HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 16: Footsteps Of A Comrade-in-arms - Content Discussion Thread, Caution! Spoilers for the first 16 episodes!
alphonse-fma
post Jul 20 2009, 09:43 PM
Post #46

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 60,352

Ed Come in

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BluePhoenix
post Jul 20 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #47

Citizen

Member No.: 69,640

I think I remember reading something about a company called Edwin that makes a line of jeans called 503, so the Edwin (the couple) fans associated the number with the couple, and Arakawa threw it in knowing about it and everything. I'm not entirely sure where I read it, but it was something like that

--------------------
~*Always smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to...*~

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Jul 21 2009, 06:03 AM
Post #48

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

lol really? arakawa is so considerate of her fans! that is actually pretty cool

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Jul 21 2009, 09:13 AM
Post #49

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

Yes the 503 thing is a style of jeans called Edwin.

I didn't like this episode very much, but I can't pinpoint exactly why. It had all it required, but I really don't like how they've altered scenes and removed even the slightest moment of humour. Although Ed spends a lot of this episode feeling guilty about Hughes death, there isn't the scene with him kicking himself for leaving the paper out for Winry to see it. I hate to bring it up...but it's almost taking away scenes that I think are vital to their relationship. Winry doesn't display her tears as much in the manga, and Ed takes a slice of pie as his way of awkwardly comforting her...and they changed it. Rant over...for now.

The rest of the episode was okay though, if perhaps a little slow paced. I know it's more of a filler/build up episode and we've had some good action so in the grand scheme of things it's okay. I think Hawkeye looked a little too wide eyed though, too child like.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Jul 21 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #50

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

Descent episode, no major noticable flaws (or perhaps I was just tired when watching), though a few skipped scenes that would have been nice to see included. Though, a slight problem. I just can't, CAN'T, get myself into feeling bad for the characters. This show doesn't give me any emotional reactions whatsoever. I can count one or two times when I've actually felt something. That's it. Am I just hollow on the inside, or is it something else? Something like this show not feeling quite as original, or genuine, or good as one could wish? I Dunno.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
Nzm
post Jul 21 2009, 12:26 PM
Post #51

Citizen

Member No.: 70,107

Great episode, one of the best parts of The Brotherhood so far. Very sad one and filled with emotion. The scene with Havoc walking through Central to meet Lust was a masterpiece of using music to create melancholic feeling. Also, hurray for Edwin.

+Quote Post
thunderbreak
post Jul 21 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #52

Apprentice

Member No.: 68,553

i originally want to give a bad ep,but stopped due to the fact i think i 'm the one who got problems after reading the initial reviews,plus the weather at my place is really hot at that time.so i rewatch the ep first b4 i comment further.
vol9,in which this ep is included ,is one of my favourites so i know a lot of details here,compare to previous 15 episodes

Plot
QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Jul 22 2009, 02:41 AM) *
Descent episode, no major noticable flaws (or perhaps I was just tired when watching), though a few skipped scenes that would have been nice to see included. Though, a slight problem. I just can't, CAN'T, get myself into feeling bad for the characters. This show doesn't give me any emotional reactions whatsoever. I can count one or two times when I've actually felt something. That's it. Am I just hollow on the inside, or is it something else? Something like this show not feeling quite as original, or genuine, or good as one could wish? I Dunno.

yeah,that's why i feel myself to being weird/no emotion lol(but emotion is subjective,so i wont say it's the same case for others).i agree with chinchou part that there's no noticable flaws,and i dont feel that much as compared to i read the manga.hughes death does not carry much weight for me(i'm manga reader at first),but the scenes in manga give me a lot of weight,especially ed's guilt,partly bcos good art by arakawa,and ed's uncertainty on whom to trust.Anyway it's purely IMO only,and probably again,i read a lot of times on it in manga & i 'm hoping too much.
hughes part ,i think is a bit annoying too-maybe too long?
i think gracia scenes places well,where it's a good substitution with gracia crying part.
after viewing several times,i dont feel that bad-maybe average(in some)
but the final parts are good,perhaps starting from maria ross(or maybe winry's part) arrest to havoc's.

Art
there are some characters drawn not that right.for hawkeye,i think hers allright-probably no huge forehead anyway.
i think lust(on one scene-not the final scene),roy(last scene b4 preview),and ed's eyes(after he shows pointy face with roy)

i think the art is good where havoc meets his 'girlfriend',and lust there is drawn well too.
is my imagination or lust frequently appears at sunset?

music
I think I summarise up too much on my previous review,but
I rewatch some parts,and i agree this fma series lacks of new music(except lior,ep1),and music that associated with characters/place.maria ross tell hughes death scene music is a bit annoying(i miss that during my first preview),but still,i think there are two fine cues
for next eps,i hope they include new music in next one,and xerxes-i hope there's some ancient/greecian music

QUOTE (Nzm @ Jul 22 2009, 03:26 AM) *
Great episode, one of the best parts of The Brotherhood so far. Very sad one and filled with emotion. The scene with Havoc walking through Central to meet Lust was a masterpiece of using music to create melancholic feeling. Also, hurray for Edwin.

I think that one is one fine cue,but i think it's used b4,at least the starting of the cue.it's used in the first starting intro of first few series.but i think this is the first time we heard the extention/variation of this cue,and it makes the scenes very exciting.i think the cello part is in sync with havoc movement(+plus great animation)smile.gif
and the other one is after winry ,ed ,al left hughes place.i'm not sure whether this cue is less frequently used,or used in the early part of ep,but it's very good in my opinion,and it helps to bring emotion up.these two cues i mentioned ,used cello as the main melody,with other strings instrument as accompaniment.there's another music in bathroom scene which is good too.

Preview
i think they reveal too much(for anime-only viewers)

--------------------
Currently on :Silverspoon,re-reading FMA project(will post to blog soon)
Planning list:Pumpkin scissors,Stein Gate,Fairy Tail

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jul 23 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #53

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

<Program Note>

@Sal_san and Meu - I think you two have a very interesting discussion on scene changes and omitted scenes from FMA manga to FMA: Brotherhood anime. And, as such, I moved your posts to Keeping Track Of Skipped/changed Fma Manga Scenes In Fma: B Anime, Discussions on omitted scenes & scene changes from manga in FM:B thread.

Anyone with opinions and comments on scene/story changes and omitted scenes in FMA: B anime from FMA manga, please post that on the above linked thread. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sal_san
post Jul 23 2009, 02:42 PM
Post #54

Citizen

Member No.: 62,930

Thank you, Tombow. XD

--------------------

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post Jul 24 2009, 11:55 PM
Post #55

Citizen

Member No.: 44,714

QUOTE (Jealous Rogo @ Jul 20 2009, 11:02 AM) *
On the negative side, I don't know if it was just the translation I saw, but I did think it ruined the surprise of that Havoc was dating Lust by having Envy ask Lust if her boyfriend had given her any info. After hearing Havoc announce he had a new gf earlier in the episode, anyone who didn't know must've had alarm bells ringing at that point.

I noticed this too - and both tmd-asu and Eclipse translated it with the "boyfriend" included. Anyone know if that's a correct translation? Even if it was, if I were the fansubber I would have changed it to "informant" or something to make it not so obvious.

+Quote Post
Mr. Deathy
post Jul 25 2009, 07:48 AM
Post #56

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,164

I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't notice that without having read the manga, they wouldn't even be thinking about the fact Havoc said he had a girlfriend as it was a very minor thing at the start of the episode that was portrayed just as comedy.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post May 29 2010, 08:38 PM
Post #57

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Please add FMA:B English dubbed episode 16 (on CN on Adult Swim) talk-back/discussions here. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post May 29 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #58

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,737

Not a lot to really add about this dub(most of it was every bit as good as the original, IMO) except one thing- I felt that the actress who played Gracia was way too wooden in her scene with Ed.

Other than that- I liked Caitlin during the "apple pie" scene- thought she did a great job there.

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post May 29 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #59

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

Still mad they left out the apple pie.

This episode is to angsty for my liking.
I do love Barry though, so that makes up for it biggrin.gif

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post May 30 2010, 05:55 PM
Post #60

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

By far my least favorite dubbed episode. I hate to be a person that rants about how bad a dub is, but it was waaay over-acted and melodramatic, and to be too dramatic in a scene like the ones in THIS episode is saying something. The voices of Vic and Caitlin were too trembly and shaky in the scenes when talking about Hughes. And I'm not one to usually complain about 1-line characters, but the voice of the flower-lady made me cringe. I think everyone else was okay... it was just that Vic Mignogna and Caitlin Glass were OFF.

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2016 - 08:13 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css