HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA: Brotherhood English Dub Dvd (north American Version) Info & Discussion, Info on first post. Updated with pics & info 17/8/11
deet-tastic
post May 20 2010, 11:11 PM
Post #31

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 72,768

^ lul thanks biggrin.gif

(I went ahead and read the whole article, I didn't know that bit about Princess Mononoke)

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rzerox21xx
post May 21 2010, 02:49 PM
Post #32

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,867

DAMNIT, WHY

I dont know what to think. I just read some review on the bluray version and several say something bad about the video qaulity

amazon reviewer

Wow Funi there are real blue-rays of this show in japan, how did you guys drop the ball so hard? Look I understand you want this show, I want it too... so bad that I bought it even and its fuzzy and has artifacts all over the video. The first BD has 9 episodes, the second has four... you should buy the japanese disks if you want it in real nice HD, or better yet torrent it, Funi should not get your money for this one kids.

then again from here
http://www.animemaki.net/2010/05/dvd-revie...herhood-part-1/

"The video for Brotherhood is in a single word disappointing. Brotherhood is 1080p with the AVC codec at 14429 kbps (average bitrate of the first episode.) Despite being brand new and a name franchise, Brotherhood has a very disappointing Blu-ray. Lines are often pixelated and choppy, and the video overall has a very fuzzy and murky feel to it. Colors at times also appear fuzzy and not clean. Im not sure how this happened (whether Funimation did something to their masters or if they were given sub-par masters) or if the Japanese Blu-ray looked similar, but this was just a disappointment.

Its possible Im expecting to much and expanding on minor flaws, but I dont think so. The video isnt unwatchable but it is far below what we expect from a series that began to air in 2009.

Edit- It has since been confirmed via screenshots of the Japanese Blu-ray that all the problems here are also on that Blu-ray."

What you guys think, you think I'm making a big deal of it especially from the above statement that the japanese blueray is like that too? I tried to change the order to dvd on rightstuf but it already shiped along with my dragonbox part 3

edit = okay, this maybe chaning my mind

http://www.mania.com/fullmetal-alchemist-b...cle_120678.html

"Video:
Originally airing in 2009, the transfer for this HD native TV series is presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.78:1 in 1080p using the AVC codec. The show is spread across two discs in a nine/four format with the first disc being dual layered. I've read comments by some that have seen this disc and they tend to be very disappointed in the release. After watching this via streaming and comparing it to the DVD, I came away very pleased by it. The vibrancy of the animation shines through beautifully here as the colors are rich and generally free of gradients outside of a couple of scenes that almost look intentional. Backgrounds and character animation is solid with no visible noise and just a layer of natural high definition grain that's very minimal overall. By all appearances and comparisons, this release looks identical to the Japanese Blu-ray release outside of being slightly brighter which is a common occurrence."

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post May 22 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #33

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

I wish I could have gotten the DVD early. D: And I agree with those that said it would have been better to go up to episode 14.

I think it was on this thread that someone mentioned that the commentary said that Brotherhood is darker- you'd actually be surpised by the amount of people that think that. My brother and sister have both watched the first series and Brotherhood, (but they don't read manga) and when I asked they both said that they believe brotherhood is darker. I have to agree with them, because I think both series are dark in different ways; although, often I believe that with the first series people misinterpret "darkness" with good old "drama."

--------------------

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post May 22 2010, 03:53 PM
Post #34

Alchemists

^ yeah. I wouldn't say the first series was "darker" but I'd say it did have a bit more.. angsty drama. Both series def. have their dark moments though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rzerox21xx
post May 25 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #35

Alchemists

Got the bluray in the mial today, finished watching the first 2 episodes, well the first episode, I watched it with the commentary, the picture seem crisp and clear and I didn't notice anything wrong. Then again, I'm watching it in my regular Tv that is not made for HD or watching bluray but I brought it because in the future I will get TV taht does. However, is the type of tv affects the subtitle placement because the subtitles are shown in the screen but the colors sometimes make it hard to see.

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post May 25 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #36

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,555

I'm curious, so a quick question for those of you who watched to the end of the second episode on the English DVD: Did the Fuhrer walking away from the alchemy exam look more like this...

or more like this...

or like something else instead?

+Quote Post
Vlyse
post May 25 2010, 07:28 PM
Post #37

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,791

It looked like the first one, with the Funimation watermark.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post May 25 2010, 09:03 PM
Post #38

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,555

Oh, okay. Is anything else onscreen translated into English besides credits and title cards?

+Quote Post
rzerox21xx
post May 27 2010, 07:46 PM
Post #39

Alchemists

Kale Mustang, or anyone that owned the bluray, I still having trouble with the subtitles. The problem is that when there whiteness or bright, I can barely read them and its annoying. However I wonder if there anyway to change that snice there gotta be because I have not seen any online complaints about it or people making this a big deal so I guess the subtitles coloring can change or something.

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post May 27 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #40

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

I just got my Blu-Ray in the mail today, and the packaging is so gorgeous and I love the postcards, even if I can't see ever using them. I'm really excited to watch it.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Jen_Elric
post May 28 2010, 05:05 PM
Post #41

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 9,551

jeeez. with all the trouble people seem to be having with the blu-ray dics, I'm happy that I got DVD's instead. Of course, I don't have a blu-ray player, but still.
But now I'm a little worried that the DVD's will have problems too. Did anyone get the DVD's and how are they playing?

--------------------

Phyco-girl made my siggy! She's so cool! ^_^
My Family! (Wanna join the Elric family? Please PM me and I'll add you to the family list!)
Little Sisters: ~.:Anime Gal:.~, ~FMAgurl~, Kit, Azura Elric, chocolate_eds_everywhere, Kakashi's#1 girlfriend, FullMetalAlchemist01FAN, Kal Rommel
Brothers:~Envy~, Mustang's apprentice, niagra flame, Jamal Mana alchemist, bloodlust alchemist

+Quote Post
His Name is Unkn...
post May 28 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #42

Apprentice

Member No.: 40,795

Bought the dvd set on Saturday! laugh.gif

I've watched through the whole set twice, once in English and once in Japanese with subtitles, along with the two commentaries for episodes 1 and 10...what I'm trying to say is, I've seen it all. Thusfar, I'm happy to report no issues with the dvds.

The picture is crisp and clear, with noticeably more vivid colors than when I viewed the show on adult swim and the funimation website. Subtitles are accurate, with no glitching or inconsistencies.

I actually bought the dvds because I was too impatient to wait for the bluray to arrive on tuesday, but all things considered, it looks like my impatience was a virtue. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Vlyse
post May 28 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #43

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,791

Part 2: Episodes 14-26

I saw this on a Youtube video, so I don't know how legit this is. I left a comment asking for a source, but no reply yet. Anyway, it's still one of the most sensible cover to use out of all the ones that cover 14-26. I'd personally prefer Vol 7's, though, with Ed poking his finger through the Gate.

--------------------

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post May 28 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #44

Alchemists

^ nice find. I guess we'll have to wait and see how legit it is.
I love both vol 6 and 7 covers. If it is real, I knew they'd use one or the other.

--------------------

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post May 28 2010, 11:54 PM
Post #45

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

Aw man, that cover is awesome. And I thought the first volume's cover was beautiful.

So I was watching some of the first volume and I noticed that the subtitles won't turn off in the Japanese language setting. I also noticed that the subtitles themselves can be difficult to read at times, because they're so thin and weak. They need strong outlining. What's the point of having subtitles if you can barely read them? I shouldn't have to suffer because I prefer the original language track.

I checked out the English dub commentaries for episodes 1 & 2, and they were what I expected, the English VAs sort of talking out of their asses, being obnoxious. But they have a certain charm to them, if you're a masochist.

The video looks so damn amazing, though.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2016 - 02:34 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css