HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
News & Events In The World: Please Post Any Notable News/events To Bring To Our Attention Here!
Chiyo
post Sep 24 2007, 07:18 AM
Post #1

Moderator Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,466

There is lots of news everyday, all over the world, affecting many people. In some cases, news in one country will spill over to another, especially in terms of war, natural disasters and celebrities getting married/divorced/drunk.

To try and cover all of this, I hope that people will discuss the news within this thread to save clutter and to help those who may know little about a story find out more. If it is likely a story will lead to great debate, a debate topic may be a better idea, otherwise post what you think and know here so we may all know about the news from around the world.

Won't you feel so much better for that?

Silly stories may still go into the 'Crazy News' thread

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Oct 7 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #2

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7032971.stm
Anyone got anyother news on this?

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Oct 8 2007, 02:44 AM
Post #3

Moderator Emeritus

I heard about that this morning, all I knew at the time was that the gunman had reportedly been in a fight with his girlfriend, its horrific how insane people can go. Was the gun his own or given to him as part of being a part-time Sherriff?

--------------------

+Quote Post
joanne45
post Oct 12 2007, 02:54 AM
Post #4

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 41,464

Yesterday afternoon there's a tornado across the Bay (between San Francisco and Oakland) on rainy days...believe me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Nov 8 2007, 03:39 AM
Post #5

Moderator Emeritus

Finnish School Shooting

Sod a Death Note, this natural selector prefers a gun and youtube.

"I'm a natural selector and will eliminate all those I see as unfit," Sturmgeist89 wrote on You Tube recently.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zalamist
post Nov 8 2007, 08:18 AM
Post #6

Citizen

Member No.: 50,880

QUOTE(Chiyo @ Nov 8 2007, 03:39 AM) *
Finnish School Shooting

Sod a Death Note, this natural selector prefers a gun and youtube.

"I'm a natural selector and will eliminate all those I see as unfit," Sturmgeist89 wrote on You Tube recently.

I have a 14 year old sister who fails to see how people who post these kinds of comments are dangerous. She reluctantly agrees to ban them from her myspace friends lists and delete their inappropriate comments when I send her messages, but this kind of stuff worries me. I've explained the dangers many times and always send her these stories. It's a very scary world out there and there are just so many people who post those kinds of comments.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Nov 9 2007, 02:06 AM
Post #7

Moderator Emeritus

I suppose in many cases it is just people showing off, thinking they will win approval by sounding dangerous...I'm sure anyone who read the comments really didn't believe he was actually about to go kill people.

However it does highlight that while in most cases its an idiot, in rare cases it is a real pyscho

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rhynd
post Nov 10 2007, 04:47 AM
Post #8

Citizen

Member No.: 50,391

As usual, this tragedy has sparked the classic debate on TV where they blame these incidents on guns, video-games and the internet.

And in stead of trying to find out what drives a young man to such heinous actions, many politicians tries to ban everything they perceive to be harmful. It's always easier to find a scapegoat than to actually take a good hard look at ourselves and the society we live in.

Between the fanatic "Let's ban everything!" zealots and the people using these incidents to push their political own agendas, it's hard to find sensible individuals out there.

--------------------

"Worth dying for. Worth killing for. Worth going to hell for. Amen"
- Marv, The Hard Goodbye.

+Quote Post
Zalamist
post Nov 10 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #9

Citizen

Member No.: 50,880

I agree with you, Rhynd. They've already created all of the rating systems and banned more than enough things in my opinion. They need to refocus their efforts.

I feel that it couldn't hurt for them to increase the education for parents and younger children about computers/internet safety. In the case of my sister she had her computer and was online a couple of years by the time they talked to her about the dangers of internet stalkers and the like at school. Our mother has never been on a computer and was under the assumption that since my sister is home, safe within the house, there was nothing to worry about. It wasn't until the phone bill had calls to Hawaii, California, and all over the country that the beacon lit up that there might be a problem.

Also, a lot of people look online to post how they feel and to escape real life problems. Sometimes someone will listen and help that person calm down, but there are others out there who would encourage the person to lash out. There are all kinds of telephone support systems set up that will counsel and listen for free and would be a safe source to call - I wonder if it might help to have some kind of internet based service that would do the same? If there already is something set up, it should be made a household name.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Citteh
post Nov 22 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #10

Citizen

Member No.: 45,678

QUOTE(Rhynd @ Nov 10 2007, 04:47 AM) *
As usual, this tragedy has sparked the classic debate on TV where they blame these incidents on guns, video-games and the internet.

And in stead of trying to find out what drives a young man to such heinous actions, many politicians tries to ban everything they perceive to be harmful. It's always easier to find a scapegoat than to actually take a good hard look at ourselves and the society we live in.

Between the fanatic "Let's ban everything!" zealots and the people using these incidents to push their political own agendas, it's hard to find sensible individuals out there.

I heard a quote going with that theme today. "There is so much comedy on T.V. today why isn't there comedy on the streets?" (or something along the lines of that) "Making fun of There is so much violence on T.V. today and it causes violence on the streets." ( rolleyes.gif )

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Dec 27 2007, 10:48 AM
Post #11

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7161590.stm
This isn't going to be pretty.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
zuppi
post Dec 27 2007, 11:12 AM
Post #12

Citizen

Member No.: 49,349

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Dec 27 2007, 05:48 PM) *

Bloody hell.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Tris the Reaper_*
post Dec 27 2007, 11:58 AM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Dec 27 2007, 11:48 AM) *

I never even heard of the woman up until today. huh.gif

But indeed. We're/they're screwed.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Feb 12 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #14

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

~ 2010 Winter Olympics!! ~

Since we don't have "Sport" forum, anyone who would like to discuss about or post any comments on any of the events in 2010 Winter Olympics (begins Friday, Feb. 12, 2010, and concludes Sunday, Feb. 28, 2010) please post on this thread, and depending on the amount of posts (if any ^^) we may/may not find other venue, so to speak, such as opening a new thread dedicated for the topic, etc. smile.gif

To start, sadly, the game already had a deathly accident, as a Luge competitor from Georgia flew off the Luge track and died today during the training run. ohmy.gif You can read more about this accident here. sad.gif Hope the rest of the competitions would go accident-free.

===================
(Merged posts)

ETA: Feb. 28, 2010 8.8 Earthquake in Chile, and possible Tsunami

There was an 8.8 earthquake in Chile this morning (U.S. time.) and Tsunami is expected to hit Hawaii & other islands & Australia, Eastern Asian countries, American West coast, & Alaska, etc., etc. sometime today, to a varying degree, from less than an inch to a couple of feet and above in some parts of Hawaii. If you are in the affected area, please take precautions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 18 2010, 11:26 AM
Post #15

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

<Double posting for justice... the posts will be merged later>

~ The 19th FIFA World Cup!! ~

With the ending of the FMA manga series/upcoming ending of FMA:Brotherhood series, I forgot this completely Xp but yes, the 19th FIFA World Cup is on (June 11–July 11, 2010) and since we don't have "Sport" section anywhere (we are considering opening some thread/section for sport, but it has been set aside, so... for now..) Temporarily assigning this thread for FIFA discussions (if any ^^) smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2016 - 03:19 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css