HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Should I Watch FMA-1 Or FMA:B First?
Which to watch first, FMA or FMA:B
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 105
Guests cannot vote 
FullMetalFist
post Jun 1 2009, 12:00 PM
Post #16

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 50,694

If you are new to the either series, I would go with FMA: Brotherhood. It is a great place to start if you are new to the anime. Then you can go back and watch the first series, and see what makes that series so amazing. You could also do both, but then you might get confused. Honestly FMA: Brotherhood is amazing and so is the original FMA series.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Forgiven
post Jun 1 2009, 02:32 PM
Post #17

Alchemists

Member No.: 66,878

Doesn't really matter. I mean, I would probably watch both if I were you.

+Quote Post
mazam
post Jun 1 2009, 06:03 PM
Post #18

Citizen

Member No.: 49,332

I would say you could even enjoy both at the same time. Brotherhood you'd have to watch weekly since it's new, but you can watch the first series whenever you want because everything is out already. To supplement Brotherhood I would recommend getting a hold of the manga since it's the source material.

+Quote Post
Forlong
post Jun 3 2009, 02:25 PM
Post #19

Citizen

Member No.: 69,212

I'd recommend watching the first series. The reason being that the fast pace of "Brotherhood" might become confusing.

--------------------

Also, check out this thread concerning the book I'm writing.

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jun 3 2009, 03:46 PM
Post #20

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 3,267

QUOTE (Forlong @ Jun 3 2009, 02:25 PM) *
I'd recommend watching the first series. The reason being that the fast pace of "Brotherhood" might become confusing.

Well they watched this far and weren't confused wink.gif

This whole confusing thing seems to be something that old fans believe new fans should feel even though I have seen not one new fan confused. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many new fans. That is why I wish people wouldn't push new fans away because I would like to see what new fans think of Brotherhood who are not influenced by the 1st series or manga.

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Jun 10 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #21

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

I recomend reading the manga happy.gif but lol er if you don't want to do that mmm hate to say it but I sugest watching the first anime first, as the begining introduces the characters more an stuff, just prepare for an incrediably more awesome story when you get into Brotherhood, really they are two completley different shows though with pracitically completley different storys, when they get into it there is basically no simerlarities between them, bar the same set of main characters. I do know people who wanted to get the proper story and went strait into brotherhood and the manga and skipped the 1st anime entierly butttttttttt lol im not been much help here XD

QUOTE (Kirara @ Jun 3 2009, 11:46 PM) *
QUOTE (Forlong @ Jun 3 2009, 02:25 PM) *

Well they watched this far and weren't confused wink.gif

This whole confusing thing seems to be something that old fans believe new fans should feel even though I have seen not one new fan confused. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many new fans. That is why I wish people wouldn't push new fans away because I would like to see what new fans think of Brotherhood who are not influenced by the 1st series or manga.

nyah~ oh bdw I got someone into fma and they started with Brotherhood and said they understood everything, they got so hooked though they read the whole manga after like episode 5 or something XD on the other hand, someone else I know watched the first episode of Brotherhood and just stopped 'cause they didnt get it all, guess it varies from person to person eh? I don't think they gave it a good enough chance though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mhacy
post Jun 12 2009, 03:38 AM
Post #22

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,452

in my opinion.
it doesnt really matter what you watched first.
since the FMA:B is a remake of the first series.
so it begin on the very beginning.
it is really up to you if you want to watch the both series.
though for me Brotherhood was the best. lol.gif

--------------------

Just say...." I DO....."

+Quote Post
xXdark_angel_nek...
post Jun 12 2009, 05:32 AM
Post #23

Alchemists

Member No.: 64,808

well watch the first season and read the manga then watch fma brotherhood. that is what i think that you should do.

--------------------

Sometimes...... some memories ain't meant to leave traces. ~Alphonse Elric

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Jun 19 2009, 07:55 AM
Post #24

State Alchemist (Major)

QUOTE (xXdark_angel_nekoXx @ Jun 12 2009, 01:32 PM) *
well watch the first season and read the manga then watch fma brotherhood. that is what i think that you should do.

Thats what I did ^ (mainly 'cause I was too lazy to read the manga first, even though I heard it was better.) The first anime is good, but the manga and brotherhood are COMPLETLEY different, so I don't think it really matters, my only bit of advice really is not to watch fma 1 at the same time to reading the manga or watching brotherhood XD

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post Jun 20 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #25

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

If you have read the manga, I'd suggest you to start off with Brotherhood. If not, then I guess it really doesn't matter.

The thing is, the first 20 (?) episodes of the original FMA are quite identical to Brotherhood's at the moment. Brotherhood skips these parts pretty quickly probably because of this fact. So.. if you feel like, you could watch some of the first fma's episodes to get some better introduction to the happenings in the beginning, then when the plot gets divorced from the manga plot, switch back to Brotherhood.

..or something similiar. I don't know how easy this would be, since even Brotherhood hasn't got all the way to manga-only plot yet. Watching original to the certain point and switching to the new one who even isn't as far yet? I dunno, but with this speed they're going, it's not going to be a long wait. smile.gif
ignore this part. Sorry. XD

..heh, no matter how I try, my writing ended up sounding so complicated. XD Umm.. maybe start off with the first one. You know, as someone already mentioned, it's already finished. If you have tons of free time, you could be able to finish all the 51 episodes in no time, then continue watching Brotherhood every week.

This post has been edited by Trakonda: Jun 20 2009, 01:48 PM

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Jun 20 2009, 01:16 PM
Post #26

State Alchemist (Major)

QUOTE (Trakonda @ Jun 20 2009, 09:06 PM) *
If you have read the manga, I'd suggest you to start off with Brotherhood. If not, then I guess it really doesn't matter.

The thing is, the first 20 (?) episodes of the original FMA are quite identical to Brotherhood's at the moment. Brotherhood skips these parts pretty quickly probably because of this fact. So.. if you feel like, you could watch some of the first fma's episodes to get some better introduction to the happenings in the beginning, then when the plot gets divorced from the manga plot, switch back to Brotherhood.

..or something similiar. I don't know how easy this would be, since even Brotherhood hasn't got all the way to manga-only plot yet. Watching original to the certain point and switching to the new one who even isn't as far yet? I dunno, but with this speed they're going, it's not going to be a long wait. smile.gif

..heh, no matter how I try, my writing ended up sounding so complicated. XD Umm.. maybe start off with the first one. You know, as someone already mentioned, it's already finished. If you have tons of free time, you could be able to finish all the 51 episodes in no time, then continue watching Brotherhood every week.

eee no! sorry i have to disagree on the first point, the beginings are similar but in no way identical, fma 1 anime is very different in the begining, its based on the same events but have a completly different twist to them that MATTERS a lot later on

what about the whole thing with the fuhrers 'assistant' that starts up within the first 20 eps and would be very confusing since it dont happen in brotherhood and im not gonna spoil anything for either series but they are very different, you can't mix and match it would be very confusing

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post Jun 20 2009, 01:41 PM
Post #27

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

Gah, I guess you're right! Sorry, I didn't come to think it that closely. x_x true, there are some differences in both of them.. (haven't watched the first FMA in a while, my memory slipped. )

Well then, just forget what I said about watching both of them together. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
TheSentinel
post Aug 2 2009, 10:52 AM
Post #28

Citizen

Member No.: 44,527

My inclination would be to watch FMA: Brotherhood. But then again, I am huge fan of the manga.

Don't get me wrong, the original FMA anime is what I saw first. That got me into the manga, which then left me slightly, oh so very slightly, disappointed in the original FMA anime.

Ultimately, both... well all 3, you really should read the manga as well.

--------------------
Tomorrow's forecast:
An expected high of 68 degrees, partly cloudy, with a chance of DOOM!

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Aug 3 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #29

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

My advice would be to watch Brotherhood first. Then to go on reading the manga. That way you'll avoid any possible disapointment. That's my theory when watching movies based on books as well; you see the movie, and if you like it, you are probably going to love the book, which is in most cases way more fleshed out and deeper in content.

Anyway, after having seen Brotherhood, which I imagine is a pretty good show if you don't know anything about the manga, reading the manga will be like getting more of the sweet stuff, only with additional flavors and bonus content.

Then, watch Fma 1. You'll then probably view it as an alternative interpretation, which is different, yes, but still really good.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
Nzm
post Aug 4 2009, 08:25 AM
Post #30

Citizen

Member No.: 70,107

Well, it doesn't really matter if you read manga. But if you don't - watch FAM first and Brotherhood later. After some time, original FMA starts to be much different from manga but before that, it's more detailed about the events.

Brotherhood is generally better and is more similar to manga, but it skips too much ;c

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2016 - 01:55 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css