HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Is Royai Overrated?
Is RoyAi overrated?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 301
Guests cannot vote 
hakai-kun
post May 18 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #1

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 376

Okay, so the whole fanon/canon thing is overrated in general... but I want your honest opinions on Roy/Riza.
I didn't start this thread for contrevorsy/arguments. so please be nice no matter your opinions.

Personally I'm fine with Roy/Riza. It's not my favorite. I find them too similar in personality and more of a "sibling" relationship [like Winry/Ed] I happen to be one of the few that like Riza/Havoc. But then, I'm pretty open to almost any pairing... i.e: Ed/Riza, Elricest, Winry/Riza, Farman/Fury, etc. etc.
On this forums I actually find a lotta of homophobes and RoyAi fans. tongue.gif So I just wanted to know people's opinions....

Do you think RoyAi is overrated? or do you support them 100%?

--------------------
~Dubbed the Queen of HagaRen Shounen-ai by Kase o.O
~Visit my manga circle: THANKS!
~Mary-Sues scare me >.<
~Avatar: idea Hakai-kun, made by Lie-chan
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fullmetal Fangir...
post May 18 2005, 11:20 PM
Post #2

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 6,336

...if you REALLY must know... *annoyed sigh* yes...I am actually obsessed, got it?

no offence but this thread you've made just annoys me for some reason....what the hell do people see in Havok/Hawkeye? Or ANBODY else....[some people are so stupid]

where are some other Royai fans to back me up!!!

*storms off annoyed and pissed*

--------------------
Currently empty because of Fullmetal Fangirls lazy-ness. She is currently in "stage" of lazy-ness.

No release date for a new signature yet. Please standby.

+Quote Post
xrninja
post May 19 2005, 12:12 AM
Post #3

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 501

huh.gif no need to bite hakai's head off....

i'm also completely obsessed with the roiai pairing. a lot of people see them just as officer and subordinate, but i think their relationship is a subtle but deep one (this is also due to a lot of fandom influence), and i find it beautiful. i also usually support canon pairings, and what with the hints in the anime, manga, and merchandise, to me roiai is canon. i also love hawkeye as a character (she's my all-time favorite anime character) and roy as well. i just think that hawkeye and roy balance each other out so well, and that she's not just the overprotective blonde lady standing behind him with a clipboard. they don't really go far into their relationship (or any particular pairing, really) in the anime, but it does seem like hawkeye knows and understands a lot of roy's bitterness and intricacies, and i believe they're a perfect match. biggrin.gif

i support some other pairings too, like ed/winry, ling/lanfan, falman/sheska, and kimblee/greed...just not as much as i do roiai (i'm also growing less and less fond of ed/winry....partially because of the floods of badly-written, cheesy fluffy fanfiction for ed/winry that's springing up everywhere). i'm not a homophobe and i don't mind shounen-ai, i just don't find it appropriate for hagaren. i don't see ed and al's relationship as anything more than a close brotherly bond, roy's to ed's as a fatherfigure, and roy and hughes's as best friends. ed and hawkeye seems a little too oedipal to me, and i can't imagine it working out on hawkeye's end. roy and havoc seems a bit too much of a stretch for me, since they don't seem to be that close friends and they don't really interact much in the series (in the manga, though, it's a little more plausible). if i had to go for a shounen-ai pairing, i'd go for pre-gracia roy/hughes.

hawkeye and havoc, though, is a big peeve of mine....probably because i guess it's a possible het pairing for hawkeye, but i just don't see it working like roiai. havoc and hawkeye barely interact in both the series and manga, and it sometimes seems to me like the ed/roy fans throw them together as a pairing, since they see roy with ed, and so hawkeye can't be with roy....but wait, havoc's free, he knows hawkeye, let's pair them together! or something like that. like i said, i'm a canon pairing person and i don't see much canon basis for havoc/hawkeye. basically, it makes me squirm to see anyone paired up with hawkeye other than roy. ohmy.gif (although, hawkeye/winry doesn't bother me. huh.gif )

i can see why people would think it's overrated, though, since it's getting more popular (though it seems like there are a particularly large number of roiai fans on this site smile.gif) and it's one of those kind-of-obvious pairings. i think there's more to the pairing beneath the surface, though, that makes it worth obsessing over. smile.gif

--------------------
- ON HIATUS UNTIL COLLEGE STOPS KICKING MY ASS -
ninja + quis = <3

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post May 19 2005, 12:12 AM
Post #4

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 2,565

O_o oh my... FMfangirl, don't get upset, other people are entitled to their opinions.

hakai-kun i would have to disagree that royai is overrated...on these forums especially. the majority of what i see here is edwin--particularly in the fanworks section--and that gets old after a while, espeically since most of the work there strikes me as terribly out of character (tobuchan, dear, you know that excludes you). so, in my opinion, it's the fanon EdWin that irritates the hell out of me.

i like [canon] royai because it's so subtle. their romance is very realistic to me, because while it's obvious they care a great deal about one another, office propriety and simple hard-earned respect between them keeps them from acting on it. so they have to find other ways of showing affection. they can't just go and get it on, there's a level of class and professionalism to them, not to mention the darker, more introverted sides of the personalities, that makes their romance, to me, much more three-dimensional than a crush between two 15-year-old osananajimi. i find that a lot of royai authors (while there are few of them to be had) seem to have a decent grasp of this subtlety, whereas most of the EdWin i come across is poorly done.

i'm not saying i don't like EdWin. or any other [canon] pairing for that matter. but when it leaves the canon atmosphere, unless there is a damn good reason for it (and AU fics annoy the hell out of me), i'm not interested. so, for example, all the homosexual couplings (perhaps excluding pre-series roy/hughes) are extremely unrealistic and therefore not enjoyable for me to read. not because i'm homophobic--not at all--but because it's just not reasonable. take roy/ed for example. W. T. F? not only is it unrealistic, it's downright ridiculous. ed HATES roy, with a passion, so the idea of them getting it on or even cuddling, like so many people write/draw, is absolutely assinine. not to mention that would make roy a pedophile. now, roy may be a lot of things...some of them unsavory, even...but he is NOT a pedophile, TYVM. i might even be able to support a well-written hawkeye/havoc, since there is a manner of...something...that could be believable between them. they're friends, coworkers...so if someone did it well, havoriza could be decent. same with al/winry.

so, in short, i think it's all the other pairings that are overrated. i went to a doujinshi store in ikebukuro? ALL roy/ed. i was like wtf? where's the uh...REAL stuff? the canon romances get overshadowed by that which the rabid fans want to see, which is absurd, not to mention a damn shame. i don't care how drunk they get, ed and roy are never going to be a couple, not even for ten minutes. neither are ed and al, because incest is just wrong. neither are havoc and roy (tho that is more believable than ed and roy), because it's quite obvious havoc likes women. same goes for roy. and although i can't exclude the variable that they're both bisexual, it seems highly unlikely. roy loves riza, and she loves him. if you read the manga this becomes very apparent. same with ed and winry, even if it's a slightly different situation. it's just canon fact, and no author or artist has the right to mess with that. don't toy with other people's characters so lightly.

i support royai 150%, and poo on the people who think they need to see other people.

--------------------
IPB Image

I am the Cold Blooded Alchemist. Ph34r Me.
Read My Fics! :D

Auld Lang Syne...Shinkume...Tsuzureori...Tin Soldiers...Pegasus...The Space Between

+Quote Post
hakai-kun
post May 19 2005, 01:32 AM
Post #5

Apprentice

Member No.: 376

FMA_fangirl: well i didn't say i hate royai. I was just curious about people's opinions.

Hm... it seems to me that [fanon vs canon aside] it really just depends on how well it's written or lack thereof, right? I mean, even a fanfic of a canon pairing isn't "real" canon because it never "really" happened in the series, right? idk.

Oh, and hagane_no_tokage: I just wanted to say something about 150%..... If you take a glass and fill it with water the most water you can put into that glass is 100% filled, right? If you put anymore the glass will just overflow and the water will be wasted. tongue.gif just something I wanted to share... cool.gif

--------------------
~Dubbed the Queen of HagaRen Shounen-ai by Kase o.O
~Visit my manga circle: THANKS!
~Mary-Sues scare me >.<
~Avatar: idea Hakai-kun, made by Lie-chan
IPB Image

+Quote Post
POTOPHREAK
post May 19 2005, 02:05 AM
Post #6

Alchemists

Member No.: 13,044

It is the best thing in the whole world and seriously, I think the possiblity of it being official is really high. look at this poster it's so... great.

and oh yeah I love royai 150% to (it is surely overflowing all over) X) so if anyone posts anything unpleasant about royai here I am sure to shout.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Royai.jpg ( 213.9K ) Number of downloads: 245

--------------------
user posted image
Urahara and Yoruichi
Sorry if my coloring stinks and hurts your eyes or sth.

+Quote Post
Fullmetal Fangir...
post May 19 2005, 04:34 AM
Post #7

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 6,336

yeah sorry, i was really mad when i came home and had to take it out on someone, sorry...um yeah,...

well im a Royai suported 200% beat that!

smexy poster lah!

sorry im listening to a "piss-ya-pants-laughing" song
its by some singapore with a funnt acent talknig about sars...

now i know why they say SING-A-POOR!!

but still, like abtou um somebody said it i forgot, i yeah

take roy/ed for example. W. T. F? not only is it unrealistic, it's downright ridiculous. ed HATES roy, with a passion, so the idea of them getting it on or even cuddling, like so many people write/draw

THANK YOU! somebody god dam AGREES! i mean like, hes suposed to be a "womanizer" please note the quoteation marks...yes, them.
and its so unrealistic...i mean, they THINK its gonna happen...the fans i mean...
Yaoi sucks balls, no offence to others sorry...

and about Hawkeye/Havok...how you said about "oh yeah! since Ed and Roy are taken what shall we do with Hawkeye? My! Havoks free! take him!"

i mean like....w. t. F!!!
seriously man, kinda like having your friends stealing your boyfriend/girlfriend and going "sorry mate, shes mine now! look, that chick over there's free! take her man!" and you'd probably be like "what? who the hells she?"
"who cares, mate?"

like, what the hell?

so if anyone posts anything unpleasant about royai here I am sure to shout.

so like, yeah basicly same with me, i hate it when there are sites that over flow with RoyEd, i mean, how DO people do that?!

ok, so i disliek ANYTHING that interfares with Royai...ok?

Sorry about the yells...i had a headache because my brain was turning to msuh...EXAMS NEXT WEEK! i havnt EVER done an exam! im 13!...oh sheesh, was i supposed to say that?!

--------------------
Currently empty because of Fullmetal Fangirls lazy-ness. She is currently in "stage" of lazy-ness.

No release date for a new signature yet. Please standby.

+Quote Post
darkangelslayer
post May 19 2005, 06:02 AM
Post #8

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 3,011

I voted a tad, but I'm writing a Royai fanfic write now....I'm a hypocrite.

--------------------
IPB Image
I'm aka Anshi as dubbed by Celes *that can be used by anyone and everyone*
Celes x Anshi supporter XDD

+Quote Post
Chibi Viki
post May 19 2005, 08:20 AM
Post #9

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 32

hahaha, people who know me already know what i voted.

since xrninja and tokage already pretty much summed up almost every royai fans opinion, i'm just going to point out a few things about other couples:

1. Bones totally changed Winry's personality. Had they kept her manga persona and Ed's growing "fondness" for her in the anime, i'm sure this couple would give royai a run for its money. I mean, towards the end of the series, Ed barely gave her the time of day. It was always Al which makes me wonder if Bones is endorsing EdxAl >_<;;

2. The truth is, it's the yaoi couples that are overrated. no offence to them but once you leave this site, you'll be swimming in yaoi and anti-het-couple fandom... even the most unsuitable characters are turning into couples... heck even siblings are turning into couples -- eew...

3. Even in lieu of slightly suggestive yaoi moments in the anime, Bones kept faithful to this couple meaning they're starting to endorse them as real and actual het couple -- which the anime totally lacks right now...

4. About HavocxHawkeye... the only thing I could think of as to why these 2 should be a couple is when Roy is out of the picture, or is onesided. Otherwise, I still don't see these 2 as a couple. they're just -- out of balance.

5. EdxRoy is just plainly disturbing... not only is Roy old enough to be Ed's DAD, it also suggests that Roy is -- a pedophile.

6. Royai is the only plausible couple in both anime and manga. I like EdxWin, but not in the anime which is a big minus points on their part since the popularity of the series virtually skyrocketted through the anime and most fans have yet to see the manga.

finally @POTOPHREAK --- WHERE DID YOU GET THAT POSTER! I WANNA WANNA!! happy.gif

--------------------
- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
Electrastar
post May 19 2005, 08:21 AM
Post #10

Alchemists

Member No.: 9,372

I don't think it's overated.

In my opinion, it's the only "solid: relationship in the series. You know they have a deep connection and it's hinted many times that they have feelings for each other. In the anime or manga, Edward and Winry have gotten a bit more, well involved as of late, but it took a while to get there, they acted more like brother and sister half the time. And Roy and Riza aren't that simillar. Roy isn't as serious as Riza, that's where she completes him and gets him back on track.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
POTOPHREAK
post May 19 2005, 08:28 AM
Post #11

Alchemists

Member No.: 13,044

QUOTE(Chibi Viki @ May 19 2005, 08:20 AM)
hahaha, people who know me already know what i voted.

since xrninja and tokage already pretty much summed up almost every royai fans opinion, i'm just going to point out a few things about other couples:

1. Bones totally changed Winry's personality. Had they kept her manga persona and Ed's growing "fondness" for her in the anime, i'm sure this couple would give royai a run for its money. I mean, towards the end of the series, Ed barely gave her the time of day. It was always Al which makes me wonder if Bones is endorsing EdxAl >_<;;

2. The truth is, it's the yaoi couples that are overrated. no offence to them but once you leave this site, you'll be swimming in yaoi and anti-het-couple fandom... even the most unsuitable characters are turning into couples... heck even siblings are turning into couples -- eew...

3. Even in lieu of slightly suggestive yaoi moments in the anime, Bones kept faithful to this couple meaning they're starting to endorse them as real and actual het couple -- which the anime totally lacks right now...

4. About HavocxHawkeye... the only thing I could think of as to why these 2 should be a couple is when Roy is out of the picture, or is onesided. Otherwise, I still don't see these 2 as a couple. they're just -- out of balance.

5. EdxRoy is just plainly disturbing... not only is Roy old enough to be Ed's DAD, it also suggests that Roy is -- a pedophile.

6. Royai is the only plausible couple in both anime and manga. I like EdxWin, but not in the anime which is a big minus points on their part since the popularity of the series virtually skyrocketted through the anime and most fans have yet to see the manga.

finally @POTOPHREAK --- WHERE DID YOU GET THAT POSTER! I WANNA WANNA!! happy.gif
[snapback]175293[/snapback]

got it from a Chinese fullmetal alchemist fan site forum... Chinese is my first language (explains my grammatical mistakes and spelling mistakes eh). The Chinese forums are really fast in translating manga so I often visit that place. That place is full of royai fans and edwin and I tell you, I have seen not a single yaoi fan there. I'll find the link... I love the poster. The glove. The gun. THEY MATCH so perfectly!!! The poster is "official" so maybe... maybe...

and I find EdAl really gross and disturbing. Come on, they are siblings, and they love each other as siblings.

--------------------
user posted image
Urahara and Yoruichi
Sorry if my coloring stinks and hurts your eyes or sth.

+Quote Post
NightMistress
post May 19 2005, 10:21 AM
Post #12

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 10,212

I'm sure you know what my choice was too. Royai is completely wonderful. At first I started out being more for EdWin, but once I truly grasped the maturity and obvious subtlety between Roy and Riza, I just couldn't resist absolutely adoring this couple. They just can't be denied. Even in the end of the series, I couldn't deal with the thought of them not being together. He cannot live without her and vice versa. It's just so obvious to me. I support them here and on LJ.

My second fave pairing nevertheless would probably be HughesRoy. The vunerability there in the early part of the series could easily translate into something more. That's why those fanfics and doujinshi are just fine with me. It's something that's more believable than any other yaoi pairing. I see them together and it looks right (pre-Gracia of course). Seeing Roy with Ed, Havoc, or whoever just doesn't work for me at all. Hughes is the ONLY exception to Roy not being with Riza and he will always be the only one.

[spoiler]In the last episode, Roy and Hohenheim said the exact same thing about the world being imperfect. [/spoiler] After reading plenty of books in school, I look at that type of thing as symbolism. That's why Roy comes off more to me as a father figure than anything else. Maybe an annoying big brother but that's pretty much it. I think that Ed hated Roy in the beginning but towards the end I think he started to change once he realized that Roy wasn't some shallow, egotistical jackass.

EdWin in the manga is just awesome! I wish they got that kind of action in the anime, but still they hold no candle to Royai.

--------------------
Forum siblings: zarpia (my not so big sis) Fullmetal Fangirl (my very much so lil sis) ~FMAgurl~ (another very much so lil sis) MustEd4ever (another very lil sis) Drina (lil sis)

+Quote Post
Glam
post May 19 2005, 01:25 PM
Post #13

Apprentice

Member No.: 7,205

I may not act like it but i'm a total royai fan ^^;, and no I don't think it's overrated, but what I do think is overrated it yaoi, because no offence to anybody but I think it's just friggin sick, edxwin i can deal with also because to be it's sorta like royai, but not. i <3 royai 1000% ^^

+Quote Post
Merc
post May 19 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #14

Apprentice

Member No.: 5,161

Uh-oh, this thread will surely envoke the wrath of the Royai fanatics. Just looking at my signature should say enough about my stance on the subject. 'Nuff said. XD

~Merc

--------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

You can check out my portfolio web site at http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~jpiette
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

+Quote Post
pirate yoshi
post May 19 2005, 08:24 PM
Post #15

Citizen

Member No.: 11,407

Being the canon-whore that I am, I strongly support RoyAi. Out of all my OTPs I have had, RoyAi has a relationship unlike any other. They don't need to tell how they feel about one another, because it seems they already know about each other feelings. They're very mature in their relationship, and that really fascinates me. Manga!RoyAi is what really fueled my obsession. I mean, they practically act like a married couple! Anime!RoyAi had to make me squint for it, but I knew it was there.

EdWin seemed boring to me. It was like the usual anime couple, and that's just not fun.

I've actually read a HavocAi fic, and it wasn't that bad. It almost seemed plausible for their relationship to work because they didn't butcher Roy's character. Hawkeye was just a tad OOC, but it didn't bother me much. Overall, the fic wasn't good enough to convert me to HavocAi. My devotion to RoyAi was just too strong. XD

I'm very anti-yaoi, so I'm not even gonna start on RoyEd. Who ever came up with that must've been smokin' SOMETHING.

+Quote Post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 11:33 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css