HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hall Of Shame! Stealing Is Bad, People!, Give proper credit, and don't hotlink!!
FullmetalOtaku
post May 8 2007, 11:35 AM
Post #91

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,536

Stealing is bad, M'kay?

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tombow
post May 19 2009, 09:43 AM
Post #92

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

I'm reviving this thread because I think another round of reminder seems to be due.

Stealing is BAD, people:

1. If you use fanart/fanwork, give proper credit.

This includes the use of fanart(s) and fanwork(s) that is/are created by someone OTHER than YOU.
If you use fanart(s) or fanwork(s) as whole or part of your avatar or as your signature, please try to do the following:

1.) First, please try to make reasonable attempts to obtain the permission from the creator of that artwork to use that as part of your sig/avatar.

2.) But, sometimes, obtaining the permission from the original artist may not be possible (the artist's site may be in the language you don't know, or the artist's original site may not be accessible due to the location you reside in, or the artist is known, but you can not locate the artist's site where you can contact the artist, etc.) Then, at least GIVE PROPER CREDIT by adding a note in your sig space stating who's artwork you are using for your avatar or signature.

BTW, if the artist specifically states on his/her site asking NOT to use his/her artworks without the permission, then please DO NOT use his/her artworks on your sig/avatar without obtaining the proper permission.

3.) If you have no idea who is the original creator of the artwork, at lest state so in your sig space, such as, "Avatar creator unknown, but whoever made it, thank you!!" or something of that sort so that others would NOT mistake that that art was created by you.

IMO, this is just the general (and minimal) courtesy of using other people's fanart/fanworks. Please give respect to these wonderful artists who generously share their works with us, and try to give proper credit!! smile.gif

For the credit line on your sig, it's quite fine to use the smallest font ( = size 1, the size of this sentence) and it still works fine. Followings are some examples of credit lines on your sig:

* If it's your own drawing, and you made the sig yourself, "Drawing and sig made by me," etc.

* If you made a sig (by adding graphics such as your board id name added) but using someone's fanart, then: "Art by xxxx, sig made by me," etc.

* If you brought your fav art by someone to sig shop, and asked some sig artist to make it into a sig, then: "Art by xxx, sig made by yyyy," etc.

* If your sig is using "official art" then generally you do not need to mention nor give credit... just mention who made/set it into your sig, such as: "sig made by me" or "sig made by xxx," etc.

* Add the similar credit for your avatar inside your sig space, or you can combine credit line for both sig and avatar, such as: "Avatar by xxx, sig made by me", etc.

==============

2. Please DO NOT Hot Link.

If you post pics, including fanarts, on your post, or as part of your signature, the basic rule of using pics you find on the Web is (unless the site specifically gives the permission to direct-link pics on the site):

1.) SAVE the pic on your computer.

2.) Then, upload it from your computer to your on-line album account such as at Photobucket, or other on-line hosting account such as Imageshack or Tinypic, and use the link obtained that way to post the pic on your post, or use it as part of your signature.
(For your avatar, or including that pic on your post, after saving the pic to your computer, you can upload the pic to our site for the use as your avatar, or including it on your post.)

Using the link directly from the Website where you found the pic is known as "Hot Linking" and this will result in YOU stealing the bandwidth from that site (unless specifically given the permission from the site to direct-link,) and therefore NOT recommended. Please avoid doing this practice while posting on our board. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post May 25 2009, 04:03 AM
Post #93

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

I don't think Tombow could have put it in any easier words, and quite frankly they are the kindest you will hear on the matter.

My biggest pet hate when it comes to poor crediting is when you say "I found it on google". Google will give you the page it came from so saying it wasn't your fault for the above reason is not forgivable.

I openly admit I used artists work once, but once I knew I had done wrong I changed my ways. I hope with gentle guidence YOU WILL TOO. I will be on the lookout for people who do not credit correctly and I will guide them here. If you do not understand or you are still unsure, ASK FOR HELP and we will help you however we can.

--------------------

+Quote Post
beastPlushi
post Jan 31 2010, 08:57 AM
Post #94

Citizen

Member No.: 72,714

After some thought I decided my post served no true contribution to this thread, so it has been removed.
[ Sorry for a pointless post. If a Moderator could delete this post, I would be pleased. ]

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2016 - 02:09 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css