HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 59: Lost Light - Content Discussion Thread, Warning, possible spoilers for the first 59 episodes
sidekick.kep37
post May 31 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #31

Alchemists

Group: Members
From: The lair where the Sidekicks hang on their down time
Member No.: 67,873

QUOTE (ShadowCat17 @ May 31 2010, 01:45 PM) *
Is it just me or do they *always* seem to upscale the art/animation whenever Wrath has a scene? If only they would spend a little more time making sure Roy doesn't look so wonky most of the time

TRUE. Wrath demands high quality animation or he'll cut you. His battles are always fast paced and intense, so I can see why they would up the animation; otherwise, it just look cheap, and no one ever wants a cheaply animated battle scene- especially one with Wrath.

I loved this ep. I thought it was a fun one to watch. Thoughts:

-Oh, this must be the "cliffhanger without meaning" we're all talking about. I agree. Though I did kinda see it coming since before the chapter came out.
-Run Roy!!! Run! Save her! Oh, he totally blew that guy up that was in his way. If a guy blew someone up just to get to me, I'd be in, like, insta-love, or something.
-Although, I believe everyone else has already established how "Awwww" the hug was, I just have to say this: <3 THE HUGGGG!!!! <3 And the dialog exchanged between them was sweet. wink.gif
-May, I started liking your character because of this scene where you saved Riza over getting the PS. I just thought you should know that.
-What? More subtle Royai? Thanks, Wrath, for getting to Roy tighten his grip on Riza. tongue.gif
-OHSHI- Wrath totally just used Roy as a skateboard there. And his hands must've HURT. Agh!
-Bye, Roy. :'(
-Scar v. Wrath is looking mighty intense in spite of the fact that it's just the beginning of their battle and there was a long stare-off between the two, not that it's bad or anything. I'm really looking forward to this.
-Roy being blind... It was alright. It could've been better, it could've been worse. I don't know how it could've improved, but I just know there was something missing or something keeping that scene from being amazing.
-Al's scene: I wanted to feel more emotion, like I was desperately trying to find it, but it didn't give me the shivers like it did in the manga, even though it was well played. :/

Like I said, fun episode to watch. I enjoyed it. A lot sure did happen in this episode. o_o
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zonkiethegreat
post May 31 2010, 07:59 PM
Post #32

Alchemists

Member No.: 55,197

^^
YES! I agree...Roy's sudden blindness reveal could have been a pinch more dramatic. I think the "opening" theme to the episodes (the part where Roy is clearly going blind and being sucked down a tunnel) is MORE dramatic, then the reveal.

All in all Great episode. But what is up with the animation on Roy??? His face kept changing.

--------------------

Visit the Roy X Winry fansite : http://royxwinry.weebly.com

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post May 31 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #33

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,555

"Clearly going blind" in the opening? I took that part as simply Roy getting a Blue Screen of Death on his face.

+Quote Post
Aazadan
post May 31 2010, 10:45 PM
Post #34

Citizen

Member No.: 71,965

I liked the shot of Mustangs gate, much clearer than in the manga.

+Quote Post
Flamez_Freak
post Jun 1 2010, 12:13 AM
Post #35

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 66,548

pretty good episode....with great animation and decent artwork......next episode looks awesome....cant wait for it.....
i rate this episode a 9/10

--------------------

+Quote Post
allykatty1
post Jun 1 2010, 03:21 AM
Post #36

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,571

QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ May 30 2010, 05:36 PM) *
QUOTE (penguintruth @ May 30 2010, 06:16 PM) *
My point about it not paying off, much in the way we got a big array activation that led to just some people being teleported, is that the cliffhanger of the previous episode being that Roy seems to agree to do a human transmutation. And then in the beginning of this episode he goes, "LOL, actually no, I agreed NOT to. Sorry." And that's the payoff.

Actually, now that I am recalling more clearly, the concurrent manga chapters did not even end on Mustang's affirmative:

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/100/46/

...making this decision seem all the more arbitrary and manipulative. Having said that, I still thought it was a pretty effective cliffhanger from the perspective of not knowing what was going to happen to Hawkeye, but I will concede that 'shock value' would have been better served by leaving Mustang's decision unresolved until the next episode. Then, there would have been no dramatic undercutting or disrespect of the viewer's intelligence when he made his decision the following episode.

Your bringing this up has really piqued my curiosity as to just how many other 'minor' changes theis anime has made to the manga. It's been quite some time since I read over the original work; maybe it's time for a little compare and contrast...

...or maybe it would only get me upset rolleyes.gif

Why does everyone think Mustang agreed to do human transmutation? O_o What he said at the end of the episode was, "Wakatta," which means "I understand" or "I get it." That's exactly what he said in the manga too. The cliffhanger wasn't that he agreed to do it and then went "just kidding" at the beginning of the next episode. The cliffhanger was supposed to leave us wondering whether or not he WOULD agree to do it. I guess you could argue that it made it seem like a confirmation, but I always thought that line was meant to be ambiguous.

That said, I did see that Eclipse's fansub mistranslated it as "I will." Is that partly where the misunderstanding is coming from? o_O

Claudius - Not to go off topic, but I never thought Selim died in Anime1. Didn't he just get semi-strangled/beat up? wink.gif They never really confirmed his life or death either way, but the fact that Mustang carried him out of the mansion made it seem to me like Selim was just unconscious.

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Jun 1 2010, 04:24 AM
Post #37

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

Decent episode. While I thought some parts were great, such as Al at the gate and his decision to return, and the short Bradley vs Scar sequence (except for the stare out contest, wtf? Lame. At least the way it was executed.), I felt that other parts were a bit lacking, in impact and emotion. Mainly thinking about the whole Roy thing, both the transmutation and the consequences "revealed". Wasn't really as dramatic as I would like.
I loved Truth's little snicker though, and all the blood in this episode. Just look at that red waterfall coming from up above from Jerso! (Almost dissapointing how he only appears to have a few small cuts after that..) And I liked Goldie getting stabbed by the shadows, he almost sounded like he enjoyed it, on some level, maintaining his creepy manners.

The new music was nice, and animation was pretty good too. (Al's armour when he's lying on the floor during Father's speech!!)

Looking forward to the next one.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
_Jelly
post Jun 1 2010, 05:23 AM
Post #38

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 31,991

Speaking of Scar and Wrath's stare off...

HAHAHA I started to giggle in the middle of it since it went on forever and was so corny.

Scar. Wrath. Scar. Wrath. Scar. Wrath. Scar. Wrath. Getting a bit closer now. Scar. Wrath. Scar. Wrath. Even closer. Scar. Wra--asoijiosjdaisojAAARRGGG-smash-

And also I agree with the scenes that lack in emotion... whether it was the background music or the lines or the angles they took these scenes from it just didn't hit all that hard. Though every time I say that, I get a feeling it's because I already know what's going to happen from reading the manga. =\ BUT Wrath tackling Roy was cool and was animated very well. It was hard to comprehend how exactly that went in the manga, with Roy's blast launching Wrath further and faster toward him. The action was very smooth too.

QUOTE (allykatty1 @ Jun 1 2010, 08:21 PM) *
Why does everyone think Mustang agreed to do human transmutation? O_o What he said at the end of the episode was, "Wakatta," which means "I understand" or "I get it." That's exactly what he said in the manga too. The cliffhanger wasn't that he agreed to do it and then went "just kidding" at the beginning of the next episode. The cliffhanger was supposed to leave us wondering whether or not he WOULD agree to do it. I guess you could argue that it made it seem like a confirmation, but I always thought that line was meant to be ambiguous.

I only watched the RAW of that episode and me with little knowledge of the Japanese language understood that much. He didn't say "Okay" he merely said he understood. Who he understood, he didn't say and that along with the preview would have given non-readers of the manga something to worry about. I mean, the preview showed him at the gate, or at least in a white space looking pretty freaked out. Watchers would assume he did human transmutation willingly. Surprise, guys, he was just raped and forced into it, that's all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Jun 1 2010, 05:42 AM
Post #39

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

I don't think the lack of emotion comes from knowing what's going to happen. All shock-value is gone, of course, but I don't really think the emotional weight is all that affected by it, for me at least. It might take away a little bit, but if a scene is done with heart, it will make you feel nonetheless. Some episodes have completely blown me away, and captured me emotionally, despite me knowing about the events beforehand.

I think it's more about execution, direction etc. And yeah, music. Sucker for melodramatic music right here tongue.gif That's also one of Brotherhood's problems at times - poor use of music. Be it repating old tracks over and over, or just placement or choice of a certain piece that doesn't feel entirely right.

QUOTE (_Jelly @ Jun 1 2010, 02:23 PM) *
Scar. Wrath. Scar. Wrath. Scar. Wrath. Scar. Wrath. Getting a bit closer now. Scar. Wrath. Scar. Wrath. Even closer. Scar. Wra--asoijiosjdaisojAAARRGGG-smash-

Oh, and yes. Exactly.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Jun 1 2010, 09:05 AM
Post #40

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,805

QUOTE (allykatty1 @ Jun 1 2010, 02:21 AM) *
Claudius - Not to go off topic, but I never thought Selim died in Anime1. Didn't he just get semi-strangled/beat up? wink.gif They never really confirmed his life or death either way, but the fact that Mustang carried him out of the mansion made it seem to me like Selim was just unconscious.
There is, I think, a Snap! of Selim's neck. The kid is dead. Mustang took the body out so Selim could be given a decent burial instead of being burned with the rest of the trash...
This was one of the episodes that Cartoon Network gave a 'viewer discretion is advised', for this scene.

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Jun 1 2010, 10:31 AM
Post #41

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

That's what I've been trying to understand. Why did fan subbers translate "wakatta" as "I'll do it"
It means basically "I understand" Wakarimasen=I don't know, Wakaranai= I dunno. Even if someone with zero japanese language knowledge were to read this post, they'd see where wakatta relates to wakarimasen/wakaranai

Anyone know how FUNimation subbed it on their site? I'm interested to know now.

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Jun 1 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #42

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

I LOVED this episode. So much royai! <3 *_* loved it, when readin this episodes events in the manga, i remembered i was so stressed! XD I got really upset, this time around I felt more able to enjoy it, Al you're so selfless <3

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post Jun 1 2010, 11:14 AM
Post #43

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,555

QUOTE (deet-tastic @ Jun 1 2010, 12:31 PM) *
Anyone know how FUNimation subbed it on their site? I'm interested to know now.

He says "All right." So the dub will probably say the same or similar. I don't have much faith in FUNimation keeping the same amount of ambiguity though, considering they changed "There's something I've been meaning to ask you" into "There's something I've been meaning to tell you..." And what are they going to do about the ending of episode 24? "Ah, I get it, Hughes. When you said that 'It's an emergency,' you meant that, uh, er... it's the emergency I'm in now?"

+Quote Post
Flamez_Freak
post Jun 1 2010, 12:07 PM
Post #44

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 66,548

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Jun 1 2010, 07:12 PM) *
I don't think the lack of emotion comes from knowing what's going to happen. All shock-value is gone, of course, but I don't really think the emotional weight is all that affected by it, for me at least. It might take away a little bit, but if a scene is done with heart, it will make you feel nonetheless. Some episodes have completely blown me away, and captured me emotionally, despite me knowing about the events beforehand.

I think it's more about execution, direction etc. And yeah, music. Sucker for melodramatic music right here tongue.gif That's also one of Brotherhood's problems at times - poor use of music. Be it repating old tracks over and over, or just placement or choice of a certain piece that doesn't feel entirely right.

QUOTE (_Jelly @ Jun 1 2010, 02:23 PM) *

Oh, and yes. Exactly.

this . . And the fact that the director of this show is mediocre . He is good at best , and can't even be compared to seiji mizushima . I know seiji has major problems wit female characters and has the tendency to screw it all up , but if its about hard core direction , not many can match up to his standards . I wonder why bones went for someone like irie to begin wit .
That wrath scar , wrath scar , wrath scar shot was a bit , over the top , but as someone said said earlier , the somersault move from bradley when he confronts mustang was so cool , it made me jump out of my seat . . It was better than how it was done in the manga .

--------------------

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Jun 1 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #45

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

^I rarely say anything outload when watching stuff, but I did a "HECK YESSS!!" when Bradley pinned Mustang.

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2016 - 07:36 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css