HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

34 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Are You Religious?
Are you religious?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 209
Guests cannot vote 
ἀρχή
post May 9 2006, 06:49 PM
Post #286

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,228

Regarding the textual criticism of the Bible in general(whether the bible is accurate to the original documents). I'm too lazy to re-write this, so I'll just quote myself tongue.gif

QUOTE(arche @ Jan 4 2006, 01:16 AM) [snapback]336662[/snapback]

....I know that there are many secular writings with far fewer manuscript evidence that is accounted as accurate portrayal of writers intension and time. It is an issue that there is not "original" document, but not a serious one. What is really at issue is whether the intension of the text is accurate to what the writer intended by analyzing multiple variations of a particular portion of text in a multitude of manuscripts. If you looked at a Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament, you'd see that half of every page of the New Testament is devoted to the documentation of varying manuscripts that make up a portion of text. By using the aparatus and knowing the history and lineage of manuscript families, one can make judgements about which variation is the "best fit". This is a short look at how translation and interpretation works with biblical documents.

My argument here is to say that even those manuscripts from secular sources have the same problems as the ones from the Bible. What is the earliest manuscript for Plato discovered or Philo? Are what we have there based on "original" or on copies that have a strong tradition to the original. It's a common problem with all ancient writings and certainly isn't unique to the New Testament. The big difference with the New Testament is that there is a huge tradition regarding the scribing of manuscripts that helps to differentiate which ones are best copies of the "originals".

QUOTE(quiddityofquid @ May 4 2006, 09:50 PM) [snapback]390597[/snapback]

... Hebrew sometimes just DOESN'T translate well into english at all...

You can say that again! I like Greek much more than Hebrew because I really believe that Hebrew assumes a different style of thinking that is not as similar to modern Western thought. Although, that is also what makes translating/interpretation very interesting smile.gif.

::EDIT::I just found this site:

http://nestlealand.uni-muenster.de/

Go to the Prototype link. From there, you'll be able to click on the areas of the Greek text to see what is in the textual apparatus. Mostly it shows variant texts and codes the family of those texts.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fan_Alchemist
post May 12 2006, 03:13 PM
Post #287

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 23,177

I'm Catholic, but I wouldn't say I'm very religious.
I still believe that there is a God.

I can't remember if I posted here or not.

--------------------
I'm a girl and proud.
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

This member is Ailuro approved.

+Quote Post
Ishbal~Alchemist
post Jun 28 2006, 10:46 PM
Post #288

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 33,926

I'm Wiccan. I'm a little religious..... I pray often, and do magick (but not obsessively. only when someone needs help or I really really need it) I do daily devotions to cast negativity from my basement apartment (my mom won't let me do it to the whole house). But I don't go nuts over religion. I don't get scary. O_O

--------------------
IPB Image
avatar by Monkeh. ARIGATOU!!! LUV YA!!!
Signature by Chiyo

+Quote Post
MonsterEnvy
post Jun 29 2006, 06:43 PM
Post #289

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 32,500

huh.gif

And do you really believe that this so-called 'magick' works? Are there any tangible effects, or are they just rituals that could be equated to Christian communion- lots of fluff and symbolism without any real 'proof' that they're transubstantiating. I must wonder why anyone would think that there are actually little nature spirits and negative energy hopping around when there's no way to show that any of it's really there. It seems more likely (to me, at least) that at least one of those random prophets was right than some odd religion spawned from the belief that nature is pretty.

If I'm completely incorrect on that point, feel free to enlighten me. I know very little about Wicca. Is it at all like Satanism? (note that I refer to Satanism in the truest sense, and by no means devil-worship.)

--------------------

Sig and tag by Nil-Chan
Punctuation, spelling, and general grammar are our friends! Don't look like an idiot, and be sure not to use numbers in words or toss random Japanese words into sentences where they don't belong.

+Quote Post
AlphonseRules
post Jun 29 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #290

Member No.: 6,124

No

--------------------
I'm still waiting for Al to rip someone in half.

+Quote Post
Alfonz-Elric
post Jun 29 2006, 11:39 PM
Post #291

Citizen

Member No.: 37,287

Not at all. Satanism is a completely different story....

--------------------
I LUV ALPHONSE, ROY, KYO, AND SASUKE!!!!!
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Jun 30 2006, 05:30 AM
Post #292

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

QUOTE(Alfonz-Elric @ Jun 30 2006, 07:39 AM) [snapback]418434[/snapback]

Not at all. Satanism is a completely different story....

How did yuo come to that conclusion? Satanism is still a religion.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
MonsterEnvy
post Jun 30 2006, 06:03 AM
Post #293

Member No.: 32,500

Perhaps I should have defined Satanism- It's just Epicureanism under a new name. If I had to identify with any religion (I'm an agnostic) I would probably be somewhere in between a Taoist and an Epicurean.

Anyway- Epicureanism and Satanism are two pseuodreligions/philosophies which believe that life should only be lived for pleasure, and whatever gives you more pleasure is best. Of course, there is also the concept of 'delayed pleasure for greater pleasure' so that you do not eat all of your chocolate right away and end up witha stomach ache later, but instead eat your chocolate slowly and have no pain.

--------------------

Sig and tag by Nil-Chan
Punctuation, spelling, and general grammar are our friends! Don't look like an idiot, and be sure not to use numbers in words or toss random Japanese words into sentences where they don't belong.

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Jul 1 2006, 05:31 PM
Post #294

Epicureanism is often completely misunderstood in modern times because not enough people actually read in epicurean concepts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sweety_pie
post Jul 5 2006, 10:10 PM
Post #295

Major General

Member No.: 35,070

I'm Mormon, and I'm kinda religious.
I go to church every almost Sunday, and Wednesday.(but just going to church doesn't make you religious.)

--------------------

Thank you so much Milky for the Siggie. You are the awesomest!

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Jul 5 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #296

Lt. General

Member No.: 37,703

Sigh...this is where I reveal what will make or break my membership here.

No I am not religious. I am spiritual, but not religious.
Because I don't want to be a part of organized religion. Period. Because of the god damn hypocrites. I was once Anglican. But I took myself out of organized religion a few years ago. My beliefs were starting to contrast with those of the church (not that my family were ever religious in the first place, we never went to church or anything) and I was starting to get disgusted by all the people claiming to follow Jesus when really they were doing the exact BS Jesus was against.

For the most part, I am agnostic. (NOT atheist. Btw, one thing I hate is when people say 'atheists are satanists.' No, they are not. If they deny the existance of God, then they deny the existance of Satan as well) That essentially means, I believe there may be a god out there, but I see no physical proof on earth. I don't count an ancient book written by humans to be proof of god (especially one that has had pieces ADDED to it over the years >>). I like to go on my own beliefs which I have been developing for some years now.

I believe not in a god above, but rather, a goddess below.

There. I said it. I believe the Earth is our goddess. >> That in a sense, makes me somewhat pagan, but please do not put a label to my beliefs. My beliefs are mine. No one elses. I am not following any group.
Anywho, back on my Earth Goddess theory, let's put it this way. Without this planet, we're bloody screwed. Without this planet we would not live. She feeds us, she shelters us, she provides us with air. When we die, we become a part of her, and she uses us to create other things which fuel the ecosystem (a.k.a. FERTILIZER) She has this cycle all planned out, and it is executed everyday. She is our home, our mother.

But it's not just that I believe. I'm a mixture of beliefs. For example I am still somewhat Christian. I love Jesus. I admire him to no end. If everyone in this world were to be like the way he wanted us to be, the world would be a wonderful place. That's probably why I get so angry at all these people killing and all other crap in god's name. That's just bull.
I am also very fond of karma. So that I suppose makes me a little Buddhist. (actually I considered going Buddhist, because Buddhists are some nice folks, but I didn't agree with everything in that either and once again, I don't ever want to be part of organized religion again)

Anywho...

Please do not say things like "OMG YOU ARE SO GOING TO HELL b*tch!!!!11!" I respect the beliefs of others and never push mine on anyone else (tho I do encourage people to think for themselves and develop their own opinions). I expect you to at least respect mine the way I respect yours. My beliefs do not make me a better or worse person; they just make me, me.

So there...FR's religious rambling. >.>;; it feels good to actually express them, but it's also frigthening because of people's reactions....

...Oh geez this is long...T_T
yeah. O.o *insert witty remark that appropriately ends this post*

--------------------
My icon comm

"I can't stand RoyxHughes (he's married and has a daughter!)"
Popo: "Brace for Fushi! *cowers*"

Huge Maes Hughes fan. In fact I'm even the Maes Hughes of livejournal. Really. Look for me under "M"

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Jul 5 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #297

QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Jul 6 2006, 01:55 AM) [snapback]419236[/snapback]

Please do not say things like "OMG YOU ARE SO GOING TO HELL b*tch!!!!11!"

I can't help it if it's true laugh.gif

Actually we'll all find out whether we chose wisely or not eventually. I'm still working on my limited liability argument to God at judgement day to get out of hell if Evangelical Christianity is the real one. Ignorance is an excuse, especially when you have no ability to know otherwise laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bluewish
post Jul 6 2006, 10:29 AM
Post #298

Apprentice

Member No.: 37,464

QUOTE(Bob Allen @ Oct 20 2005, 01:31 PM) [snapback]302158[/snapback]

well my self i never went to church and i don't believe in anything anyone say about god and all that other shit because every one alive hasn't died or meet jesus like the script says he was here i think that a bunch of crap, if you do tell me what happens after you die,(that is what they talk about the after life anyways right well prove them right and not by words becasue i would still think you stuped)

QUOTE(nakagos bunny @ Oct 20 2005, 07:48 PM) [snapback]302327[/snapback]

I think it's okay to be gay But most of the other stuff I pretty much like.

Me? Well I'm a christian and I'm not ashamed of it.

Bob Allen: Little advice dude......God and Jesus are truly real.
And I was told where you go when you die is based on your faith and salvation with the Lord.

nakagos bunny: im soory but thats just plain stupid that you think being gay is OK!!!!
Man that's just plain wrong!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Jul 6 2006, 10:40 AM
Post #299

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

Bob Allen: Little advice dude......God and Jesus are truly real.

Can you 100% guarantee that? No because there is no evidence of God is there?
The Evolution, Creation or Intelligent design deabte. I'd be intrested to see your oppinions about this.

nakagos bunny: im soory but thats just plain stupid that you think being gay is OK!!!!
Man that's just plain wrong!

You may be interested in this thread; Click here

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Bluewish
post Jul 6 2006, 11:06 AM
Post #300

Apprentice

Member No.: 37,464

Popo I dont want to start an argument but there is evidence y'know.
It's called the Bible....go read one...there's my evidence....
And if you dont believe then how was earth made huh?How did we come here today? The big bang?
And lemme guess you think being gay is ok?

--------------------

+Quote Post

34 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2016 - 11:27 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css