HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 20: Father Before The Grave - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! May contain spoilers for the first 20 episodes!!
Tombow
post Aug 15 2009, 11:55 PM
Post #1

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 5. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 20 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 20 episodes.

* Where to watch this episode

* HD Screen caps of this episode to be posted on this link address sometime later

* Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site:
(Translation by Tombow, with episode title from official sub on Funimation.com)
Episode 20: "Father Before the Grave"
TBF.... (currently I'm having problem opening up pages on the official JP site.. I'll fill in this one later. ^^)

=======================================

Episode Summary: (To be filled)

Characters in this episode: (To be filled)

Locations: (excluding review and preview scenes, to be filled)

Sound Track info for this episode that's known to us so far: (To be filled)

FMA manga reference: To the readers of FMA manga (To be filled)

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Aug 16 2009, 01:52 AM
Post #2

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 60,921

My initial thoughts on the episode:

- Yay, Hoho papa! But I don't think he has the same voice as in th efirst series, too bad.
- I don't need to see Winry react to every little thing that upsets her (which is everything)
- That damn Italian bistro music! Somebody serve Winry some ziti to cheer her up, already!
- Gravedigging scene seemed somewhat less intense as in the manga
- Some of vol 11's needless overexplaining
- And they say the first series was melodramatic...

An okay episode, but a big come down from last week. Then again, pretty much anything would be.

Damn, I might not be here next week to give early impressions, because I might be out of town.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
amestris_star
post Aug 16 2009, 03:18 AM
Post #3

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 67,594

Screenshots: http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/08/16...brotherhood-20/

And it seems that there's no ep next week from what the blog says...

--------------------

"I'm sorry... thank you..."
Credit for signature art goes to: http://www.geocities.jp/yn_cq/ for the amazing Royai artwork! And to Michiyo for the avatar coloring!

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Aug 16 2009, 03:35 AM
Post #4

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

Winry looking at Ed's back.....*sigh* I loved that part if the manga so much it's what inspired me to write my manga based fanfic. Now it's in anime form I'm in the midst of editing it a few years later. Colour me obssesed.

Well if what penguintruth said is right I'm a little dissapointed. I know Winry does get upset but part of her appeal in the manga was she wasn't as much of a moaner as she was in the anime...but we're heading right back there.

Still, I shall have to see the episode to judge for myself. As for no episode next week...darn it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zii
post Aug 16 2009, 03:45 AM
Post #5

Citizen

Member No.: 10,818

QUOTE (amestris_star @ Aug 16 2009, 07:48 PM) *
And it seems that there's no ep next week from what the blog says...

I knew it! I was going to post about that, but for the life of me couldn't remember where I'd read of it. Must have been on LJ somewhere...

And OMG. I bluescreened right before the one gag I thought they'd not leave intact (Ling & Ran Fan pigging out)! Damn you, mysteriously dodgy computer that crashes right when I don't want it to >V
And damn you, sports always getting in the way of my favourite shows!

Anyway
I just want to say, I loved Ed's laugh. *n*
Also, something between this Hohenheim and manga Hoho is amiss. He's a bit depressing when he doesn't have his gag moments... the VA might have something to do with it too.

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Aug 16 2009, 03:50 AM
Post #6

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 3,267

I have not seen the episode yet but I never felt anything was all that melodramatic in these chapters. Nothing bad happens to the characters in these chapters. In fact it's quite the opposite they move forward and realize there is a way to get Al's body back. And then there is Al telling Ed to get over his ridiculous guilt complex.

I also loved all the explanations in these chapters. For one thing it is nice that Ed & Al actually share information. That to me actually shows how close they are. And I always loved the reveal of why the thing they made was moving that day.

But I have a feeling with all this stuff they have to include in one episode I am sure I will be unhappy about something.

+Quote Post
alphonse-fma
post Aug 16 2009, 04:36 AM
Post #7

Citizen

Member No.: 60,352

Ow no !!!!!! NO episode next week

+Quote Post
ed elric lover
post Aug 16 2009, 06:17 AM
Post #8

Citizen

Member No.: 69,055

i seen that episode today but seeing edward laughing like light i laughed too

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Aug 16 2009, 07:46 AM
Post #9

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

-I think they cut out some good scenes, but overall, they did it pretty well.

-I don't think Hohenheim got done enough justice for his character development. It's just like, "Lolhey, everything u ever worked for was in vein. Kthxbai." No muttering in front of her grave about how she left him. No hairstyle scene with Ed. No "I seem to have lost my house, Pinako." scene. That really does not suit my fancy, I tell you.

-And what the hell!? They cut out the part of Ed making a grave for the thing!? How could they!? That was freakin' imortant!! mad.png

-I'm glad they at least tried to explain the situation with Al's body as best they could. That scene wasn't bad.

-The voice acting of Hohenheim was... alright. I guess. Not the best, but whatever, I'll get used to it. I think the guy needs to speak up, though.

-Ed sounded like a girl at the beginning of his hysterical laugh. Didn't he? I think so. But the vomitting voice acting was done well. I liked that.

-Looking forward to the next episode. Looks like another battle with Scar. I hope they keep the scenes of how they lured him there, and they don't just stick him there randomly. Ah, hell. I know that's what they're gonna do. dry.gif

-Episode after next. <3 No need to say more.

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
Fee
post Aug 16 2009, 10:34 AM
Post #10

Citizen

Member No.: 70,491

All.. the eye... twitching...

I swear, whenever someone's traumatized (but not full of RAGE) it's like their eyebrows are possessed by hyperactive crickets.

I was a little disappointed by the missing hairstyle scene, but oh, well. Maybe Hoho will have his quirky moments later on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jen_Elric
post Aug 16 2009, 11:30 AM
Post #11

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 9,551

QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Aug 16 2009, 10:46 AM) *
-I think they cut out some good scenes, but overall, they did it pretty well.

-I don't think Hohenheim got done enough justice for his character development. It's just like, "Lolhey, everything u ever worked for was in vein. Kthxbai." No muttering in front of her grave about how she left him. No hairstyle scene with Ed. No "I seem to have lost my house, Pinako." scene. That really does not suit my fancy, I tell you.

-And what the hell!? They cut out the part of Ed making a grave for the thing!? How could they!? That was freakin' imortant!! mad.png

I haven't even SEEN this episode and already I'm not happy. No hairstyle scene?! I love that scene cuz Ed really doesn't want to be like his father.
No "Pinako, I have seem to have lost my house"?! That line is so cute! I LOVE that line!><

And I can't believe that they don't have Ed making a grave for the "Thing" he and Al created. It shows how moral he is. Did they at least have him Mention making a grave?
Ugh.

--------------------

Phyco-girl made my siggy! She's so cool! ^_^
My Family! (Wanna join the Elric family? Please PM me and I'll add you to the family list!)
Little Sisters: ~.:Anime Gal:.~, ~FMAgurl~, Kit, Azura Elric, chocolate_eds_everywhere, Kakashi's#1 girlfriend, FullMetalAlchemist01FAN, Kal Rommel
Brothers:«°~Envy™~°», Mustang's apprentice, niagra flame, Jamal Mana alchemist, bloodlust alchemist

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Aug 16 2009, 12:29 PM
Post #12

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

I wanted the hairstyle scene too, I think just that little moment summed up Ed's feelings towards his father perfectly...to NOT be his son in any way.

Not sure how I felt about the digging scene. I liked how Ed doubled over in pain and how determined he was to keep on going but something felt missing.

Did anyone else feel the music at the end was a little...detached from what was actually showing? It just seemed over dramatic, as if to jazz the scene up a bit. I actually paused the video to check something else hadn't started playing.

The shine on Al's armour looking like tears...clever.

Winry looking at Ed's back was actually highlighted more than I expected it to be, freeze frame and zoom and end! Not a problem for someone like me of course and hopefully an omen of what is to come in a couple episodes time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Aug 16 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #13

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 3,267

I am wondering if they cut some of the comedy scenes with Hohenheim because they wanted him to seem more mysterious. But it is a shame because that hair scene is one of my favorites. Hohenheim really knows how to annoy Ed.

+Quote Post
Womie
post Aug 16 2009, 12:41 PM
Post #14

Citizen

Member No.: 69,364

Does it seems to me, that Ed has longer hair in this episode? ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alzea
post Aug 16 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #15

Alchemists

Member No.: 54,118

Good episode (19 was better but hey last episode was pure epicness and compared to it everything somehow is not good enough). It looks like next week...wait, no episode next week, darn -.- I watched this ep only in raw (ok, there were subs, but chinese) so I can't say much, but they cut comedy scenes (hair comment T^T), Hoho part seemed kind of rushed. I liked Ed's yell, don't really know why xD

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2016 - 04:44 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css