't do anything magical.

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Oct 22 2007, 11:05 AM
Post #20

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Oct 22 2007, 05:48 PM) *
In terms of Dumbledore is gay, it will add to Harry Potter being devil worhip for some...

How will Dumbledore add to Devil worshipping accusations?
Homosexuality may be a sin but it's got nout to do with Devil worship where as unnatural magic does.

Some see homosexuality as evil, and what I meant was that, Harry Potter causes people to be evil (worshiping the devil etc) and to be something as disturbed as homosexual (not my personal opinions)

And yes it is debatable this book is evil, we just have yet to find someone who thinks so.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Tris the Reaper_*
post Oct 22 2007, 11:25 AM
Post #21

Guests

QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Oct 21 2007, 07:09 PM) *
Harry Potter is one of the most awful overrated piece of literature out there, but not the devil.

Agreed times a million.

I hate Harry Potter and fail to see why the entire world is so freaking enamored with it. However, it's definately not the devil. There's been witches and witchcraft in other works of literature, and in movies as well [Wizard of Oz, anyone? Good witches and bad witches? Sure it may not be as deep as HP, but the idea is still the same], but no one seems to care.

The fact that it's religious people and churches that make these accusations gets me the most. I'll go into a forum and see people think Christianity - and all in it - is retarded and bring up the HP book burnings, etc as a result. While I do not and will never deny my faith, it angers and saddens me that people from my own faith/belief system are doing this. Honestly, if books can persuade people to do things, then we're all screwed. I'll use the same excuse for people who kill and/or enact things from video games and later blaming the games -- if they're stupid enough to mix reality with fiction and blame the game, then they had mental issues to begin with.

Now, that's not to say reading HP can't enhance one's interest in the subject. It can. And that's fine. However, as I recall, Rowling once stated that she's never had anyone come up to her and go "I love your books, now I want to be a witch". Just because someone reads it doesn't mean they'll try to cast spells on everyone they see.

And it's like...I think it was Fushi that mentioned that whenever something is immensely popular with children, people are gonna freak out. Like Pokemon -- if kids were dumb enough to bring cards into class and play with them while the teacher was talking, then yes, they should have been restricted from them. But that doesn't mean all kids will go out and do the same thing.

And the Dumbeldore is gay thing...who the frick cares? Honestly now, the fact that people bother to make that one of their headlines in a newscast is sad. Very sad.

And now I'm done defending something I hate. Go me.

+Quote Post
TheRainbowConnec...
post Oct 22 2007, 08:22 PM
Post #22

Apprentice

Member No.: 45,133

Just one minor qualification. Books can get people to do things. They can incite great populations to action.

But such books must be: 1) grounded in reality, 2) be intending to persuade, and 3) be contextually relevant.

Mein Kampf and The Communist Manifesto triggered world-changing events. The Bible and other religious texts, too. Rachel Carson's Silent Spring put the environmentalist movement into action.

However, anyone reasonable can see that these books are in a wholly different category than Harry Potter.

Fiction and nonfiction, people. The average (and below-average) man can differentiate.

+Quote Post
Colette
post Oct 24 2007, 03:52 PM
Post #23

Brigadier General

Member No.: 27,366

QUOTE(Tris the Reaper @ Oct 22 2007, 11:25 AM) *
And the Dumbeldore is gay thing...who the frick cares? Honestly now, the fact that people bother to make that one of their headlines in a newscast is sad. Very sad.

"OH NO! I haven't made a headline in two whole weeks! I better announce that one of my characters was actually gay, yeah, that'll work."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tidusu
post Oct 24 2007, 03:59 PM
Post #24

Citizen

Member No.: 50,958

Yeah the headline thing is so stupid. It's like moo point, it doesn't count. As for the book, read them, seen the movies. Still like them and don't think it's "Evil." So GREEDisGOOD, I agree with you. Those people out there just needs to occupy themselves with something else.

Edite: I meant Moot point, not moo.

--------------------
I'm scared of people. *hides*

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Oct 24 2007, 04:16 PM
Post #25

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

Those people out there just needs to occupy themselves with something else.

QUOTE(Person who says HP is evil)
Why don't you occupy yourself with a book that isn't deemed evil by our centuries old tenants? We have just as much a right to criticise a book we have grounds for believing is evil as you do to read it.

Also, it's "moot point" not "moo point"

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
GREEDisGOOD
post Oct 29 2007, 02:28 PM
Post #26

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,729

QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Oct 24 2007, 03:52 PM) *
QUOTE(Tris the Reaper @ Oct 22 2007, 11:25 AM) *

"OH NO! I haven't made a headline in two whole weeks! I better announce that one of my characters was actually gay, yeah, that'll work."

I don't think her headline was a desperate grab for attention, but I do think it was uncalled for. I have no problem with Dumbledore actually being gay but the fact that there isn't a single textual example of this in the books, and that she only said it AFTER the books were finished (it couldn't affect her sales) is annoying. I have no problem with activism for a belief, but I don't like that she's changing the book's context for an agenda other than the story.

+Quote Post
Nzm
post Jul 16 2009, 04:55 AM
Post #27

Citizen

Member No.: 70,107

Harry Potter is not devil (actually, the deeper meaning of those books are very close to christianity) and magic is not the same as satanism. Also, if you find Rowling's book evil and blasphemous, what about FMA?

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Jul 16 2009, 06:52 AM
Post #28

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

yeah this pisses me off, my mum knows religious people who go on about this and is in constant conflict with another religious person who LOVES harry potter XD I belive she hasn't read the books either, it's ridculous, compare this with his dark materials trilogy that came out around the same time, its ridculous, those books are about killing god pretty much and questioning his existance, nothing like that is in harry potter, i mean fullmetal has more anit-christian stuff in it, i bet some people could conjore up some crap about the truth and the gate or something, but they don't because except amoung anime lovers, in England anyway, manga is not popular and no one knows of its existance...my point is, is that harry potter gets all this probably because its popular and so many people love it, and even if it did go against religion, its a FICTIONAL story, just because i read something doesn't mean i'll belive it sheesh

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nzm
post Jul 16 2009, 09:20 AM
Post #29

Citizen

Member No.: 70,107

In 'His Dark Materials', the agnostic worldview is promoted. The entity that gets killed is not God but something that calls itself a God. It's a big difference.

+Quote Post
Forgiven
post Sep 30 2009, 02:13 PM
Post #30

Alchemists

Member No.: 66,878

I am a Bible believing Christian and I'm a fan of Harry Potter. So far, I see nothing wrong with them. I mean, there still are some questionable things in there, but not enough for people calling the series "devil worshiping". At my old church, my pastor would always go on and on about how much Harry Potter is the devil himself blah, blah, blah, and my question was: "Well, did you ever read the books?" His response: "Well, as a christian, you should know what is right and what is wrong,..." and he basically went totally off of the question and made me feel like crap. People who sit there all day and say things like that are ignorant. They need to actually read the books before they can make a comment about them. Just how like I was with public high schools; I used to be against them, but now that I have experienced both sides of the fence (christian school, homeschooling, christian school again, then public high school) and I am very happy that I have had that experience, so now I can really start comparing the facts: High school, a place of learning, achievement, and morons who can't point out the US on a map of the US.

My point is, people who have never read the books or saw the movies needs to either read some reviews, ask someone who has read them, and or go to the library and skim though them. I can't stand it when people don't do there own research, just like my previous christian school principle and the pastor both sat me down and said I was going to go to hell for listening to classic rock (AC/DC, Led Zeppelin,Metallica, and so forth). (Apparently its the devils sex music.)

So my point is, people need to experience both sides of the fence before they can start talking. And no, Harry Potter is not the devil. There are far worst things out there that could be considered the devil than Harry Potter. Harry Potter would be considered Dora the explorer to them.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2016 - 08:14 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css