Reply to this topicStart new topic
Unnamed, Unfinished Story, A story that I'm writing while I'm bored
The Nature Alche...
post Jan 22 2005, 07:35 PM
Post #16

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,705

biggrin.gif Hi peoples. This is my next section. (Just so everyone knows, this is not in chapters.) Please read, enjoy, and most of all reply! laugh.gif

“Winry was caught in the fire next door.” Al finally explained.

“What?” I asked as I jumped back. “How could that be?”

“Mr. Hughes told us a few minutes ago. We suddenly remembered you when he mentioned her and Ed ran in to save you.” Al explained.

I looked at Ed. He seemed to be taking this pretty hard. I put my one hand on his shoulder and stared at the ground. I knew how he felt. Loosing a loved one was the hardest thing to bear. We had all known that Ed had favored Winry. He might’ve tried to hide it, but it was still obvious.

“I’m sorry, Ed.” I told him.

“Look, just leave me alone, ok?” He said as he pulled away from me and walked to the alley entrance.

“Winry wouldn’t want you to be alone.” I whispered as I walked up next to him.

I looked over at him and saw that he was holding back tears. I placed my hand on his shoulder and he looked up. He finally met my eyes, but quickly darted them back to the ground. I watched as he fell to his knees and his tears broke free.

“Why did it have to be Winry?” He cried. “Why her? She was the only death in that fire. Why couldn’t it have been someone else?”

“Brother,” Al stopped when I put my hand up.

“Ed, I know that it’s hard for you. If you don’t remember, I lost my mother because of a fire. The same fire almost took my life. I understand your pain. I can help you, but that’s only if you’ll allow me to.” I explained in a calm voice.

“No,” Ed gasped. “You don’t.”

“Yes, I do. Let me help you.”

I kneeled down next to him. I used my arm for support and tried to look at his face. He was doing a really good job of hiding it, so I just kneeled there and spoke into nothing.

“Winry would want you to talk about. I knew that she hated it when you didn’t speak your feelings. Please, talk to me Ed.”

He just turned away from me. He then stood and walked off. Al quickly followed him. There was suddenly the sound of someone running towards the alley. I looked around the corner and saw an officer running towards me.

“Are you Grace Predator, the Nature Alchemist?” He asked as he stopped and saluted.

“I am.” I answered as I struggled to stand back up and lost my balance.

I began to fall backwards, but someone caught me. They then lifted me onto my feet. Mustang moved from behind me to my side and saluted the officer.

“Why is she needed?” He asked.

“Lieutenant Colonel Hughes has asked for her to report to the injury station. She is said to have healing powers and we have many injuries that are deadly. Hughes wants her to come and try to heal the more serious cases.”

I looked over at Mustang. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He then looked from me to the officer. He then forced himself to nod. He didn’t want to overwork me. Especially after what happened when I healed him.

“Follow me.”

I followed the officer out of the alley and past the front of Central City HQ. We walked past the hot ashes of the burnt building and down another alley. This alley held a great number of people on stretchers. As I looked around I noticed that most of them had on blue uniforms.

“Lieutenant Colonel Hughes.” The officer said as he saluted when Hughes walked up to us.

Hughes nodded, a sign that he dismissed the officer. He then looked at me, stared long and hard at my missing arm, then turned. He began to walk down the narrow isle that had been created. I slowly followed. I looked form person to person, trying to soak in all of this.

We came to a stop in front of the stretcher at the end of the alley. A white sheet covered the body that lay there and I knew who it was. Why had he brought me to Winry’s body? I could heal, yes, but I could not bring someone back from the dead.

“What do you want me for, Hughes? I cannot bring Winry back from the dead, you know that.”

“I want you to look over her body. We don’t think that the fire killed her.”

“I can’t right now. I have to find someway to either get my own arm back or get an auto-mail arm. I received my first assignment and I’m leaving in about a day.”

“If you can figure out the true cause of Winry’s death,” Ed’s voice said from behind me. “I’ll use human alchemy to repair your arm.”

“Ed, you know that it is illegal.” Hughes said as he turned to look at Ed.

“I know, but I want to know what really killed Winry. If this girl is the only one available to do it,” He motioned to me. “I’ll pay her back no matter what the cost.”

Hughes sighed and walked away. Leaving me with Ed and Winry’s body.

“Are you sure that you don’t want to leave?” I asked him. “It’ll probably hurt worse if you see her body.”

“We have to figure out what killed her.” Ed declared.

I nodded and turned to the sheet. Ed might be able to handle it, but could I? I was squeamish and couldn’t stand the thought of blood or bodies. I removed the sheet and hated the sight that I saw under it.

Her body was charred in places, but her face was only dusty. She was lying on her back and, thankfully, her eyes were closed. I looked her from head to toe, noticing the scratches that her body had received.

The first thing that caught my eye was her neck. It was unusually puffy. There were a good many herbs that could cause that reaction in a living person, in a dead person there were ten. I needed to figure out when she had come in contact with whatever herb had done this. Had she been alive, or had it been applied after her death to throw off the observer?

I looked for signs that could tell me if she had been alive or dead. I then noticed that her chest was bulged out, like she had died and never let her breath out. If I really wanted to know why it was so, I would have to cut her open, and that was the last thing I wanted to do. Instead I thought harder. She had been alive when she had come in contact with the herb.

Her neck being swollen showed that her windpipe would be closed up. She wouldn’t have been able to let the air back out. She had suffocated, but I wanted to find out what herb had caused this. I wanted to know this more than anything else for the time being.

I removed her cloak and saw that a rash spread from her wrists to her shoulders. It would be on her hands and torso as well. I now knew what variety the herb was. I would find one more thing that would tell me exactly which plant it had been.

I felt at the bottom of her neck. There was no knot. I massaged her ankles. There wasn’t any sign of swelling. I rubbed her stomach. There. She had a hard lump near the top of her stomach. She had swallowed the herb know as death catch. No more than five minutes later, her windpipe began to swell. She could neither inhale, nor exhale. It had taken no more than ten minutes to kill her.

I looked back at Ed. He was staring at Winry’s body. His hand was slowly rising, as if to reach for Winry. Finally his eyes caught mine and he dropped his hand.

“You know what did it?” He asked.

I nodded, “Go get Hughes.”

I watched as he ran off. I then turned my attention back to Winry. I knew how to make the swelling and air in her lungs disappear. I hurried and pulled a small leaf out of my pocket. I laid it on her chest, then clapped my hand to the stretcher. Instead of touching her body, my hand hovered over the leaf.

It rose from her chest and flew the length of her neck and chest. When the leaf settled back on Winry’s chest the swelling began to go down like a popped balloon. I then cupped her hands and pulled the sheet back over her body.

“What was it, Predator?” I heard Hughes behind me.

“Some how she swallowed a herb. Death catch, if I’m right. It made her throat swell until she could breathe in or out.” I explained as I turned to face him.

“Good job. Elric, I believe you owe this kind girl something.”

“Uh,” Ed looked up at her. “Are you sure that you want me to do this? It could cost you your life.”

“I can handle that.”

Ed motioned to a stretcher behind him and laid on it. What would he use in exchange? I couldn’t imagine what would be of equal value to my arm. It wouldn’t be as costly as a human life, but it would still be a lot.

“No matter what, hold still.” Ed instructed.

I nodded and heard him push something against my stretcher. I ached to see what it was, but I knew that I had to listen. There was a muffled sound, but I ignored it. I heard Ed at the end of my stretcher. He clapped his hands together and-

“Ed, what are you doing!?” It was Al.

I sat up and looked at my side. He had a transmutation circle around a body and me. Winry’s body. I watched in horror as Ed’s hands flew towards the circle’s edge.

“Ed, no!” I yelled too late.

--------------------
user posted image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hex-Sama
post Jan 22 2005, 09:30 PM
Post #17

Alchemists

Member No.: 2,084

@Hex-Sama: My made up character isn't me. I made her up all on my own. She's nothing like me, except maybe how she looks, but that's all.

@The Nature Alchemist:Sorry, I didn't mean to make you upset. I really do like your story. Nice cliff-hanger at the end of your last chapter. I feel so sorry for Winry though sad.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Nature Alche...
post Jan 22 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #18

Citizen

@Hex-Sama: I'm not upset, I was just letting you know. I like how you liked the cliff hanger. I thought I would get some compliments on that. laugh.gif Keep replying people.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
The Nature Alche...
post Jan 26 2005, 01:29 PM
Post #19

Citizen

My new section will be up shortly. I'm fixing up the next section right now. biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
dragonofchaos
post Jan 26 2005, 02:01 PM
Post #20

Apprentice

Member No.: 5,719

yeah the cliff hanger is nice but it is sad that winnery died then the fire started

--------------------
enter my sactuary and learn true knouledge
big bro to celestial fangirl, mike, Slashrose1010, Alchemist X, kaji renkinjutsu, fresh coffee, ~.:Anime_Gal:.~, and ~FMAgurl~
[RAWRs- Rabid, very dedicated fangirls/fanboys that hang around the pandect forum that are vicious, and bite, and one of them is trained in the use of sharp medical implements. they control the pandect poll and each one seems to treat one of the pandect charactars like their young and their god at the same time]

+Quote Post
The Nature Alche...
post Jan 27 2005, 07:12 PM
Post #21

Citizen

smile.gif New post is up! Read, reply, enjoy! smile.gif

I sat up and looked at my side. He had a transmutation circle around a body and me. Winry’s body. I watched in horror as Ed’s hands flew towards the circle’s edge.

“Ed, no!” I yelled too late.

Winry’s body disappeared beside me and I felt pain coming from my left shoulder. I shut my eyes, fell back to the stretcher, and cried out in pain. It was unbearable. It felt like somebody was pulling me. Clawing at me, I could’ve sworn that my shoulder was bleeding. I heard footsteps. People running down the alley towards me.

“Predator!” Mustang’s voice.

Another jolt of pain. I screamed, this time louder than the first. I felt something rub against my shoulder bone. More pain followed by another scream. The light disappeared and I automatically reached over towards my left shoulder with my right hand. My hand landed on my deltoid, Ed had done it! I had my arm back.

“Elric, what were you thinking!?” Mustang was yelling. “You could’ve killed her!”

“Get off me!” Ed yelled back and I heard the sound of him pulling away from Mustang.

“Predator.” Mustang’s voice was calm now.

I heard him walk to my side. Felt his arms under me as he lifted me from the stretcher. His arms tightened around me and he held me firmly against his chest. His heartbeat was fast. He had been worried, he still was. My breathing was so shallow that you couldn’t tell that I was breathing at all and I had yet to reopen my eyes. For all he knew I was dead.

“She’s alive, Mustang. I didn’t kill her.” Ed’s voice was harsh. “Come on, Al.”

“Elric!” Hawkeye’s voice. “You aren’t going anywhere. You used human alchemy, it’s illegal.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” Ed’s voice was a whisper, but I could still hear him.

“Hawkeye, stand down.” Mustang. “We are going to forget this. Predator was worth him breaking the law.”

“Mustang,” Hawkeye couldn’t believe what he was saying. “You can’t let him get away with this just because he gave the woman you love her arm back. He could’ve very well killed her, we don’t know that he hasn’t yet, and you’re going to let him go?”

“You heard me Lieutenant.” Mustang’s voice was stern.

“Yes, Colonel.”

I felt Mustang’s hand brush my bangs away from my face. He then placed his hand on my chest. It stayed there for a good five minutes until he pulled it away. He didn’t know that I was alive. He couldn’t tell. My throat was so sore that I couldn’t speak, and my body was weak from the transmutation. I could only lay there and hope that he found out.

My leaf. It suddenly hit me. I could use my leaf to let him know that I was alive. My hands were lying on my chest, close enough that I could make them touch without using much energy. My favorite leaf hung on a chain around my neck. The leaf itself rested at the top of my sternum, on the outside of my shirt.

I allowed my hands to fall into each other, it was so little movement that it went unnoticed. I then scooted them apart to form just the tiniest gap. I felt the leaf lift from my neck. The chain began to tug and I knew that the leaf was hovering.

“Mustang, look.” It was Al who spoke.

“Predator, stop wasting your energy. We know that you’re alive now.” Mustang’s voice was harsh, but that was only because he was worried.

I scooted my hands a little farther apart and the leaf settled back on my chest. I felt Mustang’s muscles moving around me. He was walking. I didn’t know where, but I guessed. He must’ve been heading back the Central City HQ. He would probably make me go back to bed.

I heard the others fall in step behind us. Heard the sound of the wounded people around us. I couldn’t just let Mustang carry me off. If I didn’t do something many people would die. I wouldn’t feel right if I allowed that to happen. I struggled to find stored energy and found it.

“Mustang,” My throat was sore, but I had to do this. “Put me down. I need to heal these people. It’s my job and I don’t want to be carried off safe while most of them die.”

“Predator…” I cut him.

“Don’t Predator me, Mustang. I couldn’t live with myself if I allowed you to take me away and left them here to die.”

“Fine.” Mustang agreed against his will.

He placed me on my feet and held onto my shoulder until I had gained my balance. He then stood there and watched me as I walked up to the first man. He was from HQ. A Lieutenant according to his strips. He a huge gash on his right side and a cut above his left eye. He was kept turning his head from side to side, complaining the whole time that his head was killing him.

“Lieutenant, could you stop moving for me, please?” I asked as I fingered his gash.
He stopped moving and looked at me, “My name is Rotwave. Can you help me Miss-?”

“I’m Predator, just Predator.” I explained as I sprinkled a crushed leaf over his gash. “Rotwave's your last name? What’s your first?”

“James.”

“Ok, James. This might hurt a little, but don’t move.”

“What you gonna do?” He asked.

“Just watch.”

I waited a few minutes until blood covered the leaf pieces. I then clapped my hands together and stared at the gash. Finally I saw my leaf pieces light up and I placed my hands on wither side of the wound. James watched in astonishment as the wound closed itself up and my leaves fell to the stretcher, now as emerald stones.

“Is that any better?”

“H-how’d you d-do t-that?” He was shaking.

“It’s alchemy. I’m a state alchemist. Now,” I placed a finger on the cut above his eye. “Can I look at this?”

He nodded his head and I fingered the cut. It wasn’t as bad as his side, I didn’t need to heal it. One of the doctors could take care of him now. I reached down to my side for my notepad and pen and found that they were missing.

“Mustang, uh-“ I stopped when he handed my belongings to me.

“I thought that I might need to keep them for you.”

“Thanks.” I turned my attention to the pad and wrote down my recommendations. I then ripped it off and handed it to James. “Ok, stay here. A doctor should be coming by eventually. Gives this to him.”

“What is it?”

“Your eye isn’t bad enough for me to waste my energy on it. This tells the doctor to stitch it up. Also,” I pulled out an inch long bag with a broken up leaf in it. “Mix this with some rice or tea. It will help your headache.”

He nodded and I looked around. There was a man whose leg was a black as coal. I knew that he would have to loose the leg, but also knew that he was in a lot of pain. I couldn’t get rid of the leg, but I could help the pain.

“What’s your name, sir?” I asked as I walked up to him and looked over the leg. He would loose from the knee down.

“My name is Joe Carlson. Can you help me?”

“Are you in pain?” I asked as I felt his knee.

“A little. I can’t really feel below my knee.”

I picked up my pen and wrote out another recommendation. This was for lower leg removal. I knew that he was in more than a little pain and scooped out a custom-made capsule. It had a good number of herbs in it, but it would help without having any side effects.

“Give this to the doctor when he comes and take this now.”

“Yes ’um.”

Suddenly a man came running down the alley towards me. He stopped a foot away from me and bent, placing his hands on his knees to catch his breath. I noticed a white envelope in his hands.

“A-are,” You spoke between breaths. “You the N-nature Alchemist?”

“I am.” Why was everyone needing on this particular day?

“This is from HQ.” He handed me the envelope.

I opened it and threw it to the ground after reading it. I then ran down the alley back to Central City HQ. I had to get my stuff, and now! The boat had arrived early and they weren’t waiting! If I didn’t make this assignment, then I was going to be decommissioned!

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Hex-Sama
post Jan 27 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #22

Alchemists

Member No.: 2,084

@The Nature Alchemist: Edward is a genius laugh.gif ! He always gets away with everthing too biggrin.gif .

*in the moviephone guy voice* Will Predator make it in time? Find out next chapter!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryuu
post Jan 28 2005, 02:14 AM
Post #23

Citizen

Member No.: 4,890

Sigh, I would write, because I love writing. But they would be in Finnish, so you can't read them. sleep.gif Except you can read Finnish.

--------------------

If you have attempted alchemy by clapping your hands or drawing an array, copy and paste this to your signature.

+Quote Post
The Nature Alche...
post Jan 28 2005, 02:35 PM
Post #24

Citizen

QUOTE(Hex-Sama @ Jan 28 2005, 12:05 AM)
@The Nature Alchemist: Edward is a genius laugh.gif ! He always gets away with everthing too biggrin.gif .

*in the moviephone guy voice* Will Predator make it in time? Find out next chapter!
[snapback]99736[/snapback]

lol. I guess I kinda am making this sound like a t.v. show aren't I? I get the next section up as soon as possible, but I have about 5 other stories that I'm working on and a novel that I gotta finish off so I can send it off to get published, so it might take some time.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
dragonofchaos
post Jan 28 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #25

Apprentice

Member No.: 5,719

yeah another dliff hanger

--------------------
enter my sactuary and learn true knouledge
big bro to celestial fangirl, mike, Slashrose1010, Alchemist X, kaji renkinjutsu, fresh coffee, ~.:Anime_Gal:.~, and ~FMAgurl~
[RAWRs- Rabid, very dedicated fangirls/fanboys that hang around the pandect forum that are vicious, and bite, and one of them is trained in the use of sharp medical implements. they control the pandect poll and each one seems to treat one of the pandect charactars like their young and their god at the same time]

+Quote Post
The Nature Alche...
post Jan 28 2005, 06:58 PM
Post #26

Citizen

laugh.gif lol. dry.gif how supportive. unsure.gif I was hurrying and didn't know what else to do. biggrin.gif Thanks for replying, though.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2016 - 06:38 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css