HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood, How each/both series measures up in your opinion? (Spoiler Warning!
FMA-1 Vs. FMA:Brotherhood Discussion: Comaparing FMA-1 anime series vs FMA:Brotherhood
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 287
Guests cannot vote 
FailToImpress
post Feb 4 2010, 02:32 PM
Post #181

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 62,174

^Yeah I agree actually. smile.gif
I think the job they've done is a pretty good one myself, there are minor flaws but really, that's all I see them as. It's nothing major as other people seem to make out. I mean, it could've been a LOT worse.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rzerox21xx
post Feb 4 2010, 03:01 PM
Post #182

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,867

QUOTE (FailToImpress @ Feb 4 2010, 02:32 PM) *
^Yeah I agree actually. smile.gif
I think the job they've done is a pretty good one myself, there are minor flaws but really, that's all I see them as. It's nothing major as other people seem to make out. I mean, it could've been a LOT worse.

I gladly use brotherhood to get some friends into anime when they are just casual fans and if they want a more detailed story, I'll introduce them to the manga. I do have friends who love anime don't feel like reading a book or manga. So brotherhood can appeal to them and introduce them to the closest loyal adaptation of arakawa work.

OT: sidenote Despite Kenshin having a medicore tokyo arc, the kyoto arc did almost make up for it in excellence.

+Quote Post
fmadiva
post Feb 14 2010, 03:11 AM
Post #183

Citizen

Member No.: 47,009

Right now Brotherhood is making me completely irritated. I was starting to think it was better than the first anime but that's not the case. The only thing that's good about Brotherhood is it finally made me read the manga which is more awesome than the first anime and the second. Brotherhood cuts out too much stuff and is drawn poorly too. Sometimes the drawing is nice but it mostly looks drained.

The 1st anime was refreshing and the characters looked more realistic(and attractive). And yes the 1st anime was too darn serious but it did so much better when it came to drama and angst. Brotherhood tends to be OVERLY-dramatic sometimes. And GOSH seeing the Brotherhood dub made me even more irritated. I'm not even going to go there.(btw In my opinion the movie was awesome!!)

--------------------
RoyxEd<3

+Quote Post
Darthcast
post Aug 11 2010, 10:18 AM
Post #184

Citizen

Member No.: 75,184

I like both, I think it's awesome they told two (almost) completely different stories.

The music in Brotherhood is far superior and the comedy is also a lot better. The thriller elements are better in the first series though. Or maybe that's only because I already knew who the villains in the military were when watching Brotherhood...

I didn't like the last two episodes of Brotherhood. The ending of the first series, together with the movie, was a lot better and more satisfying imo.

There are more illogical things in the first series though:
The names of the homunculi don't make sense at all. They should have given them normal names instead, because there's no reason why they should be named after the seven sins.

In the first series, Envy is jealous of Edward - this does not make sense to me, because he seems to hate his father and probably didn't knew him that good to begin with. Him being jealous of humanity is way more reasonable.

Lust and Gluttony are more faithful to their names in the first series... It's reasonable for someone named Lust wanting to be human, in order to actually feel lust. Although her actions seem to be more driven by love than lust.

The most illogical character in both series is Shou Tucker. He does not make sense at all. Not a tiny bit. But in Brotherhood he at least wonders why nobody understands him. rolleyes.gif

The villain in Brotherhood is also a lot better.

In the first series, four of my favorite characters died, two of them also died in Brotherhood. These two were portrayed better in the first series, so that's another plus. (I'm talking about Martha and Maes Hughes)

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Aug 14 2010, 07:06 AM
Post #185

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,416

My personal opinion is that both series are good. I used to tell that FMA 1 was better but now, as I've seen and read the whole manga, I must say they both have their faults and merits.

Brotherhood's overall story is better and more interesting. Yet, the art style is nowhere as good as in the first series. There are many faults in that department. As someone already said, some episodes were very rushed and they left out many things (like the whole Barry/Mustang telephone talk) but in some episodes some pretty good things were added like with Ed on the gate.
Music is okay but doesn't have the same impact as that of the first series. Some pieces are good like Trisha's Lullaby, Lapis Philosophorum and Stepping Along and the themes are all amazing, only Uso and Hologram are a bit weaker than others. Brotherhood got better at the end and I really enjoyed the last two episodes.

The biggest fault with Brotherhood is that it is more comedy filled than FMA 1. To me, Fma is a serious adult story dealing with various difficult themes. The over-exaggerated, manga styled comedy scenes didn't appeal to me at all. I know that Manga is more comedy-filled than FMA 1 and that the reason of Brotherhood was to make a show that would follow the style and story line manga.

Then we get to the even bigger fault, in my opinion: the show has no originality. FMA 1 was a story of its own since the manga had been nowhere near complete when it was made. Brotherhood is a slave to the manga. In some episodes, I felt like I was watching the manga, the actual chapter, with colored pictures, music and voices. I don't find that entertaining. The production staff pretty much just drew the panels again and put them in the episodes.
In that department, there could have been more creativity. Sailor Moon was originally a manga too and was turned into anime show before it was finished. Though the anime pretty much follows the manga's main story line, in side plots those two differ drastically and it doesn't make the show any less entertaining.

With Brotherhood, I would have liked to see more creativity.

Anime 1 is considered the inferior because it doesn't follow the story line of the manga. I, as probably everyone else, saw this show before Brotherhood and I love it still.

Story wise, In FMA 1, the beginning of the story is better in my opinion. The staff didn't follow the manga like it was their God and that way were able to create a touching and very believable story. The flashbacks of Elric's beginning, with their time in Rizembuul, going to Central and Nina were way better handled here than in Manga. Some characters, like Hughes, were given more screen time to build their characters and I'm sure no one can complain of being able to see more of these awesome characters.
Staying with Tucker was also a good plot point; that way the ultimate fate of Nina was more powerful. I've always wondered Nina's death scene in the manga. In manga, Edward is fifteen, already been a State Alchemist for three years and when Nina dies it's like he has not faced anything like it before and it's only then he realizes alchemy is not good. I don't believe that his years of travel wouldn't have taught him something about misuse of alchemy and hardened his soul.
In anime 1, Edward is 12 and has just started a new life, and then everything gets torn apart; First Nina, then Barry. There begins the depressing story line of Fma 1.

As I said, beginning of Anime 1 is more interesting but then, at the point where Manga and Anime differ, the story is good but not as good as the manga. Some plot points are not interesting (I've always hated the 3 episode Lab 5 battle). Yet, the story line is good in general Anime level, it just doesn't leave that powerful an impact.

In FMA 1, the music is way superior. Though the themes have been listened to so many times they are beginning to get boring, they really got people to sing along. Brotherhood and Anime 1 had some very good themes, that's a merit for both of them. Fma 1's background music is better than that of Brotherhood; it has more variety and the songs stay in mind. I never remember the music I've heard in Brotherhood after watching the episode. The art style is more realistic and pleasant to the eye. There are no kind of faults in that department.

Fma 1 is more a growing story. We see Edward in various states of his life and see him trying to survive in his depressing world. It's for different kind of audience than Brotherhood is

Now, the last of all the Villains.
Anime 1 has Homunculi and Dante, Brotherhood Father and Homunculi. I prefer the Homunculi story in Anime 1; they were once human in that show and their goal is to become human again. Especially Envy’s dilemma really brought depth into series and into Hohenheim's character. Envy's copying with the fact of being Hohenheim and Dante's son, being abandoned by his father and his endless battle with his step-brothers revealed that Homunculi aren't just puppets; they have feelings. In manga, Homunculi work for the Father to complete his everlasting plan. They have emotions too but they more like "the bad villain" type than Homunculi of the first anime.

Now, Dante's plan was to make the Philosopher's Stone to become immortal. She and Hohenheim created it and moved from body to body for hundreds of years. . Father's was to gain information; he wanted to know everything. Both of them worked for selfish reasons; they wanted to gain more than they had been given. Many complain that Dante was weaker but when you really think of it they are the same. Of course, the main reason is that Arakawa told Bones how manga was going to end and therefore the staff made the Anime 1 story line resemble that of manga. Yet, the only difference is that the plot points are expressed in different ways.

Fma 1 and Brotherhood are the same story told in different ways. When people poor-mouth FMA 1’s story, they are bashing the manga story line too and vice versa.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AXavierB
post Aug 14 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #186

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,365

This might be nitpicking on my part, but one thing I dislike about Brotherhood is the Xingese characters' flashy ninja skills. This is a series with (mostly) realistic combat, and then you have these guys leaping 20 feet in the air at superspeed and jumping from tree to tree. That sort of thing just seems like it'd be more at home in, say, Naruto.

QUOTE (Darthcast @ Aug 11 2010, 10:18 AM) *
In the first series, Envy is jealous of Edward - this does not make sense to me, because he seems to hate his father and probably didn't knew him that good to begin with. Him being jealous of humanity is way more reasonable.

That's exactly why he's jealous of Edward. His father abandoned him and went off to start a new family. Hohenheim never acknowledged Envy as his real son, because he was a homunculus. A mistake. Envy has abandonment issues and that's why he hates his father in the first place, and he hates Ed and Al for having what he believes should have been rightfully his. In my opinion, being envious of humanity for having comrades to rely on was a bit silly. If that's all he wanted, why not go make some friends or something instead of serving Father?

--------------------
"There is no such thing as wrath inside me."

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Aug 15 2010, 07:39 AM
Post #187

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,737

QUOTE (AXavierB @ Aug 14 2010, 06:21 PM) *
This might be nitpicking on my part, but one thing I dislike about Brotherhood is the Xingese characters' flashy ninja skills. This is a series with (mostly) realistic combat, and then you have these guys leaping 20 feet in the air at superspeed and jumping from tree to tree. That sort of thing just seems like it'd be more at home in, say, Naruto.

The combat isn't -that- realistic, some of the characters should have had multiple broken bones on more occasions than they're shown to. Plus you're talking about the Xingese but forgetting about Bradley, whose skills surpass even -theirs- by a mile.

+Quote Post
AXavierB
post Aug 15 2010, 02:20 PM
Post #188

Apprentice

Hmm... point taken. I guess I accept Bradley's abilities since he's a homunculus.

--------------------

+Quote Post
xMinty
post Aug 17 2010, 02:59 PM
Post #189

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,457

when I saw how many people liked brotherhood I felt dizzy.
maybe brotherhood is the more recent one so people forget how amazing the original is????
=/

--------------------

xhearter=my sister <3333
shinigami-sama ish my brother @w@

+Quote Post
AXavierB
post Aug 17 2010, 04:09 PM
Post #190

Apprentice

I certainly didn't "forget" anything. The first anime is amazing, but I love Brotherhood because I love the manga and it's great having it in animated form. I don't see why loving one means forgetting or not acknowledging the greatness of the other. In many ways, they complete each other.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Icy12
post Aug 17 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #191

Citizen

Member No.: 66,541

I didn't "forget" anything either. I watched the first anime before I read the manga. And enjoyed the manga story so much more that I just couldn't go back.

Don't get me wrong, I do visit the old series once in a blue moon, but I'll always lean more towards Brotherhood because of it's faithful manga adaptation.

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Aug 20 2010, 08:55 PM
Post #192

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,737

QUOTE (xMinty @ Aug 17 2010, 05:59 PM) *
when I saw how many people liked brotherhood I felt dizzy.
maybe brotherhood is the more recent one so people forget how amazing the original is????
=/

I saw Brotherhood right after finishing the first series. In fact, I was halfway through rewatching the first series when I picked up a huge chunk of the manga all at once (vols 9-15) at Otakon in '09. I stopped my rewatching of the first series then and there. My memories of the first series were as fresh as it gets when I realized how much more interesting the Brotherhood storyline was.

There were plot twists and developments in the manga/brotherhood storyline that I was still ruminating on a day or two after I read it. That -never- happened to me for the first series, except maybe ep 25.

+Quote Post
His Name is Unkn...
post Oct 2 2010, 07:08 PM
Post #193

Apprentice

Member No.: 40,795

FMA-1 was the first anime I ever watched, and its melancholic aesthetic, consistently detailed artwork, memorable music, subtle directing, and heartfelt narrative convinced me that hand-drawn works could be just as emotionally powerful as live action films. Since FMA's conclusion, I have had the privileged to witness the creative output of countless authors, studios, and manga writers, yet none have resonated in quite the same way as that first viewing of Fullmetal Alchemist. Whether it be the first dramatic reveal of Ed's automail, the traumatizing death of Nina and Alexander in a back alley, the shocking return of Tucker and epic battle with Slicer at Laboratory 5, Hughes' funeral, Scar's death or the terrible truth behind human transmutation, FMA knew when to exercise restraint and when to play its dramatic hand, resulting in an unparalleled mixture of action, comedy, suspense and tragedy.

As Fullmetal Achemist fans, I think most would agree, irregardless of ultimate preference for one series or the other, that Anime 1 set the bar very, very high and that Brotherhood had an immense legacy to live up to.

In my opinion, FMA2 fell far short of the greatness established by its predecessor. There are standout episodes to be sure - 4, 19, 53 and 54, 56,and 61 come to mind - and the soundtrack, new art style, and more fluid animation constituted intriguing additions to the series, but as a whole, Brotherhood was less than the sum of its parts. At its best, FMA2 felt like a very stylish companion to the manga; at its worst, it seemed a disjointed, episodic, rushed, sloppily rendered, and - though it pains me to say it - heartless retelling of a true animated classic.

I am an anime 1/manga fan first, and Brotherhood fan only regrettably and by association. To me, Brotherhood is responsible for taking the benchmark set by FMA-1 and dragging it through the stereotypical mud of shonen action/fantasy, a direction which neither Seiji Mizushima's darker aesthetic nor Hiromu Arakawa's original (and admittedly more humorous) manga can justify. The pervasive aesthetic of "Hee hee hee - it's FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST! See Ed run. See Ed fight. See Ed rage! Suddenly...TRAGEDY (insert dramatic music)," was nauseating, both because of its jarring, almost schizophrenic direction as well as for the feeling that Fullmetal Alchemist had become a name to exploit rather than a story to be respected.

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Oct 3 2010, 02:28 AM
Post #194

Apprentice

QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ Oct 3 2010, 05:08 AM) *
In my opinion, FMA2 fell far short of the greatness established by its predecessor. There are standout episodes to be sure - 4, 19, 53 and 54, 56,and 61 come to mind - and the soundtrack, new art style, and more fluid animation constituted intriguing additions to the series, but as a whole, Brotherhood was less than the sum of its parts. At its best, FMA2 felt like a very stylish companion to the manga; at its worst, it seemed a disjointed, episodic, rushed, sloppily rendered, and - though it pains me to say it - heartless retelling of a true animated classic.

I am an anime 1/manga fan first, and Brotherhood fan only regrettably and by association. To me, Brotherhood is responsible for taking the benchmark set by FMA-1 and dragging it through the stereotypical mud of shonen action/fantasy, a direction which neither Seiji Mizushima's darker aesthetic nor Hiromu Arakawa's original (and admittedly more humorous) manga can justify. The pervasive aesthetic of "Hee hee hee - it's FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST! See Ed run. See Ed fight. See Ed rage! Suddenly...TRAGEDY (insert dramatic music)," was nauseating, both because of its jarring, almost schizophrenic direction as well as for the feeling that Fullmetal Alchemist had become a name to exploit rather than a story to be respected.

I absolutely agree with you. Anime 1 was story of its own; an original anime which didn't even feel like one. All the characters were very vivid and unique, music was incomparable and the plot was very swift and, most of all, wen't to a direction no one would have expected.
Brotherhood is just a retelling of the manga and doesn't live up to either FMA1 or the Manga. As you stated, the series was stereotypical and very disappointing. They just retold the whole story, now wth voices and colors. For some reason, everything felt awkward and there were many faults in many areas. As you said, there were good moments (IMO ep 64) when you felt this was a good show but there were much more of the let-downs when everything was just thrown in together. Sometimes, I thought there must have been a bunch of directors, all working with their different areas, making no contact to others.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Oct 3 2010, 02:53 AM
Post #195

Apprentice

In my opinion, Brotherhood's greatest weakness is that it is retelling the manga; it's boring. I have read it all and when I watch the new show, I can almost tell from which book each picture has been taken from. While Anime 1 went to a different direction and brought a fresh story to the fans, Brotherhood just showed everything that we knew already, but now the story was in color and with voices. I think the animators just cut out some panels and animated them because that's what fans want. dry.gif

All in all, Brotherhood looks very cheap. The animation is okay, the same as the first one's but the art style is inferior. The colors are too bright for my taste, it makes the whole show loose much of its seriousness. The omake humour doesn't fit in the story line at all; in fact, while Anime 1 had brilliant, subtle humour, Brotherhood exaggerates everything. It seemes to me the writers thought the viewers are morons and every joke needs to come with a red arrow pointing at it.

Also, the cheapness of the show shows in the character design department. I don't know if it was the aim of the animators but the characters look ridiculous. While Anime 1 was able to keep the characters look like themselves in every scene and angle, Brotherhood doesn't care about the appearance, even if the said character plays an important role in the scene! Edward's hair looks weird, way too bright. Hughes's face is too long; he looks like a disformed ape. Hawkeye's eyes are too big and she looks liek she is hypnotized. The characters lack emotion! And don't even make me start about Havoc's muscles.

The only good thing I can think of this show is the voice acting, themes, some of the music ( although it is inferior to that of the first anime) and, I admit, some episodes were entertaining but there weren't many of them. I'm not looking forward to watching the show anytime soon. I mean, it has its moments but there are way too many faults I really doubt I'm ever going to buy it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2016 - 02:15 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css