HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 10: Separate Destinations - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! Spoilers for the first 10 episodes!!
crazyanimefan
post Jun 7 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #31

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 64,696

I cried this episode. While the actual killing did in fact make me tear (the blood on the Hughes family photo was beyond creepy), what really made me cry was Elysia at the funeral. A little girl who doesnt have any idea what is going on and why her father will never come back. The VAs did an excellent job this episode. I really liked the end, with the Elrics and Winry just laughing because it really contrasted against the serious mood and also how it set up the dramatic reactions later. Overall, it was excellent.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheGreed
post Jun 7 2009, 03:51 PM
Post #32

Citizen

Member No.: 67,670

Does anybody know why the subs are taking so long? :S i never like watching the raw versions but i may end up doing that as i've been really excited for this episode.

+Quote Post
Pyroluminescence
post Jun 7 2009, 04:21 PM
Post #33

Citizen

Member No.: 69,344

QUOTE (TheGreed @ Jun 7 2009, 04:51 PM) *
Does anybody know why the subs are taking so long? :S i never like watching the raw versions but i may end up doing that as i've been really excited for this episode.

Eclipse just released fansubs. TOOK LONG ENOUGH, dinnit it?

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post Jun 7 2009, 04:30 PM
Post #34

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

Oooh could you PM me a link please!?

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
vfdj24
post Jun 7 2009, 06:05 PM
Post #35

Citizen

Member No.: 69,305

Maybe the subs are taking too long because everyone's crying too hard and keep getting through the episode? I'm sad just thinking about it.

+Quote Post
Sword Alchemist
post Jun 7 2009, 06:52 PM
Post #36

Alchemists

Member No.: 17,591

Awesome, they pulled this episode off very nicely.

It was so much more emotional than the first series. The way they showed Hughes trying to reach for the phone as he was dying and then saying sorry to Gracia and Elicia. WOW. What a great yet sad episode.

I hate Envy so much. And now poor Maria Ross has to take the blame in the near future.

+Quote Post
Full Metal Elf
post Jun 7 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #37

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 23,332

T_______________________T *blows nose*

This episode was done SO well! I loved the Bradley part in the beginning! lol It was so funny...

And...his death...it was just done so well.

I loved the Ishbal stuff in the beginning. I can't wait to see it in more detail later.

Can't wait for next week... ...so that after that we see Izumi! ^__^

--------------------

Proud member of the Anti-Shou movment....
Staff Member of M.S.A (Miniskirt Army)

+Quote Post
Jen_Elric
post Jun 7 2009, 07:26 PM
Post #38

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 9,551

Well, that was as great as I hoped it would be! It had so many manga panels! I'm so happy that I re-read the corresponding chapters last night.

-I like how the episode began, with Mustang and Hughes in Roy's Flashback/dream. The part when Bradley looks down at Roy, when Roy looks up at him was gold.
- Hughes saying goodbye to his family before going to work was sad (and cute, cuz of Elicia). I knew what was going to happen, so it was like twisting the knife.
-The kinda fight between Hughes and Lust was so quick and dark, I had to rewind it to see when she stabbed him! I thought I missed it!
-The whole phonebooth scene was mixed for me. I loved everything with Hughes trying to call Roy, Envy as Maria and then as Gracia, and Hughes's face when he sees "Gracia" holding a gun at him. I even loved the part when Hughes reaches up for the receiver, and Envy hangs it up.
But I didn't like the part when Hughes has his final words, then dies. It felt overdone. They should have left it like in the manga.
-The train scenes were nice.
-Ugh. The funeral scene. Elicia made me cry. And I loved how the angle was changed in the "It's raining" scene.
-The "Roy questions Armstrong" scene was exactly like the manga. Wonderfully played!

I forgot to mention that I loved how Al started shaking when Ed mentions their teacher! So cute!!

Next episode, Rush Valley. That should be interesting.

--------------------

Phyco-girl made my siggy! She's so cool! ^_^
My Family! (Wanna join the Elric family? Please PM me and I'll add you to the family list!)
Little Sisters: ~.:Anime Gal:.~, ~FMAgurl~, Kit, Azura Elric, chocolate_eds_everywhere, Kakashi's#1 girlfriend, FullMetalAlchemist01FAN, Kal Rommel
Brothers:«°~Envy™~°», Mustang's apprentice, niagra flame, Jamal Mana alchemist, bloodlust alchemist

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post Jun 7 2009, 08:01 PM
Post #39

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

OMG This episode absolutely had me in tears. It was so well executed. Hughes whole death scene was a lot more emotionally gripping than the original...it truly was. So absolutely heartbreaking and Winry and the Elrics totally oblivious to it all...;____; Well done, Bones. Keep up the awesome work as you're doing so now.

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Jun 7 2009, 08:08 PM
Post #40

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

I actually squealed when I saw the preview for the next episode. I can't wait to see the scene with Ed and Winry! Oooh, that's gonna be great! It'll be good to have a nice comic relief episode, too.

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post Jun 7 2009, 08:26 PM
Post #41

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 52,558

I thought I would try not to cry this episode, but it didn't work at all. The phone booth scene where Hughes reaches for the phone wasn't in the first series right? I lost it at the burial scene. Poor Elycia. I thought the episode was beautifully done.
And of course the "it's raining" scene had me bawling/

Next weeks episode will at least be funnier and more light.

+Quote Post
Animeoldtimer
post Jun 7 2009, 08:30 PM
Post #42

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 8,503

Excellent episode! I noticed the name "Olivier" used in the code Hughes gave to the operator. Interesting.
I really like how Ed and Winry interact in this series. I think it's better than the original series. I also like the scenes with Roy and Riza. Although, Riza seems a bit soft to me. I guess we haven't see her in her true colors yet, but that's my initial impression.

I'm looking forward to the next episode, too. biggrin.gif

Thanks to all who bring us the episodes and subs!

--------------------
"Funny how you can say something in your head and it sounds fine... "--The Doctor

+Quote Post
Tsuppi
post Jun 7 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #43

Citizen

Member No.: 32,904

@Animeoldtimer: Olivier ? Really? Also I read that the code he used, USO800, has significance to what he was trying to call about, since uso = lie.

Before I delve into the several notes and (dis)likes epi 10 of FMAB spawned for me, overall, I must say....
I LOVE STUDIO BONES WITH ALL MY HEART!! GYAH! How could you make something so perfect for me?!
[viva original manga storyline]
Their character designs and backgrounds, among other things, are awesome.
In this episode, they were great as always.

The adaptation was faithful to the manga and more importantly, honest. Someone mentioned that it was all meant to be crude and abrupt and shocking. Can't disagree. Anyway, back to my point--the manga was followed chronology-wise faithfully, except for the flashback (anyone notice how crisp and bright they made the colours in the normal scenes, compared to flashbacks and dreams?) and placing Scar's dream and awakening at the slums in episode 9 (a perfect thing to have done, since everything that had gone on beforehand was about how family can stick together--since Scar's family didn't quite stick together).

• The start where Roy was just leaning in his chair and conversing with Riza--enough to convince me, this episode will be good. I mean, Roy just sitting there is damn cool. tongue.gif (in all seriousness, the animation is damn cool, that's what)
    side note: almost ironic how Roy says 'boring flashback.' I have two issues: JUST? c'mon. BORING? oh, geez, the Ishbal War flashbacks are my personal favourites of the whole manga!
  • OMG THE HOSPITAL SCENE: Maria's reaction to the Führer is... <3!!
    MELON! biggrin.gif Ed's reaction = LOL
    Bradley's twofacedness definitely shows.... Also, he looks like a relative of mine if I made 'im angry....
  • EDXWINRY: Lovers' spat! happy.gif
    Al is back to normal, as well.
  • EXTRA FAMILY MOMENT (I read the corresponding manga just before the epi, and why do the Hughes have an apartment rather than IIRC in a condo/house thing as the manga had it? who cares it's beautifully drawn): dig a fork into my heart, will ya?
    And for something completely different: WINRY'S HAIR IS ALIVE. How well could you possibly animate her bowing? Gosh!! <3
  • TRAIN SCENES: the music grinding to a halt is effing classic. And later on at the very end of the epi, they did not have Maes waving. I don't much care for that addition of FMA1's. But it was fitting, right? I guess the fact is, they're not riding on pure melodrama but trying to help develop Roy's character--he lives longer. sad.gif
  • MAES' EPIPHANY: his reaction, compared to the manga, is different (he doesn't quite jump from his seat), but it is a purfect juxtaposition to his lively demeanour in the family moment.
  • THE MOMENT: His blade and where Maes hid it was foreshadowed in, I believe, episode 7, when he met with Ed and Al in the liberry. Totally knew what that was for. They animated the blood dripping as he staggered. Love. As for the phonebooth scene, the "camera" direction was amazing.
    And Maes' last words? Omigod. It's definitely something that could have been added by Arakawa but of course, wasn't. It's an adaptor's job to try to mine the depths the sourcework and see where they can find some gold. But I think the "I couldn't keep the promise" wasn't quite so lustrous. Should have cut it short.

It started with Roy being awesome and ended that way. The focus of episode 10 was making it understood why Roy would want to be so vengeful which is something I, having neglected the manga for months beforehand, knew F-all about until I read chapter 95. Roy's face was scar-ee.

Go BONES. Go Arakawa-sensei.
Go LIFE. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Tsuppi//Signe

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Jun 7 2009, 09:51 PM
Post #44

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

I wish they'd make Bradleys seem less obviously evil. Roy's flashback and his telling them not to speak about the information came off way too sinister. And this is after what we saw from him in that first episode.
Still, hah at his "escape".

Al's shaking and Ed's fear talking about Izumi was adorable. (I also liked the way the music almost had a record scratch effect as mortality dawned on Ed)
As was Al's celebration at the promise of Winry cooking him that pie.

Might have had something to do with the quality I was watching, but the building Hughes was in was drawn awfully. Mismatched lines and broken perspective. And the animation didn't seem too good in that Ishbal bit at the beginning.
However from Hughe's funeral onwards, the episode looked really good. Mainly down to lighting effects and the like.

I just didn't like the way Hughes' death was handled. :\
For one thing, him hobbling away was fairly dodgy to me. I mean, I know it otherwise was almost exactly from the manga, except with that unecessary bit with him getting last words (Envy wouldn't have finished him off immediately?), as penguintruth noted. And the insert with Envy hanging up. Which I kind of liked, but think it seems a little plotholey. (no checking for fingerprints or any actual reason for doing it?)

The funeral scene was something of a disappointment too. The music wasn't fantastic. And although again, perfectly copied from the manga, the things Elysia was saying and Bradley shaking just didn't have the emotional impact I always envisioned. :\

On the other hand, Roy's lines afterwards and the talk on the train were fantastic.

I also liked Roy figuring Armstrong's hints. Possibly a sign of how they'll handle the cold war-esque information passing that comes up much later in the story.

And in the manga, here was the bit with Scar having a Kimbley flashback and waking up in the Ishbal slum.
On that note, I liked the flashback being put into the beginning of this episode. It helps sort out the story a bit more, I guess. It's weird how FMA's exposition gets muddled in my mind due to rereading and having watched the show and such.

Anyway, I plan on watching how the original anime handled all this for comparison.

Also, NOT looking forward to next week's episode. >_<

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
FullMetalFist
post Jun 7 2009, 10:41 PM
Post #45

Citizen

Member No.: 50,694

I was very disappointed with this episode, I think Hughes's death was not dramatic enough(his funeral is what I am referring to). I really did not feel it, the original series sold his death a lot more. It had the booming music at his funeral and it was much more devastating. They really got to up their music. It just did not do it for me, I wish it would have had a little more sadness to it. The actual death scene looked good, with his blood oozing onto his family picture. I really did not care for the way he was shot, your telling me he froze up over envy turning into his wife so he would die and never see his real wife again. Ya I know envy would have killed him eventually any way considering she does not die like a human being. I almost felt like hughes died like a wimp and that makes me sad. I know it follows the manga, but that is how I feel. I sleep on it and think about is some more and see if I change my mind.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2016 - 06:22 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css