HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 60: Eye Of Heaven, Gateway Of Earth - Content Discussion Thread, Warning, possible spoilers for the first 60 episodes
zonkiethegreat
post Jun 6 2010, 08:58 PM
Post #31

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 55,197

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Jun 6 2010, 04:35 PM) *
The gun was not in the manga I take it? My memory is a bit hazy.

Yeah the gun was in the manga.
Here: http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/104/11/
I don't find it as cartoonish as PenguinTruth does though. I see it as a bit more maniacal on Father's side. He was gleefully trying to kill Mei.

I thought the Scar/Wrath fight was WAY better in the manga. Meh.

Is it me? Or does the "black and white" coloring of the manga make it feel much more grim and important? I dunno maybe I'm just gloomy because the last chapter is out this week....sad.gif

--------------------

Visit the Roy X Winry fansite : http://royxwinry.weebly.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zonkiethegreat
post Jun 6 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #32

Alchemists

QUOTE (Vagrant @ Jun 6 2010, 11:55 PM) *
Also, looking at this storyline again, I think it's safe to say the story in FMA did officially go off the rails a bit with this Father stuff. Too much crazy, too many plot devices. :\

(I almost wish Gring had somehow succeeded in messing up Father's plan and they all miss the eclipse and then it goes from there with the final battle with Father in his normal mode.)

You know, although I LOVE the FMA manga, I can't help but agree to a certain level with you. I also kinda feel like Father's ambitions are just...uuuhhh....too unbelievable??? I know this is anime and its a fantasy, but seriously?? GOD??? YOU CONSUME GOD??? HOW-Wha-??? *throws hands up in defeat* Okey-Dokey. Fine I'll accept it, even though WOW its crazy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Jun 6 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #33

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

^ I like it.
The only anime/manga I read that's come close to Fathers I can has god is in Soul Eater, with BlackStar always going around boasting that he wants to surpass God. Which makes me giggle. XP

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Jun 7 2010, 02:30 AM
Post #34

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

QUOTE (zonkiethegreat @ Jun 7 2010, 05:58 AM) *

Yeah the gun was in the manga. Here:

Oh yeah, thanks ^^ It does look a bit more serious in the manga, though.

-----

I agree that FMA went all kinds of over the top crazy a bit into the 100's, in a way that made it a bit hard to take seriously at times. It was a turn in a completely different direction from what the series had been thus far, IMO. All realism went out the window. And yes, the subsequent fighting felt a tad cartoonish, or "DBZ", as some people have made comparisons to (I haven't watched Dragonball, but I get exactly whatcha mean by that. Hadoukens and energy shields and whatnot.) Still, at least regarding the craziness factor, when a story has felt so (relatively) realistic and been focused on the depictions of characters and relationships, all the insane mindf*!@ing has an even bigger impact, in a good way.

I find it hard to explain, but I’ll try; In one way, because everything has been so realistic and believable so far, it feels misfit, out of place. But in another way, again because everything has been so realistic, it’s just all that more… great.

Sometimes that’s life for you. What you’ve made up to be your own reality, your perception of your life, can be completely shattered by a single event. And what do you do, when that happens, even if it seems insane or unbelievable to you, even if you don’t want to believe it? You deal.

Of course, what happens in FMA is extreme, but what I’m trying to do here is make a point. When the unbelievable happens to believable characters, it’ll have all that more effect, making the insane feel just as insane to the characters involved as it does to the reader. As opposed to if the the characters and the universe had been just as crazy, cartoonish and implausible from the start. Or something like that.
I feel like I’m not really getting anywhere with this, so I’ll just stop XD Stupid language barrier, I probably don't make any sense whatsoever XD

Either way, the anime makes at least the events of this episode seem less insane than it was in the manga, for some reason. Dunno why. Maybe it’s just because I’ve already gone through the “WTF”-phase. Yeah, that seems likely. Could be the music, too, that makes it feel dramatic and sad, rather than just downright crazy like I felt it was when I read the manga. I don't know. I feel I'm rambling. I need breakfast lol.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
cherry-chan. :D
post Jun 7 2010, 04:23 AM
Post #35

Citizen

From: a relatively small country at the South East of Xing. 8D
Member No.: 69,870

The episodes are surely getting better and better! This was awesome.

- I find the Maria/Denny reunion cute. But the music for that part was a bit.. eh? Idk, while I was happy that Denny finally sees for himself that Maria's alive, the bgm when he was like, "Second Lieutenaaaaant!" made me go, "Aww--wait, HUH?!" XDDD
- AlMei? XD
- Man, Father pushing Hoho's face back made me lol, considering where Hoho's head really was. XDDD *bricked*
- That woman. Geez. She sounded like she was going to be raped--like what many have already said. XD It annoyed me, somewhat.
- Yay, Izumi's crossbow! <3
- Oh no, everyone's dying! --I was at the edge of my seat at that moment. Too bad they didn't show Gracia and Elysia, but seeing the other characters made up for it, I suppose. (Mrs. Bradley... Hmm, if I remember correctly, there was a plate of sandwiches in front of her. XD)
- That General... what was his name? Clemin? Haha, he really freaked out. So much it makes me laugh. I'm sorry. XDDD

---well, that's just some stuff I remember thinking while I was watching it. Anyway, most of you guys have already mentioned a lot of stuff I also agree with. XD

Great episode. I hope they keep up this good quality of animation for the remaining episodes, if not better. (Though from the preview, I think it's going to be epic. XD)

+Quote Post
Mr. Deathy
post Jun 7 2010, 07:06 AM
Post #36

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,164

Episode episode. Really had that level of punch and impact that other episodes for huge moments had been lacking. Music and direction was spot on.

If I have one complaint it's that they kind of missed the mark with the black ball of energy expanding from Father. It consumed some guards and people outside but really it was only meant to serve to show which characters would survive within it and not be absorbed into the transmutation, which is why Wrath and Scar are still alive and fighting after Father activates the circle.

Also I always liked Gruman's salute and "Ashes to ashes" so it's a shame that was gone.

Anyway as a whole though probably the most intense episode of the series. They'll struggle to outdo this though so I really hope they can pull off the last episodes as well.

I still have no idea how they're going to pace 61 well. Yes, the animation looks good, but that'll mean nothing if it's too fast.

+Quote Post
TheSentinel
post Jun 7 2010, 07:16 AM
Post #37

Citizen

Member No.: 44,527

Good episode.

A few thoughts:

-Wrath... such an awesome character. It's really interesting that wrath/anger is one of the least "controlled" emotions and yet his character for nearly the entire series is generally calm, collected, and about to WTFPWNU. His entire life has been controlled since even before he became a Homunculus, and became more so afterward. Now with his fight with Scar though... his job is over and he's dying, he can now just cut loose because as far as he's concerned since to him nothing matters anymore. He's been the implacable man with a purpose throughout the whole series and now he can finally just go berserk.

Others have mentioned Scar not slipping on blood, I do miss that as well. Wrath gets the two shoulder slashes in by skill, his stabbing Scar with the broken sword was more luck.

-End of the World (as we know it) While almost a jump the shark moment, FMA still pulls it off, In My Not So Humble Opinion. Father, the first homunculus, was created in, or pulled into, this "universe" via alchemy and some of Hoho's blood. I don't think Arakawa has officially stated whether father was created or from the "truth/gate dimension." His similarity to Truth as he absorbs more and more souls seems to indicate a relation or some sort... or the more souls you absorb the more "Truthy" you become???? /shrug. In any case, that would at least validate his reasons for "eating god." Can't wait to see how the end turns out.

Just my 2 cents.

--------------------
Tomorrow's forecast:
An expected high of 68 degrees, partly cloudy, with a chance of DOOM!

+Quote Post
Mr. Deathy
post Jun 7 2010, 07:36 AM
Post #38

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,164

I think people misinterpret the whole "consuming God" thing.

We're supposed to pay more attention to the dialogue Homunculus speaks before he opens the gate, about opening the world's gate and gaining the true knowledge of the universe.

That's the "God" he refers to, the "truth" of life. By containing the fundamental knowledge of the universe within himself, he has an incredible level of control to the depth of the laws of physics as he's aware of all information regarding them, hence why he can create Nuclear Fusion, control the weather, etc.

Seemingly containing such vast knowledge requires an incredible amount of energy, which makes sense. To comfortably contain it, he needed the energy of every human in the country.

+Quote Post
zonkiethegreat
post Jun 7 2010, 02:43 PM
Post #39

Alchemists

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Jun 7 2010, 05:30 AM) *
QUOTE (zonkiethegreat @ Jun 7 2010, 05:58 AM) *

Yeah the gun was in the manga. Here:

Oh yeah, thanks ^^ It does look a bit more serious in the manga, though.

-----

I agree that FMA went all kinds of over the top crazy a bit into the 100's, in a way that made it a bit hard to take seriously at times. It was a turn in a completely different direction from what the series had been thus far, IMO. All realism went out the window. And yes, the subsequent fighting felt a tad cartoonish, or "DBZ", as some people have made comparisons to (I haven't watched Dragonball, but I get exactly whatcha mean by that. Hadoukens and energy shields and whatnot.) Still, at least regarding the craziness factor, when a story has felt so (relatively) realistic and been focused on the depictions of characters and relationships, all the insane mindf*!@ing has an even bigger impact, in a good way.

I find it hard to explain, but Iíll try; In one way, because everything has been so realistic and believable so far, it feels misfit, out of place. But in another way, again because everything has been so realistic, itís just all that moreÖ great.

Sometimes thatís life for you. What youíve made up to be your own reality, your perception of your life, can be completely shattered by a single event. And what do you do, when that happens, even if it seems insane or unbelievable to you, even if you donít want to believe it? You deal.

Of course, what happens in FMA is extreme, but what Iím trying to do here is make a point. When the unbelievable happens to believable characters, itíll have all that more effect, making the insane feel just as insane to the characters involved as it does to the reader. As opposed to if the the characters and the universe had been just as crazy, cartoonish and implausible from the start. Or something like that.
I feel like Iím not really getting anywhere with this, so Iíll just stop XD Stupid language barrier, I probably don't make any sense whatsoever XD

Either way, the anime makes at least the events of this episode seem less insane than it was in the manga, for some reason. Dunno why. Maybe itís just because Iíve already gone through the ďWTFĒ-phase. Yeah, that seems likely. Could be the music, too, that makes it feel dramatic and sad, rather than just downright crazy like I felt it was when I read the manga. I don't know. I feel I'm rambling. I need breakfast lol.

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Jun 7 2010, 03:26 PM
Post #40

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

QUOTE (Mr. Deathy @ Jun 7 2010, 03:36 PM) *
That's the "God" he refers to, the "truth" of life. By containing the fundamental knowledge of the universe within himself, he has an incredible level of control to the depth of the laws of physics as he's aware of all information regarding them, hence why he can create Nuclear Fusion, control the weather, etc.

Seemingly containing such vast knowledge requires an incredible amount of energy, which makes sense. To comfortably contain it, he needed the energy of every human in the country.

Definitely. That's what makes it so bone-chillingly scary and awesome.

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Jun 8 2010, 02:30 AM
Post #41

Member No.: 55,758

QUOTE (zonkiethegreat @ Jun 7 2010, 11:43 PM) *
TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU.

Lol really? That was unexpected haha :P

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Jun 8 2010, 04:55 AM
Post #42

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

^Haha I agree with what you said too, you put it much better than I could have!

+Quote Post
Kasumisty
post Jun 8 2010, 05:41 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 59,111

I think it's one of the darkest (if not the darkest) episode of the series. I loved the choice of music. The whole dragging God to the Earth was breathtaking. Wow, Father as nationwide, black creature. Scary sh**.

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post
hilary
post Jun 8 2010, 06:30 AM
Post #44

FMA Information Liaison

Member No.: 48,256

hi everybody~~ : P
I've just found some scenes about Edward fight against pride
and what's the main point I want to say..
is there are some scenes that look very same as episode 48!!
* 0 *..that's really funny I think XD
and I've post the comparing scenes s of two episode
in Baidu
here's the link
http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=792561494

I hope you all will agree with my point of view tongue.gif

--------------------
just call me --> hil~ o w o

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Jun 8 2010, 07:44 AM
Post #45

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

^Dang, was the whole freakin' fight scene just paralleled with the one before? I can't believe I didn't notice, but now that you mention, I THOUGHT I felt a vague sense of de ja vu.

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2016 - 08:44 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css