HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Can I Be Honest? I'm FMA-1 fan and I'm Not Feeling Hot About Having another FMA (Remake) anime, FMA:Brotherhood supporters, please kindly stay away :)
Rating 3 V
FailToImpress
post May 24 2009, 05:05 AM
Post #31

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 62,174

Ohh, does it really matter?
I always think that people take this way too seriously.

My theory is that if you enjoy it, you enjoy it. If you don't enjoy it, then that's fine too.
Just enjoy it for what it is. *shrug*
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Forlong
post Jun 2 2009, 06:21 PM
Post #32

Citizen

Member No.: 69,212

I have mixed feelings about how fast-paced it is. I like that they aren't wasting time, but I'd like a breather once in a while.

--------------------

Also, check out this thread concerning the book I'm writing.

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Jun 2 2009, 06:41 PM
Post #33

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

I'm betting the pacing will settle down once they move out of old anime territory.
I'm more annoyed by the frequent production errors but those to seem to be fading away.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Jun 2 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #34

Lt. General

Member No.: 31,492

QUOTE (Popogeejo @ Jun 2 2009, 06:41 PM) *
I'm more annoyed by the frequent production errors but those to seem to be fading away.

Production errors?

I was excited at first...but I can't seem to watch and enjoy it, without thinking "...this part was much better in the first anime...", and also, I'm not very hot on this new art. The guys have funny noses and look kinda fat...and the girls' eyes are a bit odd...

Other than that though, I still like the first better :/

--------------------

d a| Y a k u s o k u |t u m b l r

+Quote Post
AA battery
post Jun 3 2009, 02:02 AM
Post #35

Brigadier General

Member No.: 7,450

QUOTE (Greensky @ May 22 2009, 10:39 AM) *
Yes, I must apologize for the way my first statement came across to people. I didn't want to trash the new series, but I was quite irate at the time of writing that post.

I'm such a huge FMA fan, and I will continue watching Brotherhood. The story is beyond good, it's amazing, and I'm sure when the manga story starts up (finally! =p), I'll enjoy this new series!

The publishers HAVE to redo the first part of the story too because the manga part and old-anime part only have around 70% correspondence. You have seen new-episode 3, right? It differs by around 20% from the old-episode 1&2. You have seen new-episode 2, right? It introduces the Truth, which did NOT exist in old-episodes. You have seen new-episode 8&9, right? Please tell me that you do realize how different they are from the old 20-24. I don't want to spoil you, but episode 8 has big hidden plot twist that, if the new crew did not redo this part, they cannot continue the story properly later on.

With only 70% similarity from the first old-29-ish episodes to manga volume 7, they cannot just pick up from manga volume 7 and start from there. The old-anime-episodes have been rewritten to fit the old-anime-ending. Redo-ing the whole series is definitely the correct decision. Enough said.

As a "huge FMA fan" I think you really should read the manga, because a lot of the claims you have made so far look funny to me, and I had to made this reply to you because I don't want you to continue to be blinded from the fact that it is PLOT-RELATED IMPORTANT for the publisher to redo the whole series. I would say it's disrespectful if the publisher did not redo the whole series. It would look cheap (money-wise) if they don't redo it.

Oh, in case people think I hate the first series... I don't. I do like the manga a lot more, and I still think the first FMA series is one of the best anime out there. The reason why most people think that the new-anime is "pointless" at this point is because it follows the speedy-pacing of manga. FMA manga was once dissed because it lacks character development, which the old-anime makes up for it by slowing down the story and adding character development. The first few volumes of manga was rather "immature" (immature as in development of the series... don't forget that Arakawa was still a newbie in the manga industry back then, and Fullmetal Alchemist is her FIRST SERIES.) Right now, the new anime is sticking to the manga, hence it was too fast-paced (just like manga) and rather "immature" compared to the old-anime. The old-anime had professionals who have been around the anime industry for a long time, and knows how to change and make the story better. It is ABSOLUTELY NORMAL to feel that the new-anime (right now) is inferior to the old-anime with the reasons I stated above.

(Well, I do have stuff to complain about the new-anime too, of course. I don't blindly love the new-anime... I can understand taking out the Train story, but what about Youswell... @_@; That's where Yoki appears... and they just skipped over it by showing a file w/ Yoki?! However, I do have a guess on why they did not anime-ize this episode (yet)... that chapter about Youswell is NOT long enough to make a 20 minutes anime (my guess is around 12 minutes)... and it would be kinda weird to have two distinct stories in 1 episode, so that's likely why they scrapped the Youswell story right now. My guess is that it will appear in the form of a flashback later on. Anyway, since my stand in this post is to defend the new-series, I won't go further on the flaws of the new-series xD;)

Anyway, I definitely agree that the first few episodes in new-series have been too rushed, but the production cast seems to have improved, and I didn't get that rushed feeling anymore for the newer episodes. Maybe people need to completely erase the memories of the old-series to fully enjoy the new-series. Anyway, BONES should be done with covering what's covered in old-series within the next 5-ish episodes... the part with Greed is where the old-anime and manga really differ, so the people who have only seen the old-series will be able to see what really have been going on in manga. ^^

okay I should go sleep before I go on and on and on forever...

PS. It seems that there is a crowd of people who dislike the new-Ed for the reason that he is less "uke" in the new series (both his looks and the way he acts)... It's just a feeling, please don't brick me for saying this lol =x I wasn't the only one who mentioned this on a different forum lol

--------------------
*June 11, 2013 - New Doujinshis Added*
Hi, I got a bunch of FMA merchandises (keychains, pencil boards, cards, figurines, book in figure red...etc) for sale at my LJ. Please visit my sale post here if interested! Thanks ^_^

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Jun 3 2009, 03:28 AM
Post #36

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

I'd just like to mention that while Arakawa certainly improved as FMA went on, the earlier days weren't 'too fast'. They were paced just fine. If anything, later (better) chapters become MORE hectic and such.
And I think Brotherhood's last few episodes has stopped cutting as much stuff out and it's getting fairly well paced. It's seems like they'll be following the manga fairly rigidly and not adding in much of their own stuff. (which I don't think is too bad a thing)

Also, what was the hidden spoiler thing you mentioned in episode 8? I can't think of anything that sounds like that.

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
Kasumisty
post Jun 3 2009, 03:35 AM
Post #37

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 59,111

It IS there

Maria shoots from his pistol and does Denny, but their bullets go missing. Later on, Envy takes form of Maria and kills Hughes. The investigation shows that Maria has been seen on the crime spot and also her pistol has been shoot ONCE. When Denny wanted to tell his account, they didn't allow him to. And so the story goes on. But one must read manga

Or it might be something else ;p

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jun 3 2009, 04:29 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 3,267

Quite honestly I never thought the early parts of the manga were not as good as the later parts of the manga and same scenes covered in the anime. I think the issue here is many people saw the 1st anime first and were influenced by it. The first anime expanded a lot of Arakawa's scenes because they had so little to work with (with some good results and some bad results IMO). And yeah this might have added more development for certain characters. Certainly some minor characters in the FMA manga became major characters in the FMA anime. So I think a lot of people expected the manga to have the same development and dark tone for these same scenes they saw in the anime. It was only when the manga and anime fully diverged that they could judge the manga by its own merit fairly. And I see this happening with this new series as well. I personally never had this problem because I started the manga and first anime at the same time. I watched the anime weekly on Adult Swim but read manga scanlations with no break so caught up with the manga first. Hence the anime changes were what was hard for me and it wasn't until the anime did its own thing that I came to appreciate it more. But I have personally always enjoyed the manga more.

The difference also is the early parts of the manga became the later parts of the anime. So in the manga these early parts were almost setting up later more important scenes in the manga whereas in the anime they were introduced as major plot points that happen much later in the 1st anime storyline. Remember that it took the first anime almost 13 episodes to get to the main storyline, whereas Arakawa was there by the 2nd volume.

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Jun 3 2009, 06:13 AM
Post #39

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

QUOTE (Little Washu @ Jun 3 2009, 03:44 AM) *
Production errors?

In the Ep where Scar and Ed fight, when Armstrong shows up to save them he's wearing his gloves. When the rest of the military show up Armstrong jumps back and his gloves have disappeared.

In the Ep at Risenbool when Ed is testing his new arm at one point his auto mail is flesh coloured above the elbow.

There are other cases of the art becoming kinda sloppy, mostly with background faces. This also happened a lot in Deathnote.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Jun 3 2009, 06:57 AM
Post #40

Lt. General

Member No.: 31,492

QUOTE (Popogeejo @ Jun 3 2009, 07:13 AM) *
QUOTE (Little Washu @ Jun 3 2009, 03:44 AM) *
Production errors?

In the Ep where Scar and Ed fight, when Armstrong shows up to save them he's wearing his gloves. When the rest of the military show up Armstrong jumps back and his gloves have disappeared.

In the Ep at Risenbool when Ed is testing his new arm at one point his auto mail is flesh coloured above the elbow.

There are other cases of the art becoming kinda sloppy, mostly with background faces. This also happened a lot in Deathnote.

Oh yeah, I see what you mean...in Negima! (the first one, not done by SHAFT) they had a few errors, like Negi's staff being two places at once and such. I don't quite remember the first anime (FMA) having any really noticeable ones...

I haven't been getting into these episodes that much. I watch them, but can't seem to actually be interested. I don't think this new series is quite as charming as the first. I really would have been pleased if they just sorta did something new with it, like the games do. It's nice not seeing the same story over and over again :>

--------------------

d a| Y a k u s o k u |t u m b l r

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jun 3 2009, 07:09 AM
Post #41

QUOTE (Little Washu @ Jun 3 2009, 07:57 AM) *
I haven't been getting into these episodes that much. I watch them, but can't seem to actually be interested. I don't think this new series is quite as charming as the first. I really would have been pleased if they just sorta did something new with it, like the games do. It's nice not seeing the same story over and over again :>

Sigh do people not read the previous posts? You do realize that they are doing something new with it. This series is following the manga which ends up having a completely different story than the first series. It just starts off similar at first.

As for production errors a lot of times those are fixed on DVD releases. I am not saying this will happen with Fullmetal Alchemist but it is a common practice. The thing is they have to get the weekly episodes out on a schedule and sometimes mistakes happen. So usually things are cleaned up for the DVD releases.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 3 2009, 08:41 AM
Post #42

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

@Kirara - Haha, yeah, I think Little Washu's post represent a certain population of FMA-1 fandom, and IMO that's an valid view also, and as long as they don't start using this thread to bash FMA: Brotherhood anime, or the same poster would keep posting the same thing over and over, then I think these population can also have this thread as a place where they can safely post their rather "unfavorable" view/feeling/thought/opinion on the new FMA series. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jun 3 2009, 08:49 AM
Post #43

QUOTE (Tombow @ Jun 3 2009, 09:41 AM) *
@Kirara - Haha, yeah, I think Little Washu's post represent a certain population of FMA-1 fandom, and IMO that's an valid view also, and as long as they don't start using this thread to bash FMA: Brotherhood anime, or the same poster would keep posting the same thing over and over, then I think these population can also have this thread as a place where they can safely post their rather "unfavorable" view/feeling/thought/opinion on the new FMA series. smile.gif

Well I am not trying to tell anyone they are wrong for not liking the new series as much as the first or even for completely disliking it. But I do think there are some general misconceptions about what this series is. It's not just a rehash or just the same ol thing again. I am not 100% sure where that misconception is coming from honestly and I am just trying to clear it up. I guess it is the difference between sharing factual information and saying someone's opinion is wrong which I was not trying to do. Just to be clear. But sorry if it came off that way. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 3 2009, 08:59 AM
Post #44

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

@Kirara - Oh, no..IMO you have been a great level-headed voice on this thread, and I appreciate your posts very much. happy.gif
As for having many of FMA anime (first series) fans "baffled" by seeing "remake"....I think for many of them the misconception comes from not knowing FMA manga. (or, maybe they checked it out, but for one reason or another, they never got into FMA manga.) To this day, I think a large population of FMA anime (first series) fans don't even know that FMA anime (first series) had a vastly different FMA "universe" from FMA manga universe. And then, I bet many of these fans are simply wondering why even create "remake" to rehash the same story... I keep getting asked that again and again from fans of FMA-1. XD
These days I just refer these fans to Popogeejo's FMA: B FAQ thread. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AA battery
post Jun 3 2009, 01:29 PM
Post #45

Brigadier General

Member No.: 7,450

Kasumisty is correct on what I hinted about episode 8 =3 so Vagrant can take a look at that post if you haven't already.

I also started reading the manga and anime at about the same time... well, after watching the first few episodes of anime I decided to look for manga =P so I guess it's still sorta the same time xD I dunno, back then I did think anime was better than manga because manga was too fast paced... well, we are all different people so we view things differently 8D; I admit that I started to like the manga more when the old-anime started to have their own story. I do have the impression that manga later slowed down to have more developments, such as the part on the Ishval war which took four long chapters. I like how detailed those chapters are. (BUT I definitely agree that starting around chapter 72-ish, manga began to rush like WHOA @_@; It's as if Arakawa wanted to get FMA done and over with so that she can focus on her new series Juushin Enbu...)

anyway, time to move on... I had my share of ranting and I'm satisfied. xD

--------------------
*June 11, 2013 - New Doujinshis Added*
Hi, I got a bunch of FMA merchandises (keychains, pencil boards, cards, figurines, book in figure red...etc) for sale at my LJ. Please visit my sale post here if interested! Thanks ^_^

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2016 - 08:11 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css