Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA Philosophy, Frankenstein = FMA?
Ookami
post Mar 16 2005, 02:59 PM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,839

If any of you have read the original Frankenstein book, by Mary Shelley... and watched FMA... you may have noticed some odd similarities. At least, I have. Then again, I'm a loser. X3

Personally, I've come to the conclusion that the idea behind FMA may have been somehow subtly derived from Frankenstein. Yeah, I know that sounds crazy, but it really makes sense if you compare.

First off, the Philosopher's Stone is mentioned in Frankenstein in one of the earlier chapters. Big hit off right there, since that's the central focus in FMA. Next, Alphonse is the name of Victor's (the mad scientist guy) father. Another thing in common. The whole point of FMA is for Ed and Al to find the Stone and resurrect/recreate their mother... ne? Well, in Frankenstein, Victor tells his tale of using various dead body parts (human sacrifices are also needed in order to perform human alchemy, in FMA! Hah!) to create life. Finally, transmutation and chimeras are mentioned in Frankenstein, as well. For those of you who have watched FMA (or played the game), you know how big both of those are to the storyline.
Big coincidence, or something more? Kind of odd, though, considering that the book, Frankenstein, was published in 1831 in England...

Yeah. So that's my philosophy. It may not make too much sense, but... This is what happens when Ookami is bored and sugar-high. Thank you for reading. @_@;

By the way, I'm a newbie. ^^ If there's something in this post that shouldn't be, then I apologize. o___O;;

--------------------
No Tresspassers
Violaters will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again.

user posted image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Mar 16 2005, 03:30 PM
Post #2

Guests

Well, Arakawa-san did make many references and such in the manga... a lot of the characters were named after something: Ed was officially named after 'Edward Sissorhands' Alchemy was a definate research project...and all sorts of stuff. So who knows, she may of read Frankenstein. Personally, I doubt it...a lot of people do a project that may, after all finished, be simular to another piece. For me, I am writting about 4 characters who have to face their Fate...the overall story is close to MacBeth, but I've only read it recently. So maybe it's an accident or maybe something she ment to do.

+Quote Post
CursedAnubis
post Mar 16 2005, 04:31 PM
Post #3

Apprentice

Member No.: 9,726

The whole point of FMA is for Ed and Al to find the Stone and resurrect/recreate their mother... ne?

Umm... I thought the reason for their wanting the Philospher's stone was to restore their bodies? unsure.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Take my advice, Mustang... The Philosopher's Stone does not exist.

+Quote Post
KevLar
post Mar 16 2005, 05:17 PM
Post #4

Citizen

Member No.: 280

QUOTE(CursedAnubis @ Mar 16 2005, 06:31 PM)
The whole point of FMA is for Ed and Al to find the Stone and resurrect/recreate their mother... ne?

Umm... I thought the reason for their wanting the Philospher's stone was to restore their bodies? unsure.gif
[snapback]134440[/snapback]

Yes, they do not want their mother back, only their bodies.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Mar 19 2005, 08:05 PM
Post #5

Executive Officer (Spam Assassin)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 16

QUOTE(Ookami @ Mar 16 2005, 02:59 PM)
If any of you have read the original Frankenstein book, by Mary Shelley... and watched FMA... you may have noticed some odd similarities. At least, I have. Then again, I'm a loser. X3

Yes, many similarities.

Personally, I've come to the conclusion that the idea behind FMA may have been somehow subtly derived from Frankenstein. Yeah, I know that sounds crazy, but it really makes sense if you compare.

Although Mary Shelley has read some of the research by Paracelsus (aka Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim), her main scientific basis is not alchemy, but the reanimation of dead tissues through electricity.

First off, the Philosopher's Stone is mentioned in Frankenstein in one of the earlier chapters. Big hit off right there, since that's the central focus in FMA. Next, Alphonse is the name of Victor's (the mad scientist guy) father. Another thing in common.

It may or may not be coincidential. Hiromu Arakawa might have been making an allusion to the famous French Kabbalist, Alphonse Louis Constant, who knew of Paracelsus.

Victor Frankenstein's mother died as well, but his objective to create a living being is different from the motives of the Elric brothers. He simply wanted to see if it was possible to create life without biological means (asexually).

Finally, transmutation and chimeras are mentioned in Frankenstein, as well.

Frankenstein's monster himself is a chimera of sorts.

Yes, I have nothing more to say, really. mellow.gif

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis
(Forum Spam Assassin, Vice-Mother, and Queen of the Grammar Police)

This sentence says something else when you're not looking.

+Quote Post
Guest_Kao_*
post Mar 19 2005, 09:27 PM
Post #6

Guests

*Evil Mumbling* I think i shall pick up Frankenstien the book. Sounds interesting sinces its sorta related to FMA.

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Mar 19 2005, 09:32 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Or FMA is related to Frankenstein, since the latter came first.

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis

+Quote Post
tempest_Strife
post Mar 19 2005, 11:01 PM
Post #8

Citizen

Member No.: 8,631

Actually I did recognise the similarities, especially with the entire idea of carring unforgivable sin and delving into God's domain.

The same can be said for Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde and Fight Club. Watch the movie (or read the book) then read Dr. Jeckyl, then rewatch/read Fight Club again. It gives interesting insite to the story.. or allogory... or whatever you'd want to call Fight Club.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Mar 20 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #9

Guests

Actally, Frankenstien Monster counts more as a Homoculus.

If you want a chimeric-homoculi such were the Tao's elite Jiangshi from Shaman-King. Unlike the Monster, these corpses were pieced together with animal parts[And somehow, I can't help but think I have inspired a FMA fanfic writer with this].

But I am a bit surprised there was no guy with the name Faust[Or similar] in the FMA anime.

+Quote Post
Steel Alchemist
post Mar 20 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #10

Citizen

Member No.: 9,478

What are you talking about? Frakenstein was made from MANY different body parts right??? I kinda see your point though.

--------------------
Steel Alchemist
Hell is other people
You're a sin against nature, and your body's in so much pain, Oh merciful God who shapes us all... Please return these scarred souls to your unending womb.

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Mar 20 2005, 09:06 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE(Guest @ Mar 20 2005, 07:45 PM)
Actally, Frankenstien Monster counts more as a Homoculus.

If you want a chimeric-homoculi such were the Tao's elite Jiangshi from Shaman-King. Unlike the Monster, these corpses were pieced together with animal parts[And somehow, I can't help but think I have inspired a FMA fanfic writer with this].

But I am a bit surprised there was no guy with the name Faust[Or similar] in the FMA anime.

Frankenstein's monster is not a homunculus.

A homunculus, by its lexical definition, is basically a "little person." Frankenstein's monster is gigantic.

A chimera is, defined by the MSN Encarta Dictionary, "an organism, or part of one, with at least two genetically different tissues resulting from mutation, the grafting of plants, or the insertion of foreign cells into an embryo."

Therefore, Frankenstein's monster is more accurately classified as a chimera, not a homunculus.

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Mar 20 2005, 09:18 PM
Post #12

Guests

Quistis: Actually, during the term for "homunculus" meant "little person." But culture made it a term for any artifically-created non mechanic being.

Wikipedia shows that
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homunculus

But as I said, I classfied Frankenstein's monster as BOTH a chimera & a homunculus.

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Mar 20 2005, 09:29 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE(Guest @ Mar 20 2005, 09:18 PM)
Actually, during the term for "homunculus" meant "little person."

Incoherent sentence. Please rephrase.

But culture made it a term for any artifically-created non mechanic being.

I did not get that impression from reading the link to the Wikipedia page on homunculi, if that's why you posted the link. However I slice it, the page still defines a homunculus as a "little man." In this thread and forum, "homunculus" is, more often than not, used in the alchemical context. Since Frankenstein's monster is not created via alchemy, he is not a homunculus.

But as I said, I classfied Frankenstein's monster as BOTH a chimera & a homunculus.

But how can one classify him as a homunculus if he isn't one?

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Mar 20 2005, 10:39 PM
Post #14

Guests

Quistis: For one thing, Alchemy is related to today's science. As the Golem was an Homoculus itself. Plus, I did remember Frankenstien used a bit of alchemy in his work to revive the dead.

The fact Frankstien is an atricially created being with various corpse pieces as the foundation of it's being should count him as one, regardless of what was repsonsible for his birth.

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Mar 21 2005, 01:17 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE(Guest @ Mar 20 2005, 10:39 PM)
Quistis: For one thing, Alchemy is related to today's science. As the Golem was an Homoculus itself.

But alchemy is not the exact same as today's science. And what is your definition of "golem"?

Plus, I did remember Frankenstien used a bit of alchemy in his work to revive the dead.

Please provide textual evidence.

Frankenstein did not try to revive the dead. He sought to create life without resorting to natural means. Which version of Frankenstein did you read? Perhaps the 1818 version I read is different. I will look into the later revision Mary Shelley did when time permits.

The fact Frankstien is an atricially created being with various corpse pieces as the foundation of it's being should count him as one, regardless of what was repsonsible for his birth.

But only chimeras are created from many genetically different pieces. A homunculus is grown whole, not pieced together.

As well, you still have not clarified what you meant by:
Actually, during the term for "homunculus" meant "little person."

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2016 - 05:18 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css