HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA: Brotherhood English Dub Dvd (north American Version) Info & Discussion, Info on first post. Updated with pics & info 17/8/11
hawkflame
post May 18 2010, 05:34 PM
Post #16

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 71,737

Just picked up the DVDs today.

First of all, it is indeed the first 13 episodes, which is a little disappointing because 1-14 makes more sense- having episode 14 add some more "new" material to make it more desireable for those who have only seen the first series, it ends a story line rather than create a cliffhanger, and of course 15 is when the new OP/ED starts.

Audio and video transfer seem fine, no problems there. The only thing I wish, other than the 14th episode, is that they had more of the extras, like the Blind Alchemist OVA and the 4 Koma theater. They had a couple of commentaries, only the first of which is worth listening to, as they provide a bit of insight on the dubbing process as well as the actors' impressions of their characters. Second one is pretty much just everyone riffing.

Overall not a bad package, but not as good as it could have been.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post May 20 2010, 10:48 AM
Post #17

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

Yeah I'm not getting it.
Ridiculously enough, part of me not wanting it is because of the lack of 4koma.

And it makes no sense why they would have it just go to episode 13. Why would you not put the 2nd part of a 2 part arc on one dvd? Plus the fact that episode 14 is the actual "NEW" material. And then the fact that the opening theme will be on just one episode on the next DVD set.

I'll be waiting for boxed sets later down the road.

I do have a question though, for those who have the DVD, does it have the eyecatches in the episodes?

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post May 20 2010, 10:55 AM
Post #18

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,555

I don't see why not. But I just wonder if all those "comic book sound effect words" were translated into English, because in the teaser clips they've been left in Japanese.

+Quote Post
Vlyse
post May 20 2010, 01:03 PM
Post #19

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,791

It does seem weird Episode 14 isn't included, because there's two discs, meaning one has 7 episodes and the other has 6. I just got my box so I can confirm this.

The eyecatches are included, and redubbed by who sounds to be Kent Williams.

On another note, I'm a little irritated it suddenly stopped playing the DVD for me. No idea what could be wrong.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rzerox21xx
post May 20 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #20

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,867

You think down the line, funi might release the 4komas and the ovas like blind alchemist, simple people, izumi on one disc or something like the fma premium they did last year that include the ova and chibi party of the first series.

I order the blu-ray just now through the Rightstuf funimation 40 percent deal and yeah I was quite disappointed funi didnt release the 4komas and blind alchemist.

+Quote Post
His Name is Unkn...
post May 20 2010, 02:28 PM
Post #21

Apprentice

Member No.: 40,795

Aw man!!!!

I don't get to see Wrath slice up Greed?! Huge letdown. I was so looking forward to seeing that in blu-ray quality with English dubbing, as Bradley is one of the few english voices in the dub that I thoroughly enjoy (his poor man's Sean Connery impersonation is actually rather endearing to me, and I feel it fits the character, somehow).

From the previous couple of posts, it sounds as if this is going to a no-frills release. Shame to double dip on a show that is already a double-dip from the get go: funimation really would fit in nicely dressed in all black and lurking in an underground hide-out. Based on this information I'm going to assume that funi will be planning a separate OVA release like they did with the original fma?

+Quote Post
Vlyse
post May 20 2010, 02:46 PM
Post #22

Alchemists

Most likely. I just hope the OVA collection isn't years later this time around.

I'm listening to the commentary for episode 10, and I'm surprised / it's interesting they said this series is more darker and that the comedy balances it out. From most anime-only viewers, I see they say the first series was darker.

Will post anything else interesting as I continue to listen.

--------------------

+Quote Post
His Name is Unkn...
post May 20 2010, 03:25 PM
Post #23

Apprentice

Member No.: 40,795

Interesting observation; I wonder what would compel them to make such a statement? Just paying lip-service to the manga, or an actual opinion? I guess you could say that the plot itself is darker (specifically, the details of the Ishval War, Envy's true form, the extended fallout from Hughe's demise, Roy's darker revenge arc), but the directing most certainly is not.

In my opinion, FMA1 was developed as a far more serious affair; whether one considers the more dramatic, rich musical score, the seriously designed and drawn character models, or the pervasive atmosphere of melancholy (the Law of Equivalent exchange as a promise between brothers, rather than an arbiter of fairness in the universe itself), FMA1 had an extremely dark style.

If FMA:Brotherhood had been told with a similar narrative aesthetic, then I could see such a claim as justified...but as it stands now, I tend to view the show more as a a pleasant, if ultimately sub-par rendition of superior source material.

One question directed at Vlyse, if I may? Where did you acquire the English dubbed dvds? I'm assuming it was an online order, because the official release date isn't until next Tuesday. Depending upon your answer, I may risk a trip to my local anime surplus store to beg for a copy from the back room... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Vlyse
post May 20 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #24

Alchemists

^Yeah, the first two paragraphs are my thoughts, too. I think Brotherhood has more blood in it as well.

As for how I got the DVD, I ordered from Rightstuf.com. I was pretty surprised it came today, because I tried canceling it since it didn't say anything about arriving on the release date. So I fail to cancel it because of this worry and get it 5 days earlier laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post May 20 2010, 03:58 PM
Post #25

Apprentice

QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ May 20 2010, 06:25 PM) *
Interesting observation; I wonder what would compel them to make such a statement? Just paying lip-service to the manga, or an actual opinion? I guess you could say that the plot itself is darker (specifically, the details of the Ishval War, Envy's true form, the extended fallout from Hughe's demise, Roy's darker revenge arc), but the directing most certainly is not.

In my opinion, FMA1 was developed as a far more serious affair; whether one considers the more dramatic, rich musical score, the seriously designed and drawn character models, or the pervasive atmosphere of melancholy (the Law of Equivalent exchange as a promise between brothers, rather than an arbiter of fairness in the universe itself), FMA1 had an extremely dark style.

If FMA:Brotherhood had been told with a similar narrative aesthetic, then I could see such a claim as justified...but as it stands now, I tend to view the show more as a a pleasant, if ultimately sub-par rendition of superior source material.

One question directed at Vlyse, if I may? Where did you acquire the English dubbed dvds? I'm assuming it was an online order, because the official release date isn't until next Tuesday. Depending upon your answer, I may risk a trip to my local anime surplus store to beg for a copy from the back room... laugh.gif

I always considered the first series more dark as far as the emotions go, but this version is darker in the sense of what you mentioned above- there's something certainly more brutal and nightmarish about the manga and by extension, the new series, especially when you consider the nature of some of the homunculi, or episodes like 19 with the confrontation with Lust. I think they're picking up on that quality, which certainly shines through here.

As for the availability of the DVDs, I know this wasn't directed at me, but I picked mine up off the shelf at the local FYE store. The chain must have picked it up early, as it was available at another FYE as well.

(And by the way I think the musical score is every bit the equal of the first series).

+Quote Post
rzerox21xx
post May 20 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #26

Alchemists

Vlyse, the thing about rightstuf, si that you get your stuff pretty earlier, usually a week earlier than the release date, I got almost all of my products that way and there weekly deals and got anime combination make that site ideal in ordering.

Anyway, anyone got the blu-ray, I curious about it because I heard bad things about the d.gray-man bd release by funi while good things about the eveangelion 1.11 release.

I was hoping funi would have put the same amount of effort they did with the first series dvds with the extra and booklets and such.

does the dvds came with any booklets, and how exactly the extras other than commentaries, like any character sketches and such.

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post May 20 2010, 05:33 PM
Post #27

Apprentice

QUOTE (rzerox21xx @ May 20 2010, 07:13 PM) *
Vlyse, the thing about rightstuf, si that you get your stuff pretty earlier, usually a week earlier than the release date, I got almost all of my products that way and there weekly deals and got anime combination make that site ideal in ordering.

Anyway, anyone got the blu-ray, I curious about it because I heard bad things about the d.gray-man bd release by funi while good things about the eveangelion 1.11 release.

I was hoping funi would have put the same amount of effort they did with the first series dvds with the extra and booklets and such.

does the dvds came with any booklets, and how exactly the extras other than commentaries, like any character sketches and such.

It came with several postcards, and creditless OP/ED.

Frankly, the first series extras were better. Not only were there still commentaries, but those guide books were cool.

+Quote Post
rzerox21xx
post May 20 2010, 06:41 PM
Post #28

Alchemists

ah, thanks. Yeah agreeable that funi did a better job with the extra content that came with the first series dvds. I guess we were all hoping for a similar treatment with brotherhood, especially one with a closer vision of how arakawa intended.

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post May 20 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #29

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

Don't the Japanese release of the DVD's come with butt-loads of awesome? All the eycatches, little booklets, and the 4koma?
So why is the U.S. release cutting back on the awesome?

I'm curious to hear the two commentaries though.
But I still going to wait to buy the DVD's till further down the road.

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post May 20 2010, 09:52 PM
Post #30

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,555

Bad Export For You?

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2016 - 06:29 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css