HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Chapter 88 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others), No future chapter spoilers here, please. :)
acaray
post Oct 11 2008, 01:24 AM
Post #16

FMA Milos Foreign Correspondent

Group: Members
Member No.: 63,185

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, but first thing first : OMG !!! Daddy hohenheim isn't happy. lol, he is soo cool in that chapter. He's really Ed's father XD

Thanks you HisshouBuraiKen for the translation, it was fast ! and you too Ropespinner for the RAW, those were awesome !!

Al is marvellous "Let's see which one of us is more patient, Selim...", bloody brillant !!! Without Pride on his side, father's gonna be a little alone don't you think ? Against Hohenheim, Ed, team Scar, Mustang and Greed....but we never know what Arakawa is thinking, so....we'll jst have to wait and see !!!

Thank you again for this chapter, and I'm pleased to join you !!! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Automne
post Oct 11 2008, 03:41 AM
Post #17

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 13,171

[rant]I'm once again reminded of how unimpressive of a villain Pride is. The battle at the beginning just lacked action and was overall uninteresting; it had this 'rushed' feeling some chapters held in the past, and Arakawa's attempt at giving Selim 'depth' by making him seem more 'human' lacked originality (and wtf with that dialogue with Al? Some parts were just really akward). At this point I'll just hope she kills him off fast, because that's truly wasting the potential of what could have been a very good antagonist, IMO.[/rant]

Well, at least the end of this chapter promises the next ones to be a bit more lively. Let's hope she won't get rid of Kimblee too fast (or at all. Not every enemies have to go).

--------------------

mspaint_lolz on livejournal

'Buffy and Angel had gone out before and Buffy wasn't really comfortable talking to Spike and Angel at the same time, because now Spike and Buffy had been going out for 6 months and Buffy was afraid that Angel might tell Spike that him and Buffy went out, but it turns out that Angel had told Spike that they went out, Spike was heartbroken that Buffy never told him that they went out, so Spike broke up with Buffy to get back at her for not telling him that Angel and Buffy went out.'

-NOT MINE

TEH BESTEST (AND MOST FRENCH) ROMANCE EVAR

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Oct 11 2008, 04:33 AM
Post #18

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 35,674

Personnaly, I loved how Arakawa presented Pride as "fond" of his "mother". That's certainly not something I was expecting to see or hear tongue.gif Lol, he even seems cute all alone in that prison with Al laugh.gif Personnaly, Pride impresses me, he is powerful, smart, but not too much like the kind of super-villains we have in other Shônens. Man, I actually come to appreciate his loyalty to his father, when you see the piece of s*** that is Greed dry.gif Gut wants everything, no matter the cost! Central will soon be turned into one huge Battle Royale, with Father, Mustang, Olivia, Grumman and now Greed who all want the supreme power... this is a mess!

The little bit of intel about May was also welcomed, and the way Scar talked of her... I love that girl and that guy wink.gif

+Quote Post
jacksparrow589
post Oct 11 2008, 08:27 AM
Post #19

Special Ops (Piratical Gallery Enforcement)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 48,158

This chapter has reminded me of why I love Hoho so much. He's an awesome guy! I know this is obvious, but he and Ed are very alike in most things, and I think that's why I like him so much.

Mei, on the other hand, I do not like. She's gone over to the dark side, that one, and Envy didn't promise her cookies-- just the world.

Selim/Pride tripping over the helmet was pretty funny. I had to read it twice to make myself beleive that he had done that though. Personally, I don't think he's quite fleshed out yet. I preferred him as a non-fleshed out, psychotic type of villain, though. He's supposed to be a sin, for goodness sake! Then again, there's the whole thing Lust said about Homuinculi being relatively close to humans.

Does anyone else think he looks a bit older, too? Like, even from ten chapters ago? Or is that just me?

Hmmm... Can't wait for the next chapter!

--------------------

Credit goes to Causmicfire for my avatar

The Royai Day party might be over, but the fun never stops!
Royai Day 2011 Album
Thank you to all those who contributed!

+Quote Post
edxwinryfan
post Oct 11 2008, 09:36 AM
Post #20

Apprentice

Member No.: 59,190

Again like in chapter 87 i wanted there to be Edxwin but of course Ed and Winry are not together so having EdxWin is hopeless crybaby.gif Hopefully before the end of the year there will be more EdxWin, this chapter was still pretty good i guess thumbup1.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Oct 11 2008, 09:39 AM
Post #21

State Alchemist (Major)

Mei, on the other hand, I do not like. She's gone over to the dark side, that one, and Envy didn't promise her cookies-- just the world.

Either you're confusing May for Lin and Envy for Greed, or you are trying to make us believe the less believable lies I've ever heard laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Celeste Nayamash...
post Oct 11 2008, 10:19 AM
Post #22

Alchemists

Member No.: 52,278

QUOTE(edxwinryfan @ Oct 11 2008, 11:36 AM) *
Again like in chapter 87 i wanted there to be Edxwin but of course Ed and Winry are not together so having EdxWin is hopeless crybaby.gif Hopefully before the end of the year there will be more EdxWin, this chapter was still pretty good i guess thumbup1.gif

Well of course there wouldn't be in this chapter. Winry's in Resembool where Ed is not. However, provided Ed lives, I won't doubt their will be. His last words were to have her bake him an apple pie and keep it warm for him when he comes back. He also needs to give her her earrings back as well. ^_~

All in all this was a really awesome chapter! I was super surprised to see that Pride is "fond" of the woman he calls "mother." Very interesting. Don't despair yet Automne! You never know what Arakawa may have up her sleeve in regards to Pride. He hasn't been in the story for very long now. ^_~

--------------------

My DeviantArt My Fanfiction
Siggy made by me! EdxWin is <3 Avatar made by CeruleanSan <3
"Even when our eyes our closed, there's a whole world out there, that lives outside ourselves and our dreams."
Formerly known as WinryRockbell_83

+Quote Post
Sensenic
post Oct 11 2008, 12:29 PM
Post #23

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 11,694

Yaaay! unexpectedly early raw and all!!

Thanks Ropespinner, Causmic Fire and Hisshou!

Al rocks, man.
Unexpected? Greed treason!
And it seems we're getting Kimbley vs Scar (part 2) next...

And I think that's all I have to say for the moment...

Also, did Ed also mention the "heroes are supposed to be late" line at some point in the past? (pointing once again how similar father and son are) or am I remembering wrong?

QUOTE(Automne @ Oct 11 2008, 12:41 PM) *
[rant]I'm once again reminded of how unimpressive of a villain Pride is. The battle at the beginning just lacked action and was overall uninteresting; it had this 'rushed' feeling some chapters held in the past, and Arakawa's attempt at giving Selim 'depth' by making him seem more 'human' lacked originality (and wtf with that dialogue with Al? Some parts were just really akward). At this point I'll just hope she kills him off fast, because that's truly wasting the potential of what could have been a very good antagonist, IMO.[/rant]

Well, at least the end of this chapter promises the next ones to be a bit more lively. Let's hope she won't get rid of Kimblee too fast (or at all. Not every enemies have to go).

Funnily, even when I used to feel this rushedness a lot, now I think it has the right pacing back again... I think Arakawa DID rush things to get to this point, but now that we're here, at the final climax, it's logic for it to be faster....

As for Pride, underwhelming? No, he might have been beaten apparently fast, but look at it... He can't be beaten on a physical fight... Even Hohenheim himself was scared to face him directly. The only one who could keep up was Ed with his hardened arm, but he wouldn't have lasted much, fighting at his best as he was, and all he could do was defend anyway. The good guys so far have only won each "round" outsmarting him, relying on well-timed one-time tricks (turning off lights, light bombs), and even with all that Pride was pretty confident (well, he is proud... ;p ) all the time and the "good guys" were the ones fighting for their lives till the end. And the victory cost them one important ally.

Were you expecting a longer fight perhaps? Given how FMA's fights have always been fast paced (one, two chapters at most), and, well, this is not a fighting manga, I don't think this was going to be different.
More drama, perhaps? Given the current "positive" trend of the good guys getting better and better, along with manga's message of the brothers' maturing and improving, and their allies along with them, again, this didn't hint much at the possibility of this fight being different either.

Finally, I think that, just like with Wrath, this won't be the last we'll see of him.

I'll agree that him having the soft side for her mum might be out of character, specially after having told Wrath he had spent too much time around humans, when he himself had been passing as a human all along and was still a proud, EVILmwhwhahwahwa tongue.gif hommunculus. But it's not completely illogical either, and it builds up for one beatiful last scene for the whole Bradley family...

--------------------
貧乳神・・・

+Quote Post
jacksparrow589
post Oct 11 2008, 01:35 PM
Post #24

Special Ops (Piratical Gallery Enforcement)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 48,158

Sannom- Yeah. Never mind. I read that chapter wrong and let my imagination get away with me. I did mean Mei and Envy, but now that I'm more awake, I don't have a good idea as to why, other than that the last time I saw them, they were together... I think...

I'm not going to break my brain over it thogh. I'll just admit my mistake and move on. Happy?

--------------------

Credit goes to Causmicfire for my avatar

The Royai Day party might be over, but the fun never stops!
Royai Day 2011 Album
Thank you to all those who contributed!

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Oct 11 2008, 01:52 PM
Post #25

State Alchemist (Major)

Lol, it's okay, no harm intented laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Anzu Mazaki
post Oct 11 2008, 02:53 PM
Post #26

Citizen

Member No.: 14,312

Wow when I was reading it I was just starting to wonder where the heck Kimblee disappeared off too and look who shows up in the last page? ^__^

+Quote Post
CodenameElizabet...
post Oct 13 2008, 09:28 PM
Post #27

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 41,714

SCANTALATION GET!!!

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/88/

--------------------

BONES SHIPS ROIAI. (We have Proof.)

+Quote Post
Animeoldtimer
post Oct 14 2008, 05:26 AM
Post #28

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 8,503

Thanks CodenameElizabeth! biggrin.gif

I liked this chapter. My favorite line in it was Hohenheim's: "Don't mock my son!" I'm glad to see he cares. biggrin.gif

I also enjoyed the development of Al's character. I love the parts where he stands on his own and is his own man. Ed does need to chill out on his father though.

--------------------
"Funny how you can say something in your head and it sounds fine... "--The Doctor

+Quote Post
Turdaewen
post Oct 14 2008, 02:41 PM
Post #29

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,395

QUOTE(jacksparrow589 @ Oct 11 2008, 12:27 PM) *
Selim/Pride tripping over the helmet was pretty funny. I had to read it twice to make myself beleive that he had done that though. Personally, I don't think he's quite fleshed out yet. I preferred him as a non-fleshed out, psychotic type of villain, though. He's supposed to be a sin, for goodness sake! Then again, there's the whole thing Lust said about Homuinculi being relatively close to humans.

Yeah... I thought about that at first, too... But once I gave a real thought about it, it made perfect sense to me.

Pride is the first of the seven sins and the 'mother' of all others. And it's even MORE dangerous because it's not something as clearly bad as most the other sins. It's easily forgotten or even appreciated. It can be translated as selfishness.
People don't revolt about it automatically as they usually do with Lust or Greed or Wrath: it's an attractive kind of sin. And that's why it's so dangerous, cause you can easily be mislead by it.
And its appearance is not as aggressive as the other sins. It's not the kind of sin that will destroy you through 'crushing', it destroys you through corruption and lack of humility. It's corrosive.

I think Arakawa was really smart in putting that sin as a child, which looks innocent, but at the same time is completely self-centered. And also an entity of shadows, which is something intangible, incontrollable and, at the same time, something that seems harmless at first sight. It will not hurt you, but prevent you from seeing clearly, take away your capacity to act.

So, most certainly, is not the kind of enemy which will attack you head on, but has a more psychological effect.

--------------------

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
"By the power of truth I, while living, have conquered the universe"
Faust, Göethe

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post Oct 14 2008, 03:10 PM
Post #30

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

These past chapters are getting me a little bit back into my old FMA spirit. I was so proud of Al when he thought up that plan to trap Pride! Hoho was awesome, too.

Mrs. Bradley has broken down another homonculus! Interesting that Pride actually likes her...

I hope he isn't defeated this easily, though.

AND HALLELUIA KIMBLEE'S BACK! It's about time! Now where the hell is Mei?????!!! I'm still very worried about her...what is Envy trying to trick her into doing at Central???

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2016 - 07:06 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css