HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 51: Army Of Immortals - Content Discussion Thread, Warning, possible spoilers for the first 51 episodes
Kaori Ayanami
post Apr 4 2010, 04:17 PM
Post #16

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 70,575

I may be wrong, but the "monkey thing" is serious stuff in Asia, isn't it?
But even for a Japanese, it would be ruined by that girly "Fullmetal Alchemist" voice.

QUOTE ("Vlyse")
Did anyone else think of Gluttony from CoS when Envy was eating the zombies?

Indeed. (While watching that, I thought it's very strange he didn't just eat May too). But I found something stranger: when Olivier was walking with that higher-up, the music and pace of the steps made it seem like a dance of sorts. o_0

Envy's "method" of revival was totally un-canon.

Al & Heinkel's flight and dialogue seemed way too slow compared to the manga... Can somebody tell me WHY couldn't Kimbley and Pride find them (or randomly attack them, at least)? But epic, nevertheless.

Can't wait to see Olivier worried about her brother.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Apr 4 2010, 04:59 PM
Post #17

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

When Envy was flying up in the air in his jar and was caught by one of the soldiers. I thought.. wait now.. that's not how the manga did it. And then the soldier ate Envy. I turned to my brother and said, "Dude, bones changed it, and they're making it epic." Sure enough, it was awesome. Mei kicking the crap out of the soldiers was highly amusing.

I think everything about this episode was pure win.

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
Irena
post Apr 4 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #18

Apprentice

Member No.: 69,592

Am I the only one who thought that the "Fullmetal alchemist" guy sounded kinda like Vic Mignogna for that first eyecatch? It was kinda creepy. .____.

This was a good episode; Mei and the zombies looked really cool, and I love Envy's crazy laugh.

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post Apr 4 2010, 10:41 PM
Post #19

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,555

He's said it in that cutesy voice before, but I don't remember him doing a cutesy laugh first! And, does that mean the announcer thinks the mannequin soldiers are cute? Now I'm weirded out too...

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Apr 5 2010, 12:00 AM
Post #20

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

He finds them cute because his inflatable doll companion probably looks like the immortal soldiers.

The announcer MUST be single and lonely. All the fandom wants him dead. I can't imagine he has friends.

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Apr 5 2010, 12:53 AM
Post #21

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

Okay everyone, we're heading off topic, much as we loath FMA man we don't need another discussion/rant about him clogging up the episode discussion. Thank-you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kasumisty
post Apr 5 2010, 04:57 AM
Post #22

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 59,111

I liked it very much.

-I love the new OP and the song from the ED as I said in another threads, they really put me in "this is the end" mood,
-Zombie soldiers are reaally freaky. I cringed when they were eating parts of that general and were all smudged in blood,
-Loled at Ed trying to open that doors, ("Oh, they op....ened?")
-The art seemed very unstable, though. It was breathtaking at some moments and veery bad at the others,
-I seriously adore music in this episode,
-Wow, the pancake-general. Shudder, shudder,
-Very well animated Mei vs Zombies fight. Envy really seemed to enjoy it. And he reminded me of first series Gluttony at some point, as well,
-Yoki finally doing something positive \o/,
-Olivier <3, (and no further comment needed),
-"SISTA~ ARE YOU AWRIGHT" rulez,
-Alphonse was epic in this one. About time.
-And Heinkel said one of my favorite lines there,
-And when I'm writing this post, my VLC Player crashes from time to time...

It was very enjoyable episode. I'm glad they're trying to make them all good when the end is coming nigh.

My english seems to go downhill lately. I think I'm getting lazy

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post
Ropespinner
post Apr 5 2010, 06:14 AM
Post #23

Apprentice

Member No.: 46,466

@Kasumisty:
I agree about the unstable animation quality. The characters' faces especially really bothered me in some parts of the episode.

The part with Mei pwning about ten zombies in about five seconds looked quite sweet.

I was a bit annoyed by the pacing of the scenes where Kimbley arrived, blew a hole into the dome, Al tried to get Heinkel to safety, et cetera. It seemed like at some point, pretty much everyone was just standing there doing nothing - Al when Pride walked out of the dome, Pride and Kimbley after Al created that dust cloud... Things should have happened a bit more quickly, I think. Additionally, Al and Heinkel should have been talking less loudly when they were hiding in the dust cloud. Shouting kinda debunks the idea of hiding out of sight.

(Edit - typo)

--------------------
I'm Sallykie on LJ and most other forums, Seita on ZOMGFTA Forums.

+Quote Post
EveningAlchemist
post Apr 5 2010, 11:24 AM
Post #24

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,198

There was a lot of shudder worthy violence in this one, huh? Yet at the same time it makes you giggle... like the white zombies, and the "pancake general". mellow.gif

Totally loved it when Buccaneer jumped on to the car and looked down on the Central soldiers! "A bear with a mohawk!" I'm sorry, but the Brigg's gang beats Mustang's when it comes to bad-assery. And Alex Louis Armstrong wants to join the bad-arse club.

Awesome Al eyecatch was awesome! And then awesome Alphonse was awesome! *fan-girl swoon* I love, love, love the tune that was playing when Heinkel was showing him the philospher's stone!

Envy has to be the grossest homunculus out there. Yep, he was like CoS gluttony, except I think Envy is a bit more gruesome... Bones has really outdone themselves!

All these episodes and the ones to come feel like one big, epic, feature-length film! I'm loving every minute of it! girl_in_love.gif

--------------------

If you have attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an
array, copy and paste this in your signature.

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Apr 5 2010, 01:34 PM
Post #25

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

I liked this episode!

The zombie-doll things were just damn freaky; especially after they went for the soldier's throat then whole body, then they turned round freakin' Resident Evil zombie style. xD

Olivier was also very awesome! It made me jump when her hostage got squished. oO xD;;

I like how psychotic Envy is. xD

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fawfulhasfury
post Apr 5 2010, 03:24 PM
Post #26

Citizen

Member No.: 31,483

Envy's method of revival is canon in the manga. It's from Chapter 91, pages 16 - 21. And technically, since those zombies are also homunculus, this makes Envy a cannibal like Pride.

I liked the episode, but I didn't like that one scene where everyone was running slow-mo at the zombies. It didn't look right. Other than that, great episode.

+Quote Post
Ant
post Apr 5 2010, 03:41 PM
Post #27

Citizen

Member No.: 35,470

On first viewing, this episode has just blown me away. Epic. Just epic.

Pretty much every scene had something epic/amazing happen...was really really impressed by the Mei part though. Amazing little mini-fight!

I don't really see how they can fit everything else into 3 episodes though. Would want one more ep, in my mind's eye, in order to ensure everything isn't rushed.

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Apr 5 2010, 04:23 PM
Post #28

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

Now I really did like 49, but this is by far one of the best episodes in quite a while. It just had some very good direction. It adapted the happenings of the manga very nicely, rearranging placement of some scenes to make it better. And it had a lot of GREAT music, several tracks of which have not previosuly been heard. The sound direction was also suberb; the tracks started just at the right time, and overlapped transitions between scenes very nicely. Even the old tracks were very nice hearing again, it's been awhile since you last heard them (even "that" track was good hearing). Animation looked a bit weird at times but was for the most part really good.

(As expected, the subtitles lowered the impression a bit, there were some half-lame lines here and there that didn't quite seem to fit the mood that I'd built up from the first view. But never mind. It was my own fault for watching the raw first.)

My favourite scenes:

- I sooo love the zombies. I don't care if they're a "plot staller" for Ed and co, they're awesome. At least here in the anime, when "come alive". I love the creepy and disturbing scene in the laboratory, where they devour that officer, and later on the terrified scientist. It DID feel very Resident Evily biggrin.gif The blood, the screams, the freakeyness <33 The dramatic music didn't exactly make it worse, either. Could always have been gorier though >:D

- I adore the Oliver scenes in tnis episode. The music piece that plays when she first makes entrance is glorious. Starts out very intense and sorta melodramatic, then the strings turn a little creepy. Love it.

Sloth makes an appearance and reduces Olivier's gutsy hostage to a blood stain on the floor. And I was shocked, is that some of his squashed organs sticking up amongst the rubble? Or was that supposed to be a hand?

The subsequent fight against Sloth is nice, albeit some weird animation on Olivier's part at times. I like the way Alex comes to the rescue. Seriously, the music in this episode is fantastic.

- Ed and friends fighting off hordes of hungry dolls is pretty good. Lemme say first that the initial shot of Ed staring intently at the doors must be the sexiest one of him so far in the series. Yes, I just said that. Ed, sexy. Ahem. Moving on. The following scenes were really intense. Ed sealing themselves up in the hall together with the hundreds of zombies, along with the DOOM music playing (which is really effective here, and it hasn't been used in a while I think), gave me goosebumps. It really felt as he was sealing their own fates down there. Yikes. I was a little suprised by the evidently green blood of the zombies though, looked sorta weird.

- Envy. This part was so much more awesome than it was in the manga. Mei pwning the zombies was funny and cool at the same time, among the creepiness of it all. Envy getting eaten by a zombie was a welcome addition by BONES. I just imagined how scary it'd be for Mei, with her only companion down there seemingly getting killed, leaving her all alone with those things. But then. Epic, crazy shít happens (and Mei would have been screwed unless it had). I love that they use "Envy revealed" (or a remixed version of it) while this goes down. And I must say, Envy's VA really performed well here, and the animation was great. I love his deranged laughter and the faces he make. (Only complaint would be that Envy's true form is way too clean, it's not slimy and nasty enough. But that's just the design Brotherhood has gone with, and not in any way related to this particular scene.)

- And finally, we have Alphonse and his epic moment of epicness. It was great. Al had some really cool shots of him where the animation was just excellent, and Heinkel didn't look too bad in the close-ups either. I love the music that's playing here, the intrumental version of the "Ishbal-Marcoh-Philospher Stone" track. And the ending kicking in was just pure win, when Al steps out of the cloud. I am SO glad that they changed OP ad ED for this, Shunkan Sentimental would have been nowhere near as good as this.

(Wow, this was a pretty huge post tongue.gif)

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
Mr. Deathy
post Apr 5 2010, 04:41 PM
Post #29

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,164

Very good episode. Great direction all around, lots of new music, some great animation, good re-arrangement of manga scenes to better fit animated form.

Random comment on the episode: I'm thinking that music track that plays during Envy's regeneration might be composed for/used in the Mustang vs Envy fight. I can totally picture that playing as Mustang is walking down corridors torching the Envy whenever he sees him.

I know it is another version of "Envy revealed" from the 2nd OST though so I guess it probably was arranged for this ep.

+Quote Post
sidekick.kep37
post Apr 5 2010, 05:16 PM
Post #30

Alchemists

From: The lair where the Sidekicks hang on their down time
Member No.: 67,873

@Ant: "Everything else into 3 episodes?" Don't you mean, like, everything else in 12 episodes?

MY THOUGHTS
-The OP is amazing. Like someone else said, I'm not much for slow OPs, mostly because maybe the animators don't do it right, but in this case, it was amazing. This has got to be one of my favorite OPs for sure.
-I think that general guy was stupid. If you're gonna have a guy do your dirty work, at least listen to him.
-The zombies piling on him made me lol. I actually thought it would be more... gory- but hey, what can you expect. It is FMA after all.
-Now when the zombie bit his foot, I lol'd like crazy.
-I felt bad for the poor scientist guy. He could've been like Marcoh- dragged against his will- for all we know.
-Ed's face looked weird... granted it was while opening the door and comedy and whatever... but it just looked funny.
-High-five Olivier! But that guy had some serious balls, saying what he did. But I think it went too slow. Olivier could've sliced his tongue off and the rate he was talking.
- Oh hai, Sloth. "So annoying" Yes, Sloth, I know you're annoying.
-Zombie-fight was cool... but most of them were just standing around doing nothing. It could've been a billion times more chaotic, but there has to be some kind of peace for Ed to think and use deductive reasoning, right?
- I wish I was a random civilian living in Amestris right now. Sounds like fun.
- Slow-mo zombie rush looked retarded.
- "A BEAR WITH A MOHAWK!!!!" biggrin.gif
- I thought Ross was Mustang for a sec. Roy does look a bit baby-faced though. But I appreciate the effort, BONES.
- Selim is such a smart little boy bad-arse homunculus. Wait, he turned into a kid again. Nice vocals.
- The announcer guy made me WTFLOL.
- I am not a Mei fan, but this part was awesome. Lolz, at Envy in the jar. But Mei totally delivered seriously when she quick-sparred those zombies. That was awesome. Leftover Easter chocolates to the animators!
- That zombie ate Envy and glass- which actually grossed me out the most.
-Wait... Envy just went CoS Gluttony on those other zombies- I agree. But it was so awesome. Whoever did this scene is amazing. Nice music to go with it too. Put the terror together... Oh... more terror. Because Envy evil-laughed.
- Al just sits there as his head is thrown at him. How productive.
- Go Olivier! ... Wait, why are you shooting him?
- I lol'd at Alex's entrance. It was amazing. And whoever subbed it did hilarious... unless the VAs were able to voice-act it that way. "SISTA~! ARE YOU AWRITE?!" indeed. Aahahaha.
- Kimblee and Pride... what are you waiting for? Get him! It's like everyone's being lazy this ep except for a few good characters.
-Heinkel, you're such a good chimera.
-Pride's WTF face followed by the quick transition to his scowl also made me lol.
-Loved the "superb" line delivered by Kimblee.
-ED... not great, but not awesome. I'm just an anti-still person altogether...

Alright ep. Great in some places... lacking in others. Can't wait for the next one.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2016 - 01:10 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css