Automail Really Can Work!
Rating 4 V
Automne
post Jul 30 2006, 07:58 AM
Post #31

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,171

...That reminds me of an article called 'When fangirlism goes wrong'...

--------------------

mspaint_lolz on livejournal

'Buffy and Angel had gone out before and Buffy wasn't really comfortable talking to Spike and Angel at the same time, because now Spike and Buffy had been going out for 6 months and Buffy was afraid that Angel might tell Spike that him and Buffy went out, but it turns out that Angel had told Spike that they went out, Spike was heartbroken that Buffy never told him that they went out, so Spike broke up with Buffy to get back at her for not telling him that Angel and Buffy went out.'

-NOT MINE

TEH BESTEST (AND MOST FRENCH) ROMANCE EVAR
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Jul 30 2006, 08:11 AM
Post #32

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

Seriously. No matter how much I love FMA, some things aren't meant to be in our world. It's anime, no matter how you look at it. Poor cat.

How dare they try and develope help for those who lost limbs rolleyes.gif

I don't get why this is being called automail though..it's just a prostetic limb FFS. And don't moan about the cat, Animal testing is very usefull. If it had been tested on a human and killed said human you would be more pissed about that.
I say bring on the Cyborg kitties.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Automne
post Jul 30 2006, 08:16 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 13,171

QUOTE(popogeejo Posted Today @ 08:11 AM)
And don't moan about the cat, Animal testing is very usefull. If it had been tested on a human and killed said human you would be more pissed about that.

Hum, no. mellow.gif

--------------------

mspaint_lolz on livejournal

'Buffy and Angel had gone out before and Buffy wasn't really comfortable talking to Spike and Angel at the same time, because now Spike and Buffy had been going out for 6 months and Buffy was afraid that Angel might tell Spike that him and Buffy went out, but it turns out that Angel had told Spike that they went out, Spike was heartbroken that Buffy never told him that they went out, so Spike broke up with Buffy to get back at her for not telling him that Angel and Buffy went out.'

-NOT MINE

TEH BESTEST (AND MOST FRENCH) ROMANCE EVAR

+Quote Post
Ushinatta
post Jul 30 2006, 10:23 AM
Post #34

Citizen

Member No.: 39,026

Human testing would probably have been better.

It would have given the scientists a better idea of how 'Automail' on the scale for a human would work, not to mention it would probably be consensual.

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Jul 30 2006, 10:49 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 23,257

QUOTE(Ushinatta @ Jul 30 2006, 10:23 AM) [snapback]427391[/snapback]

Human testing would probably have been better.

It would have given the scientists a better idea of how 'Automail' on the scale for a human would work, not to mention it would probably be consensual.

You wanna be the guina pig for that one?

I've oft wondered if Auto-Mail could work in our world. I mean, it's really a good idea, fandom or not. I should think it brilliant if we could get this to work out.

--------------------
Attention Manga Lust fans:
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

My LiveJournal, because I'm a closet conformist

+Quote Post
thearchitect
post Aug 1 2006, 07:34 PM
Post #36

Citizen

Member No.: 6,021

Honestly lots of our current technology came from old science fiction, nanotechnology, lots of computer stuff, weapons of all kinds, and AI. Just watch "How William Shatner Changed the World" if you don't believe me. Also, testing on animals occurs in most everything we create. It is a necessary thing. Also, if it weren't for such animal testing my dog may have died years earlier than she did. They used new treatments that were being tested after being hit by a car.

+Quote Post
sachiko hyuuchi
post Aug 2 2006, 01:22 PM
Post #37

Citizen

Member No.: 37,339

THat's pretty cool ! The only bad thing is that, what if the injury was serious (ex. burned by fire, etc) and the nerves doesn't work or remain? (remember Falman (was it him?) in the manga. He couldn't use automail).

--------------------
¸.´¯`*.¸.*´¯`ºOne is All and All is Oneº´¯`*.¸.´¯`*.¸.·´
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Shadow Wulfe
post Aug 5 2006, 12:15 AM
Post #38

Alchemists

Member No.: 39,328

So did the cat have pain the WHOLE time or did it go away?

The point of using other mammals is that if something bad happens in an experiment involving a technique or drug that could possibly be used on humans it's better that a human not die/suffer for it.

--------------------
The fam= Keyblade Master- Kitty Alchemist, Little Sister- Emerald Enchantress Muffin Mistress- Shining Alchemist
If you're at all tempted, grab it before you change your mind, or your mind changes you.

We're watching you.

+Quote Post
dahomunculi
post Aug 7 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #39

Citizen

Member No.: 33,920

hm.. interesting- well, maybe they took a cat who already lost it's limb- maybe the collage studunts took the cat from a shelter or something

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Zyric
post Aug 8 2006, 10:54 AM
Post #40

Citizen

Member No.: 18,625

Intriguing! I'd like to back up Sensenic's request for a source smile.gif

I was thinking... Did anybody here ever watch Dark Angel? It's just that the topic reminded me of Phil (later, Logan's) exoskeleton and if that had any merit in reality, either.

+Quote Post
Sonae
post Aug 8 2006, 12:12 PM
Post #41

Apprentice

Member No.: 38,166

My cousin is a lier and she does it alot so this may or may not be true, she told me about a dog who got hit by a car, survived but lost it's two back legs and now it has something like automail but if I find she's lying blame her not me (she has an account:enbi110)

--------------------
IPB Image
Sig made by Malik_AmberAlchemist

+Quote Post
Edward Ikari
post Aug 8 2006, 12:49 PM
Post #42

Citizen

Member No.: 30,222

Actually, I read in Popular Science that a man who had lost both arms in a an accident was fitted with robotic arms which use nerve links like in FMA, and work quite nicely.

It's a very interesting thing, and I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of it.

--------------------

"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them, or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us."

+Quote Post
Sonae
post Aug 8 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #43

Apprentice

Member No.: 38,166

I haven't

--------------------
IPB Image
Sig made by Malik_AmberAlchemist

+Quote Post
bemused_non-alch...
post Aug 9 2006, 06:50 AM
Post #44

Citizen

From: arable land with sufficient resources to support carbon-based life
Member No.: 8,458

I saw something like that on Discovery some time ago, but its nowhere as sophisticated as automail. And it looks pretty ugly.

The whole cat thing requires a full debate on ethics and animal experimentation to resolve, man.Check out Wikipedia.

--------------------
My avatar depicts the fate of a little alligator which decided to eat too much apple. In case you don't know.

And I'll put some other banner up when I feel like it. Until then, be content to stare at this measly little paragraph.

+Quote Post
Greed貪欲
post Aug 9 2006, 10:33 AM
Post #45

Citizen

Member No.: 39,398

QUOTE(sachiko hyuuchi @ Aug 2 2006, 04:22 PM) [snapback]428434[/snapback]

THat's pretty cool ! The only bad thing is that, what if the injury was serious (ex. burned by fire, etc) and the nerves doesn't work or remain? (remember Falman (was it him?) in the manga. He couldn't use automail).

I see what you mean there. Then the "automail" wouldn't have a place to connect the nerves to. It could be connected to nerves FURTHER into the body, if it was possible, but then automail wouldn't funtion properly.

And it was Havoc that couldn't get the automail.

--------------------
Greed: Damn kid... that was good...

<Hi Greed貪欲, I tool out your gif image from your sig because the linked site benjamin.baudrit.free.fr
is known to host malwares. Since, apparently you probably visited this site to get the image you used
for your sig, you may like to check your computer for possible spywares, just in case. ^^ ~ Tombow>

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2016 - 05:09 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css