HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 1: Fullmetal Alchemist - Content Discussion Thread, English dub talk-back start on page 14!
Rating 5 V
5littlepigs
post Apr 11 2009, 03:12 PM
Post #196

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,843

I loved the episode!!! I thought the animation was much better than the 1st series, and I liked how they quickly introduced the characters, I mean most people already know who they are so spending a lot of time introducing them would be a waste of episodes... I hope they keep making it interesting so the ones who have already watched the first series or read the manga won't be completely bored up to the greed phase...but overall I loved it and the music too! biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saving_Grace
post Apr 12 2009, 11:21 PM
Post #197

Alchemists

Member No.: 33,782

I'm watching the first episode now as I type this, and so far I'm not really enjoying it. The animation is too... cutesie (for lack of a better word). I don't really know enough about animation to discribe it properly, but so far I'm prefering the look of the first series. It does look a lot closer to the manga, and I thought I'd enjoy that, but I don't for some reason.

I hate the Japanese dub.

The opening song is nice. I like the parts with Winry singing along, but I'm not big on the Hohenheim focus, considering that he's not that important at this stage. I was kind of hoping that L'Arc'en'Ciel (or however you spell it) would do another opening, but hey, maybe they still will.

I really like the fact that the writers are putting original things in there like Issac the Ice Alchemist (or whatever his name is), it helps keep things fresh for those who've already read the manga.

+Quote Post
spectator
post Apr 17 2009, 06:08 AM
Post #198

Alchemists

Member No.: 34,836

I feel the following part is very interesting:

Roy told Ed to listen to the elders. Then at the end, Hughes told Roy the same things too. I can see Riza was like happy.gif .

--------------------
'Prince of Dawn' Fanfiction - Envoy of Love: The True Prince

Eastern Headquarters' Attraction - Something fun to read.

CoS and FMA1 Fanfiction - Right person, wrong place, wrong time

+Quote Post
Maveth
post Apr 26 2009, 06:38 AM
Post #199

Citizen

Member No.: 68,281

What Is Brotherhood To The Original Series?

Okay... I hear that it's supposed to be closer to the manga, but after reading the manga, I think the original series was closer. Was Issac, The Ice Alchemist in any of the manga? I thought I read all the way up to the point where Envy kills Hughes and didn't see any of the first episode of Brotherhood in it. So it's not precisely based on the manga, it sort of offshoots to some other storyline.

I also heard someone say it is an untold segment of the original story, but it can't be, because of the continuity issues. Hughes claims to meet the Elrics for the first time in the first episode of the Brotherhood series, he is a Lt. Colonel, and his daughter is already old enough to talk coherently (3 years old?). All this stuff didn't happen until well after the 13th episode of the original series, and the Elric Brothers already knew Hughes from before his daughter was born.

The only thing that makes sense is this is some alternate timeline for the same characters, or somehow they mistranslated Hughes's dialogue in every version of Brotherhood I've seen.

If its an alternate timeline, I fail to see why they needed to remake it, since they aren't sticking strictly to the manga in this version either.

If its mistranslated... how the heck did everyone get it wrong? Correct please.

Any thoughts?

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 26 2009, 07:14 AM
Post #200

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

@Maveth - Welcome to the board!! biggrin.gif

Isaac is an original character created for this anime series, and his look is based on the original design done by Arakawa-sensei for this character. smile.gif

Anyway, after reading your post, I see this is more closely related to the content of episode 1, including the time-line, so, in a while, I will be adding your post to FMA series-2 episode 1 content discussion thread. Then, you can continue this discussion there. smile.gif

ETA: Merged the thread. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Apr 30 2009, 02:35 AM
Post #201

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 35,674

QUOTE (Maveth @ Apr 26 2009, 09:38 AM) *
I also heard someone say it is an untold segment of the original story, but it can't be, because of the continuity issues. Hughes claims to meet the Elrics for the first time in the first episode of the Brotherhood series, he is a Lt. Colonel, and his daughter is already old enough to talk coherently (3 years old?). All this stuff didn't happen until well after the 13th episode of the original series, and the Elric Brothers already knew Hughes from before his daughter was born.

Then I should say to you that Ed and Al didn't meet Elysia before she was 3 years old in the manga (in fact, Winry was the first to meet Elysia and Gracia, not the Elric). All this stuff was invented for the anime.

The Ice Alchemist can be considered an untold part of the story, but you have to know a lot about the manga, up to the 15th volume...

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Feb 13 2010, 07:25 PM
Post #202

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

I figured I would bump this up to the top seeing as everyone will be on here talking about this in a little less than 3 hours.

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Feb 13 2010, 10:47 PM
Post #203

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

All right, to avoid the confusion, I moved the posts that are mostly about the general opinions on each VAs to Dub VA discussion thread. smile.gif

-----------------------------

My impression: It went fast! tongue.gif I think they edited the opening? And, no preview/ending? unsure.gif
Otherwise, I enjoyed watching it in dub, especially hearing familiar voices, but it just went so fast.
... await for the repeat and try to catch it again later. ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fullmetal666
post Feb 13 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #204

Citizen

Member No.: 71,879

For a series that is suppose to be closer to the manga, it's funny how Brotherhood starts with a story that never happens in the manga. The first episode of Brotherhood is kind of boring. Isaac is a lame villain, and did anyone else get sick of the Ed is short jokes?

Now I'll talk about the dub.
Vic as Ed was awesome as always, Maxey as Al was all over the place. Sometimes she'd sound like Aaron, and sometimes her voice would be too low, and hard to hear.
The returning voice cast sounded a little rustily at times, but I'm sure that they will get back into the swing of things.

--------------------
Lust: Maybe you are right. Where did I come from, and where will I go when I die? Maybe all this time, that is what I wanted... the freedom to find out.

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Feb 13 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #205

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

First impressions

-whoa..intro starting different.
-INTRO CUT WTF NOOO
-Al, sounds young at first and by the middle seemed to hit a groove. I liked it.
-Isaac. Meh, he's only in one episode
-Kimbley, Nooo!!! I want my cynical kimbley. This guy..
-Flashback, Vic sounds young! Good. And it was a convincing performance. Can't wait till next week!!
-Mustang. There we go! Such an improvement even from just last anime.
-Riza. We'll see.
-Lust. Heck yes

Overall, i'm p***ed about the opening getting cut. I wanted to see freaking HOHO! Give me my young hoho/xerxes transmution circle!
Lack of eyecatches was dissapointing

Lack of preview p***ed me off.

Dub overall though. 9/10

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Feb 14 2010, 12:00 AM
Post #206

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

I forgot how weird this episode was and how they tried to cram in so much introduction to characters and concepts prematurely and yet there was plenty of action. You sort of have to catch your breath afterwards.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Vlyse
post Feb 14 2010, 12:46 AM
Post #207

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,791

This episode was really fast-paced. I recorded it and then played it shortly after the Adult Swim premiere just try to fathom how badly the themes were cut, especially the OP. And to make sure there were indeed no eyecatches. And no preview for the next episode. And I had watched the entire episode for a second time tonight. Wow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jen_Elric
post Feb 14 2010, 06:44 AM
Post #208

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 9,551

Other than the fact that i'm mad over the intro cut, the episode was good! I had to get used to the voices again, but boy, I sure missed Ed being voiced by Vic! I love Romi, dont' get me wrong, she fantastic. But I started waatching the 1st anime dubbed. And I always thought vic really fit as Ed.
Maxey Whitehead- First, I was, "Oh, AL sounds sooo cute!". Then, she made him sound almost drone. By the end, I was satisfied. She did great, once she got used to it.
No preview?! That's stupid, especially since they had previews for the old series.
Still, can't wait for the next one!

--------------------

Phyco-girl made my siggy! She's so cool! ^_^
My Family! (Wanna join the Elric family? Please PM me and I'll add you to the family list!)
Little Sisters: ~.:Anime Gal:.~, ~FMAgurl~, Kit, Azura Elric, chocolate_eds_everywhere, Kakashi's#1 girlfriend, FullMetalAlchemist01FAN, Kal Rommel
Brothers:«°~Envy™~°», Mustang's apprentice, niagra flame, Jamal Mana alchemist, bloodlust alchemist

+Quote Post
EveningAlchemist
post Feb 14 2010, 01:50 PM
Post #209

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,198

Whee! I must say I really had a blast watching that, especially with the dub cast back. I have a lot of respect for the original Japanese, but hearing it in my own language is an entirely different experience! I found myself just laughing more when I heard their voices. I was surprised by Al's new voice throughout the episode but I think its pretty damn adorable, and yet there's still a bit of young boy strength in there. I totally approve. (Not that I can disapprove of anything FMA...) laugh.gif I just realized how much I missed Vic as Ed, and I'm glad other peoples feel that way too. I mean, did you hear him during the flashback to their human transmutation?! It gave me shivers all over! Can't wait for episode 2. Really.

This episode, despite not being part of the manga, was actually a good place to start the show. Lots of action, and introductions of characters with good humor, not to mention a start to a deeper plot... It makes me all excited even though I know the entire plot from start to finish!

Excuse me while I go watch it again, and again, and again. Best Valentine's day EVER! wub.gif

I know they cut the OP and ED... but hey, it's a MILLION times better than cutting part of the show.

--------------------

If you have attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an
array, copy and paste this in your signature.

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Feb 14 2010, 03:02 PM
Post #210

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

QUOTE (deet-tastic @ Feb 14 2010, 06:47 AM) *
Lack of eyecatches was dissapointing

Ha, forgot about those. I'm not too fussed, seen them all already and after a few episodes they get rather annoying.

-Loved Travis, definitely an improvement on last series, which looks promising.
-Not too sure about Riza, she sounded decidedly different but that said, we've heard one line so far. I'll pass greater judgment when I hear more.
-Wow. Hearing another voice for Al was strange, at first I just thought 'this sounds way too girly' but in the end I think it got better.
-Ed, well, all I can say is I'm glad they kept Vic. I really can't imagine Ed with another voice.
-Elysia was kind of annoying, but little girls in anime are always annoying.
-As for lack of previews, they aren't really necessary anyway.

Also, EveningAlchemist, I totally know what you mean about finding it funnier. I found the same thing, it's more satisfying in your own language I always find.

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2016 - 08:24 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css