HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

43 Pages V  « < 40 41 42 43 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do You Hate What Bones Did To Fma(manga) By Making Fma Anime (first Series)? Spoiler Warning For All Fma Series!, Did BONES ruin FMA by making FMA Anime (first series) the way it is??
Do you hate what BONES did to FMA?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 280
Guests cannot vote 
shanryelric
post Mar 23 2010, 09:59 AM
Post #616

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 71,970

actually, i hate it. the manga story line is way better, I think. but they did a great job.

--------------------
Goodbye, Fullmetal Alchemist. Thanks for the memories.

-the manga, characters, story lines, the ending, the Brotherhood series, the first anime and the movie and all things related to it, are the only things that I will always love like how I love my own life.-
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Jun 18 2010, 01:25 PM
Post #617

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,416

No, I don't. I love it.

I have always taken the two series as separate stories which have the same ground. The manga is more action packed, the first anime focuses more on the emotional side.

Some say that the fact that manga wasn't ready when the anime came out was a huge lack but I disagree. This way, the makers, script writers and all, they had the ground and could do what they wanted. They weren't tied by the manga although Brotherhood is. The first anime is different from the manga mainly by two facts:
1) The result
2) The role of some characters

I think that the first anime focused more one the characters and made them seem more realistic than the manga did. I, for one, did NOT miss the exaggerated manga humor. The whole style of the first anime was more realistic, nothing made me feel like "This wouldn't happen".

Also, the outcome was very sad but extremely creative.
Summa summarum, I loved they way they handled some characters. Hughes was given a much bigger role in the plot and in Elric brother's live so the impact of the ep 25 was much more powerful. For he was on the show such a long time, the reactions, mainly Mustang's, were more understandable. Also, Sheska got much bigger role, she was forgotten in the manga.
Now that I've read the whole manga, I've come to the conclusion that the first anime was more about the Elric brother's and their journey to restore themselves. The manga was more about the destiny of whole Amestris, it didn't just focus on the two. But, anyway, the two stories focus on different things and should be treated separately.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AXavierB
post Jun 18 2010, 03:07 PM
Post #618

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,365

I could never hate the first anime. It's what originally introduced me to Fullmetal Alchemist in the first place. I started reading the manga because the anime had ended and I wanted more of the series. I think the overall story of the manga is better, but the first anime outshines it in a few areas.

The first anime focuses more on realistic character development than on the story itself. You're less concerned about how the philosopher's stone is created and how alchemy works than you are about how it affects the characters. For example, Dante wasn't as "cool" or powerful a villain as Father, but she's more frightening because she's disturbingly human. She's motivated entirely by her vanity, selfishness and fear of death, and she copes with these fears by destroying lives for her own benefit. Father, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have any motive beyond the typical shounen antagonist's ambition for power. Not that this is a bad thing, but it's much easier to identify with Dante than with Father, who isn't human at all in the way he works.

The homunculi are more dynamic because they each have their own backstory in the anime rather than all originating from the same source for the same cause. They're sociopaths because of the incidents surrounding their creation and suffer existential crises. They're not in it for the evulz; they want the philosopher's stone so they can become human and stop feeling like freaks and abominations.

I think many people who hate the first anime for not being a faithful adaptation overlook the fact that Hiromu Arakawa told BONES to create their own storyline. I see so many people saying Brotherhood is "what the creator intended" ignoring the fact that she intended for the first anime to be what it is.

EDIT: I'd also like to mention that I like the first anime's more subtle sense of humor. Not that Arakawa's isn't great, but... yeah. The first anime had more clever humor and less slapstick.

--------------------
"There is no such thing as wrath inside me."

+Quote Post
LooneyLolita
post Jun 18 2010, 03:42 PM
Post #619

Citizen

Member No.: 71,261

Yes.. I wished I never had watched the frist anime.. :/

--------------------
My DA

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Jun 19 2010, 03:25 AM
Post #620

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

Not at all. Series 1 is what I started with, and for that I'll always love it!
Yes, it has its flaws, but deeps down I secretly really love it.

It was never going to be as good as the manga, but what they did do with it was good, I thought. I also liked most of the homunculi a lot more in the first series, simply because, for instance, Lust had more depth and background to her.

+Quote Post
AXavierB
post Jun 19 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #621

Apprentice

Exactly. The first anime really gives characters like Lust some personality. In the manga it seems her entire character is "How can I serve Father in the sexiest way imaginable?"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cloud5614
post Jun 19 2010, 06:20 PM
Post #622

Citizen

Member No.: 74,060

I though the first anime was ok.....until I watch the brotherhood anime, its was so much better, especially with the whole Xing plot added...
I think the first anime took a more relax plot compare to the second one, which have a lot of drama and excitement in each episode....This is how I look at it anyway.... happy.gif

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Jun 20 2010, 10:07 AM
Post #623

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,416

QUOTE (AXavierB @ Jun 19 2010, 01:07 AM) *
The homunculi are more dynamic because they each have their own backstory in the anime rather than all originating from the same source for the same cause. They're sociopaths because of the incidents surrounding their creation and suffer existential crises. They're not in it for the evulz; they want the philosopher's stone so they can become human and stop feeling like freaks and abominations.

I forgot to mention this but I totally agree. The homunculi from the first anime really touched me, especially Lust, Sloth and Envy. Lust's Ishvalan background was an interesting characteristic in her ( and her connection with Scar). Those homunculi had a reason for reaching their aim. They weren't mindless servants as in the manga, they were more human since that is what they used to be. They had feeligs and maybe some kind of bonds with each other ( you see LustEnvyGluttony team more in the first anime than in the manga) Also, while in the manga the human transmutation that Elric's performed is pretty much forgotten, in the first anime it follows the brothers everywhere and Sloth just makes the impact heavier. And then there is Envy, what can I say about the guy. The fact that Envy was the son of Hohenheim and therefore the main heroes' half-brother was something I never thought would happen. Yet, it really explains Envy's hate and jealousity, all the dark feelings inside of him. He was first cursed to be a homunculus by his father, and then he left the now-born Envy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FullTylerStarke
post Jun 20 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #624

Citizen

Member No.: 65,453

wow I was going to ask anyone if they had seen the brotherhood series, then I realized the last post in this thread was in 2005, sad.gif wow people wow

Note from board staff: *cough:please check the last page of the thread for the latest and recent posts, and not the first page:cough* ^^

--------------------
Carpe Metallum
http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/..._1398_12896.jpg
Hello FullTylerStarke.. The max sig size limit for our board is 300 pix high. And, if you have the combination of pics and text then the combined total should stay within 300 pix high.
Your current sig pic is 345 pix, and a bit too tall for our board.
You can shrink it a bit, right? Thanks!! ~ Board staff :)

+Quote Post
AXavierB
post Jun 20 2010, 07:57 PM
Post #625

Apprentice

Envy's dilemma in the first anime was very well-written, in part because it's so realistic. There are people in real life who have suffered the trauma of having one of their parents leave to start a new family, and on top of that he has a horrible, selfish person like Dante for a mother. He's sure to be screwed up in the head.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Jun 21 2010, 09:33 AM
Post #626

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,805

Do I hate what Bones did to Anime1?

Interesting question. Anime1 was what got me into FMA fanship. If I had not seen the series at the time I saw it, I would never have read the manga & its alternate continuity (my interest in wanting to see the hottest Anime was waning around the time-line I finished Anime1 on its premiere on Cartoon Network) or be on this Discussion Board.

Anyway, I loved the story adaptation. Arakawa told Bones to write a different ending, meaning they knew what she had planned, and I had no problem with the changes. I liked the Homunculus being human trasnmutations, Envy being an elric brother, Roy killing Winry's parents, the bigger importance of Maes Hughes as a character, etc. Although Father made more sense as the Big Bad (in that he was more alien), I still thought Dante meant business as a Big Bad. I loved the movie, and- despite being in the minority- I beloved the resolution of the Brothers Elric in the real world. Think of the possibilities!!! Too bad it was left to the imagination.

But there is one way I could hate Bones for what it did. It affected my view of the manga series. Anime1 was a more cynical, darker series, and so I felt its imperfect, bittersweet ending made sense. Things don't go the way you want it in real life. This trumped the manga in comparsion. I found it hard to believe how perfect things worked out for Edward and Roy in the manga. Arakawa pulled her punch a lot, whereas Anime1 usually impaled the viewer. If Anime1 did not exist, I would have cared not for the perfect resolutions, and accepted the manga's tone like other shonen stories. But after the darkness and bittersweetness of Anime1, I couldn't believe in the perfect happily-ever-after.

So, overall, NO. I don't hate what Bones did.

+Quote Post
AXavierB
post Jun 21 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #627

Apprentice

Things don't go the way you want it in real life.

That's not always true, though. Even in real life it's entirely possible to earn your happy ending, which is why I liked the way the manga concluded. But I do get what you're saying.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cool & Twisted
post Jul 7 2010, 12:28 AM
Post #628

Citizen

Member No.: 74,678

I absolutely love the the first anime and what Bones did with it.

After looking at the anime you come to enjoy the realistic portrayal of characters and spend less time introducing power-house characters like those in the manga. The art felt far too cartoony and spins it's wheels too much and that it's hard to keep up. It made it that it's so that it's hard on which it's trying to focus it's attention on more; is it action sequences, character relationships, Ed Winry romance scenes. It's far too difficult to grasp which is most important. It's obvious now why it's as popular it's because the antagonist is a cosmic threat because of how he's able to have god-level strength in the end. There's zero level of character development, barely any chapters centered on the characters or ones that focus on Ed and Al's relationship even though the anime based on the manga is called "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood".

+Quote Post
xMinty
post Jul 7 2010, 07:32 AM
Post #629

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,457

NO WAY!!!
I ADORE THE FIRST ANIME!!
I'm not going to go into detail of how amazing it is because then I would have to write paragraphs so I won't.
I 100% agree with the above comment though

--------------------

xhearter=my sister <3333
shinigami-sama ish my brother @w@

+Quote Post
xHearter
post Jul 8 2010, 12:25 PM
Post #630

Citizen

Member No.: 74,417

I LOVED the first series. I actually hate what they did to brotherhood. Even tho the manga storyline is good, it's just badly displayed in brotherhood. TERRIBLY displayed.
the first series plot line is way better anyway
but I can't stand watching brotherhood, I read the manga, but brotherhood is just,NO WAY!
and I hate the dub, Vic sounds bord out of his mind and ends up sounding like yukito, and al is done by a girl. A GIRL!
I miss aaron dismuke and his cute little al voice! T^T
but omg, I'm glad most of you said no, most people I meet like brotherhood WAY better.

--------------------

FMA
If you have attempted alchemy by clapping your
hands, snapping, or drawing an array, copy and
paste this into your signature

xMinty = My sister!! <3<3<3 (sadly. jkjkjkjk! xDD)
she made my AH-mazing avi! ^^

Shinigami-Sama ish my bro!<333 (happily. jkjkjk! xDD)
OMG X-MAS COLORS!!

BYES! ^^

+Quote Post

43 Pages V  « < 40 41 42 43 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th August 2016 - 06:46 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css