HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

1516 Pages V  « < 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hawkeye X Roy: The Royai Thread, For Roy, Riza, and Royai fans, and more!!
Rating 5 V
The_Twilight_Tri...
post Nov 10 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #19096

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 65,533

QUOTE (Kaori Ayanami @ Nov 10 2009, 10:24 PM) *
Don't worry, I know it's the Royai spirit in action. ^^

(By the way, I did minor edits afterwards ^^U)

Ah okay. Yeah, about the phone scene--you're probably right, it still could have been Hughes. I think that I was thinking in more of the way that Riza reacted to the call though. Her expression and the "How does he manage to have such good timing"line-- though it's true they aren't necessarily romantic -- don't seem very Hughes like to me. Of course, I think that I took the "insert Hughes into the Royai moments" suggestion too far. I didn't really think to make allowances.

Also, about the queen scene, I'm taking into account that Roy=Roi=King so the reference to Riza as his queen always seemed like a romantic suggestion to me. But the point about him referring to his entire team makes it seem a little less like it could be romantic. Plus, the queen is really the only piece that could apply to her after all, so it really had to go that way, romantic or not.

I can just imagine:

"They took my pawn, my bishop, my rook, my knight.... and.... my other knight."

....Fail. biggrin.gif

That Royai spirit... It's always hijacking my common sense....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jacksparrow589
post Nov 10 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #19097

Special Ops (Piratical Gallery Enforcement)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 48,158

Yeah, we'll defend our beloved Royai to the death! Thankfully, it hasn't come to that, though. smile.gif

hand-made-city--Ohhh! Pretty! That looks like a BEAUTIFUL doujin!

Yikie--Lovely coloring job!

--------------------

Credit goes to Causmicfire for my avatar

The Royai Day party might be over, but the fun never stops!
Royai Day 2011 Album
Thank you to all those who contributed!

+Quote Post
angelofsarcasm89
post Nov 10 2009, 11:56 PM
Post #19098

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,605

QUOTE (The_Twilight_Trinity @ Nov 10 2009, 11:31 PM) *
Also, about the queen scene, I'm taking into account that Roy=Roi=King so the reference to Riza as his queen always seemed like a romantic suggestion to me. But the point about him referring to his entire team makes it seem a little less like it could be romantic. Plus, the queen is really the only piece that could apply to her after all, so it really had to go that way, romantic or not.

You could argue that, but think about who wrote the line. Arakawa knows exactly what she's doing. She wouldn't put a line that's practically dripping with subtext like that in unless she wanted it that way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
flamexhawk
post Nov 11 2009, 12:27 AM
Post #19099

Citizen

Member No.: 68,634

Woot! Let's not hide in the shadows anymore and horribly stalk this thread without shame/update every few months!

In relations with chapter 101, we have we and are producing a family. End of discussion.

Now, onto their relationship. My POV on it has changed over the years and now I've settled with the same basic idea that I'd like to believe is true: their feelings are mutual and perhaps even known on a mutual front. However, being adults and mature as they are, and having such a deep understanding and bond, they know that their feelings can't exactly be displayed through physical interraction - but in emotions and actions.

For me, Riza's loyalty to Roy is her way of not only choosing him to follow but showing that she is willing to do anything for him, that he is her most precious person. And Roy's closeness to her, and how she's almost always the one he picks to keep closest to him on missions and such, means that she's special to him and he strives to protect her, as a man should strive to protect the woman he cares for. This, inevitably, leads her to follow him on paths he handpicks her for and the whole process is intertwined, much like they are.

Sure, I'd love to see a Royai kiss or something of that caliber but the likeliness of that being in-character is slim. Not to mention, Arakawa doesn't seem to lean towards mushy, cuddly fluff (unless it's Izumi and Sieg <3) and more towards the inner complexity of a relationship, even if the relationship doesn't have a 'title', per se. Roy and Riza's understanding of one another is akin to two people in a long-standing relationship, and they do seem to regard one another as more than fellow soldiers and even as more than friends. However, unlike most couples, they don't get the chance to exchange kisses or hugs or hold hands. They have a goal to reach and, in my mind, perhaps they would be able to find time to show affection like a regular couple does only after their goal has been reached and they've secured it in their hands. The goal seems to be more important to them than having a real lover's relationship, which is what makes their interactions and relationship so special, that they would mutually sacrifice romance for a greater goal.

At least, in my world, I'd like to think they were aware of the other's feelings. And in that way, words aren't really needed.

Hooray for rants that make no sense ~
Time for bed. n w n

--------------------

king and queen.

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Nov 11 2009, 03:34 AM
Post #19100

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

QUOTE (Kaori Ayanami @ Nov 11 2009, 04:35 AM) *
It's not about denying Royai. But seen in an objetive way, it's not blatant either. My opinion is that it does exist, but it is (an is also shown) in a Japanese style, so we non-Japanese can hardly take the same events as romantic. It's one of those cases when it's evident that the author has an idea in mind but doesn't bother to be clear about it, because he/she is relying on cultural bias (of the Japanese, in this case).

The "change Riza with Maes" method does give the necessary objectivity, because there is hardly anyone (besides Riza) that Roy loves more than Maes. The only difference I can think about is romantic love. A sweet one, but not overwhelming, and only surfacing briefly from time to time. Hardly ideal for me, but then again, I'm not Japanese.

I totally agree ^ smile.gif
Arakawa put in the hug, but she can have it mean whatever she wants. It's just us who have to work out what it means, so to say. Just because two close people hug, who happen to be a man and woman, doesn't necessarily mean that it's romantic. Of course that's the conclusion most people would jump to given their circumstance, and each of their personalities.

I also agree about the Japanese culture influence, someone had mentioned that before and I hadn't even thought about it, but it does make sense.

+Quote Post
Turdaewen
post Nov 11 2009, 04:31 AM
Post #19101

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,395

I don't know if it's just because I'm used to Japanese people and their manners (I've studied, worked and had Japanese friends as long as I can remember, since I live in a town where there's one of the biggest Japanese Colonies in the WORLD - and Brazil is the country with the biggest Japanese community outside Japan), but I don't think there's any doubt whatsoever than Roy and Riza's relationship is a romantic one. Not only to the Japanese way (and I'm guessing this sort of subject is not even considered in Japan and that it may be pretty established that they HAVE something)

If fact, what gets me thinking is that people who question that might be having wishful thinkings on other parings, because it doesn't make sense to me to question all that has been on the manga. From what I know from Arakawa (and I'm quite a fan of hers and I've read practically EVERYTHING that woman wrote professionally) she did put it that relationship in the manga deliberately.

Even if that was not so, Roy and Riza's relationship also follow a certain line of story that can even be related to some myths, in fact. Like many other things in FMA, they seem to have used some mythical structures that are very popular/famous and the sort of King/Queen relationship that they have reflects that 'myth' with perfection... I'll try to put here the description of that structure made by Joseph Campbell for you guys. ^^

--------------------

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
"By the power of truth I, while living, have conquered the universe"
Faust, Göethe

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Nov 11 2009, 05:59 AM
Post #19102

State Alchemist (Major)

Put it this way, I'd love for them to be involved romantically... I just like exploring different possibilities is all. biggrin.gif

That aside, however they end up when the manga finishes, I will be happy. (Part of me wants a totally bittersweet ending, I find those to be the most memorable). I also try and remind myself that this is just a story, thus it shouldn't even matter how they end up, but I've been invested in this whole series for too long to give up now. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
rinoaebastel
post Nov 11 2009, 07:05 AM
Post #19103

Apprentice

Member No.: 69,455

@hand-made-city cool, it looks so cute the color and all ....(we will have more photos? pleassseeeeeeee tongue.gif) the quality is not bad so don't worry about it.

PS: I seriusly don't need to discuss if Royai/love/platonic/whatever/ is true or not, (im not sure what is the whole talking because there are a lot of pages xD)I just never doubt about it. And im very happy that we have more and more and more. And that leave a simple message.

But remembering moments is always good xD

--------------------

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post Nov 11 2009, 10:23 AM
Post #19104

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 52,558

When we got the preview pages, the hug scene was there. I wonder if we didn't see that scene in the previews, but saw this instead http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/101/11/
would people have thought the hug was more special? Just because it wasn't spoiled first. I don't know if this makes sense.

I still can't believe that Riza could give Roy an eye signal in the chapter. If my neck had been cut and I was rapidly losing blood, I would just be like "Guh"

Even though in the preview pages, I saw that Riza was going to be fine, I was still shocked by the amount of blood she was losing.

After this, the doctors of Central will have their hands full.

+Quote Post
Irena
post Nov 11 2009, 10:47 AM
Post #19105

Apprentice

Member No.: 69,592

QUOTE (FMAobsessed @ Nov 11 2009, 10:23 AM) *
I still can't believe that Riza could give Roy an eye signal in the chapter. If my neck had been cut and I was rapidly losing blood, I would just be like "Guh"

Maybe any normal person would be incapable of doing anything, but we all know that Riza's one tough cookie. B|

Besides, it not like she was making some miraculous recovery on her own, it was just kind of like, "geez colonel, quit yellin' at me and look up there! *glaaare-signal*"

Considering their relationship status, I never really felt the need to join the "platonic vs. romantic relationship" debate. They love each other, what more do you want?

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Nov 11 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #19106

State Alchemist (Major)

QUOTE (Irena @ Nov 11 2009, 05:47 PM) *
Considering their relationship status, I never really felt the need to join the "platonic vs. romantic relationship" debate. They love each other, what more do you want?

Personally, I don't want/need anything more, I just like discussing the possibilities. *shrug* Is that so wrong? tongue.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Nov 11 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #19107

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

Speaking of Riza being one tough lady, I present this:

Link

Another pic of the two:

Link

And this:

Link

+Quote Post
Irena
post Nov 11 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #19108

Apprentice

Member No.: 69,592

QUOTE (FailToImpress @ Nov 11 2009, 11:03 AM) *
QUOTE (Irena @ Nov 11 2009, 05:47 PM) *

Personally, I don't want/need anything more, I just like discussing the possibilities. *shrug* Is that so wrong? tongue.gif laugh.gif

Well yeah, I understand that. xD Sorry if I worded things wrong; I'm not exactly coherent this morning. e___e

Aaaah, pretty fanworks are pretty *^*

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Nov 11 2009, 11:14 AM
Post #19109

State Alchemist (Major)

QUOTE (Irena @ Nov 11 2009, 06:11 PM) *
Well yeah, I understand that. xD Sorry if I worded things wrong; I'm not exactly coherent this morning. e___e

No problem biggrin.gif it's okay.

@ Kale: Y'know, I think you're making me like fan works. tongue.gif I've never been very fussy on them but you always post such nice things! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Nov 11 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #19110

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

....And one more...

Link

@FailToImpress
Told you that there are some great ones out there wink.gif

+Quote Post

1516 Pages V  « < 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2016 - 04:12 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css