Reply to this topicStart new topic
If Alphonse Was A Girl, No, seriously
Toby-Chan
post Apr 24 2005, 06:12 PM
Post #1

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,284

We all love Al, right? He's widespreadly loved for his patience, optimism, helpfulness and unconditional kindness.

Somehow, it seems, female characters with similar traits are frequently, even viciously hated. (See for example; Tohru from Fruits Basket) There's little tolerance among fans for meek or shy girls. (Sometimes, it's just an intolerance for girls in general, unless they have the ability to blow things up)

I suppose the point here, is that, as I've seen the argument in several topics, and thought some discussion about double standards might be in order.

So, theoretically, if Alphonse was with the same, only he was Edward's little sister, say, Alice, don't you suppose there might be more dislike for our younger Elric? That maybe there would be ridiculous fangirls posting on the gallery saying things along the lines of

"God, I hate Alice. She's such a useless character. She needed her brother to save her, and she should be grateful, but she can't fight worth crap and she's always getting kidnapped. And she's way too trusting of everyone. What an idiot. She's just a whiny little brat with a brother complex."

Similarly, if Edward had an old mechanic buddy back in Rizenbool, say "William", perhaps; a quirky energetic, happy-go-lucky kind of guy, who can't fight or do anything extraordinary, but still supports his friends, and cares about them, don't you suppose there'd be more comments about how cute it is that Edward has such a nice friend rather than complaints about uselesness, and how much time William spends with his shirt off?

Yeah, just a passing thought. I supposed people might want to add their opinions, positive, negative, or must-kill-Toby.

So, discuss!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hagane no Renzy
post Apr 24 2005, 06:14 PM
Post #2

Apprentice

Member No.: 8,256

Interesting....

I suppose Ed and Al--*cough* Alice's relationship would be a little different, but I wouldn't mind a bit. I'd just be brother/sister rather than brother/brother. And about the Winry/William thing? Well for one thing, EdxWinry would have a lot less fans. XD

--------------------
Quote of the Day:
"Zonkoku na tenshi no you ni...
Shonen yo shinwa ni nare..."
--Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cruel Angel's Thesis
Zio Animated Series
Zio the Matt! The comedy/action anime series created by me and my good friends! Episodes 1-8 complete...care to take a look? See them for free at the forums!
Mi Familia:
Kit- HELLO~!

+Quote Post
MasterKris
post Apr 24 2005, 06:16 PM
Post #3

Brigadier General

Member No.: 8,833

Hey, what da ya know, I was thinking of Ed having a little sister too. But except that Al is not the little sister. Both Ed and Al would hav a little sister of 4 years old. I imagin how they would act.............
I don't knowwwwwww, Ed might like his sister to death, Ed is not that mean....
He would act like Hughes and go around showing off his sister's cutness.
Ed having a little sister not might be bad, but FMA is all about brothers bond, not sisters bond.

--------------------
HYO!!
Known as the Sadistic Feedbacker. The Wise Spanish Apprentice of *~vachi~*
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Mas...-sensei-sig.png
Siggy & avvy made by me.

Visit My Manhwa/Manga Raws Thread!!

+Quote Post
Tobu Ishi
post Apr 25 2005, 11:08 AM
Post #4

Alchemists

Member No.: 6,815

I know exactly what you mean, and I've had this same conversation with my friends. There's an alarming amount of hate out there for "useless" girls. I for one do not find Winry useless at all. Has anyone noticed that the girl is a fantastic (though reckless) driver, an unusually skilled and innovative mechanic, and a talented inventor? If it's mechanical, she can make it dance the rumba on the head of a pin. But because she never got the chance in the anime to skewer anyone on a welding torch, she's considered "useless" by many fans. There are more skills out there than getting in fights and using alchemy, you know.

For that matter, yes, Al would probably be bashed to high heaven if he was female. He's sweet and soft-spoken and gentle and loves kitties and has a tendency to burst into tears over small things as well as large. As a female, he would be abhorred for these traits. As a male, he's just adorable.

--------------------

The Restoring Earth Alchemist
Big Sister to Chiyo, Little Sister to Tokage, Edward to WrenchFreakWinry

An Appetite For Grief Dividing the Bones Elysium FULLMETAL FOLLY
Good Neighbors Jaybird Letdown Mater Familias Mea Culpa Play With Me
Rosarium Seven Years The Shadow of Him Some Assembly Required Wired Wooden

<3 The EdWin 100 Themes <3
She remembers the way her inexplicably riveted gaze slid unbidden
down the curves of his back, slowly, like honey. And she particularly remembers
the rush of prickly heat, the unfamiliar melting sensation that made her duck
her head to hide a blush that caught her entirely by surprise; as she realized
for the first time, in an entirely new way, that Ed was a
boy.

Click here to read more...
THEY'RE STILL UPDATING! PLEASE DON'T FORGET THEM. ;_;

+Quote Post
Morgri
post Apr 25 2005, 02:43 PM
Post #5

Apprentice

Member No.: 11,690

Eh, I donno about the Winry thing, she is very useful, and I don't hate her at all. I think it's just because there are some many insanly *Innocent* females in animes that people kind of get tired of seeing them. I for one don't care, cause thats how Hinata is in the Naruto series. It seems more to me like it's the female fans who hate the girls like that, cause that's generally who is arguing it.

As far as the little sister thing, I donno... I'd rather it be how they made it sleep.gif Maybe a reverse in Ed and Al/ice personalities, or maybe not, who knows.

--------------------
user posted image

Visit my sig shop!

Onii-Chan to: ~.:Anime_Gal:.~

Little Red Ribbon

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Apr 25 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #6

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

A most interesting thing to think about.

I suppose a trait of the male is to be protective and strong, so when a male character isn't its refreshing and rather sweet.

Yet a girl is expected to be meek and delicate so it becomes irritating after a while. I for one love Winry because she is not these things. Riza shows a rather weak side in ep 51 but as she is usually strong it is accepted.

Ed is short, unusual, be we love him for it. This show is unique in that way really, going against the grain as it were. Yes if Al was a girl it probably would get irritating (for those who are picky about such things). Yet as people have said it would change the relationship to something like he shares with Armony, or would remain just a sweet, protective, caring relationship that annoyed some.

Phew, so much thinking.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Covah
post Apr 25 2005, 06:44 PM
Post #7

Citizen

Member No.: 12,426

That is kinda fun to think about.

Yeah...with his personality and all, I bet I really wouldn't like Al if he was a girl. I guess I just never thought of it that way before.

And what if Ed was a girl? >;O

--------------------
Random Country of the Month: Burma
user posted image
Might I say that that is the best thing I have ever seen in a manga. Ever.
Sister to ~FMAgurl~

+Quote Post
Jellybean
post Apr 25 2005, 07:41 PM
Post #8

Alchemists

Member No.: 11,397

You're absolutely right. I never really thought about it before, but I'll bet anything that if Al were a girl, he'd have hundreds of fangirls flaming him. I guess that's just the nature of fangirls. Maybe not though, it's not like Al is one of those characters who would be completely useless or obnoxious about it. I've been known to complain about damsels-in-distress (*ahem* Rose) and the loud ones like Sailor Moon or the girl from Fushigi Yuugi, but Al is just such a sweetie, and somehow manages to be adorable even as a giant suit of armor. BTW, who could hate Tohru-chan? I wish I knew more people like Al and Tohru in real life.

+Quote Post
Edo-mame
post Apr 25 2005, 11:53 PM
Post #9

Apprentice

Member No.: 9,481

I haven't read/seen Fruits Basket but I have seen what Toru looks like and I reeeeally want to poke her eyes out... and she almost ALWAYS has super huge ugly eyes and a stupid smile(from pics I've seen). I know its wrong to judge based on looks but her eyes are so distracting that I can't get past to understand her.

But as for Al, I didn't really find him to be the useless, trusting type. He is really nice and trusting and sensitive but far from useless. When Edo needs help or when he is placed in a situation where he can't get his act together Al ends up saving him instead(though it doesn't happen as much). At times it seems like Al would be the big brother because of how he handles certain situations(like remaining calm during the whole Nina tragedy, pulling his brother away from danger during their training when they were kids, etc...). Not to mention he is is stronger than Edo in a fight (even before the armor). If he were a girl, nothing much would change except he wouldn't be as cute. People get tired of the same old cute girls... theres too much of them.

--------------------
[center]
user posted image
[/center]

+Quote Post
Haldir of Lorien
post Apr 26 2005, 06:17 AM
Post #10

Apprentice

Member No.: 5,412

No offenese...this is a good topic ,but I like Al TO much to even think about what would happen if he was a girl.It would ruin the relationship beacause Older brother/younger sister relationships don't turn out so well.And it certanlly made me and my sister closer,we call each other brother's now instead of sisters

--------------------
IPB Image
I made this sig myself, and I am very proud of it,PM me if you ;d like me to make you one too.

+Quote Post
Hagane No Renkin...
post Apr 28 2005, 06:55 PM
Post #11

Citizen

Member No.: 11,962

Quote by Haldir of Lorien -" No offenese...this is a good topic ,but I like Al TO much to even think about what would happen if he was a girl.It would ruin the relationship beacause Older brother/younger sister relationships don't turn out so well.And it certanlly made me and my sister closer,we call each other brother's now instead of sisters"

Ya I also like al too much too think of him as a girl and Haldir of Lorien i completely agree with you

--------------------
IPB Image

sister to Legolas of Mirkwood
sister to Haldir of Lorien
sister to ~.:Anime_Gal:.~
sister to Chibi Riena
Step into the world of darkness (vampire game) -> http://www.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=11031605
Chronicles in Magic - A Harry Potter role play

+Quote Post
Fresh_Coffee
post Apr 29 2005, 01:21 PM
Post #12

Brigadier General

Member No.: 3,780

Tohru is the bomb, I hate the fact people hate her, she's so strong! About Al I've noticed this too but I don't really like Al that much anyway.

--------------------
<3'S2

Summer lovin<3

+Quote Post
Dreaming Goddess
post Apr 29 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #13

Citizen

Member No.: 12,603

Al being a girl...scary thought....

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image

+Quote Post
Haldir of Lorien
post Apr 29 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #14

Apprentice

Member No.: 5,412

@Hagne no Rekinjutsushi {ed}:HEHEHE thanks for your support LT! tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
I made this sig myself, and I am very proud of it,PM me if you ;d like me to make you one too.

+Quote Post
Heart Mending Al...
post Apr 29 2005, 07:14 PM
Post #15

Citizen

Member No.: 5,664

But what do you mean "but she can't fight worth crap"? Even Ed had never beaten Al...So he's good at fighting.

--------------------
I look in the mirror, though my tears, to see what's become of my life, but there's no light left. And that's how I've grown to see the world, though closed eyes.
user posted image
Little sis to Kayin and Mortari. YAY! We are family!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2016 - 12:53 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css