HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

1516 Pages V  « < 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hawkeye X Roy: The Royai Thread, For Roy, Riza, and Royai fans, and more!!
Rating 5 V
KidAkabane
post Jun 15 2009, 04:50 PM
Post #16336

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 68,045

He sure as heck wouldn't fly away on a hotair ballon, that's for sure. tongue.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Jun 15 2009, 05:00 PM
Post #16337

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

QUOTE (KidAkabane @ Jun 15 2009, 04:50 PM) *
He sure as heck wouldn't fly away on a hotair ballon, that's for sure. tongue.gif

Though the giving up his commission could be a possibility if he achieved his goals by straying from the path...

+Quote Post
hand-made-city
post Jun 15 2009, 05:08 PM
Post #16338

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 67,054

QUOTE (KidAkabane @ Jun 15 2009, 07:50 PM) *

The hot-air balloon was quite funny, actually. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
KidAkabane
post Jun 15 2009, 05:13 PM
Post #16339

Citizen

Member No.: 68,045

I agree, it was totally halarious. But still. XD And yeah, I can see the giving up the commision thing happening.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aribelle
post Jun 15 2009, 07:25 PM
Post #16340

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 68,646

I agree that he would probably be empty and he would just not be the same person. He's pretty emotional as it is, so her death is something I don't think he could ever bounce back from. But I think he would still work that much harder to make what they wanted to happen with the country a reality, so I couldn't see him giving up his commission.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hand-made-city
post Jun 15 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #16341

State Alchemist (Major)

laugh.gif Alright, sorry I'm DYING laughing all of a sudden... I keep picturing Roy going up in that hot-air balloon over and over in my mind now that we've had this conversation!! Ahhh I need to go watch the movie again.... too bad my computer's dvd drive is broken and so is my tv......

Actually I have something else to talk about... I was just reading a curious Royai fanfic, and the author left a note at the beginning of the fic, reacting to chapter 57 where we first see Riza's tattoo. The author said something like 'Noo I hope Riza doesn't turn out to be evil or something!!' and it just struck me as strange. I started reading the manga when it was already on chapter 85, so nothing in chapter 57 and on really came as a shock to me because I had already heard of it. For those of you that were reading way back then, what was your first reaction to Riza's tattoo? It wasn't as extreme as this author's 'Riza might be evil' reaction, was it??

PS: Why does the forum change the word random to curious........? Or is my mind playing tricks on me?

--------------------

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post Jun 15 2009, 09:04 PM
Post #16342

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 52,558

@hand-made-city I was honestly very surprised by Riza's tatoo. I didn't expect that whatsoever. But I am glad that Arakawa put it in because it gave Roy and Riza a backstory. And the main reason why they are so devoted to each other.

I would never want a Roy floating away on a balloon scene again. Because I had read in Newtype US (I believe) that fans wouldn't be disappointed in the Roy and Riza ending. So I thought "WHOO Hell yeah! Maybe something will be officallly confirmed. But no, they don't even say like 10 words to each other. Honestly even Havoc and Breda spoke to Roy longer than Riza did in the movie.

It might not have been so bad, if they had at least shown flashbacks of Roy deciding to give up alchemy and go to the snow region. Or a Roy and Riza reuniting after he got to the ground in the balloon. The ending of the movie showed Armstrong playing with those children in front of Pinako's house. Why wasn't there a Royai moment there? My only explanation is that Roy is still floating in that hot air balloon because he is afraid of what Riza will do to him when he lands.

My pointless rant has made me feel better.

Does anyone think that Wrath will attack Roy or Riza? I think that it is plausible because he does say that he will take care of the flame alchemist.

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/39/41/ Bradley is ready to kill Roy there, but stops when he sees how Roy and Riza behave around one another.

Finally, why does everything I reference about Roy and Riza always goes back to chapter 39?

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 15 2009, 09:21 PM
Post #16343

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Nooo... Roy floating away on a balloon... bad bad memory of FMA movie. >.<

QUOTE (hand-made-city @ Jun 15 2009, 11:43 PM) *
Why does the forum change the word random to curious........? Or is my mind playing tricks on me?

@hand-made-city - No, it's not your mind playing tricks on you. XD The forum filter really does change that word to "curious." XD
It is because... for a while, some members kept using the word "random" quite many times, even for things that weren't even random, and one of the board staff had a pissyfit was fed up with it, and requested to put the word filter on it to discourage members from using the word (or, so I heard.) XD

--------------------

+Quote Post
jacksparrow589
post Jun 15 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #16344

Special Ops (Piratical Gallery Enforcement)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 48,158

Aribelle, hand-made-city, Tombow, rinoaebastel, and crazyanimefan--Thanks! It really does mean a lot to me that people take the time to read (and think about) what we fanfic authors put out there!

About (not-so-)loose translations: A lot of the discrepancies in translations seem to be the ones that make it more dramatic. (In some cases, this borders on the absurd.) I can see where some lines come from.

Example: getting "Don't go where I can't follow" from... um... I forget the exact wording of Tombow's translation, but I know it had nothing to do with Riza following Roy. It had to do with not becoming like an animal, i.e. running with the revenge instinct. Riza, presumably not quite as close to Maes as Roy, has a bit more of a level head at this point, and thus is not going to kill Envy just for revenge. Also, she's not going to just let Roy obey his animal instinct ("Don't go..."), nor will she join in on the revenge killing ("...where I can't follow!"), should it come to that. She's pleading with him not to do what he's about to do, and I think that both translations capture that particular essence of the line. I appreciate both versions very much, and it's pretty interesting to see what sort of differences there are.

About Roy after Riza's death: Whoever said he'd be empty, I agree. He's not going to be stupid enough to try and bring her back, and he knows darn well he's got a mission to complete, but Riza's quite the anchor for Roy. He'd probably feel a great degree of guilt for getting her into everything in the first place, and would connect that to how things ended up. I actually wonder if he'd be kept going by Ed's debt to him, as Ed himself keeps Roy on the path from time to time.

Pfft... Hot air balloons... *bursts out laughing*

Wrath attack?: Mmm... iono. I just have this weird "that's not going to happen" feeling. After all, Wrath's been proven more susceptible to human emotion than the other homunculi. I have no idea how this would really work, but it might have something to do with Mrs. Bradley being a higher priority than Roy and Riza at the moment. Again, I just have this gut feeling of "no". But I've been known to be wrong on more than one occasion.

--------------------

Credit goes to Causmicfire for my avatar

The Royai Day party might be over, but the fun never stops!
Royai Day 2011 Album
Thank you to all those who contributed!

+Quote Post
Causmicfire
post Jun 15 2009, 09:41 PM
Post #16345

Member No.: 49,283

@hand-made-city - the only thing I could think of around chapter 57 that would make Riza seem evil is the omake that came with the volume containing that chapter.

In it Riza's excited to go to a public bath-house(The viz translation has her thinking, It'll be fun to go there after work with music notes around her .) Then, there's a sign saying no one with tattoos is allowed in...at this point Scar is sulking with her (with a rubber ducky in his soap basket XD), so she tells him. "Destroy it." Scar: "Huh" Riza: "Destroy this stupid bath-house." [in little writing=Make it go kaboom with your right hand] Scar: "W-Wait, are you sure!?" Riza: "You're a terrorist anyway, so if you get caught problem solved." Scar: "Hey, wait a second!"

Favorite omake, aside from the Lust "Solaris" & Jean on a date one.

Anyway, that's the only thing that I thing could make her seem evil, but it's an omake, we aren't supposed to take that as being part of a character's personality.

As for how Roy would feel if Riza died. I do agree he would feel guilty if she died for his cause, and in fact upset for a while, but I think her death would make him really want to get what he's aiming for.

If he was at her side while she was dying, though the fluff writer/shipper in me may want it, I doubt her last words will be anything over their relationship, but something about his dreams, and how he better continue on that path she was following him on, without her to point the gun at his back, he would have to be sure to draw it on himself, or make sure it would never come to that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 15 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #16346

Group Icon

QUOTE (Causmicfire @ Jun 16 2009, 12:41 AM) *
.. the only thing I could think of around chapter 57 that would make Riza seem evil is the omake that came with the volume containing that chapter.

In it Riza's excited to go to a public bath-house(The viz translation has her thinking, It'll be fun to go there after work with music notes around her .) Then, there's a sign saying no one with tattoos is allowed in...at this point Scar is sulking with her (with a rubber ducky in his soap basket XD), so she tells him. "Destroy it." Scar: "Huh" Riza: "Destroy this stupid bath-house." [in little writing=Make it go kaboom with your right hand] Scar: "W-Wait, are you sure!?" Riza: "You're a terrorist anyway, so if you get caught problem solved." Scar: "Hey, wait a second!"

Favorite omake, aside from the Lust "Solaris" & Jean on a date one.

Bwahaha, that one is my fav omake also. XD

Ok, I found the scanlation: "Riza gets mad at bathhouse" Omake
(not a Viz version, tho. I don't have the scan of Viz version. :P)

@Causmicfire - Umm.. could you check out my post, and see what you think..?? ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
hand-made-city
post Jun 15 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #16347

State Alchemist (Major)

@Tombow
OH! That makes a lot of sense. It's the second time it happened to me, so I got really confused!

@Causmicfire
I can't think of a reason to believe Riza is evil because of that tattoo either... guess that person was just really really surprised! And btw, that omake is probably one of my favorites!! So funny!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Causmicfire
post Jun 15 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #16348

Member No.: 49,283

Tombow - That's a good idea too, with this being thesuperbusyweekofgraduations(my sister's graduating from highschool, so we've got five extra people to house + family being home means outings, catching up, & reminiscing), I probably won't get around to it until Wednesday night. Though, I can start compiling a list of links in word.

So, say I opened a fanart thread, in the addendum would I list the fanfic/icons & banners with or without their links or just mention them with a link to the thread they're in?

Oh, and for translations, I like to take them all, even the official ones(because Viz kept mentioning Ed's watch as being gold), with a grain of salt.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aribelle
post Jun 15 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #16349

Member No.: 68,646

-__-'' Viz's translations have had some inconsistencies what with spelling names and such, as I'm sure others have noticed...I personally like to read as many translations as I can and go from there...

And the Spanish translation has the same "I will leave this world with the body of the Flame Alchemist" line, although it was actually translated from the same English translations lol. Nevermind.

Anyway, when I learned about Riza's tattoo I definitely didn't think she was evil, although I was like "how mysterious!!" lol. Well, maybe not exactly like that but you get the picture tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 15 2009, 11:00 PM
Post #16350

Group Icon

@Causmicfire - It's very gracious of you for taking up the task of making the lithreads with the lists. Please take all your time. Your sister's graduation, and family outings, etc. are more important, IMO. biggrin.gif And, as for the addendum, I would probably list the whole thing, with the link for each piece and all XDD But, please make however you feel like it, and that would be quite fine, IMO. ^^

@Aribelle - Yeah, I think Spanish and Portuguese ones use that English one, then translate that. ^^

And, yeah, Viz was bad for a while, too. XDD

About Riza's tattoo... it didn't make me think Riza was evil... I was plainly fascinated by the design. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

1516 Pages V  « < 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2016 - 02:44 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css