HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
What & Why Do You Hate About Yaoi?
What do you hate about yaoi?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 64
Guests cannot vote 
Funkyduck
post Feb 18 2008, 06:41 PM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 55,069

I was curious as to what people hate about yaoi, even if they're fans of it. If you hate everything about yaoi (like me), post what you hate the most about it.
I personally hate that people jump to conclusions about these sort of things. I mean, can't two characters of the same gender be friends or show kindness towards each other without being made into a yaoi couple? Like Roy and Hughes are friends, but that doesn't mean they love each other. Same with Winry and Sciezka. Ed and Al show kindness towards each other, but their love is only brotherly. Sheesh!

--------------------
Funkyduck
Official Neopets Addict
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Havanese
post Feb 27 2008, 04:44 PM
Post #2

Apprentice

Member No.: 53,239

I don't like the yaoi fans who are in denial and think their OTPs are canon, even when it's obvious that they are not... but I feel this way when it comes all pairings, not just yaoi. And, honestly, I don't come across those fans very often. Most of the Roy/Ed, Hughes/Roy, Winry/Sheska and Elricest fans respect the canon couplings and know that their OTP has no chance of happening.

Liking a yaoi or yuri pairing is not necessarily "jumping to conclusions." There are a lot of yaoi and yuri couples I like, but not because I think the characters are gay. I like them because I like the characters as a couple. happy.gif

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Feb 27 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #3

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

Wouldn't this be better placed in the general anime board or is it just FMA that has Yaoi pairings now?

As for the subject: lol, fans.

To add to that: Fans aren't yaoi. Grow up.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Guest_Tris the Reaper_*
post Feb 27 2008, 07:39 PM
Post #4

Guests

Yeah, this should really be in general anime.

As for my opinion...bah, I've exhausted my opinion enough, but in short - everything. The end :>

+Quote Post
Havanese
post Feb 27 2008, 07:46 PM
Post #5

Apprentice

Member No.: 53,239

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Feb 27 2008, 06:47 PM) *
Wouldn't this be better placed in the general anime board or is it just FMA that has Yaoi pairings now?

As for the subject: lol, fans.

You're right, they aren't... Sorry if I went off-topic... sad.gif

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Feb 28 2008, 04:43 AM
Post #6

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Ok then, I'm moving this to the General Anime forum. Let's see how it goes there. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Feb 28 2008, 07:45 AM
Post #7

Master Alchemist

You're right, they aren't... Sorry if I went off-topic...

Don't worry, you were just following the thread starter.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nekokitty
post Feb 28 2008, 08:25 AM
Post #8

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 36,425

Really, I hate the fans more. Especially the rabid ones who immediately hate the lead female because supposdly she "gets in the way" of their OTP.

Edit: I also hate the ones who make characters like Edward, weak, helpless, spineless "ukes". Plus I also hate the uke/seme titles when they're used seriously, not jokingly.

Plus most of the actual yaoi manga out there is pretty boring, too much flat characterization and uninteresting storylines.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Omamori
post Feb 28 2008, 10:07 AM
Post #9

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 52,106

Yeah...concerning yaoi, not only do I not support it, but the fans really, really bug me. Especially with their yaoi/yuri fanart and fanfics that are just far too sensual. Rather disguisting and irritating in my lone opinion.

Another thing that irritates me is that, they see nothing wrong with it. Gah. I go on to DeviantArt to browse some 'Death Note' fanart with my 'mature content' filter on and a lot of the pictures I wind up finding are LxLight fluff! Grah! Talk about wanting to scratch my eyeballs out...sleep.gif;

--------------------

-------------------
||
DeviantArt||
-------------------
Set by Omamori

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Feb 28 2008, 10:13 AM
Post #10

Master Alchemist

Another thing that irritates me is that, they see nothing wrong with it

There isn't anything wrong with it though. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Omamori
post Feb 28 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #11

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 52,106

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Feb 28 2008, 09:13 AM) *
Another thing that irritates me is that, they see nothing wrong with it

There isn't anything wrong with it though. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong.

Hmm...good point. Still, it would be nice if they put 'mature content' labels on their sensual artwork (which they don't. Ergh).

--------------------

-------------------
||
DeviantArt||
-------------------
Set by Omamori

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Feb 28 2008, 10:35 AM
Post #12

Master Alchemist

It's not "mature content" though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Feb 28 2008, 12:13 PM
Post #13

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 3,284

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Feb 27 2008, 06:47 PM) *

A worthy point, but to bring up fans in the case of yaoi-related annoyances is a legitimate concern. As with any hobby, to be in poor company can dampen the enjoyment of something. But more closely related to yaoi (and fandom in general) is to take note that the fans frequently directly relate to the content of te majority of yaoi, not just indirectly by their demand for it, but because frequently, the fans are also creators. It is not only the view of Seme/Uke stereotypes and senseless slashing that fans squeal about amongst themselves, but the fact that this mindset directly correlates to a higher majority of the works containing such things, thus making it more difficult for a fan who dislikes those elements to find such works.

Indeed, the quality of any fanwork correlates directly to its intended audience and the fan who creates it. (This counts also in original yaoi fiction/manga/etc. Original series have fans who influence the story with their demand and are created by fans of the genre.) There is a great deal of tripe that is published in the classification of yaoi/BL/shonen-ai/whatever-term-is-now-appropriate -but-in-two-years-will-likely-be-a-purported-japanese-euphemism-for-shota.

Much like fanworks in general, or even anime in general, there will always be tons of utter crap and there will always be annoying fans who eat it up and adore it. And there will always be elitist fans who claim to hate the genre for it but secretly drool over their super-classy underground titles, and quiet fans who enjoy things that are not in accordance with the larger interests of the fan populous. And there will always be haters who (with almost suspicious obsession) badmouth the entire genre based on 'moral' reasons, a few annoying examples they have experienced, desire to establish themselves in an 'us versus them' dynamic for something, and often (I've found) an extreme fear of being publicly associated with anything to do with liking the thing they are bashing.

Vocal anime haters are often preoccupied with letting everyone know that they have better taste than all those trendwhoring idiotic weaboo anime fans. (Seen this too often in a "oh look at me, I'm better than you because I'm cultured and read difficult novels and obscure western comics and watch advanced classical movies unlike those illiterate anime dorks who obviously don't read any of these things because they all just like Naruto" sense.) Fanwork haters become fixated on establishing themselves as creative original authors/artists and establish a holier-than-thou viewpoint on those who make derivative works. (Though they oddly don't seem to think poorly of published authors who make and profit off of successful derivative works, such as "Wicked") Yaoi haters want to separate themselves from the annoying majority of yaoi fans as well as make it very very (very very very very) clear that they are NOT GAY AND DON'T LIKE ANY GAY STUFF HOMG! (This is closely related to the "Hey, I like gays and support gay rights; I just think it's vile and disgusting to look at and it is a total disrespect to fictional characters to portray them as filthy gays, now if you'll excuse me, I have some out-of-character degrading hentai to look through." view)

In the fanworks branch of yaoi, I personally find that it is much easier to find well balanced, developed, romantic and aesthetically pleasing fanworks for yaoi than for heterosexual relationships. But this is also all very dependent on where one searches. I may have simply overlooked some of the most amazing fanfiction/doujinshi/fanart ever and not known it.

I adore many male/female pairings and find them just as sweet/compelling/hot/whathaveyou, but they're often either hard to find (of rare pairings) or overloaded with boring repetitive stories/art of popular pairings. Of the popular pairings, it seems that fanworks are often uninteresting fluff, or tasteless hentai. Yaoi fandom, while also most definitely full of the afformentioned crap, seems to have a devoted cluster in the fandom of fans and creators who are more focused on finding an artful balance to tell their stories with. I really wish I could find Male/Female (or even more rarely, Female/Female) doujinshi with the high artistry level of IDEA, Mechano, CCC, K2 or Rock'n'dolless, but it just doesn't seem to be a perogative of enough fans to find or create such works.

What do I hate about yaoi? That the influence of its high-brow creators doesn't seem to extend into the Yuri and Het fandoms. That makes me a sad panda.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Feb 29 2008, 06:31 AM
Post #14

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

I can't really add very much as Toby's post was so thorough, but I can say what I hate and its actually the fans as Neko said.

I believe pairings should have some acceptability, or at least a fan should be able to argue reasons for the pairing. In too many cases, male/male pairings are created for the simple fact the fangirls find it hot. In some cases they even change character's characteristics to suit their pairing (though this can be said for any type of pairing really). Yaoi that's believable is easier to accept, instead of 'bt dey smexy tgeva'.

It is not my taste, but I have nothing against it, some yaoi artwork is the best fanart I have ever seen.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Feb 29 2008, 09:51 AM
Post #15

Lt. General

Member No.: 31,492

I hate the pairings that make no sense. Like people who hate each other, or ones who have spoke a full 20 sentences to each other through a 300 episode series, and most of them were insults or something. Trust me, I could name quite a few.

--------------------

d a| Y a k u s o k u |t u m b l r

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2016 - 05:39 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css